Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Unless you're just talking about the last two games, which isn't a season-long trend, I don't see it.

Yes, the last 2 games. Although I suspect if the Sabres would have gone on a losing streak in March we would've seen ZOMGTHEREFS!!! posts then too.

Shutout, then a 5 goal game, this is the same inconsistency that has plagued Ryan Miller all season long.

Miller is the better Goalie, but If I'm Lindy Ruff I'm considering Enroth for game 3...

If I'm Ruff I am more worried about team discipline then anything else.

I liked the energy the guys had, not too worried - yet. If Miller finds his zone early and stays in it we'll be fine.

Like the line moves Ruff made in the 3rd. I think he's found something there - there was a Neidermayer sighting this game and shifting Connolly and then Boyse to the outside puts Boyse back where he is more comfortable and gives the Flyers coach something to think about before the next game.

I liked the energy the guys had, not too worried - yet. If Miller finds his zone early and stays in it we'll be fine.

Like the line moves Ruff made in the 3rd. I think he's found something there - there was a Neidermayer sighting this game and shifting Connolly and then Boyse to the outside puts Boyse back where he is more comfortable and gives the Flyers coach something to think about before the next game.

Sabres hockey is disciplined, good defensive hockey and the Flyers goated us into playing their game in my opinion.(fun to watch)

At least one poster used the "fluke goal off a skate" excuse to try to dismiss the loss as a combo of bad calls and crappy goals.

Gat Damm we should have never gotten rid of that runt. He'd look real good centering Boyes and Stafford about now.

So we're going to continue the long-standing trend of putting down fans for being fans; in this case, a game-day thread where the game features lots of penalties and, my God, the fans are complaining about the penalties - in addition we're going to once again whine about losing Briere many seasons ago now?

Seriously? Who is worse, the people who complain about the refs, the people who complain about the fans complaining about the refs, or the people who drag up a four-year-old front-office SNAFU?

Are you guys trying to position yourselves as the "elite" posters or something? In a thread where you have time to review plays, check stats and facts, and think about what you're writing, I totally agree that people need to have their sh!t straight before hitting the "post" button - but in a game-day thread that plays out at the same time as the game itself, all bets are off. People are people and their emotions and excitement color their posts.

You guys trying to set yourselves "above" that are embarassing yourselves - certainly there must be a better way to raise your self-esteem.

Sabres hockey is disciplined, good defensive hockey and the Flyers goated us into playing their game in my opinion.

Yeah I agree. Didn't mean "energy" as taking stupid penalties, just liked the way we were moving the puck in the 3rd and gaining their zone. If they can find that happy medium between playing aggressive yet smart I think we'll be good. If we get an early lead it wouldn't hurt either then we could play more of our game.

We did chase their rookie goalie out of the net, not all to sure if that was a good thing Booocher played well.

So we're going to continue the long-standing trend of putting down fans for being fans; in this case, a game-day thread where the game features lots of penalties and, my God, the fans are complaining about the penalties - in addition we're going to once again whine about losing Briere many seasons ago now?

Seriously? Who is worse, the people who complain about the refs, the people who complain about the fans complaining about the refs, or the people who drag up a four-year-old front-office SNAFU?

Are you guys trying to position yourselves as the "elite" posters or something? In a thread where you have time to review plays, check stats and facts, and think about what you're writing, I totally agree that people need to have their sh!t straight before hitting the "post" button - but in a game-day thread that plays out at the same time as the game itself, all bets are off. People are people and their emotions and excitement color their posts.

You guys trying to set yourselves "above" that are embarassing yourselves - certainly there must be a better way to raise your self-esteem.

LOL

You don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot now, do you? It goes both ways.

If I'm Ruff I am more worried about team discipline then anything else.

Team discipline, and stupid turnovers and giveaways.

Myers had his second bad game in a row, Sekera was on the ice for 3 GAA as far as I could see.

I like that Vanek got two goals, and on the PP to boot. I liked our energy level, and I liked that we didn't let them push us around.

But they seriously need to put a lid on the stupid crosscheckings and trips.

Much like I expected. Even the positive rose coloured glasses type posters are bitchin and whining. Why so negative fellas? Relax,we got our split in their barn and we're coming home.

+1

Just a little while ago, I didn't think this team would even make the playoffs. They just split the first two away games against what I think is a pretty good team. So I'm happy with that, even though I admit I was swearing a lot at the tv during game 2.Now for what I have really been waiting for. Playoff game. At home. You have the last change. The coach is able to put you out there against those he expects you to have some success against. If you succeed, in the many ways this can be measured, I want you on my team going forward. If you fail, I wish you luck wherever the future takes you. I expect sustained offensive zone pressure, and all the good things that come from it.

And yes, I think this question has already been answered in previous playoff games for some players. I'm just saying, there's a new set of eyes on them, and a home playoff game is the best possible test for a player I can think of.

Good post

Correct, and then there are those who are just complaining.

The biggest thing that needs to be addressed is the team's nerves, and that's easy enough. They sent a message yesterday that they won't be pushed around, and that was an important step.

Agreed.

I also agree with the idea the discipline is sorely lacking. I'm pretty sure a lot of that is just how green they are. What also concerns me is if they have any more blue line mishaps they get even greener.

I think the extra physical was a ploy. Now after establishing that they won't be pushed around and allow Philly to play that game I expect them to back off and go back to playing hockey for the next 2 home games.

What I will watch to see is what players can re-focus on hockey and what players' heads they did get into. Those are the players I do not want back on next years SC team. I don't expect them to win a SC this year but I can definitely see us playing another round if we go back to playing less 4-5.

These kids can't get more playoff hockey experience any other way then what they are doing, can it be better play hell yeah but it's got to start somewhere.

Go Buff'a'lo

How many games have the folks on this thread watched over the years, collectively? Could it be in the millions? Okay, next question. In a non-fight-filled contest, what percentage of the time do you see the officials injecting themselves into the flow and outcome of a game as much as they did last night? I bet it's 5% of the time at best. When ESPN and just about every other sports reporting entity points out the number of penalties called in the game, IT WAS A FACTOR.

I gather we should should ignore it all and simply focus on the Sabres' "undisciplined" play. That we should simply assume that no NHL game is influenced by officiating. Sorry, I see it differently and I'm going to post my thoughts about it. After a wild first period, when all of us were thinking, "Holy cow! What a period!" we got a second period marred with calls, several (not all) that I'd call marginal for a playoff hockey game. I wanted an exciting second period like the first. Instead, the zebras got more face time than Gerbe got ice time. Other posters have commented on the non-calls being just as dubious. I would disagree slightly on that: the non-calls were frustrating because they're compared to some of the more questionable calls that were made.

I fully expect (and will be shocked to see otherwise) the officials will make dubious calls in the Sabres' favor on Buffalo's home ice. It shouldn't be that way, but that's what I'd expect to see. Personally, I'd rather have the stripes stay the hell out of it and call only the truly egregious and obvious infractions. How can guys taking a dive when an opponent breathes on them be good for the NHL product, particularly during the playoffs?

Lastly, I'd like nothing better than to talk strategy, tactics, goals, mistakes, great plays, etc.

Shutout, then a 5 goal game, this is the same inconsistency that has plagued Ryan Miller all season long.

Miller is the better Goalie, but If I'm Lindy Ruff I'm considering Enroth for game 3...

Why are we considering Enroth for anyting right now? Please review all 5 goals and then show me which ones any goalie could have stopped? We had screened by weber and short side. We had saved then sekera didnt tie up a guys stick and made the easy goal. We had off brier's skate and in. We had off the inside of the post and in and I dont remember the other goal. Its not millers inconsistency its our YOUNG DEFENSE'S. ITS CALLED GROWING PAINS, Deal with it.

Final thought: There are 4 series that are tied and 4 series that someone went up 2-0 so I am not really worried about it.

Nice. :thumbsup:

Absolutely! My frustration on this topic is due to a season long trend on this board to excuse away bad plays and performances by blaming the officials. I would never say NHL officiating is great, it has just become a type crutch for some fans.

A bigger concern IMO is that the Sabres may have let Philly up off of the mat. They have far too much talent on that roster and a game like yesterday can be a slump buster.

Also,

Briere's goal was 100% an intentional play. I thought so when they showed him on the bench after the play and looking at replays now I am convinced even more.

You are funny. If the team is as fragile as you, and you suggest--that losing yesterday lets Philly up off the mat--then they are going nowhere anyway. It's a 7 game series for ch&^%sake. You better be able to handle mistakes and adversity.

My thoughts.

I disagree with the comments made about Miller just a few up from this post. Miller was awful early and that hurt the team. I'd say he 2 of the first 3 shouldn't go in. That's my opinion. Boucher made some sick saves. Miller makes the tough saves early, the game is over.

The defense was too soft in front of the net. Allowing Carcillo to have a free shot after that awful rebound was terrible. And on Briere's goal, seriously, move him out of there.

Penalties? Terrible calls both ways. Somewhere along the way the refs have to call the real penalties, not the ticky tacks. Nobody wants to watch that much powerplay time. Awful game by the zebras.

Effort. Love it. The Sabres are clearly not afraid of the Flyers and that bodes well.

Should be up 2 zip.

Let's take care of business at home.

Here's my 2 cents on that game:

1. As in game 1, the refs were not the reason the Sabres lost. It was poor team defense and, once again, poor execution from the alleged "top 6."

2. Vanek delivered in the 1st period but both he and the PP did nothing in the 2nd and 3rd, when the game was there to be won or lost.

3. Myers and Pommer were both terrible. Sekera was also lousy in failing to tie guys up in front of Miller.

4. Ennis also played poorly, although I'm inclined to give him a bit of a break since he's a rookie.

5. Stafford: invisible again.

6. I liked the Sabres' physical play and determination. They just need to play better team defense. Giroux's goal was inexcusable, and Carcillo's and Briere's were also poor defensive efforts.

7. Monty bounced back from game 1 with a very nice game 2.

8. The Sabres had a chance to really take a commanding position in this series last night and they blew it. It's very hard to come back from blown opportunities in the playoffs. We'll see what this team is made of in games 3 and 4.

How many games have the folks on this thread watched over the years, collectively? Could it be in the millions? Okay, next question. In a non-fight-filled contest, what percentage of the time do you see the officials injecting themselves into the flow and outcome of a game as much as they did last night? I bet it's 5% of the time at best. When ESPN and just about every other sports reporting entity points out the number of penalties called in the game, IT WAS A FACTOR.

I gather we should should ignore it all and simply focus on the Sabres' "undisciplined" play. That we should simply assume that no NHL game is influenced by officiating. Sorry, I see it differently and I'm going to post my thoughts about it. After a wild first period, when all of us were thinking, "Holy cow! What a period!" we got a second period marred with calls, several (not all) that I'd call marginal for a playoff hockey game. I wanted an exciting second period like the first. Instead, the zebras got more face time than Gerbe got ice time. Other posters have commented on the non-calls being just as dubious. I would disagree slightly on that: the non-calls were frustrating because they're compared to some of the more questionable calls that were made.

I fully expect (and will be shocked to see otherwise) the officials will make dubious calls in the Sabres' favor on Buffalo's home ice. It shouldn't be that way, but that's what I'd expect to see. Personally, I'd rather have the stripes stay the hell out of it and call only the truly egregious and obvious infractions. How can guys taking a dive when an opponent breathes on them be good for the NHL product, particularly during the playoffs?

Lastly, I'd like nothing better than to talk strategy, tactics, goals, mistakes, great plays, etc.

+1

Call the real penalties, not the iffy ones. And when a guy facewashes another guy and they end up grappling, don't call an extra two for the second guy pulling the first one down to the ice. That was a joke!

1. As in game 1, the refs were not the reason the Sabres lost. It was poor team defense and, once again, poor execution from the alleged "top 6."

2. Vanek delivered in the 1st period but both he and the PP did nothing in the 2nd and 3rd, when the game was there to be won or lost.

3. Myers and Pommer were both terrible. Sekera was also lousy in failing to tie guys up in front of Miller.

4. Ennis also played poorly, although I'm inclined to give him a bit of a break since he's a rookie.

6. I liked the Sabres' physical play and determination. They just need to play better team defense. Giroux's goal was inexcusable, and Carcillo's and Briere's were also poor defensive efforts.

8. The Sabres had a chance to really take a commanding position in this series last night and they blew it. It's very hard to come back from blown opportunities in the playoffs. We'll see what this team is made of in games 3 and 4.

I cannot disagree more with your opinion on Montador. I thought he played horribly. He got absolutley burned on that one Richards breakaway that forced him to trip him up. And he seemed totally absent in front of Miller although the same could be said for a lot of defensemen last night.

3. I hope that was just Sekera shaking some rust off, because he needs to be a LOT better. So does Myers. Pominville didn't really stick out to me one way or the other.

4. All of the rookies seemed to have jitters last night; couldn't settle the puck down, etc. This should be the easiest thing to fix, though, which is good.

5. Yep.

6. This ties in with the penalties. Seemed like the strategy last night, and I'm fine with it, was to bank the one game lead and spend game two: (1) taking more chances offensively AND (2) sending a message to Filly that the Sabres aren't going to be messed with. Those who think the Sabres don't take care of their own business often enough have to be happy with that--and have to accept the consequential penalties. The Gerbe bodyslam was just awesome.

I think you'll see more discipline at home because the Sabres already have sent the message. And I think the kids will settle down a bit.

Why are we considering Enroth for anyting right now? Please review all 5 goals and then show me which ones any goalie could have stopped? We had screened by weber and short side. We had saved then sekera didnt tie up a guys stick and made the easy goal. We had off brier's skate and in. We had off the inside of the post and in and I dont remember the other goal. Its not millers inconsistency its our YOUNG DEFENSE'S. ITS CALLED GROWING PAINS, Deal with it.

Final thought: There are 4 series that are tied and 4 series that someone went up 2-0 so I am not really worried about it.

The team Rally's around Enroth and it does both Enroth and Miller good to split duties, 2 thirds Miller, one third Enroth in my opinion. Especially considering Miller is coming back from an injury and game 4 is probably going to be the most crucial game of the series. Give Enroth a turn then put Miller back in Net on game 4.

The team Rally's around Enroth and it does both Enroth and Miller good to split duties, 2 thirds Miller, one third Enroth in my opinion. Especially considering Miller is coming back from an injury and game 4 is probably going to be the most crucial game of the series. Give Enroth a turn then put Miller back in Net on game 4.

No.

game was simple...cant win when u spend half the time with only 4 guys on the ice. the pk was awesome, for the amount of time they played, it was great. i think everything else is irrelevent, untill u can play consistent full strength hockey, everything else is secondary. with 29 penalty minutes and only losing by a goal, i say play clean 5 0n 5 hockey and its a win.

sabres lost to themselves last night. both upsetting and encouraging

Archived