Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

We beat ourselves in that game. You will not win when you take 13 penalties in one game, especially not in a road playoff game. Discipline, we did not have any at all. We wasted more than half a period of play trying to kill off a man advantage. And the defense at times was very weak. Not feeling as good now for monday.

We beat ourselves in that game. You will not win when you take 13 penalties in one game, especially not in a road playoff game. Discipline, we did not have any at all. We wasted more than half a period of play trying to kill off a man advantage. And the defense at times was very weak. Not feeling as good now for monday.

I feel okay....because as ###### and as undisciplined as we were, we didn't get rocked or anything. They were equally as unimpressive.

The Sabres lost. They didn't get beat. If we get to Boucher early on Monday, goodnight. Philly has to decide what style they want to play against us. Fortunately for us, we get the last line change on Monday and it will be a whole different flavor. Sabres in 6.

GO SABRES!!!

Terrible game by the Sabres today. Normally you could cite effort but really they just played dumb and confused all game long.

That's a stupid assessment. You don't score four goals by playing 'dumb and confused'. They played well but took some bad penalties that Miller didn't bail them out on tonight. I think we come home, take a few less penalties, and learn from this game not to let Philly draw us in emotionally.

I honestly think the best thing the Sabre can do is play a more defensive game and let Philly's goalies make the big mistakes. That will win morale and games.

I feel okay....because as ###### and as undisciplined as we were, we didn't get rocked or anything. They were equally as unimpressive.

I don't know what to think yet. There's a lot of guys who just didn't show up. Stafford, Pominville, Ennis, Connolly. Where were they? As for Miller, I don't know whether to call this partially his fault or not. But seeing that there were 13 penalties, I don't blame him. I'm just interested to see how Lindy reacts to this game and how hard we come out next game.

I don't know what to think yet. There's a lot of guys who just didn't show up. Stafford, Pominville, Ennis, Connolly. Where were they? As for Miller, I don't know whether to call this partially his fault or not. But seeing that there were 13 penalties, I don't blame him. I'm just interested to see how Lindy reacts to this game and how hard we come out next game.

I'm sensing a huge line shakeup for next game. Noone in the top 6 other than Vanek has had an impact so far this series.

I'm betting Lindy goes back to something he did last season, put a plumber on every line, try to inject some energy into the goal scorers.

A couple of positives: I love how Gragnani is responding to his first playoff action. Ditto for Gerbe. Our "bottom" two lines are generating chances and playing hard. Kaleta and McCormick have goals, which is a good sign. Also, Vanek is stepping up as usual.

As for the negatives... IMHO, the usual stuff that we've seen from certain individuals over the past few seasons applies... if you are going to pay guys top dollar, they should set up their game in the playoffs, not the opposite.

Terrible game by the Sabres today. Normally you could cite effort but really they just played dumb and confused all game long.

Dumb, true. But I'd be much more concerned if the effort wasn't there.

GO SABRES!!!

I think Philly knows that to beat Miller, shoot to his post side, and get traffic in front of him. I thought 2 he could have had. I'd still say the goals were a team letdown including Miller, but Miller kept the game close making big saves late in the 3rd. Sabres need to take more shots and crash the net for rebounds. Our guys spend too much time setting up shots and usually miss a scoring chance.

Where were they? Taking a backseat to our penalty killers, lol.

A couple of positives: I love how Gragnani is responding to his first playoff action. Ditto for Gerbe. Our "bottom" two lines are generating chances and playing hard. Kaleta and McCormick have goals, which is a good sign. Also, Vanek is stepping up as usual.

As for the negatives... IMHO, the usual stuff that we've seen from certain individuals over the past few seasons applies... if you are going to pay guys top dollar, they should set up their game in the playoffs, not the opposite.

All the goodwill Stafford generated with the fans this season is being lost in just a couple games. He has been invisible.

I'm sensing a huge line shakeup for next game. Noone in the top 6 other than Vanek has had an impact so far this series.

I'm betting Lindy goes back to something he did last season, put a plumber on every line, try to inject some energy into the goal scorers.

Connolly and Pominville have been great on the PK. Sabres wouldn't have been in either game without them.

Game thoughts...

- Four consecutive AWFUL power plays at the end of the 2nd period/1st half of the 3rd period.

- 2nd consecutive game where the Top 6 were invisible 5 on 5. If it doesn't change the Sabres will not win the series.

- Boyes, Vanek & Montador with an effort not conducive to playoff hockey on the 1st Flyers goal.

- Gerbe was arguably one of the top 4 forwards down the stretch, but he cannot get a sniff of PP time. Excellent coaching strategy.

- Stupid penalties! I haven't read any of the posts in this thread yet and I am really hoping that no one is blaming the loss on the officiating. Except for Gerbe getting a double minor and Giroux a single minor, I have no complaints about the refereeing.

- I think Weber has been our best defensemen through the first two games.

- I don't know what the final scoring chances were, but the Sabres didn't overwork Boucher.

- Miller has to make the save on the 4th goal. You can see him shift towards the middle of the net as he goes into the butterfly and the puck ends up going in the short side(right where he should have been).

- Not as much physical play. Seemed more like a regular season game(except for the 50 scrums after the whistle)

On to game 3.

All the goodwill Stafford generated with the fans this season is being lost in just a couple games. He has been invisible.

I'm starting to worry that there's a Tyler Durden thing going on with you and I because I was about to post this. He's done NOTHING offensively. He did look good on the PK a couple times but I'm back to hoping we trade him for a center this offseason.

I think Philly knows that to beat Miller, shoot to his post side, and get traffic in front of him. I thought 2 he could have had. I'd still say the goals were a team letdown including Miller, but Miller kept the game close making big saves late in the 3rd. Sabres need to take more shots and crash the net for rebounds. Our guys spend too much time setting up shots and usually miss a scoring chance.

Agreed. Too many times tonight we didn't shoot, or when we did we had no one out front... Sucked. I get tired of guys taking the zone with momentum, then wrapping behind the net rather than firing a wrister...

For those of us who wish we could watch some good, hard playoff hockey, the officiating was WAY TOO MUCH a factor in this game. Fine if you want to say the Sabres took some dumb penalties, but for every one of those, there was at least one that was suspect, at best. For both teams, to be sure, but the stripes were a joke the entire game. This wasn't a game filled with brawling and ugly cheap shots - the penalties were for the most part ridiculous, ticky tacky calls.

I agree with the post saying Philly nearly blew it despite the gifts in the second period. This game tells you the Sabres can beat the Flyers, no doubt, if the ice isn't tilted.

Dammit. I hate when they lose. Hate it.

THIS.

Off the top of my head, put Vanek on the line with Gerbe and Gaustad instead of Kaleta.

That was one entertaining hockey game! Too bad it didn't work out, but if you weren't entertained for 3 hours there, I don't know what to tell you.

I was too frustrated by the Sabres' bad hockey to really enjoy it. Plus I hate games with tons of penalties.

Archived