Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

You are funny. If the team is as fragile as you, and you suggest--that losing yesterday lets Philly up off the mat--then they are going nowhere anyway. It's a 7 game series for ch&^%sake. You better be able to handle mistakes and adversity.

Seemed like a basic concept, not sure how you weren't able to understand it.

It has nothing to do with the Sabres being "fragile." It has to do with a confidence boost to a team that has been in a bad stretch for a while now. The Flyers have a tremendous amount of talent and putting them down 2-0 would have gone a long way to keeping them down. It's the NHL playoffs, momentum can change in a instance. You don't give teams like the Flyers a second chance.

It has nothing to do with the Sabres being "fragile." It has to do with a confidence boost to a team that has been in a bad stretch for a while now. The Flyers have a tremendous amount of talent and putting them down 2-0 would have gone a long way to keeping them down. It's the NHL playoffs, momentum can change in a instance. You don't give teams like the Flyers a second chance.

So, you were expecting a sweep? Even a sweep of the opening two games? I wasn't. As you observe, this is the NHL playoffs. All of the teams are good.

I'm pretty sure the Sabres weren't trying to let them tie up the series. It's not like we blew a 3 goal lead or anything. Philly was simply the better team on this day.

The team Rally's around Enroth and it does both Enroth and Miller good to split duties, 2 thirds Miller, one third Enroth in my opinion. Especially considering Miller is coming back from an injury and game 4 is probably going to be the most crucial game of the series. Give Enroth a turn then put Miller back in Net on game 4.

The team does not RALLY around Enroth they play no offense and protect Enroth which is different. I am done having the Lets randomly start enroth a couple games in the playoffs discussion... IMO that would just lead to lockeroom drama that this team doesnt need.

Please show me more than 1 goal from the last game that MILLER let in that was SOFT/EASY go find it. Since I can vividly recall 4 of 5 goals I am gonna say our defense let the opposition shoot from PRIME locations and the flyers got lucky on a couple of deflections so yup TRADE MILLER HES TERRIBLE WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! Watch when hes good again on monday and the conversation swings back to MIller is so awesome we are so lucky to have him blah blah blah.... EPIC FAIL!

The team does not RALLY around Enroth they play no offense and protect Enroth which is different. I am done have the Lets randomly start enroth a couple games in the playoffs question... IMO that would just lead to lockeroom drama that this team doesnt need.

Please show me more than 1 goal from the last game that MILLER let in that was SOFT/EASY go find it. Since I can vividly recall 4 of 5 goals I am gonna say our defense let the opposition shoot from PRIME locations and the flyers got lucky on a couple of deflections so yup TRADE MILLER HES TERRIBLE WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! Watch when hes good again on monday and the conversation swings back to MIller is so awesome we are so lucky to have him blah blah blah.... EPIC FAIL!

I take it you didn't buy the flowers?

I'm pretty sure the Sabres weren't trying to let them tie up the series. It's not like we blew a 3 goal lead or anything. Philly was simply the better team on this day.

Right. I don't really understand his thinking. They lost, it's a best of 7. Winning game one hardly made the Flyers down and out, and his analysis assumes--incorrectly in my view. The team that is mentally tougher through the ups and downs will prevail. How the team responds to game 2 is a key, just like how Philly responded to game one.

It has nothing to do with "understanding" Clifton--what you write does not make much sense, other than being rather obvious that winning game 2 would have been better than losing it :wallbash:

I take it you didn't buy the flowers?

Actually no, i took her for dinner at Sonoma Grill for Surf an Turf after the game so she was very happy. I am just so sick how every time miller doenst stop 39-40 shots we have the Enroth or lets trade miller or bench him in the playoffs discussion. If I had to blame someone for the loss it would be our defense and the penalties. Its the growing pains of having a young defense so people will have to suffer.

Right. I don't really understand his thinking. They lost, it's a best of 7. Winning game one hardly made the Flyers down and out, and his analysis assumes--incorrectly in my view. The team that is mentally tougher through the ups and downs will prevail. How the team responds to game 2 is a key, just like how Philly responded to game one.

Yep, I agree with you.

The Sabres gave them all the help they needed. Bad penalty after bad penalty. It was a bad effort in an important spot.

Actually no, i took her for dinner at Sonoma Grill for Surf an Turf after the game so she was very happy. I am just so sick how every time miller doenst stop 39-40 shots we have the Enroth or lets trade miller or bench him in the playoffs discussion. If I had to blame someone for the loss it would be our defense and the penalties. Its the growing pains of having a young defense so people will have to suffer.

Having a good backup who brings something different to the table can change the complexity of the game and give an opponent more to think about when it comes to game planning.

This is a Sabres chat forum, people express different opinions, its what we do here...

Having a good backup who brings something different to the table can change the complexity of the game and give an opponent more to think about when it comes to game planning.

This is a Sabres chat forum, people express different opinions, its what we do here...

Don't worry about it. Once the season is over many of the posters that have issues with those with differing opinions will be gone. We go through this every season.

game was simple...cant win when u spend half the time with only 4 guys on the ice. the pk was awesome, for the amount of time they played, it was great. i think everything else is irrelevent, untill u can play consistent full strength hockey, everything else is secondary. with 29 penalty minutes and only losing by a goal, i say play clean 5 0n 5 hockey and its a win.sabres lost to themselves last night. both upsetting and encouraging

Encouraging how? The fact that we know we could have won yesterday if we took less penalties? (not disputing, just asking).

But yes, we lost to ourselves...We had WAYY too many penalties.

The team does not RALLY around Enroth they play no offense and protect Enroth which is different. I am done having the Lets randomly start enroth a couple games in the playoffs discussion... IMO that would just lead to lockeroom drama that this team doesnt need. Please show me more than 1 goal from the last game that MILLER let in that was SOFT/EASY go find it. Since I can vividly recall 4 of 5 goals I am gonna say our defense let the opposition shoot from PRIME locations and the flyers got lucky on a couple of deflections so yup TRADE MILLER HES TERRIBLE WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! Watch when hes good again on monday and the conversation swings back to MIller is so awesome we are so lucky to have him blah blah blah.... EPIC FAIL!

Saw highlights and I couldnt agree more.

Had this convo not too long ago...unlucky bounces can make a goalie look bad. But they are what they are called for a reason UNLUCKY BOUNCES.

The lack of having luck on a bouncing puck, Miller is still Miller, he isnt Lalime.

He cant cover all 24sqft of the goal mouth.

The Sabres gave them all the help they needed. Bad penalty after bad penalty. It was a bad effort in an important spot.

I wouldnt say important, it was more of a key game to take a 2-0 lead going to Buffalo (just like MTL did to Boston).

But I have a feeling that the two games in Buffalo will def. show us who wants the series more.

Encouraging how? The fact that we know we could have won yesterday if we took less penalties? (not disputing, just asking).

But yes, we lost to ourselves...We had WAYY too many penalties.

Saw highlights and I couldnt agree more.

Had this convo not too long ago...unlucky bounces can make a goalie look bad. But they are what they are called for a reason UNLUCKY BOUNCES.

The lack of having luck on a bouncing puck, Miller is still Miller, he isnt Lalime.

He cant cover all 24sqft of the goal mouth.

I wouldnt say important, it was more of a key game to take a 2-0 lead going to Buffalo (just like MTL did to Boston).

But I have a feeling that the two games in Buffalo will def. show us who wants the series more.

Exactly, despite the penalties the Sabres were right there. A little better goaltending and disciplined play and the main topic today is can the Sabres close the deal at home. No one thought the Sabres would sweep the series, that doesn't change the fact the Sabres let a chance to do just that slip by.

Exactly, despite the penalties the Sabres were right there. A little better goaltending and disciplined play and the main topic today is can the Sabres close the deal at home. No one thought the Sabres would sweep the series, that doesn't change the fact the Sabres let a chance to do just that slip by.

The defensive breakdowns are the most troubling.

The first three goals....goal #1 Giroux split 4 D and nobody took his body, goal #2 Sekera didn't tie up his man, Carcillo, goal #3 Butler got tuned inside out.

I don't think we see a replay of game #2.

Now Buffalo has to hold serve. I like our chances.

The defensive breakdowns are the most troubling.

The first three goals....goal #1 Giroux split 4 D and nobody took his body, goal #2 Sekera didn't tie up his man, Carcillo, goal #3 Butler got tuned inside out.

I don't think we see a replay of game #2.

Now Buffalo has to hold serve. I like our chances.

Win tomorrow and put the pressure back on the Flyers to not go down 3-1.

Also,

Despite the injuries I would sit Montador. He is a train wreck right now.

Only if his replacement is Leopold. I don't want anything to do with Persson at this point in the season.

Persson (and also Mancari) were officially sent down to Portland today, according to Paul Hamilton. Hopefully, that's a sign that Leopold is close, but it more than likely means Morrisonn is more or less recovered.

Persson (and also Mancari) were officially sent down to Portland today, according to Paul Hamilton. Hopefully, that's a sign that Leopold is close, but it more than likely means Morrisonn is more or less recovered.

I actually think it's more what is bolded. If Morrisonn was out due to a concussion, there's no way he's back for Monday. Given what we heard that Leopold partook in almost all of practice on Friday leads me to believe that Leopold is ready to play Monday. Not sure how practice goes/went today, but that would seem like the situation more likely to occur if I had to guess.

I do agree on Montador. He hasn't looked good these two games in Philly. Sekera looked rusty and made some bad defensive plays on Briere and Carcillo's goals. I think scratching Montador for a healthy Leopold seriously has to be considered as he's played poorly and taken some stupid penalties these first two games.

Thank you for telling me what this is. I was confused.

I think right now the only thing that Philly thinks about is getting traffic around the net and shooting a lot. Enroth might simplify but would not complicate their plans. I seem to remember Enroth getting lit up a bit by the flyers before miller relieved him. Just saying it would do much more harm then good to start Enroth as it is a defensive not goalie let down.

A tough loss in the middle of a playoff series and I am the #1 thing on your mind? Sad, truly sad.

Back to the actual hockey discussion. The idea of being happy with a split sort of loses something when you win game one. With a chance to go up 2-0 on the road, last night was a hugely important game. Just ask the Habs who are going home up 2-0.

Actually, there were many things on my mind yesterday. My post was a bit out of character for me and seeing it sober was embarrassing. I would like to apologize.

GO SABRES!!!

Miller is our guy, like it or not.....unless he sh*ts the bed really bad, then this isnt a warranted discussion. I would not wanna start enroth in the playoffs even tho he had a big part in us getting in the playoffs.

And yes lindy has to really think about sitting monty, he looks like he just started in the ahl.

Lastly, im counting on the buffalo fans to ROCK the arena, none of this talk of a library tomorrow night!!! Sabres will win 3-1 and well injure someone!!!

Archived