Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

All the goodwill Stafford generated with the fans this season is being lost in just a couple games. He has been invisible.

I disagree to some extent. Drew has led the team in shot each of the two games vs. Philly. BUT, he hasn't put any in the net, so until that happens, then yes, I agree that the goodwill will dissipate quickly.

I'm done with Pommer and Timmy personally. I just don't see them as guys who can be top-6 players on a Cup winning team. As third liners, maybe. For a combined $9 million, I want to see them taking over games. If we really want to win a Cup and not just get through a playoff series or two, we need guys who are bulls down low... Guys who are all heart...

Game thoughts...

- Four consecutive AWFUL power plays at the end of the 2nd period/1st half of the 3rd period.

- 2nd consecutive game where the Top 6 were invisible 5 on 5. If it doesn't change the Sabres will not win the series.

- Boyes, Vanek & Montador with an effort not conducive to playoff hockey on the 1st Flyers goal.

- Gerbe was arguably one of the top 4 forwards down the stretch, but he cannot get a sniff of PP time. Excellent coaching strategy.

- Stupid penalties! I haven't read any of the posts in this thread yet and I am really hoping that no one is blaming the loss on the officiating. Except for Gerbe getting a double minor and Giroux a single minor, I have no complaints about the refereeing.

- I think Weber has been our best defensemen through the first two games.

- I don't know what the final scoring chances were, but the Sabres didn't overwork Boucher.

- Miller has to make the save on the 4th goal. You can see him shift towards the middle of the net as he goes into the butterfly and the puck ends up going in the short side(right where he should have been).

- Not as much physical play. Seemed more like a regular season game(except for the 50 scrums after the whistle)

On to game 3.

One other thing...The Flyer PA announcer is unbelievably obnoxious(much worse than the obnoxious Sabres PA announcer)

I'm starting to worry that there's a Tyler Durden thing going on with you and I because I was about to post this. He's done NOTHING offensively. He did look good on the PK a couple times but I'm back to hoping we trade him for a center this offseason.

Great minds think alike.

That was one entertaining hockey game! Too bad it didn't work out, but if you weren't entertained for 3 hours there, I don't know what to tell you.

I feel like you and I are the only ones who enjoyed it haha

Too many stops and starts. And it is tough to enjoy watching your team self destruct with lousy discipline and decision making. The 1st period was enjoyable, and the 3rd kept me glued.

I thought it was a good game of hockey, despite the obvious penalties. Furthermore, I don't even know how much you can say the penalties had an impact on the game, being that Philly had 8 themselves. Bottom line, is that they beat us 4-2 in 5-on-5 play...

I was happy how hard the team fought through it and the penalty killers played extremely well considering the amount of time they were out there. I think we can beat this team.

Game thoughts...

- 2nd consecutive game where the Top 6 were invisible 5 on 5. If it doesn't change the Sabres will not win the series.

- Boyes, Vanek & Montador with an effort not conducive to playoff hockey on the 1st Flyers goal.

- Gerbe was arguably one of the top 4 forwards down the stretch, but he cannot get a sniff of PP time. Excellent coaching strategy.

I posted earlier on this thread (I think) that I am ready to see Gerbe put in the top 6. He is doing too much while too many of the top 6 are doing to little for this change not to happen. IMO Swap Gerbe for Ennis. He'll bring a ton of energy to that line. AND he'll get all the attention too, leaving Boyes and Stafford more room to work. And Gerbe belongs on the PP at this point too. He is outworking everybody else that is currently on the PP.

I wonder what Lindy sees in practice that we don't see that prevents him from putting Gerbe on the PP consistently?

The question now becomes who does Philly play on Monday, Bobrovsky or Boucher?

Doesn't matter. If it's Bobrovsky, he's gonna be pressing just because he was a sieve in this game. If it's Boucher, he's gotta play like if he screws up, he's gone.

Hell, I half expect Leighton to replace Boucher on Monday night.

GO SABRES!!!

- Stupid penalties! I haven't read any of the posts in this thread yet and I am really hoping that no one is blaming the loss on the officiating. Except for Gerbe getting a double minor and Giroux a single minor, I have no complaints about the refereeing.

Except for the fact that the refs had their heads up their collective arses in the first period (changing the penalty from Giroux to Miller to Myers???), I'd agree. The penalties were unnecessary, but legit.

That said, I think the Sabres held their own. They were the better team in the first and for most of the third. Miller was off - I think he could have stopped 3 of the shots that went in - but they could have easily won this game. Still, getting a split was the goal...anything else would have been gravy.

I'd like to see Bobrovsky, but I think it'll be Boucher.

Labialette has a decision. If he DOESN'T choose Bobo then he's telling Bobo that he has NO confidence in him. Do you do that with the goalie you hitched your wagon to? If he DOES choose Bobo, then there is HUGE pressure on the rook to come through. Hmm.

GO SABRES!!!

Except for the fact that the refs had their heads up their collective arses in the first period (changing the penalty from Giroux to Miller to Myers???), I'd agree. The penalties were unnecessary, but legit.

Was that the case or did Rick and Harry have their heads up their ######?

Labialette has a decision. If he DOESN'T choose Bobo then he's telling Bobo that he has NO confidence in him. Do you do that with the goalie you hitched your wagon to? If he DOES choose Bobo, then there is HUGE pressure on the rook to come through. Hmm.

GO SABRES!!!

This is just part of the wonderfulness that is going home with the advantage. Let Filly deal with the head games. In a game that mattered a hell of a lot more for FIlly than it did for Buffalo, Filly had to pull a goaltender.

I credited Miller with not getting too out of position in game one. Can't do it for game two. Over-committed several times to give up at least two soft ones. Boy, it was such a freaky game overall. It was there for the taking and we didn't answer when we had the power play during the back half of the game. Goaltending issues. Defensive giveaways. Several players up front who disappeared. Lots of negative drag there and we were still in it.

I live in Massachusetts. My energy and spirit are with all of you who attend games three and four -- inside the building and outside!

This is just part of the wonderfulness that is going home with the advantage. Let Filly deal with the head games. In a game that mattered a hell of a lot more for FIlly than it did for Buffalo, Filly had to pull a goaltender.

True. I think we hold all psychological advantages going into game 3. Not that they mean much. But Philly CANNOT play any better and yet they are fortunate to be tied at 1 apiece. Plus, they have goalie questions. We don't. Miller will take this game as a clunker and I LOVE how he comes out after poor games. Wouldn't surprise me if he got another shutout. Yeah, I said it.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived