Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Game 2: Sabres @ Flyers, 5 PM EST on TSN/MSG

This should be a good one. Buffalo leads the series 1-0 thanks to Patrick Kaleta's third period goal and a brilliant goaltending performance from Ryan Miller in Game 1. I think the Flyers are frustrated and probably somewhat puzzled -- they seemed to control the play for much of the game, but were unable to solve Miller. Meanwhile, the Sabres struggled to generate offense and weren't able to sustain pressure in the Philly zone very often. That needs to be fixed -- not a ding on Miller but there's just no way he can continue to single-handedly shut down that Philly offense (okay, not "single handedly" -- gotta give the defense some credit, they played pretty well in front of him), so the Sabres forwards have to find a way to match them offensively. Kaleta was a surprise hero, I expect we'll need Vanek, Connolly, Stafford, etc to step it up to win Game 2.

I thought Game 1 was ultimately a pretty even affair, but I was nervous every time Philly got it in our zone. They seemed to keep us locked in our own end for way too long and if we don't find a way to counter that, they're going to produce some goals with all that possession time. Fortunately our PK looked good and was able to kill off 5 penalties, but again, why put your PK in that position? Be disciplined. No stupid penalties. Buffalo was able to match Philly physically in Game 1 and I think that's a big reason why Kaleta was in the lineup to begin with, but I imagine as the tension and frustration build up we're going to see Carcillo or Kaleta blow up and do something stupid. It can't be Kaleta.

For the sake of not wanting to be redundant, here's some other thoughts on the game via TheSportsBuff: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=545

LET'S GO BUFFALO

I'd like to see the ref's call infractions both ways tonight, but playing as much in your own zone as the Sabres did in game 1 usually means you're gonna get called eventually.

I really hope Lindy hasn't told his guys to stop being physical due to the penalty disadvantage they suffered in game 1.

I would expect tonight's game to look very similar to Game 1. If Buffalo could cut down on turnovers (they had 13 of them) entering the ozone and halving the number of penalties they take, then there will be some additional ozone time. That said, Buffalo will be responsible defensively first and foremost. There will always be two Sabres back. We'll see a ton of 1-3-1 again. Vanek, Connolly and Pominville won't be able to maneuver until they get back to Buffalo and Lindy gets last change.

I see no reason why Buffalo won't execute the same game plan with more "discipline". One of the big reasons the VCP line didn't do much was because the Sabres had nine plus penalty minutes to kill. Hard to be attacking when you must be defending.

Unlike last game where I didn't think a first period goal would be scored, this time I do. It will be soooo fun if Buffalo gets it and Philly ends the period without one. Miller will be a huge factor in the outcome, not the Sabres offense.

We'll have to wait for Buffalo to see the offense play.

It's easy to say all the Sabres needed was a split. But we all know what happened last year and how the series momentum changed on a slash.

My confidence has never been higher, Buffalo leaves Philly with a 2-0 series lead.

I would expect tonight's game to look very similar to Game 1. If Buffalo could cut down on turnovers (they had 13 of them) entering the ozone and halving the number of penalties they take, then there will be some additional ozone time. That said, Buffalo will be responsible defensively first and foremost. There will always be two Sabres back. We'll see a ton of 1-3-1 again. Vanek, Connolly and Pominville won't be able to maneuver until they get back to Buffalo and Lindy gets last change.

I see no reason why Buffalo won't execute the same game plan with more "discipline". One of the big reasons the VCP line didn't do much was because the Sabres had nine plus penalty minutes to kill. Hard to be attacking when you must be defending.

Unlike last game where I didn't think a first period goal would be scored, this time I do. It will be soooo fun if Buffalo gets it and Philly ends the period without one. Miller will be a huge factor in the outcome, not the Sabres offense.

We'll have to wait for Buffalo to see the offense play.

It's easy to say all the Sabres needed was a split. But we all know what happened last year and how the series momentum changed on a slash.

My confidence has never been higher, Buffalo leads Philly with a 2-0 series lead.

I hear ya, but the two situations are very different - Last year, Buffalo were the better seed playing at home ice, going up 1 game and 2-0 in game two. All it took was one cheapshot to send a disinterested and mentally weak team golfing.

Even if the Sabres lose tonight, they will still have captured home ice, and the Flyers are still under pressure in game 3.

I guess Lindy will have to show what he's made of in this series, as it finally appears the players are onboard with the gameplan.

On a final note - If we play Alamo hockey again tonight, we're gonna spend more time in the box than the Flyers. That's just how it works in the playoffs, unless you're the Devils.

I'd like to see the ref's call infractions both ways tonight, but playing as much in your own zone as the Sabres did in game 1 usually means you're gonna get called eventually.

I really hope Lindy hasn't told his guys to stop being physical due to the penalty disadvantage they suffered in game 1.

It was a bit of a referee home job, like the Carolina game. Not only do we battle the opposition, but we have the zebra nipping as us. I saw dives get called against Buffalo and legitimate penalties get let go for Philly. You're right though. If the Sabres are scrambling, it invites the home job calls.

I won't stop dreamin'! When Pegula took over, I was mezmerized by everything he said and did. As a fan, it was a dream come true when I heard his first press conference.

So I want to see the Sabres step on the Flyers necks tonight! Have Philadelphia players start saying things like, "Well, we came back from three down against Boston," as they prepare for game three IN BUFFALO.

Sabres go up 2 - 0 in the series. Don't wake me up!

It was a bit of a referee home job, like the Carolina game. Not only do we battle the opposition, but we have the zebra nipping as us. I saw dives get called against Buffalo and legitimate penalties get let go for Philly. You're right though. If the Sabres are scrambling, it invites the home job calls.

Can we just stop with crying about officials? The Sabres got into penalty trouble because they made some dumb plays and took stupid penalties.

I can see why some consider this a bonus game, they took game one and a split is a great result. IMO, being up 2-0 Coming home for two is a must for the Sabres. You have a chance to put the first nail in the Flyers coffin. They can't let this opportunity slip away. The Sabres need to play today with Game 7 type desperation.

They have to generate more scoring chances today, having won the 1st game on the road will allow them to play a little looser and take some chances. I do not want to see them dumping the puck in and sending 1 guy to chase it, it's the same as turning the puck over and is so aggravating to watch. Keep hitting them, GRIERE, KALETA and WEBER laid out some nice hits in game 1, keep it up. Too bad TIMMAY can't play 5 on 5 as well as he plays 3 on 5, even so I think he turns on the light tonight. GO SABRES :w00t:

Can we just stop with crying about officials? The Sabres got into penalty trouble because they made some dumb plays and took stupid penalties.

I can see why some consider this a bonus game, they took game one and a split is a great result. IMO, being up 2-0 Coming home for two is a must for the Sabres. You have a chance to put the first nail in the Flyers coffin. They can't let this opportunity slip away. The Sabres need to play today with Game 7 type desperation.

Given how poor they've been at home, I can see where you're coming from.

No crying here, chief. Just calling it as I see it. I expect we'll see similar calls in favor of Buffalo when the next few games are at home. :thumbsup:

Game 2: Sabres @ Flyers, 5 PM EST on TSN/MSG

1. I think the Flyers are frustrated and probably somewhat puzzled -- they seemed to control the play for much of the game, but were unable to solve Miller. Meanwhile, the Sabres struggled to generate offense and weren't able to sustain pressure in the Philly zone very often. That needs to be fixed -- via TheSportsBuff: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=545

LET'S GO BUFFALO

They were unable to counter the Sabres defensive scheme would be a more accurate statement . To be honest Miller faced far fewer real scoring chances in that game than the press would lead the reader to believe. A goaltender is only as good as the defense in front of him and the Buffalo defense in game one was outstanding because the forwards were playing defense first. It is hard to transition out with speed when you are hanging in your own end to help your d with the Philly forecheck. Half of the d zone clearing passes were dumps out into the neutral zone to release the pressure. Then, when you do break out cleanly you are looking at a 1-3-1.. I think Vanek said it best ."Offensively, we didn't create much. At the same time, we didn't give up much. It's a 1-0 win, and we'll take 16 of those."

Game two will start the same way is my guess. Lindy will mix lines more often in game two. They are keying on the Vanek line,which is obvious I know. The question is how to generate offensive zone pressure without pushing your d forward and letting your d (d and wingers) take a few chances coming out of your own end. Lindy had them so far back in game one they were blocking Millers view of the action in the other end. Then he says we need to generate more offense? It is all a trade off when you have olny one line that can forecheck. The TC line is not a dump and retrieve line. If Philly is playing a 1-3-1 again it is another cautious road type defensive effort from the Sabres. Dump and retrieve. Not the Sabres best offensive scheme. I hope Philly opens it up a bit.

I predict a similar defense-first game from the Sabres; mainly waiting for opportunities to score. On the other hand, the Flyers will try to create more scoring chances while compromising their effort to shut down the Sabres top 6.

So as a result, the game will seem more loose than game 1.

I agree that this is essentially a must-win for the Sabres; who will need the momentum going back to HSBC.

I agree that this is essentially a must-win for the Sabres; who will need the momentum going back to HSBC.

Disagree completely. I think the Sabres can hang with the Flyers in any context and heading to Buffalo tied 1-1 still leaves us with a better than 50% chance at winning. Not to say I wouldn't be disappointed with a loss, but it certainly wouldn't cripple our chances.

Archived