Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

I love that he rocked it. He has a Philly crowd to aggravate and a Philly bench to irritate.

his work doesn't stop when the lamp is lit... :thumbsup:

BTW...I was watching the TSN feed. Aaron Ward said between periods Kaleta is the only person that he's not sure he can recognize as a human, worse than Ken Linsman, he said. :lol:

Haha, is that a complement or insult?

I thought Vanek's line played ok. It was obivious that Philly had a game plan for them and played it perfectly. But Vanek's line played good on the back check and didn't do to much of the OMFG turnovers that you get when you shut down a top line. It kinda looked like Vanek and TC where a bit tenative to make sure they had the backcheck covered. Like every playoffs you need your other 3 lines to step up if you want success. If Vanek and comapny keep up there defensive responsibilty I think they will get there points

I thought Vanek's line played ok. It was obivious that Philly had a game plan for them and played it perfectly. But Vanek's line played good on the back check and didn't do to much of the OMFG turnovers that you get when you shut down a top line. It kinda looked like Vanek and TC where a bit tenative to make sure they had the backcheck covered. Like every playoffs you need your other 3 lines to step up if you want success. If Vanek and comapny keep up there defensive responsibilty I think they will get there points

So to summarize, TV played ok,

Reading the recap on ESPN, and Laviolette was saying that Pronger could've been the difference in that game...WOW! REALLY? You're gonna call out a defenseman that can't play as your excuse for losing? :thumbsup:

Just watched the presser and thats not exactly how it went down. He did say Pronger would have made a difference ( which is obvious to most everyone ) but went on to say why worry about someone that isn't available. In no way did he use that as an excuse. Just sayin.

I agree, taken out of context. Actually was a stupid question, 'do you think that pronger would have made a difference?' What's he supposed to say? He wasn't happy having to respond.

Good stuff. I would add that Grier made some bone-crunching hits. There are going to be some Philly ears ringing to tomorrow morning.

It was like watching Grier when he was young and played for Edmonton and destroyed everything. Keep it up, Mike.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think it's important to note that NONE of the Flyer's top six scored as well and were as ineffective as the Sabres top six.

I agree that we Sabres fans would like our top six to produce something, and I certainly hope they do going down the road here, but I don't think tonight's game is really an indicator of how the Sabres top six will do in these playoffs.

If anything, it shows that the coaches for both teams got enough out of their D-pairings that both sides' big guns were shut down. And the fact that it took the third line (I assume the Gaustad, Gerbe, Kaleta line is the third line) on the Sabres to score, while none of the Flyer's lines could, only shows that the Sabres are deeper on D than the Flyers.

I would agree, althought last playoffs still show up in my nightmares.

The way I saw it, the Sabres decided to play a clamp-down road game yesterday.

I hope Lindy realises he can't let the Flyers tak shots from the point all series long and get away with it, unless his own team generates more offense than they did last night. I saw at least 10 shots get tipped/blocked wide last night. And while some of this is good defense, it just takes one going the other way before the gameplan comes undone.

Also, spending that much time in your own end usually shows up in the PIM column as well.

I expect them to play a similar style tomorrow, as long as the game is scoreless at least.

I didn't think we played the greatest game, but it was a good safe, simple, defensive game on the road. Guys collapsed around Miller and worked hard to keep him clean when it was obvious that the Flyers were going out of their way to try to run him. Kept most of the shots to the perimeter and I liked the way the guys fought around the crease, there have been years when our goalie would get leveled and our defense looked like it could care less.

These young defensivemen make some dumb mistakes, but they push back. I don't want to jinx him, but Gragnani looks like the real deal - the playoff game didn't appear to be too big for him. He just seemed to make great decisions with the puck, calm - in control, and he never looked out of position.

I thought Phily controlled a lot of the play, and got away with a lot of obstruction and stick-holding, but I don't expect that to change in this series. It's going to be a grinder. Ryan was in the zone tonight and I loved that the Philly boards were loaded with comments about him getting into the team's head after they threw everything but the kitchen sink at him. Was kind of suprised the that their boards showed some class (yeah, I know the history) most thought that Miller should have been the first star of the game.

I agree with most of this. There were long stretches of play where Philly's forecheck kept us tied up. I think they were the dominant team for more of the game. But I did like the way we collapsed around Miller and didn't allow clean 2nd and 3rd chances. I also thought Philly did a real good job of keeping our pressure to the outside. Only once did they really mess that up and Kaleta capitalized.

I love the way Butler was protecting the space around Miller. Good to see that come out of him. And Miller was pretty ornery too. He was slashing at ankles all night.

Bobrovsky didn't give up nearly as many rebounds as I'd expected/hoped, and when he did their D was very efficient at clearing them away. we'll need our top 6 to get much dirtier if we are going to cash in on more than 1 or 2 of those rebounds a game. Stafford needs to play with Gaustad's fire. Vanek needs a bit more fire as well. Especially after Pronger comes back into the lineup.

Gerbe played well enough that it is time to consider switching him and Ennis. The #2 line needs more fire in its belly. Gerbe can provide that. I think Lindy should try it for a period or 2 and see if it works.

Grier showed his worth last night. So did Goose. I'll second whoever mentioned Goose as captain next season. He's showing leadership. I need to see more of that out of Vanek.

Discipline was a bit lacking last night. But they fought through it and played well for the most part. That wasn't a cheap win by any stretch. They earned it.

Sabres fans, I live in the Philly area. this is my 3rd playoff series between Buff and Philly. The Sports Media here in Philly I find to impressive. When it comes to hockey, there is no one better than Al Morganti. I like Al because of his knowledge and because he keeps it real. Al gives a realistic view point of a situation always. On Saturday night after the Flyers - Isles game, with a body demeanor of "Flyers fans, you need to be ready for this series with the Sabres", he shared that the Flyers will be playing a very good team in the Sabres and even if Pronger plays in the series, he will not be game shape ready for a couple games.

So on to last night's post game interview, with a body demeanor of concern, Al said "yes the Flyers played a good game, but so did the Sabres". Al also said that "The Sabres style was very reminiscent of the 90's and early 2000 NJ Devils".

Take it for what it is worth, but al keeps it real. I can read his face and see concern he has that the Flyers are in for a difficult road with the Sabres.

Reflections:

1. I'm still gushing about the hits Butler and Grier were laying out last night. Butler's game was nasty, solid last night. That shot to the chops of Van Riemsdyke was nasty good.

2. I thought the Sabres did a good job on Richards last night. Seemed like everyone was hitting him. Yet he still managed to have five SOGs.

3. A lot of folks are chirping about Van Riemsdyke getting the first star last night. He shouldn't have gotten a star, but, he was the most evident Flyer out there last night.

4. Give the Flyers credit, they turned back just about every Sabre entry into their zone. I was having flashbacks to ECF against Carolina. Last night's game reminded me a lot of those games.

5. When was the last time you remember a Buffalo team with 36 hits?

6. I think that is the most defense Pominville, Vanek and Connolly played all season. Flyers totally neutralized that line. Totally. My guess it will be different in Buffalo when Lindy gets last change.

7. Gaustad was everywhere last night. Seems like his line was out there for every other shift. Stats show he was out there for 19+ minutes, seems like so much more.

8. Any concern I had for Grier's knee was dispatched last night. The man was head hunting out there.

9. Did you now Danny Briere was credited with 4 hits? Hmmm.

10. Briere and Giroux and for that matter, Hartnell, were pretty well neutralized last night.

11. Loved Miller horsecollaring one of those Flyers. He's lucky he didn't get a penalty, but he sent a message.

12. Monty, oh Monty pull it together.

13. Considering where it was in the game, that last PK might have been the best Sabres PK all season. Then that 5-on-3, was in the top ten also. Five penalties to one. Seems like that is how it's going to be.

14. Interesting stats from last night: Gragnani (3) had more SOGs than everyone on the Sabres except Stafford (4). Buffalo credited with 13 giveaways to three for Flyers. Three Sabres, Grier, Kaleta and Myers had five hits each to lead. Butler with four.

15. This one is for X, Devorski was the "Stand-by Ref" for last night.

Am I the only one with conflicted feelings about Grier's game last night? I sure loved the hits, but that's about it. Those attempted centering passes to other team late in the third were just brutal. Also, Grier's line was hemmed in the defensive zone much more frequently than any other line and it looked like Grier's lack of mobility was a big reason why. He seemed unable to get from the slot to the wall and back in a timely manner, so he gave up on the wall and just covered the slot. Good choice, I suppose, but it let Philly cycle the puck with impunity on more than one occasion.

On the other hand, I thought the Connolly-Vanek-Pominville line was pretty damn good. Connolly seemed to be the most dynamic player on that line in the offensive zone, which was an interesting change of pace, and and as a result they only had a couple of decent scoring chances. However, all three were excellent in the defensive and neutral zones, they never got hemmed in the defensive zone, and they made smart decisions with the puck and efficiently got it up ice. I was never nervous when these three were out there. I think they sacrificed some offense to maintain good defensive positioning but that was the right decision for this particular game.

EDIT: Forgot to mentioned Gaustad. He was a man on fire last night. That third line is a great combination. If we can get anything out of the Boyes line, we'll be in good shape going forward.

Am I the only one with conflicted feelings about Grier's game last night? I sure loved the hits, but that's about it. Those attempted centering passes to other team late in the third were just brutal. Also, Grier's line was hemmed in the defensive zone much more frequently than any other line and it looked like Grier's lack of mobility was a big reason why. He seemed unable to get from the slot to the wall and back in a timely manner, so he gave up on the wall and just covered the slot. Good choice, I suppose, but it let Philly cycle the puck with impunity on more than one occasion.

On the other hand, I thought the Connolly-Vanek-Pominville line was pretty damn good. Connolly seemed to be the most dynamic player on that line in the offensive zone, which was an interesting change of pace, and and as a result they only had a couple of decent scoring chances. However, all three were excellent in the defensive and neutral zones, they never got hemmed in the defensive zone, and they made smart decisions with the puck and efficiently got it up ice. I was never nervous when these three were out there. I think they sacrificed some offense to maintain good defensive positioning but that was the right decision for this particular game.

Interesting take on Grier.

CVP line were very responsible defensively. All those odd man rushes that happened in Buffalo didn't happen here. Sabres ALWAYS had two men back.

Interesting take on Grier.

CVP line were very responsible defensively. All those odd man rushes that happened in Buffalo didn't happen here. Sabres ALWAYS had two men back.

My theory on Grier: He showed better than expected speed on those hits, but it was all "straight line" type of stuff. I suspect the knee was affecting his starts and changes of directions, which hurt him defensively. I can't explain the centering passes late. Totally out of character for him.

My theory on Grier: He showed better than expected speed on those hits, but it was all "straight line" type of stuff. I suspect the knee was affecting his starts and changes of directions, which hurt him defensively. I can't explain the centering passes late. Totally out of character for him.

Mike Grier is going to be fine. He is not on game shape! I'd be more concerned with Monty and Morrison.

Just watched the presser and thats not exactly how it went down. He did say Pronger would have made a difference ( which is obvious to most everyone ) but went on to say why worry about someone that isn't available. In no way did he use that as an excuse. Just sayin.

I just read the quick recap they had before goin to bed, it seemed out of context, but at the time, I was surprised. Thanks for the clarification!

EDIT: Forgot to mentioned Gaustad. He was a man on fire last night. That third line is a great combination. If we can get anything out of the Boyes line, we'll be in good shape going forward.

Good post. Although, even though the Grier line got hemmed in, they never gave up a scoring opportunity and almost all the play was either behind the net or in the corners. You're not going to score from there. In our own zone, Grier really is a study in conservation of motion. He looks like he is not trying, but he is always in the right place to not allow a shot. It's really quite pretty.

I almost wonder if Lindy just said that the game was going be decided by each team's 3rd line, and he told lines 1 and 2 to just play the trap and shut it down.

Game thoughts...

- When you get outplayed and win, it's always a good thing

- Top 6 has to play a LOT better. I thought Ennis was okay at times, the other 5 guys...eh.

- Who was the guy wearing the 28 jersey for Buffalo? WOW! If Gaustad played that way for even 50% of the regular season, I'd never bitch again about his contract.

- Myers has to be better with the puck in his own end.

- Miller coming up big in Game 1. If the Sabres can find a way to win Game 2, it would really be a kck in the nuts to the Flyers.

- Grier with some thundering hits. Where is the poster who stated yesterday that Grier should not be in the lineup because he doesn't hit?

- Butler & Weber both very good!

While I'm pumped about the Game 1 win, I have to temper it by saying the Sabres won the exact same type of Game 1 win last year and the series didn't end like we wanted it to. That said, this was a road Game 1, so stealing home ice right now is good. The Sabres just have to hold serve.

I had a feeling Miller would come back strong and play a Miller-esque game. I think he'll need to be at this level for these guys to make a run.

Gaustad was a monster last night. I whole-heartedly agree with whoever said he should get the C. He & Gerbe seemed to have figured something out and are probably the best line on this team...right now.

Montador & Morrissonn keep scaring me. I really want to see Leopold back soon.

The other thing scaring me is the missed chances of getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Whoever thought of making a drinking game out of RJ saying "but not out" was on to something good. When you're holding a 1-goal lead in a tight game, your focus has to be getting the puck out of the zone, over the red line, and into the offensive zone.

I already can't wait for Game 2. And it's a good thing that stupid American Idol isn't on...

i am delighted to have rosie back in the lineup. the guy is a warrior ... and can be a heat-seeking missile on the forecheck.
I would add that Grier made some bone-crunching hits. There are going to be some Philly ears ringing to tomorrow morning.
Bone crunching is an understatement.

what i saw out of grier was precisely what i was hoping (praying) for. if he can go each night (not saying he's healthy - i don't think he is), i predict that he'll chip in with an ugly goal as well.

btw, and maybe this was addressed up-thread, what the hell happened at the very end of the game? sabres had them pinned with 6 seconds to go, i had already started fist-pumping and quietly yelling (kids were asleep), when all of a sudden i saw a flyer near a loose puck between our face-off dots with a second to go.

one other thought: i agree wholeheartedly with lindy's sentiment in the post-game presser: the team didn't generate enough offense -- they need to do (and will do) better on that front in game 2.

go sabres.

Archived