Game Discussion Thread: Sabres at Blue Jackets

nfreeman

A few nuggets:

- The Sabres will finish no worse than 7th in the EC and can move up to 6th if they win and the Habs lose, or if the Sabres lose in OT/SO and the Habs lose in regulation.

- If the Sabres finish 7th, they will play either Pitt or Philly, who both have 104 pts with 1 game left (Philly is home vs NYI tonight; Pitt is in Atlanta tomorrow). If they finish 6th -- it's a rematch vs Boston.

- Sabres are 0-3-0 plus one tie all-time in Columbus

- Columbus hasn't won at home in regulation since Feb. 25. They are 1-5-3 in their last 9 home games and have lost 5 in a row overall.

- Vanek has 6 pts in his last 2 games and now leads the team in goals and assists. He has 73 pts in 80 games.

A few nuggets:

- The Sabres will finish no worse than 7th in the EC and can move up to 6th if they win and the Habs lose, or if the Sabres lose in OT/SO and the Habs lose in regulation.

- If the Sabres finish 7th, they will play either Pitt or Philly, who both have 104 pts with 1 game left (Philly is home vs NYI tonight; Pitt is in Atlanta tomorrow). If they finish 6th -- it's a rematch vs Boston.

- Sabres are 0-3-0 plus one tie all-time in Columbus

- Columbus hasn't won at home in regulation since Feb. 25. They are 1-5-3 in their last 9 home games and have lost 5 in a row overall.

- Vanek has 6 pts in his last 2 games and now leads the team in goals and assists. He has 73 pts in 80 games.

Nice work filling in for Chz. She's either sleeping off the hangover or hasn't been kicked out of bed yet .........

Well let's see if they have anything left after that emotional victory. It would be nice if they finally played relaxed, coverted all the chances they've been seeing and just filled the other net with pucks.

I like Lindy's attitude the other day in the paper about just running them all. They have a great chance to finish strong that way.

Let's go Buff'a'lo

If they finish 6th -- it's a rematch vs Boston.

LIKELY, but not guaranteed. Boston, with 101 points, has TWO games remaining. PHI and PIT both have 104 with ONE game remaining. So, the B's COULD get the #2 seed. Boston would win the tiebreaker with either Atlantic Division team.

This is a must WIN! be interesting to see whos sick or banged up and sits this one out. Miller prob plays and I bet kaleta hits the ice if hes good to go. Lets win just so we can say that we could have finished in the 6th no matter what Montreal does. Besides maybe columbus will just give up... kinda like philly in the final 50 seconds hehe

This is a must WIN! be interesting to see whos sick or banged up and sits this one out. Miller prob plays and I bet kaleta hits the ice if hes good to go. Lets win just so we can say that we could have finished in the 6th no matter what Montreal does. Besides maybe columbus will just give up... kinda like philly in the final 50 seconds hehe

I was at the Columbus - Nashville game last night (watched the Sabres big win afterward) and Columbus played a very strong game. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at Pekka Rinne, but could only get it by him once. I don't think they'll just give us this game... we'll have to earn it.

I'm finally glad to say that game #82 is not a MUST WIN game. We've had 81 this year. Go ahead and take this game off.

Feels like the playoffs already. Just get over one game and right back at it. Looks like we play Wed or Thursday. I hope Wed.

I thought I heard on WGR a few days ago that Philly and Boston I thought had events going on in their buildings on Wed. I think it was these two teams but now I'm not positive. If that's true then unless we play Pitt we're likely opening on Thursday.

Just checked and I'm right. Celtics are using the arena on Wednesday in Boston and 76ers are using the Philly arena Wed. It's almost for sure going to be a Wed start if we play Pit but Thurs start if it's Boston or Philly.

I can't wait to just watch and enjoy a hockey game without a sense of desperation. Of course, this is the first opportunity to do that in a long time, and also the last opportunity to do that until October. So here's to kickin' back and just watching the boys play tonight.

This is a must WIN!!! idk sorry I'll stop saying it. I really hope that pittsburg loses because I am not sure how that team will matchup against us. Columbus has been our nemesis as far as wins go over the years and I hope we do not just sorta show up. I wonder if Myers will finally get a night off. Brad Boyes needs one but hes an iron man so I dont see that happening. Its like Boyes lost some of his confidence and is just playing scared idk, I hope he snaps out of it cuz he could be very helpful down the line. TC should keep playing because hes playing well and anytime off might be detrimental to his new found desire to win. All an all it should be a fun game but it will be nice to have no pressure for once. Lets go Buffalo!

This is a must WIN!!! idk sorry I'll stop saying it. I really hope that pittsburg loses because I am not sure how that team will matchup against us. Columbus has been our nemesis as far as wins go over the years and I hope we do not just sorta show up. I wonder if Myers will finally get a night off. Brad Boyes needs one but hes an iron man so I dont see that happening. Its like Boyes lost some of his confidence and is just playing scared idk, I hope he snaps out of it cuz he could be very helpful down the line. TC should keep playing because hes playing well and anytime off might be detrimental to his new found desire to win. All an all it should be a fun game but it will be nice to have no pressure for once. Lets go Buffalo!

My guess is Vanek and Myers get the night off.

Yep, no chance they're rushing Shakira back either. Does anyone know the status of our injured guys in terms of the playoffs? It sounds like Sekera should be back for game 1. What about Hecht or Griere? Leopold sounds like late first round?

Sorry you missed it. If I may opine, you did the right thing in going to the wake. Hopefully that good karma will come back in the playoffs and stay for a while.

thanks. it really wasn't a hard decision, but that was a tough one to miss.

Even on recording I got pretty emotional with the parade of players that showed up.

I wonder if Ennis will get the night off, Ive felt like hes either been sick for a week or injured because his play has dropped a bit.

Id be ok with Myers, Ennis, and Vanek being healthy scratches. To bad Roy isnt further along you could give him a shift or two to see how hes doing.

Vanek won't sit. He will take it easy, but he won't sit. Besides, he needs to get his yearly 82nd game Hat Trick. If it was against a rival I would sit him, but Columbus is out and I don't see them playing a real physical game for the sake of being spoilers in a game that doesn't matter.

Vanek won't sit. He will take it easy, but he won't sit. Besides, he needs to get his yearly 82nd game Hat Trick. If it was against a rival I would sit him, but Columbus is out and I don't see them playing a real physical game for the sake of being spoilers in a game that doesn't matter.

I only spaculate it cause he was on the bench in obvious pain. He could use a few days rest.

No kidding. I watched the opening ceremonies twice on video and I'm still choked up.

Daren Puppa looks like someone (and not Daren Puppa). Metcalfe's reaction was funny. I don't know what Gary McAdam was doing, but I think he was overwhelmed.

I only spaculate it cause he was on the bench in obvious pain. He could use a few days rest.

From WGR:

Thomas Vanek returned last night from a charlie horse, but Ruff isn't sure if he'll take the chance.

Tyler Ennis is questionable as he's sick.

Andrej Sekera has an upper body injury and will not play.

Mike Grier is still not ready and coming along very slowly.

For Columbus, Rick Nash, Ethan Moreau and Andrew Murray are out.

Ryan Miller will start for the Sabres, but Ruff isn't sure if he'll play him the whole game.

Including his games in St. Louis, Brad Boyes will play 83 games this season. That is not a Sabre record as Pat LaFontaine, Brad May, Richard Smehlik and Randy Wood all played 84.

Archived