Is there A Team In The East We Can't Beat?

bob_sauve28

Which means nothing. There is a huge difference between playing for your playoff lives and playing for seeding.

I would like to answer the question in the title of the thread, I just need 1 piece of information. Is Ruff going to stick with Miller no matter what? Or, if Miller falters will Ruff have a quick hook?

You've followed the team closely for quite some time. You have enough information -- you don't get any qualifiers or additional information. Just answer the question.

###### it -- why couldn't Friday just be a night to relax? Oh well maybe it's better for the Sabres to stay on edge.

I'm generally a cautious person, but I will tell you now: the Sabres are going to be in.

I ask again: are you ready?

They are going to do better this year than last year. They will play hard, they won't shrink from the moment and they will not lose 3 playoff games in a row.

Go Sabres.

I agree with both points. Philly lost some of their toughness. Pittsburgh increased theirs this season. P-burgh has the ability to be nasty if they want to. And they usually want to to some extent. IMO Boston is 2nd in the conference in ability to play a big, nasty, physical game. Philly is 3rd on the list.

And that is about the order that I don't want to see these teams in the playoffs.

The team wants to play Philly.

Sabres are still going to have problems without a top 1 and 2 center in the playoffs.

That being said, I really like the nastiness the young D has been bringing lately. Led especially by Weber's chippiness, the D leads this team with both its skating ability and ill temperament, a nice combo.

Gerbe and McCormick as well as Kaleta when healthy certainly add to that mix, plus Gerbe and Kaleta can score.

Now that Vanek and Stafford are scoring with Pomminstein things are looking up. Leopold's leadership will be needed and I like that Gragnani is gaining some experience should a D man get hurt. Sounds like Griere is getting back to health too. Hecht can stay hurt imo. Still the Sabres when disciplined play a good D break out game and their talent with all the young D is really coming through. If not this year, next year should really be fun.

I probably overstated it, but Hartnell, Carcillo, and Shelly aren't all that scary. That's their grit, but I don't think they are going to bully anyone like they would in their reputed past.

Pittsburgh is a much more physically imposing team IMO.

But Hartnell is the chairman of the beard. Thats enough to scare even the most battle tested man.

I'm generally a cautious person, but I will tell you now: the Sabres are going to be in.

I ask again: are you ready?

They are going to do better this year than last year. They will play hard, they won't shrink from the moment and they will not lose 3 playoff games in a row.

Go Sabres.

nfreeman is that really you? Wow, I never thought I'd ever read any of this. You were one of their biggest critics dating back to LAST season (which in retrospect seems warranted). I'm feeling nervous as all heck right now. Philly is a tough team. Let's just take it to OT and then I can breathe. I think beginning a couple weeks ago we SHOULD make the playoffs so I'd feel so stressed watching games because it'd be heartbreaking to miss out now. I think I'll actually be at ease once/if we make it watching playoff games.

You've followed the team closely for quite some time. You have enough information -- you don't get any qualifiers or additional information. Just answer the question.

The saving grace for this team going into the playoffs this season is that their "core" seems to be changing. Instead of the same old Status Quo entrenched vets this team has a core of young players that seem ready to push the older vets out the door. If this team pulls off a 1st round upset I look to Weber, Myers, Sekera and Butler to lead the way. I look at those four as a true core of the future.

The saving grace for this team going into the playoffs this season is that their "core" seems to be changing. Instead of the same old Status Quo entrenched vets this team has a core of young players that seem ready to push the older vets out the door. If this team pulls off a 1st round upset I look to Weber, Myers, Sekera and Butler to lead the way. I look at those four as a true core of the future.

Is Vanek considered part of the "Status Quo entrenched vets"? He's far from being pushed; he's been pulling this team since the new year.

GO SABRES!!!

The core of the future is still going to be led by Vanek and Miller with a new, refocused Stafford. Can't argue that your 4, however, could comprise the D for years to come.

The core of the future is still going to be led by Vanek and Miller with a new, refocused Stafford. Can't argue that your 4, however, could comprise the D for years to come.

I know Vanek and Miller are going to billed as the Sabres front men. I don't think they are the "core." The best example I can use is the Washington Redskins. They had the QBs and RBs but the "core" of that team were The Hogs. Not flashy, just solid go to work everyday and probably the #1 reason they won most games and Titles. I see this new group of young blueliners as a Sabres version of The Hogs. May not be the flashiest, just solid night after night. At least that is what I hope.

I know Vanek and Miller are going to billed as the Sabres front men. I don't think they are the "core." The best example I can use is the Washington Redskins. They had the QBs and RBs but the "core" of that team were The Hogs. Not flashy, just solid go to work everyday and probably the #1 reason they won most games and Titles. I see this new group of young blueliners as a Sabres version of The Hogs. May not be the flashiest, just solid night after night. At least that is what I hope.

I agree with a lot of that, but to me the core has to be led by your best player and I see Vanek, Stafford and Miller along with Myers and hopefully another stud in teh off season being those guys.

That being said, those four defenseman along with McNabb and Pysyk could be interesting over the next few years.

I agree with a lot of that, but to me the core has to be led by your best player and I see Vanek, Stafford and Miller along with Myers and hopefully another stud in teh off season being those guys.

That being said, those four defenseman along with McNabb and Pysyk could be interesting over the next few years.

I actually think Scheistel might be the best of the bunch. Nice skating stride and patience. Good vision.

Reminds me a bit of John Van Boxmeer.

I would not include Stafford with Vanek and Miller. I also don't think Miller will be this teams goalie when it is ready to win a Cup. I said this before, he is like Curtis Joseph, he will look spectacular at times and will always break your heart at the most crucial moments.

I actually think Scheistel might be the best of the bunch. Nice skating stride and patience. Good vision.

It would be awesome if Scheistal became a star. The t-shirt possibilities are endless. The logos for Schlitz Beer, Schwevel and Schwinn come to mind right off the bat.

nfreeman is that really you? Wow, I never thought I'd ever read any of this. You were one of their biggest critics dating back to LAST season (which in retrospect seems warranted). I'm feeling nervous as all heck right now. Philly is a tough team. Let's just take it to OT and then I can breathe. I think beginning a couple weeks ago we SHOULD make the playoffs so I'd feel so stressed watching games because it'd be heartbreaking to miss out now. I think I'll actually be at ease once/if we make it watching playoff games.

It's false bravado. In the back of my mind I'm terrified of how possible a 2-game losing streak is.

Is Vanek considered part of the "Status Quo entrenched vets"? He's far from being pushed; he's been pulling this team since the new year.

GO SABRES!!!

Very good stuff here guys. FWIW, I think Miller is absolutely core and one of the most important leaders. I'm not quite there with Vanek yet, but I can see getting there depending on the playoffs this year. When they needed him to step up, he did and has had a very strong 2nd half.

I also think Gaustad is a key part of the core and wouldn't be surprised to see him getting the C next year. And I'm amazed that I think this now, but I think it's better than 50/50 that Stafford will be a long-term core guy. He keeps taking it hard to the net, he keeps converting in crunch time, he keeps sounding like a grownup in the interviews, and Lindy keeps putting him on the PK.

As for the youngsters, I think Myers, Weber and Sekera will almost certainly be longstanding core "Sabre Hogs" and think Butler could go either way. And I think both of the smurfs will be long-term core members.

Boxy was flashy and had a great slapper, but I always thought he was a defensive liability.

Boxy was flashy and had a great slapper, but I always thought he was a defensive liability.

Interesting how memory works. I guess I always had the impression that Scotty kept him tethered to stay home more than he should of, and I never thought of him as a defensive liability.

I think Schiestel physically resembles him, both righties, similar skating stride, reach, build.

It could be a stretch. Just something that came to mind.

Interesting how memory works. I guess I always had the impression that Scotty kept him tethered to stay home more than he should of, and I never thought of him as a defensive liability.

I think Schiestel physically resembles him, both righties, similar skating stride, reach, build.

It could be a stretch. Just something that came to mind.

And I would have put him just barely ahead of Whimpley in terms of play in his own end. The only time I ever was comfortable w/ Boxy at the point was on the powerplay. (Man, could he rip a slapper.)

And I would have put him just barely ahead of Whimpley in terms of play in his own end. The only time I ever was comfortable w/ Boxy at the point was on the powerplay. (Man, could he rip a slapper.)

:lol: I hated Housley. Then I loved him. then I hated him. then I loved him. That was usually all in the same period.

I seem to recall Boxy getting a hat trick against the Isles and then never getting another shot on net again. Just repeated crashes against the glass that would make everyone say OOOOOOO.

But I don't doubt you guys if you remember him as a defensive liabilty.

:lol: I hated Housley. Then I loved him. then I hated him. then I loved him. That was usually all in the same period.

I seem to recall Boxy getting a hat trick against the Isles and then never getting another shot on net again. Just repeated crashes against the glass that would make everyone say OOOOOOO.

But I don't doubt you guys if you remember him as a defensive liabilty.

I didn't see much of the Lafontaine/Mogilny era, but I thought Housley was the 2nd-most exciting Sabre of all time.

I didn't see much of the Lafontaine/Mogilny era, but I thought Housley was the 2nd-most exciting Sabre of all time.

Exciting in good ways and bad. The rushes out of the zone were things of beauty. The defensive mis-plays resulted in a different kind of excitement though. :censored:

Archived