Is there A Team In The East We Can't Beat?

bob_sauve28

I think Bos would be a bad matchup they still play a pretty physical game and Lucic I think would run all over our D. Was would worry me I don't think we have a good record of shuting down Ovechkin. I think we matchup good to Pit since Malkin is out and Crosby is still recovering from a concussion. Phi I think we could destroy with their goaltending situation. TB just isn't physical enough or talented enough on D. Montreal and NYR I think we are pretty evenly matched withm

You're probably right, but confidence is key and this team is flying high right now. While we're over hyping ourselves, i bet teams at the top of the east standings want to avoid us.

For the players. I doubt the on ice play changes at all if the fans aren't confident.

I have gotten to the point where I think this team could beat any of the other likely playoff teams in the East. But by the same token, I think any of the other likely teams in the East are equally capable of beating Buffalo. Every team has its warts, Buffalo included.

Parity.

The folks on the radio in Boston want nothing to do with Buffalo and to a lesser degree, NY. They want the Habs. WRT who we can't beat, I'd say Pittsburgh scares me most.

There is something to be said for being in a 3 month playoff push. At least they don't have to flip the switch.

The folks on the radio in Boston want nothing to do with Buffalo and to a lesser degree, NY. They want the Habs. WRT who we can't beat, I'd say Pittsburgh scares me most.

There is something to be said for being in a 3 month playoff push. At least they don't have to flip the switch.

Last year the team limped into the playoffs and this year they are rolling in. Almost the polar opposite.

Anyone in the top four will be tough. I just don't like the idea of playing Pitt with their conquering hero returning to the ice. Pitt is a tenacious team. Avoid at all costs.

Random thought:

Enroth 8-2-2 this year, and posting that record in huge games, is just unfathomable.

My ranking of teams I don't want to play:

1. Philly

2. Pittsburgh

3. Washington

4. Boston

5. Montreal

6. Rangers

7. Tampa

Accordingly, I think the best-case 1st round matchup is Boston, which will require the Sabres to pass the Habs for #6 in the EC. Boston is a good team, but I want payback for last year, and I think the Sabres do too.

Is there A Team In The East We Can't Beat?

So what you're saying is "Is there A Team In The East That Can't Beat Us?" :nana:

These, and I'd add "Is there A Team In The East that Can Beat the West?"

Random thought:Enroth 8-2-2 this year, and posting that record in huge games, is just unfathomable.

When you think about it, he got the callup in November and had a typical nervous rookie first period (exacerbated by poor defense), getting pulled from that first game after one period. Since then, he's played 11 complete games, going 8-1-2, with his only regulation loss being 1-0 to Pittsburgh. That's a rookie performance not seen since a young goalie from St. Bonaventure, QC, went 14-0-2 in Pittsburgh to start his career.*

* Who was that young goaltender? Patrick Lalime.

The rising sun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdPQp6Jcdk

Can this be our playoff song? Idk its got that serious lets destroy ppl feel.

I would love the flyers in the first round as I see them as a team that if you can score on they will crumble. There defense is iffy and there goaltending is sad. I dont wanna see pittsburg, boston, or the caps (the had 4 d out when we played).

The only two teams that scare me are Washington and Pittsburgh, Especially Pittsburgh with a healthy Crosby. Philly doesn't scare me as much...key word(s): as much

I would much rather face Boston to start for a few reasons: 1) We have their number this year (SEE STAFFORD and VANEK) 2) like someone else suggested, they are only as good as Tim Thomas and 3) I want revenge for last year, hopefully the Sabres do too.

For what it's worth, here are the East possible playoff teams' records this season before and after New Year's:

2010:

PIT 25-11-3

PHI 23-10-5

TB 22-11-5

WAS 22-12-5

BOS 20-11-5

NYR 22-14-2

MON 21-16-2

CAR 17-15-4

BUF 15-18-4

2011:

WAS 25-10-6

BUF 26-11-6

BOS 24-13-6

PHI 23-13-6

PIT 22-14-5

MON 22-14-5

TB 22-14-6

CAR 21-15-7

NYR 21-18-3

The only two teams that scare me are Washington and Pittsburgh, Especially Pittsburgh with a healthy Crosby. Philly doesn't scare me as much...key word(s): as much

I would much rather face Boston to start for a few reasons: 1) We have their number this year (SEE STAFFORD and VANEK) 2) like someone else suggested, they are only as good as Tim Thomas and 3) I want revenge for last year, hopefully the Sabres do too.

Boston has the Lucic Krejci Horton line so they have some fire power and their def is sick. Throw timmy in there along with rask as backup and we think they are better then philly? Nope. Philly has great scoring potential but has defensive issues and goalie issues. Boston has a +49 in goal differential and philly has +34. Boston has scored 238 and philly 249. Basically I would rather risk our def not being able to shut them down then our offense getting shutdown. that is just my opinion.

Boston has the Lucic Krejci Horton line so they have some fire power and their def is sick. Throw timmy in there along with rask as backup and we think they are better then philly? Nope. Philly has great scoring potential but has defensive issues and goalie issues. Boston has a +49 in goal differential and philly has +34. Boston has scored 238 and philly 249. Basically I would rather risk our def not being able to shut them down then our offense getting shutdown. that is just my opinion.

Valid points BUT, we went 4-1-1 against Boston this year, and yes I know we were only a whopping +1 (outscoring them 22-21). Stafford had two hat tricks against them and Vanek has more career goals against Boston than any other team.

What you're saying about the defenses though is a very good point, and you have kind of swayed my thinking.

All I know is no matter who we face, we need to keep this level of play up that we've had the last few weeks!

Why are people so scared of Philly? The last time Philly put together a win streak was back in the middle of February. The last time the Sabres had a loss streak was the same time. Teams that can't put win streaks together usually don't survive 7 game series. The Flyers and the Sabres are two teams headed in different directions, and the Sabres are the hot team right now.

Why are people so scared of Philly? The last time Philly put together a win streak was back in the middle of February. The last time the Sabres had a loss streak was the same time. Teams that can't put win streaks together usually don't survive 7 game series. The Flyers and the Sabres are two teams headed in different directions, and the Sabres are the hot team right now.

Philly has not been a physical team this year. I actually think Buffalo has more grit.

With no Pronger on the ice, that team looks like a bunch of floaters.

Philly has not been a physical team this year. I actually think Buffalo has more grit.

Philly is playing with more speed and less physicality this year. They aren't in the top 10 in major penalties this season. They are top 10 in total PIM's though. IMO they are still working on reputation to some extent. Granted, their D is big and they do have several guys who can rise to the physical challenge if needed.

Philly is playing with more speed and less physicality this year. They aren't in the top 10 in major penalties this season. They are top 10 in total PIM's though. IMO they are still working on reputation to some extent. Granted, their D is big and they do have several guys who can rise to the physical challenge if needed.

I probably overstated it, but Hartnell, Carcillo, and Shelly aren't all that scary. That's their grit, but I don't think they are going to bully anyone like they would in their reputed past.

Pittsburgh is a much more physically imposing team IMO.

The teams in the playoffs in the order I would like to avoid that scare me as matchups are;

1. Pens (Just seem to have our number this year and are winning with sound defense and goaltending)

2. Washington (they are actually a pretty big team and can play physical with a lot of goal scoring and speed.)

3. Phil ( hot and cold goaltending with good scoring but so so defense)

4. Canes (yes I am predicting they overtake Strangers for 8th)

5. Boston (Will go as far as Timmy will take them)

6. Montreal (price and can you say clutch and grab)

7. Tampa (weak d and suspect goaltending)

I probably overstated it, but Hartnell, Carcillo, and Shelly aren't all that scary. That's their grit, but I don't think they are going to bully anyone like they would in their reputed past.

Hartnell cut the hair, but Carcillo is still very scary to look at.

I agree with both points. Philly lost some of their toughness. Pittsburgh increased theirs this season. P-burgh has the ability to be nasty if they want to. And they usually want to to some extent. IMO Boston is 2nd in the conference in ability to play a big, nasty, physical game. Philly is 3rd on the list.

And that is about the order that I don't want to see these teams in the playoffs.

Pronger is the key. He's a dominant player and he changes their defensemen into a group that can dominate Buffalo's forwards. My understanding is that he's expected back for the first round. If he is, Philly is my #1 team to avoid. If not, it's Pittsburgh.

I agree with this.

Which means nothing. There is a huge difference between playing for your playoff lives and playing for seeding.

I would like to answer the question in the title of the thread, I just need 1 piece of information. Is Ruff going to stick with Miller no matter what? Or, if Miller falters will Ruff have a quick hook?

Archived