Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Have the fans in RBC Center always substituted players names for parts of the National Anthem? "Twlight's Tim Gleason" and "Oh, say can Jussi" for example.

I just got home from my 1600+ mile round trip journey to the game and didn't read the entire thread if this was already brought up.

Have the fans in RBC Center always substituted players names for parts of the National Anthem? "Twlight's Tim Gleason" and "Oh, say can Jussi" for example.

Don't know. But as a young child I never could figure out why it was 'through the Perreault-less fight' ...

I just got home from my 1600+ mile round trip journey to the game and didn't read the entire thread if this was already brought up.

Geez, that's what they were doing? I was wondering. I knew they always chanted RED! for RED glare...

No anthem is better than letting that stuff happen. IMO.

I can see the RED thing.. The adding of the players names was not only over the top but I thought it was rude/disrespectful.

I grew up in a very military family and we were taught to show respect to the flag, the anthem, and anyone who served our country. If I would of spoke during the national anthem growing up (unless I was singing along) I would of gotten a lecture or worse.

I think that's what they refer to in the NFL as "de-cleating." That was a great hit by Cody.

If you go to NHL.COM it was right after the maskless save by Enroth...they show a great angle in slow motion and you can see in the left corner Jokinen going flying in the air it is beautiful....

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hdpid=49&id=106395

about 18 seconds in is where you should start...a beautiful thing for sabres fans

Enroth should have said thanks to mccormick. Id be totally good with them resigning Mccormick and giving him a little raise. He flattend player w/e on that play and its so much fun. Idk how that was not the corubba collision because he destroyed the guy. Such a great sequence.

Enroth should have said thanks to mccormick. Id be totally good with them resigning Mccormick and giving him a little raise. He flattend player w/e on that play and its so much fun. Idk how that was not the corubba collision because he destroyed the guy. Such a great sequence.

McCormick is an important part of this team, I prefer him over Kaleta........... :beer:

Don't know. But as a young child I never could figure out why it was 'through the Perreault-less fight' ...

Hah! There was a stretch back in the day when Perreault was hurt, and then the "Perreault-less fight" was actually pretty accurate. Funny how we both heard that line the same way...

As an aside, there is that story (true or not) about the little kid whose mom took him grocery shopping just before Christmas. The kid wanted to know if they could buy some "umphant". The mom asked the kid what he was talking about and he said, "You know, like in the Christmas song - "be joyful and try umphant..." Ok, it's Monday and it's slow at work...

Geez, that's what they were doing? I was wondering. I knew they always chanted RED! for RED glare...

No anthem is better than letting that stuff happen. IMO.

This happens all the time in college hockey...Cornell fans yell RED, Clarkson fans yell KNIGHT (I know the word is 'night', but they can't help themselves). I agree it's disrespectful and unnecessary. Tell me this doesn't happen all over the NHL - I don't hear it much when the anthems are being played in HSBC.

This happens all the time in college hockey...Cornell fans yell RED, Clarkson fans yell KNIGHT (I know the word is 'night', but they can't help themselves). I agree it's disrespectful and unnecessary. Tell me this doesn't happen all over the NHL - I don't hear it much when the anthems are being played in HSBC.

Can't stand it either.

The "Oh say can Jus-si" was kind of funny when it happened the first time, it was during the '09 playoffs and Jokinen had a number of late game heroics. He had been put on waivers by Tampa and then picked up by the Canes (for a few spare/crappy parts/salary). He was really touched that the fans would be "singing" his name, especially after the year he had (I believe he lost his father that spring and flew home to Finland during the season). Anyway - it was kind of nice at the time, not happy that's it's continued.

The "Gleason" is just terrible.

I believe Atlanta fans also yell "KNIGHT" which is an old holdover from their old minor league team. I know there are some others, but they are escaping me at the moment.

Sure, the one on Saturday night was comparable to the Gleason deflection. Pure random bad luck. But the one on Sunday was both a bad decision and a physical mistake. Rather than just bat the puck away, it looked like he tried to catch it and bring it to the ice. He flubbed it and the rest is history. It was a bad play. It doesn't mean we should crucify him for it but let's not chalk that one up to a bad break.

Sounds to me like none of you folks complaining about Sekera on that play have ever played defense. The puck WAS GOING INTO THE NET NO MATTER WHAT. He did his best to get a mitt on it, but failed. He also had to worry about closing his hand on it, which would've been a penalty shot. Give him a break. There have been times when I have not liked his game, but on that play, he did all he could. Stuff like this happens to every one of us who plays defense at one time or another.

McCormick is an important part of this team, I prefer him over Kaleta........... :beer:

I love the Codeman. He's a beast!

Can't stand it either.

The "Oh say can Jus-si" was kind of funny when it happened the first time, it was during the '09 playoffs and Jokinen had a number of late game heroics. He had been put on waivers by Tampa and then picked up by the Canes (for a few spare/crappy parts/salary). He was really touched that the fans would be "singing" his name, especially after the year he had (I believe he lost his father that spring and flew home to Finland during the season). Anyway - it was kind of nice at the time, not happy that's it's continued.

I believe Atlanta fans also yell "KNIGHT" which is an old holdover from their old minor league team. I know there are some others, but they are escaping me at the moment.

The Baltimore Orioles with the second "O." Which has bled into Redskins, Caps, and Bullets/Wizards games for reasons I do not understand.

Sounds to me like none of you folks complaining about Sekera on that play have ever played defense. The puck WAS GOING INTO THE NET NO MATTER WHAT. He did his best to get a mitt on it, but failed. He also had to worry about closing his hand on it, which would've been a penalty shot. Give him a break. There have been times when I have not liked his game, but on that play, he did all he could. Stuff like this happens to every one of us who plays defense at one time or another.

^^^ This.

Yep, I'll agree with that. He impressed me when they brought him up in the playoffs last year and he's done a good job this year. Very under rated player. I bet if you asked a fan of another team what they thought of McCormick they'd give u :blink:

I can't say I've ever heard it other that done for anything but the Red and I've only heard it recently at Caps and RBC.

(I think they back people used to Sing just the "O" for the Baltimore Orioles.

can't say I appreciate it.

I can't say I've ever heard it other that done for anything but the Red and I've only heard it recently at Caps and RBC.

(I think they back people used to Sing just the "O" for the Baltimore Orioles.

can't say I appreciate it.

My foggy memory says the Dallas fans would yell "star" loudly during the 99 series.

Yep, I'll agree with that. He impressed me when they brought him up in the playoffs last year and he's done a good job this year. Very under rated player. I bet if you asked a fan of another team what they thought of McCormick they'd give u :blink:

Agreed, I think he is a throw back tough guy, not a :censored: talker and plays hard and rough but pretty fair...... :beer:

The girl who sang it was very good. She was so young, too. I think I liked it because she didn't do all the crazy over-the-top crap that anthem singers insist on doing these days.

Can't stand it either.

I guess I "get it."

Thanks for explaining this.

I just met drunkard. He seems fairly sober.

Well Drunkard, apparently I kept up with you yesterday in the beer drinking department. My wife just asked me "who was that guy drunkard that you were high fiving after the game?" It seems that we met up after the game in the lot and enjoyed a beer and a few celebratory high fives together, but I have absolutely no recollection of this. She said you were three sheets to the wind as well so you probably don't remember either. :lol:

Can't stand it either.

The Dallas Stars fans shout "STAR" which is the dumbest of them all

The Baltimore Orioles with the second "O." Which has bled into Redskins, Caps, and Bullets/Wizards games for reasons I do not understand.

Because Oriole fans are attending other events in their backyard...

Archived