Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Sabres at Hurricanes

4-03-2011

5PM start

This might be the biggest game of the season for both teams. Seventh-place Buffalo can move four points in front of the ninth-place Hurricanes with a regulation win, while Carolina could find itself in eighth place when the night is over if it wins and the New York Rangers lose in Philadelphia earlier in the day.

Sabres have not lost back to back games since TPegs took over. Just sayin'.

Game Notes

Best of luck trying to do anything today besides worry about the game later. I can't even sleep because I'm so nervous/excited. I know it's been said about the past 15 games, but this game obviously will have a HUGE impact on whether or not we make playoffs. It's about as close to a must-win as you can get. Good thing it's a Sunday and I don't have ###### to do except sit around and wait.

this calls for a visit from a few of our old pals.

(thanks to someone for quoting this video the other day and reminding me it existed)

I would sure feel better about tonight if Miller was in nets. Glad this is a 6 pm start don't think I would make it till 8.

We don't have many Nova Scotians on this board. Are you a WNY transplant? If not, how does someone from Nova Scotia get interested in the Sabres.

I would sure feel better about tonight if Miller was in nets. Glad this is a 6 pm start don't think I would make it till 8.

Eh, Enroth will bounce back from last night's performance. I'm pretty confident about him being in net tonight. I think the team as a whole will come out with guns-a-blazing. Lately the Sabres have been able to put pucks in the net.

Last time they played Carolina it was 1-0. I definitely don't expect the same outcome tonight.

Put up or shut up time. Can we go in walking with heads held high or will we be backing in hoping for help.

Show me what team you are going to be. In the voice of Larry the cable guy "Git'r Dun"

Let's go Buff'a'lo.

Best of luck trying to do anything today besides worry about the game later. I can't even sleep because I'm so nervous/excited. I know it's been said about the past 15 games, but this game obviously will have a HUGE impact on whether or not we make playoffs. It's about as close to a must-win as you can get. Good thing it's a Sunday and I don't have ###### to do except sit around and wait.

this calls for a visit from a few of our old pals.

(thanks to someone for quoting this video the other day and reminding me it existed)

Look at all that young talent that was on that team, that LINDY has turned into average underachievers. This team will be fighting every year just to make the playoffs as long as LINDY is the coach.

within the next 12 hours we may have a pretty good idea of our playoff hopes. The rangers game has almost as many implications as our own affair. If the rangers lose and say we do, we will be sitting for a tie with carolina in 8th. However if the rangers lose and we win, we will be 4 points up on the canes and 3 up on the rangers and firmly in 7th with 3 games to go... Not to mention a win puts us 1 point behind montreal for 6th. I think we need to win this game and then get 3 of the next 6 pts to be safe. This team is going to have to dig deep and find some consistency for the final 4.

Lets go Buffalo.

The question for the Sabres is Who's wants to be the hero? This is the type of game where legends and goats are born. Who wants the puck on their stick with the game on the line? Who wants to take that step towards being a Sabres legend? I looking towards Vanek. This is a game that he needs to be a dominate offensive force.

Look at all that young talent that was on that team, that LINDY has turned into average underachievers. This team will be fighting every year just to make the playoffs as long as LINDY is the coach.

I was thinking more along the lines of, "look at all that talent that previous ownership and Regier let get away!" Who's left from the 05-06 and 06-07 teams? Miller, Gaustad, Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, Hecht, Connolly, Grier? That's only 9 guys!

Anyway, getting back on topic...our favorite website (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Northeast/Sabres.html) tells us that 5 teams are left competing for 3 playoff spots:

Montreal: 99.3%

Buffalo: 82%

NY Rangers: 75.2%

Carolina: 42.5%

Toronto: 1%

Notice the big percentage difference between a regulation win and a regulation loss from this game alone? A 35% swing!

Folks, we NEED to at the very least take this game into OT. A regulation loss reduces our entire season down to a coin flip.

Are you ready, Western New York?! This game is going to be...dare I say...well, you know....HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!

The question for the Sabres is Who's wants to be the hero? This is the type of game where legends and goats are born. Who wants the puck on their stick with the game on the line? Who wants to take that step towards being a Sabres legend? I looking towards Vanek. This is a game that he needs to be a dominate offensive force.

I agree with that. The stage is set and I would like to see one or more players stand up and take that step. This is the time a true leader could distinguish himself from the rest.

There is a major conflict of interest going on today with this game for me. Today is my Son's 3rd Birthday, so we have a ton of fun things to do today before this game comes on...Unfortunately, the nervousness will be lingering in the back of my mind ALL DAY.

I

One other thing I will be watching today is if Lindy has the team backing up on the Canes for fear of penalty. Last time it was said the Canes diving had Lindy tell the team to back off.

I do not like that collapse in front of your goal style of play against a team with good puck handling offense. We need to not show too much respect and challenge Cole, Staal and Skinner before the blue line besides keep heads on a swivel when Ruutu and LaRose are on the ice.

I would expect the officiating to lean towards playoff style nothing gets called but flagrant penalties so there should be no need to back up. They could really surprise the Canes and me if they played the body instead of stick checks and finished them.

There is a major conflict of interest going on today with this game for me. Today is my Son's 3rd Birthday, so we have a ton of fun things to do today before this game comes on...Unfortunately, the nervousness will be lingering in the back of my mind ALL DAY.

I

I hope your son has a great birthday and that includes watching the Sabres win todays game.......... :beer:

Interesting from the stats page...

Carolina:

The Hurricanes complete their 20th of 21 sets of back-to-back games this season on Sunday against the

Sabres. Carolina began the set on Saturday with a 4-2 victory against the Islanders at Nassau Coliseum. The Canes are 20-14-5 in

back-to-back games this season, with a 13-3-4 record the first games, and a 7-11-1 record in the second games of those sets.

Sabres:

Today’s game concludes Buffalo’s 21st of a league-high 22 sets of back-to-back games this season. The Sabres are 11-8-2 in the first

game and 9-8-3 in the second. The Sabres have swept three sets, split 14, and been swept three times.

GO SABRES!!

I agree, this is a game Vanek needs to step up and I fully expect him too.

I agree 100%

Whoever steps up will be praised!

Vanek needs at least a 2g performance tonight.

One other thing I will be watching today is if Lindy has the team backing up on the Canes for fear of penalty. Last time it was said the Canes diving had Lindy tell the team to back off. I do not like that collapse in front of your goal style of play against a team with good puck handling offense. We need to not show too much respect and challenge Cole, Staal and Skinner before the blue line besides keep heads on a swivel when Ruutu and LaRose are on the ice. I would expect the officiating to lean towards playoff style nothing gets called but flagrant penalties so there should be no need to back up. They could really surprise the Canes and me if they played the body instead of stick checks and finished them.

We got big guys to take care of them.

If we can take out Skinner with a few nice shots (clean of course) or rough him up, he wont move as freely; he's a rookie!

Staal and Cole as well...rough em up.

But dont get focused on just them...the WHOLE Canes team needs to be roughed up too ;)

I as well had a rough time going to sleep and todays game will be MASSIVE.

Lets Go Buffalo! :D

Archived