Gerbe and Ennis

BuffaloSoldier2010

There are a ton of guys in the league as that are probably 5'8" that are listed as taller..

Briere, Kane, St. Louis,M. Comrie, Sullivan, Callahan, Marchant, Ray Whitney, Yuri Hurdler...

I don't get why 5'9" means much for forwards unless your job is screening the kitchen.

I agree if you are strong enough to skate with taller players your are fine and gerbe is probably a little taller than 5'5" but i am not sure it matters a lot. On defense it might matter more but as long as gerbs and ennis can skate around people I think they are ok and Gerbe has been a tough battler along the boards

I agree if you are strong enough to skate with taller players your are fine and gerbe is probably a little taller than 5'5" but i am not sure it matters a lot. On defense it might matter more but as long as gerbs and ennis can skate around people I think they are ok and Gerbe has been a tough battler along the boards

Actually I think Gerbe may be smaller...but it's not like there is a 10' hoop in hockey.

The tallest goal ever scored was 48 inches.

So here is a poser for you.

Do you think hobbits will actually benefit from the new head shot rules? Here's a thought, if you're a tall dude taking on a small dude, might you back off a bit knowing that a head shot could land you in the poke?

Sure. He used his experience and savvy to gain position and outmuscle a smaller player. Bottom line, Kennedy got outmuscled.

I thought it was a veteran play. Kennedy didn't get out-muscled because he wasn't muscling to start with; He wasn't expecting the contact. Is how I saw it.

I thought it was a veteran play. Kennedy didn't get out-muscled because he wasn't muscling to start with; He wasn't expecting the contact. Is how I saw it.

Whether Kennedy expected contact or not really doesn't matter to the end result.

I think the difference between your opinion and mine here is mostly semantics. :blush:

And I also think that check wouldn't have been nearly as effective against a larger player. And I think that gets to the gist of the discussion.

We are talking math again. Physics actually. If a player with more mass hits a player with less mass then that mass overpowers the other. Gerbe being less mass than most players. Speed, and strength are also variables. FUN TIMES :clapping:

Whether Kennedy expected contact or not really doesn't matter to the end result.

I think the difference between your opinion and mine here is mostly semantics. :blush:

And I also think that check wouldn't have been nearly as effective against a larger player. And I think that gets to the gist of the discussion.

Recchi isn't very big himself. Maybe same height with about 15 more pounds than Kennedy.

We are talking math again. Physics actually. If a player with more mass hits a player with less mass then that mass overpowers the other. Gerbe being less mass than most players. Speed, and strength are also variables. FUN TIMES :clapping:

I see that the UB education is paying huge dividends. :lol:

I don't buy this for a second. They were eyeing each other up the whole way in. TK just plain lost the battle.

Recchi isn't very big himself. Maybe same height with about 15 more pounds than Kennedy.

I know. But he knew how to maximize the small advantage he had. No matter how long Kennedy stays in pro hockey, he'll never have the advantage of size to use against another player (unless Byron makes the show of course). And that can be a difference maker in a close series, like say, last year.

I don't buy this for a second. They were eyeing each other up the whole way in. TK just plain lost the battle.

I think he was expecting contact, just not before the puck was played.

Kennedy's a pretty strong skater, no way he ends up on his tookis if he's bracing for contact there. (just how I see it)

I think he was expecting contact, just not before the puck was played.

Kennedy's a pretty strong skater, no way he ends up on his tookis if he's bracing for contact there. (just how I see it)

That's the way it looked to me as well. Had Tim touched the puck he'd've been ready for Recchi to hit him. He never expected (for whatever reason, youthful inexperience being the most likely) Recchi to pop him and THEN go for the puck.

I think you are being intentionally obtuse here. The issue isn't win with 2 but can't win with 3. It is winning at a time when checking is tight and physical play gets ramped up and your team has less mass and strength than the opposing team. We'd all like to think that grit and determination win out over size but the reality is EVERYBODY plays with grit and determination after round 1 so a player like Gerbe loses his advantage of grit and determination. And the checking is tighter so some of his skill advantage goes away as well.

Like I stated up-thread, this April will go a long way towards convincing me whether or not all these smaller statured guys can make a go of it on the same team. I hope I am pleasantly suprised.

I'm not being obtuse at all. I think "obtuse" is saying three small guys is too many based on the fear that they could be "potentially neutralized" come playoff time.

I'm talking about building the best possible team. And I would never advocate building a team of guys who are all less than six feet tall. The key word is BALANCE. You can win with three small players (hell, even four small players) on your top three lines so long as you have larger players playing with them.

The 2006 team wasn't a fluke or the result of rule changes. The key players were small-ish (Briere, Drury, Roy, Afinogenov, etc.) but there were guys like Grier, Dumont, and Gaustad playing on those lines too. The 2007 team was all about finesse and didn't have much of a gritty side by comparison.

The next three forwards the Sabres farm system is going to give us are: Luke Adam, Marcus Foligno, and Zack Kassian. They're all big guys. There's no reason we can't have a balanced team next season that includes Roy, Ennis, and Gerbe.

I think you are both misusing "obtuse" (although weave's usage is essentially correct, the word "intentionally" is redundant).

Having said that, I agree more with SNR on the merits, although I think he's being a bit cranky about it.

I'll disagree with you here on the bolded part. Not one of Luke Adam, Marcus Foligno, and Zack Kassian make the Sabres next season. Adam has already proven he is not remotely ready. Foligno and Kassian will go straight to Portland, of this I have no doubt.

You need to remember, only 1 player in 13 years with Regier as the GM has made the jump from Juniors directly to the NHL, Tyler Myers.

There is a very solid reason why that is. Dineen has already stated, following the Kassian contract signing earlier this season, that he looks forward to working with Kassian in futhering his development to the professional level and both Regier and Ruff have commented how Kassian will need to work on his game, specifically his skating ability in order to make the adjustment. Foligno isn't ready for the NHL either in my opinion.

All 3 of those players will be in Portland next season, and rightfully so. There is just no reason to rush these young kids up here to Buffalo.

I think you are probably right that none of them will be in the NHL to start the season, and that this is the right decision for them and for the team. But I agree with XB that we'll see them (or at least Adam and Kassian) at some point next year. This will partially depend on whom among McCormick, Grier and Niedermayer comes back next year.

I think you are both misusing "obtuse" (although weave's usage is essentially correct, the word "intentionally" is redundant).

Having said that, I agree more with SNR on the merits, although I think he's being a bit cranky about it.

I think you are probably right that none of them will be in the NHL to start the season, and that this is the right decision for them and for the team. But I agree with XB that we'll see them (or at least Adam and Kassian) at some point next year. This will partially depend on whom among McCormick, Grier and Niedermayer comes back next year.

I may be a minority of one but, I think they are all back next year. They're not flashy. All they do is the dirty work and I think Lindy places a high value on veteran leadership.

Speaking of that, I'll be very curious to see how many additional "development" coaches Lindy is going to be willing to bring in to develop HIS players. I don't see it happening.

The comment that they're going to spend more doesn't necessarily mean they hire more. Maybe they give Dineen and his staff higher standing within the organization and give them (especially Dineen) more money than he's currently getting.

There are a ton of guys in the league as that are probably 5'8" that are listed as taller..

Briere, Kane, St. Louis,M. Comrie, Sullivan, Callahan, Marchant, Ray Whitney, Yuri Hurdler...

I don't get why 5'9" means much for forwards unless your job is screening the kitchen.

And with the Flyers always being the face of physical hockey in the NHL, they sure do have a decent number of those guys who are listed taller than they really are.

That's the way it looked to me as well. Had Tim touched the puck he'd've been ready for Recchi to hit him. He never expected (for whatever reason, youthful inexperience being the most likely) Recchi to pop him and THEN go for the puck.

You too?

Watch the replay.

Kennedy is moving toward Recchi first, lining him up. He just got out Recchi-ed, that's all.

a low center of gravity helps smaller/rounder players fight for position. Ennis (like Briere) will always have trouble with this but Gerbe will be a career scrapper similar to Mark Recchi in style

The comment that they're going to spend more doesn't necessarily mean they hire more. Maybe they give Dineen and his staff higher standing within the organization and give them (especially Dineen) more money than he's currently getting.

Pegula said they would be hiring more player development coaches. He actually said "Starting today," but I'm not going to hold him to that, as I think he just got his script mixed up.

a low center of gravity helps smaller/rounder players fight for position. Ennis (like Briere) will always have trouble with this but Gerbe will be a career scrapper similar to Mark Recchi in style

If Gerbe turns into Recchi, he'll be the best player that Regier ever drafted. And I don't even need nearly 600 career goals; I'd be happy with about 500.

The other fun part about that would be retiring his number.....and unveiling a banner that was noticeably shorter than the other banners.

#AnythingCanHappenWithTerryPegulaInCharge

Archived