Gerbe and Ennis

BuffaloSoldier2010

And another thought;

I noticed all of the Vanek-for-captain shouters have died down. I'll tell you what, and I can't believe I'm typing this out, the two guys on the team that are showing the heart and desire that captains need to show are the 2 little guys. Maybe not next season, but I think Ennis and/or Gerbe are the two guys showing captain tendencies right now.

Is anyone else starting to think that with Ennis around we don't need 3 traditional centers? He is turning into such a great playmaker that I think I'd be OK with keeping Boyes at center next year.

NOTE- I'm not suggesting that we don't need to get a C in the offseason. But I am starting to think that Ennis can be the primary playmaker on whatever line he populates and that a traditional center isn't needed for him. We still need a center for Vanek. And Roy will be around next year. But if we keep Roy and Ennis on separate lines we'd still have a 3rd playmaker.

Vanek - C - Pomminstein

Ennis - Boyes - Stafford

Gerbe - Roy - Mancari (has he earned it this 2nd half?)

McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

Wow. No room for Hecht?

You know I was thinking the same thing last night that should we keep boyes ennis stafford together as a line. They rarely are on the ice when a goal against is scored. They are quick and dangerous. Boyes we saw last night can drive down to the net and slide a puck across to whomever. With ennis' playmaking skills, Boyes puck control/smart play and Staffords drive to the net (needs to do it every game) attitude the sabres could really develop something there. Who knows in the offseason if Boyes buys into it, he could learn to be better at faceoffs and other center things... Interesting concept to say the least.

I would not consider Gerbe to be an 'agitator' in the classic sense. Kaleta fits that description to a tee.

I actually see Pat as a 40 game fixture on the 4th line for the next 2-4 years which is probably when the career threatening injury takes place. You just can't throw your body around that recklessly without it taking a tremendous toll.

Good stuff. I don't see Gerbe/Kaleta in the same category either.

I think Kaleta sticks around. Very strong option to have even if he gets scratched from time to time.

Is anyone else starting to think that with Ennis around we don't need 3 traditional centers? He is turning into such a great playmaker that I think I'd be OK with keeping Boyes at center next year.

NOTE- I'm not suggesting that we don't need to get a C in the offseason. But I am starting to think that Ennis can be the primary playmaker on whatever line he populates and that a traditional center isn't needed for him. We still need a center for Vanek. And Roy will be around next year. But if we keep Roy and Ennis on separate lines we'd still have a 3rd playmaker.

Vanek - C - Pomminstein

Ennis - Boyes - Stafford

Wow. No room for Hecht?

Ummm.......no.

I would definitely want a guy that can win 55% or more of his face offs, knows how to position himself in the center position and is trained to do the job he is doing. That is not Boyes.

Brad Boyes is an acceptable fill-in because we have nothing else at this time, but he shined as a right winger in the NHL, not as a center.

To me, it's a waste not to get Stafford and Ennis a real center that has natural abilities at the position.

And another thought;

I noticed all of the Vanek-for-captain shouters have died down. I'll tell you what, and I can't believe I'm typing this out, the two guys on the team that are showing the heart and desire that captains need to show are the 2 little guys. Maybe not next season, but I think Ennis and/or Gerbe are the two guys showing captain tendencies right now.

The Vanek-for-captain shouts died down because the argument is over. It's sorta like saying the Earth-is-round shouts have died down.

Ennis and Gerbe ARE showing leadership/captain tendencies right now though. Big time. This bodes really well for the future and I won't be surprised if one or both has a letter on his jersey before long.

The Vanek-for-captain shouts died down because the argument is over. It's sorta like saying the Earth-is-round shouts have died down.

Ennis and Gerbe ARE showing leadership/captain tendencies right now though. Big time. This bodes really well for the future and I won't be surprised if one or both has a letter on his jersey before long.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Huh. I guess I missed the press release when consensus was reached. Link?

Ummm.......no.

I would definitely want a guy that can win 55% or more of his face offs, knows how to position himself in the center position and is trained to do the job he is doing. That is not Boyes.

Brad Boyes is an acceptable fill-in because we have nothing else at this time, but he shined as a right winger in the NHL, not as a center.

To me, it's a waste not to get Stafford and Ennis a real center that has natural abilities at the position.

Yes. Center center CENTER! Center.

OK, who do you want to be captain next October?

If I have to choose from a current roster player I won't be happy with any of them. Vanek, Pommer, Roy, Myers..... none of them make me happy to see wearing the "C".

I don't see how the argument could be over when none of them are near ideal for the job.

If I have to choose from a current roster player I won't be happy with any of them. Vanek, Pommer, Roy, Myers..... none of them make me happy to see wearing the "C".

I don't see how the argument could be over when none of them are near ideal for the job.

Not to speak for him but I think he meant the argument was moot for now because they weren't go to pick anyone till October.

As for me, I will be shocked if Vanek is not captain next year.

The argument is over because there's no one on the team better suited to be captain in 2011-2012 than Thomas Vanek. He's the most talented player on the team and he works hard. He also seems to take well to responsibility; he upped his game after Roy went down and lead the team back into the playoff race.

He's not ideal because he's not proven, but he's a good bet to step up when given the "C."

If the Sabres acquire someone this summer who is ideal for the captaincy, the argument can start up again. Until then, it's basically over. Vanek is the choice if we're talking about guys on the team now. Gerbe, Ennis, and Myers are all too young and should be focused on becoming legit NHL players (hopefully really good ones). Pominville and Roy never really impressed me as alternate captains. I like Montador fine (if we re-sign him) and he's a good player, but ideally you'd want your captain to be someone capable of taking over a game.

[Also, Mike Robitaille agrees with me. Right after the game he said something along the lines of "you can put the C on his jersey right now." So there. :nana: ]

Vanek is the teams best player and he is becoming one of the hardest working ones...I cannot count how many times he has raced back into plays from behind to help on defense, but it has been many...he is setting a great example for others on the team, and while he isn't the "rah-rah" kinda guy, you don't always need that type of player for your captain. He has become a good, responsible player and that is more than you can say for a lot of goal scorers in this league...besides if Mike Robitaille is behind him for being captain, there obviously is something there...not like he hands out ringing endorsements for that sort of thing too often...

Vanek - C - Pomminstein

Ennis - Boyes - Stafford

Wow. No room for Hecht?

I know it has been long discussed that it would be tough to get two centers this offseason (and we may be stuck with hecht playing one of those center spots for now). Seeing how LR switched Boyes to LW as soon as Hecht came back tonight against the devils shows that LR agrees that Boyes is a RW.

So I'm saying doesn't the addition of just one more center make things look a lot better? (excluding Hecht in your model too)

Vanek - #1 C - Pomminstein

Ennis - #2 C - Stafford

Gerbe - Roy - Boyes

Thats a lot more post-lockout Sabres with three scoring lines. Notice by losing Connolly, Hecht, Grier and Neidermayer the team looks a lot better both in their roles and the depth. Given the way Gerbe has been playing as of late, I think we need to go to a 3 scoring/1 energy checking line strategy.

i think they have both played great. my fear is that they will disappear come mid-april, although ennis did well against boston last year in the first round. gerbe has a ton of heart but just gets pushed around too easy. he was knocked off the puck relatively easy 3 or 4 times by ranger defensemen tonight. i have higher hopes for mancari than gerbe.

What LINDY did to ENNIS last night was a joke, I know it was a bad turnover (mistake), but you talk to the kid, not take him off his line where he has been one of the most productive Sabres in the last month. I think LINDY sees MAX with ENNIS, but that is not the case they are not close to being the same player. ENNIS is a rookie, he's gonna make mistakes here and there and my opinion is LINDY handled it wrong, especially in a critical game that needed scoring. LINDY needs to learn that TYLER is not MAX.

What LINDY did to ENNIS last night was a joke, I know it was a bad turnover (mistake), but you talk to the kid, not take him off his line where he has been one of the most productive Sabres in the last month. I think LINDY sees MAX with ENNIS, but that is not the case they are not close to being the same player. ENNIS is a rookie, he's gonna make mistakes here and there and my opinion is LINDY handled it wrong, especially in a critical game that needed scoring. LINDY needs to learn that TYLER is not MAX.

He only missed 2 or 3 shifts in lockdown mode at the end.

He took him off of Stafford-Boyes and paired him with Gaustad-McCormick.

Seemed like a good call to me.

He only missed 2 or 3 shifts in lockdown mode at the end.

He took him off of Stafford-Boyes and paired him with Gaustad-McCormick.

Seemed like a good call to me.

He took him off the line right after it happened, he had 13 shifts, the lowest on the team, bad move, you don't take one of your leading scorers off the ice because of a mistake that wasn't even costly.

He took him off the line right after it happened, he had 13 shifts, the lowest on the team, bad move, you don't take one of your leading scorers off the ice because of a mistake that wasn't even costly.

You are parsing about 3 or 4 shifts, Sabres had 1 powerplay.....IIRC.

Not a surprising move, nor a dramatic one IMO.

• 4 months later...

Archived