Gerbe and Ennis

BuffaloSoldier2010

Ennis playing the Briere part to Leino wouldn't be out of the question.

The one part of Briere's game that is the most underrated IMO is his leg and core strength.

Not everyone can play that role near the net, even if they have the hands.

I really don't see Ennis becoming the next Max for one major reason: if he loses the puck, he doesn't give up on the play. Too many time I watched as Max gave up the puck, and just stopped skating, or lackadaisically skated back. Ennis continues to fight for the puck. I could see Ennis being the next Briere rather than Max.
Ennis is a beautiful player to watch in the open ice, and he has great skills.

But, I choose to ere on the conservative and statistical side of things.

I don't see Ennis shooting percentage jumping from 9.5% to 15% without a radical change in his style of game.

He may find some more space to work with simply with experience, but I think his

skills are pretty complete right now...therefore I don't see a lot more production coming from him in terms of goals unless he spends time in the dirty areas.

good stuff.

the comparisons between ennis and briere seem natural to me. and i agree that, in order for the comparison to become more apt, ennis needs to develop the strength to do the sort of stuff that briere does in and around the net. to that end, maybe we can get young tyler hooked up with hugo girard.

Just an anecdote on Ennis.

How many times have you seen a game from the opposing team's broadcast crew in which they highlight a play where nothing really happened? Well in the Philly series Ennis took the puck into the Philly end and was confronted by two Flyers while against the wall. He had nowhere to go and then suddenly made an unbelievable move to slip between them. But then he lost the puck and it was taken out of the zone.

This play was highlighted by the Flyer announcers simply for the amazing moves of Ennis even though nothing happened as a result. I think that says a lot.

Yeah, but what if it says that he is the next Afinogenov?

OK, I am pushing your buttons, I don't think that is the case, but announcers are often nothing more than fans as far as their insight ... when I lived in Pittsburgh, Mike Lange used to RAVE about Tallinder and his skating ability every time the Sabres played them. EVERY time. He drooled over the guy, and this was an announcer who watched the Pens best teams every night, not some rookie in the booth. But at the end of the day, Tallinder's career has been pretty average, wouldn't you say? Ennis could be a hall of famer or flame out horribly still, it's WAY too early to tell.

Can anyone find a clip of this?

I would love to see it again!

I could have sworn this was gerbe but I am once again proved incorrect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT6ductZMR8&feature=relmfu

Amazing move, Probably the only time in 22 years of watching and playing hockey that I have watched live an original move like this.

2:15 mark BTW

OK, I am pushing your buttons, I don't think that is the case, but announcers are often nothing more than fans as far as their insight ... when I lived in Pittsburgh, Mike Lange used to RAVE about Tallinder and his skating ability every time the Sabres played them. EVERY time. He drooled over the guy, and this was an announcer who watched the Pens best teams every night, not some rookie in the booth. But at the end of the day, Tallinder's career has been pretty average, wouldn't you say? Ennis could be a hall of famer or flame out horribly still, it's WAY too early to tell.

I don't agree with that Tallinder is a way above average defender and is incredibly underrated in this league.

Not to hurt your feelings on this, but the Pittsburgh announcers are among the worst in the league. I literally turn off the sound whenever they are on. They make Rick Jeannerette sound impartial.

But to your post...it wasn't just verbal praise. They came back from commercial with a replay of Ennis making the move and losing the puck. Taking actual video time is a bit different than verbal praise. Anyway, I was impressed...both with their coverage and with the move itself (which was jaw-dropping).

Amazing move, Probably the only time in 22 years of watching and playing hockey that I have watched live an original move like this.

This play also shows how much Ennis busts his ass. A lazy player would've stopped in disbelief that his attempt was stopped, where as Ennis got right back in the play to check the man with the puck at center ice.

Can't wait to see this kid keep developing.

difference btw Afinogenov and Ennis.... desire.

I understand the dislike of max but I dont think he was as lazy as a lot of people here do. I saw him bust his ass on numerous occasions and not just in the offensive zone. I also saw him backcheck as hard as possible after giving up a bad turnover... I dont think it was as much as it should have been but still he had a lot of desire to play this game.

I could have sworn this was gerbe but I am once again proved incorrect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT6ductZMR8&feature=relmfu

2:15 mark BTW

Well, that got me all jazzed up for hockey.

It's almost September...

Not to hurt your feelings on this, but the Pittsburgh announcers are among the worst in the league. I literally turn off the sound whenever they are on. They make Rick Jeannerette sound impartial.

But to your post...it wasn't just verbal praise. They came back from commercial with a replay of Ennis making the move and losing the puck. Taking actual video time is a bit different than verbal praise. Anyway, I was impressed...both with their coverage and with the move itself (which was jaw-dropping).

My feelings are not hurt because you totally missed the point. I was not praising the announcers, I agree they are huge homers. The point was you put more stock in a pretty move than the fact that it amounted to nothing but a turnover, and somehow it was reinforced just because the announcers, who may or may not actually know hockey very well, noticed it and they replayed it. What if the announcers had criticized him for getting cute and turning it over? Would you still be lending weight to what they said? Somehow I doubt it.

Archived