The Chara incident

X. Benedict

I'm done with this thread. I can't see the hockey because of all the pitchforks and torches.

The funny thing is most of these guys can't wait till Kassian hits the big club. If the Chara hit is criminal than Kassian is the equivalent to Jeffrey Dahmer.

The funny thing is most of these guys can't wait till Kassian hits the big club. If the Chara hit is criminal than Kassian is the equivalent to Jeffrey Dahmer.

That's what I'm afraid of. I like Kassian's (and Foligno's) physical styles, but I hope that they can come up here and play a clean game, not one that makes me lose my respect for them. Kaleta is also on my list these days of players who are borderline dirty, and I don't much like it. Again, I appreciate his energy, but if he doesn't get killed first, he may kill someone. I don't approve of everything he does, and I likely wont approve of everything that Kassian and Foligno might do, but you have to hope their game is smarter than this boneheaded move Chara seems to have gotten away with. I don't like to see any player run into the glass like that, especially if it didn't need to happen.

Don't take the opinions in this thread about Chara and imply that it would be different if he were on this team. It's an insult to those of us who are fans of the sport as a whole, not just of the Sabres. Respect the fact that a majority of us are legitimately displeased with this, because we want to see the hard working players at this game's highest level continue to play for as long as their talent allows them. Careers and seasons shouldn't be ended by dirty play like this.

Please elaborate on this explanation.

He broke a rule in a sports contest that resulted in most likely a career ending injury. Why wouldn't severe punishment be at hand to stop that sort of behavior? And why wouldn't it be considered criminal investigation worthy, since he broke a rule and caused serious harm to an individual.

As some one else once pointed out:

If I'm driving my car, make a right on red without looking what is coming trafic wise and crash and seriously injure someone I can say I didn't intend to do that.

Doesnt mean I'm not criminally negligent or liable.

Already did. Please see sentence following sentence you highlighted.

Chara is just plain dirty and will always instigate and then slip away when the big boys get involved. I would love Lucic on the Sabres and would hate Chara on this team. Lucic will always back up what he does. Chara is a biatch!!!

They both should have been weary of that glass booth that separates the benches. Pacioretty smacked his head right into the corner of the glass. That glass should be semi-circular instead of a right angle, first and foremost. But mainly, both players should have been aware of it.

Sedin, Thornton blast NHL

"You tell [everyone] Chara has no history [of illegal hits], so the next time he does it he still has no history because he didn't get suspended [for hitting Pacioretty]. I don't see the reasoning behind it," the usually-reserved Sedin said. "Give him at least something to show that's not acceptable."

Choosing not to suspend Chara reflects worse on the NHL than the hit against Pacioretty, says Thornton.

"If you say that you don't know where things are around the ice, I think you're not telling the truth," Sedin added.

I like that Henrik Sedin also basically calls Chara a liar. Good for both of these guys.

Sedin, Thornton blast NHL

I like that Henrik Sedin also basically calls Chara a liar. Good for both of these guys.

Sedin slamming the NHL should be treated as if it were Crosby, Malkin, Vanek, Gretzky, or friggen Gordie Howe himself. This is a star player of the league disagreeing with the decision. I hope this whole mess keeps going. I want the NHL to continue being embarrassed. It's about time players spoke out and acknowledged all of the things we as knowledgeable fans have been saying for years.

Sedin slamming the NHL should be treated as if it were Crosby, Malkin, Vanek, Gretzky, or friggen Gordie Howe himself. This is a star player of the league disagreeing with the decision. I hope this whole mess keeps going. I want the NHL to continue being embarrassed. It's about time players spoke out and acknowledged all of the things we as knowledgeable fans have been saying for years.

They will continue to have reason to be embarrassed; but I oftentimes doubt that ANY of the 'movers and shakers' have ever been (nor continue to be) embarrassed. (What, I've been walking around for the last 2 hours with my pants around my ankles exposing my Erkel (sp?) underwear? Really? Why, heeeelllllloooooo laaaaadies. I'm feeling lucky tonight. :doh: )

Yesterday afternoon Rob Ray was asked about the incindent on WGR. He contradicted himself badly which leads me to believe he was hiding a dirty, ugly truth.

Ray said he didn't think that Chara did it on putrpose because the play happened so fast and players wouldn't have that kind of positional awareness. Then he went on to say that players routinely try to check opponents through open bench doors. I don't see how players are aware enough and have the time to react to an open bench door to make a check but Chara, an elite level player, wouldn't have the time or positional awareness to take advantage of that post.

Reminds me of the thin blue line protecting cops who do bad things.

"Our hockey operations people are extraordinarily comfortable with the decision...." --G. Bettman.

Extraordinarily comfortable? More comfortable that usual? Weird.

Also, I've now seen Bettman's comments regarding Air Canada in video form (on the front page of TSN) and wow, does he come off like an arrogant prick.

I wish it wasn't coming from one of the NHL's golden boys. I want to see these comments come from guys who don't have the same exact protection from the NHL that Chara does.

It's really frustrating to see that pretty much everyone involved in Hockey at some level (sponsors, star players, less notable players - sorry monty :nana: , commentators etc.) know that there was something wrong with the Chara hit and the only people saying its clean are the guys running the league.

If they are so arrogant that they didn't see this ###### storm coming then how can we trust them to run this league effectively. It's no wonder that ESPN only talks about them when they have violent controversies like this. That sort of negative publicity is never going to get the league back into 'Big 4' status.

It's really frustrating to see that pretty much everyone involved in Hockey at some level (sponsors, star players, less notable players - sorry monty :nana: , commentators etc.) know that there was something wrong with the Chara hit and the only people saying its clean are the guys running the league.

If they are so arrogant that they didn't see this ###### storm coming then how can we trust them to run this league effectively. It's no wonder that ESPN only talks about them when they have violent controversies like this. That sort of negative publicity is never going to get the league back into 'Big 4' status.

Whether people like it or not, the times are changing. Either people/leagues will adjust to it or they'll be left behind. Hopefully the NHL catches on soon.

Whether people like it or not, the times are changing. Either people/leagues will adjust to it or they'll be left behind. Hopefully the NHL catches on soon.

As the great Bob Dylan once said...

But seriously, I think you're dead on. I think people like violence in a controlled setting but there needs to be regulation. Gone are the days of roller derbys, broad street bullies and the XFL. There will always be an interest in physical competition but there always has to be a line between acceptable violence and brutality. People now a days seem to steer clear of brutality and more towards violence in the confines of sport. It's why the NFL is so successful

I find it funny that a lot of the same people that are so horrified by this hit will stand up and cheer two guys bashing each other in the face.

Just a little side note, not sure what it means, but I played in an open hockey game last night and not a single person thought that Chara should have been suspended.

I find it funny that a lot of the same people that are so horrified by this hit will stand up and cheer two guys bashing each other in the face.

We all know it's OK in the NHL to bash someone in the head as long as there is direct eye contact. :rolleyes:

I think somewhere earlier in this thread that someone mentioned that Chara gets booed in every arena in the league except TD Garden. Well, he was booed there last night, too. I'm sure it was the smattering of Sabres' fans. :ph34r:

We all know it's OK in the NHL to bash someone in the head as long as there is direct eye contact. :rolleyes:

I think somewhere earlier in this thread that someone mentioned that Chara gets booed in every arena in the league except TD Garden. Well, he was booed there last night, too. I'm sure it was the smattering of Sabres' fans. :ph34r:

Nah, it was the Boston fans booing their franchise player. They've all got stock in Air Canada. :thumbsup:

How often is anyone seriously hurt in a hockey fight? Most of the punches don't even connect. Even in fights with a clear winner, there's rarely blood.

Most hockey fights are more about sending a message and clutching the other guy's jersey than they are about actually hurting someone. Lucic had a chance to really hurt McCormick last night and he passed on it.

When I watch a Sabre fight someone, I'm more worried about them being embarrassed than I am about them being hurt because, realistically, that's the more plausible of the two negative outcomes.

Archived