The Chara incident

X. Benedict

A nice article from the Boston Globe on the incident (yes, Boston): http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2011/03/nhl_takes_a_hit.html

The obvious point to be made is you take responsibility for your actions, regardless of intent. The NHL could have avoided this whole media/PR firestorm had they just given Chara a token game or two (which is what the NBA or NFL probably would have done IMHO).

And if you listen to the commentary..."It's just one of those things"...."Unless a guy is cruel beyond belief"...."It just happened at that spot"....

If you took a still picture of Johnson on Smyth, it would look like he was driving his head into the turnbuckle with his elbow.

The Avs went after him as they should have, but to say any of these guys wanted to knock someone unconcious.......

Let me get this straight, you can write 10,000-word posts on this issue where you bring in Clint Malarchuk's injury and analogies to the government, but at no point in any of those thousands of words are you comfortable making a judgment about anyone's intentions with these hits? Terrific.

And, again, was Chara trying to brake Pacioretty's vertebrae with that hit? No, I don't think he was shooting for a specific injury. He was just trying to ram his head into a solid wall. He succeeded. Now he should be punished based on the results of successfully doing exactly what he was trying to do.

He can't just say "I didn't mean to break his vertebrae!" No, he meant to smash his head into a solid wall -- the broken vertebrae and severe concussion were just the result.

neither of those hits were interference either ...

BINGO!!!!!

We Have A Winner Johnny!!!!

The play involving Chara was ILLEGAL in accordance with the NHL rule book. He was, in fact, interfering with an opposing player.

Hence, it should dam well be a suspending offence, and, given the fact that CHARA DID INDEED break an on ice rule and also caused a potential career ending injury in the process, the penalty should be a SEASON SUSPENSION regardless of intent.

A nice article from the Boston Globe on the incident (yes, Boston): http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2011/03/nhl_takes_a_hit.html

The obvious point to be made is you take responsibility for your actions, regardless of intent. The NHL could have avoided this whole media/PR firestorm had they just given Chara a token game or two (which is what the NBA or NFL probably would have done IMHO).

I don't think a "token game or two" would be adequately "taking responsibility" given Pacioretty's current state and, probably, his future.

You'd have to show intent.

In the Malkin/Myers incident, if you take the time to watch the replay, Myers is actually facing backwards and lost his footing while hitting Malkins knee.

I do not believe you can prove intent there.

Also, be advised, just because it's a sport does not give immunity to situations from law enforcement, that's just not reality. If a crime has been reported, then it must be investigated to the fullest to ensure justice is done. Hockey is just hockey, justice is a much more serious matter and takes precedence all day long, even if it involves hockey or any other sport for that matter.

Hmmnn.....that's not what I see. What I see is Myers CLEARLY ELBOWING MALKIN FROM BEHIND and the momentum from that hit ended up with Malkin blowing out his knee. The act of elbowing is clearly illegal as to NHL rulebook, as is the act of hitting a player from behind. Myers should have been suspended for the rest of the season as he took no precaution in his dual illegal actions and obviously didn't care about the consequences to Malkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKafWqGiOcI

Hmmnn.....that's not what I see. What I see is Myers CLEARLY ELBOWING MALKIN FROM BEHIND and the momentum from that hit ended up with Malkin blowing out his knee. The act of elbowing is clearly illegal as to NHL rulebook, as is the act of hitting a player from behind. Myers should have been suspended for the rest of the season as he took no precaution in his dual illegal actions and obviously didn't care about the consequences to Malkin.

Clearly Myers didn't hit Malkins leg until he was spun around, now remind me again where the intent to take out his knee was?

0:25 to 0:27 mark you can clearly see his elbow never wen't up, and I wouldn't consider it a hit from behind considering the players were within inches of neck and neck in a race for the puck.

But that's neither here nor there, the injury was not, in fact, caused by the initial hit, but by a set of circumstances where Myers was actually spun around and was facing in the opposite direction when the knee injury occured.

As a matter of fact, you could argue that Malkin could be called for tripping given where he placed his skate and leg between the legs of Myers forcing the spin around.

I understand what you mean by the elbowing but it wasnt from behind (unless you're talking about his right elbow on the swing around).

The point that he didnt care is kind of judgmental...the play wasnt stopped immediately (ie Kaleta's where he showed concern b/c of the downed opponent), he kept playing because the puck was there.

Under what grounds would a season long suspension be in place?

... we are going in circles now with this, but Myers wasn't called for a penalty, if he had been called for elbowing then yea maybe he should have been suspended or if anyone ever was like he elbowed malkin than we could visit it but he wasnt and he didnt really. Should be a good game tonight with chara.

Now you're being a child about this. Wasting server space and bandwidth.

I don't see the elbow as being extended (as required by rule 45) at the point of contact, so no elbowing penalty, and Myers' left leg is in front of Malkin at the time of the collision and malkin knew he was there (see Rule 43), so it can't be checking from behind. Unless being reborn last summer as an awkward baby giraffe (which watching Tyler fall down all season is DEFINATELY what happened) is a penalty, I don't see any infraction on this play.

If this had happend in a sabres game on say ennis... I think Myers or more likely Weber would have pushed refs out of the way to get to chara. Tonight it will be interesting to see Chara play because it seems that he does kinda feel bad and he does not seem comfortable discussing it but we shall see if that translates to the ice.

I say we send Gerbe in low to stand the sonofabitch up right then have Meyers take his head off with his stick. :thumbsup: I know it's the Habs fight and we will see if they do anything about it. I'm sick of watching Chara play his dirty style and the on ice officials looking the other way. Bettemans arrogance about Air Canada's stance on this really is disgusting and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass.

Neither one got suspended.

They should have been. Those were brutal hits. Should be a penalty to crush a guy into those endboard pieces.

The NHL needs to learn how to err on the side of caution with these rulings. Suspending a guy too long should not be the concern. Just as in criminal justice, punishment should be swift, certain and severe.

Letter from Geoff Molson to Canadiens fans

The Montreal Canadiens organization does not agree with the decision taken yesterday by the National Hockey League. We can assure you that we have made our position clear to Commissioner Gary Bettman, and that he has agreed to make this issue a priority at the next General Manager’s meeting, which will be held in Florida on March 14-16. Pierre Gauthier, our General Manager, will be present at this meeting and has already expressed his wish to carry out, clearly, our message to his 29 counterparts and to the League.

Our organization believes that the players’ safety in hockey has become a major concern, and that this situation has reached a point of urgency. At risk are some of the greatest professional athletes in the world, our fan base and the health of our sport at all levels. Players’ safety in hockey must become the ultimate priority and the situation must be addressed immediately. As a proud father of three hockey players, I want to help create a healthy and safe experience for them, and I certainly never want any family to go through what the Pacioretty’s are experiencing at this moment.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=555639

You're pretty much dead on with this one, but just in case someone took it seriously, they need to read up on the definition of elbowing.

I am serious.

If it isn't an elbow, then it is surely a hit from behind. Myers initiates contact with his elbow to the back of Malkin, on the nameplate between the numbers. While his intent wasn't to injure.....and that is a big assumption.....by his illegal and dangerous action of hitting from behind, both players consequently lost control of their bodies and because of this, Myers blew out Malkin's knee.

Obviously the point of my post is lost upon the replies, and those who understand where I am going with this are tacet.

You want regulation.....I just lost you Mr Calder for 4 months.

Clearly Myers didn't hit Malkins leg until he was spun around, now remind me again where the intent to take out his knee was?

Sort of like Chara didn't intend to break his neck?

0:25 to 0:27 mark you can clearly see his elbow never wen't up, and I wouldn't consider it a hit from behind considering the players were within inches of neck and neck in a race for the puck.

Sort of like they were in Montreal?

But that's neither here nor there, the injury was not, in fact, caused by the initial hit, but by a set of circumstances where Myers was actually spun around and was facing in the opposite direction when the knee injury occured.

After Myers initiated a hit from behind

As a matter of fact, you could argue that Malkin could be called for tripping given where he placed his skate and leg between the legs of Myers forcing the spin around.

Sounds good to me

I am serious.

If it isn't an elbow, then it is surely a hit from behind. Myers initiates contact with his elbow to the back of Malkin, on the nameplate between the numbers. While his intent wasn't to injure.....and that is a big assumption.....by his illegal and dangerous action of hitting from behind, both players consequently lost control of their bodies and because of this, Myers blew out Malkin's knee.

Obviously the point of my post is lost upon the replies, and those who understand where I am going with this are tacet.

#1. You need to read up on the definition of elbowing.

#2. Myers initiated that hit face-to-face.

Either you seriously do see that hit the way you're describing it or you're trolling for negative responses. Either way, there's nothing more to be said here.

#1. You need to read up on the definition of elbowing.

#2. Myers initiated that hit face-to-face.

Either you seriously do see that hit the way you're describing it or you're trolling for negative responses. Either way, there's nothing more to be said here.

If he initiated it face to face.....how is his elbow in the back of Malkin as he's pushed into the wall?

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to show the soccermoms that if you want strict regulation of the game because of this week, be prepared for a broad interpretation.

If he initiated it face to face.....how is his elbow in the back of Malkin as he's pushed into the wall?

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to show the soccermoms that if you want strict regulation of the game because of this week, be prepared for a broad interpretation.

I completely agree that there will be a broad interpretation. But then again, as was stated earlier, there was no penalty on the Myers play as the puck was right next to the players. I think you failed to acknowledge that the puck was 15 to 20 feet up the ice before Chara even initiated the hit on Max. These are not subtle differences, the penalty call is more than just an indication of just how bad the decision Chara made was.

When I stated it was worthy of nothing short of a season suspension, I based that on the penalty for interference in conjuction with the injury, which in max's case is far more serious than Malkins.

Not even Apples to Oranges to me, more like Fruits to Grains. But I understand what you are saying and yes, I as I said, I do agree with you, there will be broad interpretation. I also feel since the game is reverting back to the pre lockout way of game play it's actually hurting the game itself.

I completely agree that there will be a broad interpretation. But then again, as was stated earlier, there was no penalty on the Myers play as the puck was right next to the players. I think you failed to acknowledge that the puck was 15 to 20 feet up the ice before Chara even initiated the hit on Max. These are not subtle differences, the penalty call is more than just an indication of just how bad the decision Chara made was.

When I stated it was worthy of nothing short of a season suspension, I based that on the penalty for interference in conjuction with the injury, which in max's case is far more serious than Malkins.

Not even Apples to Oranges to me, more like Fruits to Grains. But I understand what you are saying and yes, I as I said, I do agree with you, there will be broad interpretation. I also feel since the game is reverting back to the pre lockout way of game play it's actually hurting the game itself.

And I'm not trying to pick on anyone here....I'm just trying to show where this can go.

I am not a fan of Bettman. In fact, his promotion of the sunbelt over securing Canada is going to cost this league dearly. But it is in the best interest of the future of the league for him to handle this the way he has. If his neck wasn't broken, they probably would have suspended Chara. Sounds counterintuitive, but the threat of health issues on this almost forces them to say "hockey play", in order to ward off the lawyers, etc. Once you invite the boogeyman into your home, watch out.

Chara has to go out there every night. If players have lost respect for him in any great amount, he has to deal with it.

I am serious.

The point of your post is hyperbole. Nothing more.

Initial contact was shoulder on shoulder. Both players lost balance. One fell on the others leg. Typically I find your posts interesting and compelling for their POV. This isn't one of them. You are reaching badly to make your point and need to find a different example. The Montador hit from behind was a better choice.

Archived