The Chara incident

X. Benedict

Apparently Bettman is standing behind the decision:

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says Max Pacioretty's injury is horrific, but it's part of the game.

Speaking after a U.S. congressional panel discussion about encouraging American kids to get into hockey, Bettman said most concussions and head injuries this year have been from accidents or players falling -- rather than as the result of hits.

As for Air Canada threatening to pull its sponsorship over such injuries, Bettman says the league can find other carriers if Air Canada doesn't want the NHL's business."

- Look some people have disagreed with me about stuff but Bettman is making this worse for Hockey in general. Air Canada is a sponsor and they have never spoken out on hits before have they? This is getting serious fast, police, sponsers pulling out, this is bad for hockey and its making the league look negligent. I do not want hockey to become like basketball where if you breath on the other guy its a foul, but if you are making an illegal play and someone gets hurt you should be suspended, Hell if they gave Chara 3 days this would not be issue. Bettman failed, he should have known he had to suspend Chara and he dropped the ball.

- I feel bad for Pacioretty most of all because the poor kid is in a hospital room and he learned that the NHL doesn't care enough about him to even slap chara on the wrist with a fine... This is a bad day for hockey fans because the league looks like a bunch of idiots and who wants to sponsor or watch a sport that can't even figure out whats appropriate on ice play and what has crossed the line. There will be fallout from that hit for awhile. Maybe in the end some good will come from this but if Myers or Weber had done it, I honestly want to say I hope they would be suspended because they should know better.

- Final thought here, Chara is good no question and I do not think he meant to put pacioretty into the partition. That being said, I feel like a lot of the other hits that get unpunished are intentional and are there more thugs cuz the league has too many teams or are there more thugs because they are allowed to play and rarely get things like 10 game suspensions. This is a sad day for hockey and again I hope pacioretty makes a full recovery because he is the only innocent person involved in this.

As some one else once pointed out:

If I'm driving my car, make a right on red without looking what is coming trafic wise and crash and seriously injure someone I can say I didn't intend to do that.

Doesnt mean I'm not criminally negligent or liable.

as one of the people who's been making that point (and taro's been making a similar one), i'll say this: there's a significant difference between the sentence you may receive for criminally negligent homicide and an intentional homicide (second degree in most jurisdictions). the former may get you a relative "slap on the wrist", whereas the latter may get you a life sentence. sticking with the metaphor, i would've given chara 3-5 games, not the balance of the season and playoffs.

as one of the people who's been making that point (and taro's been making a similar one), i'll say this: there's a significant difference between the sentence you may receive for criminally negligent homicide and an intentional homicide (second degree in most jurisdictions). the former may get you a relative "slap on the wrist", whereas the latter may get you a life sentence. sticking with the metaphor, i would've given chara 3-5 games, not the balance of the season and playoffs.

No where in my post does it state homicide, I was merely pointing to injuring. But I get the jist of the post.

I also understand the 3 5o 5 game suspension, but that is an NHL internal disciplanary issue, the criminal matter has nothing to do with whether Chara plays a game or not in the larger picture of things.

But once again, I do understand what your stating.

Not related, but also is...

Three games for Kubina's hit on Bolland.

How does this relate to Chara's play?

Kubina's hit was a clear headshot and he deserves a suspension. However, he could argue (well not really but for discussions sake) it wasn't intentional like Chara did, but it's still in the rulebook. So why is that different than Chara almost killing somebody on a penalty also in the rule book and claiming he didn't mean to? Chara should have gotten at least the same suspension in my opinion.

on the flipside tho, the Chara play was essentially a fluke that you don't see happen often. Kubina's hit is pretty much black and white what the NHL has been trying to crack down on this year

Kubina's hit was a clear headshot and he deserves a suspension. However, he could argue (well not really but for discussions sake) it wasn't intentional like Chara did, but it's still in the rulebook. So why is that different than Chara almost killing somebody on a penalty also in the rule book and claiming he didn't mean to? Chara should have gotten at least the same suspension in my opinion.

on the flipside tho, the Chara play was essentially a fluke that you don't see happen often. Kubina's hit is pretty much black and white what the NHL has been trying to crack down on this year

It doesn't happen often because most players are decent enough human beings who don't try to kill their opponents.

Chara chimes in with the "No, seriously, I'm not evil, just insanely stupid" defense.

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

I have no idea what that is, but it's marvelous.

Priceless.

Can Chewbacca play center?

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Air Canada, one of the NHL's largest financial corporate backers, is threatening to withdraw its sponsorship if the league doesn't take "immediate" and "serious" action on headshots, QMI Agency has learned.

In a strongly worded letter addressed to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Wednesday, Denis Vandal, Air Canada's director of marketing/communications, expressed concern over recent incidents of headshots and concussions.

The letter came in the wake of Tuesday night's controversial hit by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty at the Bell Centre. Following a telephone hearing Wednesday with NHL VP Mike Murphy, there was no punishment for Chara.

"We are contacting you (Wednesday) to voice our concern over (Tuesday night's) incident involving Max Pacioretty and Zdeno Chara at the Bell Centre in Montreal," wrote Vandal. "This is following several other incidents involving career-threatening and life-threatening headshots in the NHL recently."

Vandal noted the controversial issue is becoming bad for Air Canada's brand.

"From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2011/03/09/17558356.html

im surprised nobody has posted this yet, at least i couldnt find it

im still shaking my head at the decision to NOT punish chara. for some indecipherable reason the NHL has been mind bottlingly inconsistent in handling these incidents. you can shove a guy ten feet from the boards and if he happens to fall awkwardly and get unfortunately injured you are virtually sure to sit a game or two - sometimes without even drawing a penalty. but unintentionally or not chara rides a guy into the turnbuckle LITERALLY breaking his neck and ... nuthin

i dont blame air canada one bit. after a brief golden age of skill based hockey following the lockout, the nhl has allowed goonery to return to the game and havent shown the backbone to be consistent about holding players accountable for other players injured as a result. many of the fans may like wwf on skates but its going to result in more and more injuries like this and sponsors are going to understandably be skittish about having their name associated with a game that doesnt seem to be serious or consistent about protecting its players

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/As-police-probe-looms-opinion-sours-on-Zdeno-Ch;_ylt=AraSItb3LR1tpbOl2_mI7.d7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp27 I might have missed this but it gives the picture of what other players feel and Also I never realized how the players actively note that they are aware of the partition... its going to get ugly... Boston should sit Chara just to say look we dont want this attention or craziness so Chara is going to take a night off because hes been criticized enough.

Neither one got suspended.

And if you listen to the commentary..."It's just one of those things"...."Unless a guy is cruel beyond belief"...."It just happened at that spot"....

If you took a still picture of Johnson on Smyth, it would look like he was driving his head into the turnbuckle with his elbow.

The Avs went after him as they should have, but to say any of these guys wanted to knock someone unconcious.......

Archived