The Chara incident

X. Benedict

I find it funny that a lot of the same people that are so horrified by this hit will stand up and cheer two guys bashing each other in the face.

The difference is, the two guys bashing in each others faces are almost always doing it willingly. I HATE watching fights where one guy goes after another that isn't interested in the fight (unless the other guy really has it coming of course :o )

Just a little side note, not sure what it means, but I played in an open hockey game last night and not a single person thought that Chara should have been suspended.

I don't think it means a thing. It certainly doesn't mean that guys who actually played the game think differently about it. I played for over 20 years and think it was an intentional, disgusting play. And NHL'ers are starting to be heard saying the same.

How often is anyone seriously hurt in a hockey fight?

More often than someone getting hurt as a result of hitting the stantion.

When I watch a Sabre fight someone, I'm more worried about them being embarrassed than I am about them being hurt because, realistically, that's the more plausible of the two negative outcomes.

:lol:

I don't think it means a thing. It certainly doesn't mean that guys who actually played the game think differently about it. I played for over 20 years and think it was an intentional, disgusting play. And NHL'ers are starting to be heard saying the same.

Three. Three NHLers have spoken out. That's a whole lot more that have made their statement with their silence.

Dang it. I got sucked back in.

Three. Three NHLers have spoken out. That's a whole lot more that have made their statement with their silence.

What is their statement though? Cops keep quiet when a fellow cop does wrong too. Just sayin'..

Dang it. I got sucked back in.

[Nelson Muntz voice]

HA HA !!!

[/Nelson Muntz voice]

"Our hockey operations people are extraordinarily comfortable with the decision...." --G. Bettman.

Extraordinarily comfortable? More comfortable that usual? Weird.

Also, I've now seen Bettman's comments regarding Air Canada in video form (on the front page of TSN) and wow, does he come off like an arrogant prick.

Good for Bettman. He shouldn't allow Air Canada to push him around over this. Air Canada needs the NHL much more then NHL needs Air Canada. With the money at stake, they could easily replace the airliner. Air Canada makes BANK and gets major hook ups in the NHL for being such a long sponsor. Air Canada is doing so much noise right now because WE ARE ALL talking about them and it's major free advertising for them.

Umberger ran Doughty into the turnbuckle tonight. Let's see all those RJ Umberger is criminal and should be suspended posts.

Shockingly there is very little on this hit. Hopefully someone can post the youtube vid of it, which isnt up yet, by tomorrow morning to see if it compares to Chara. If they suspend umberger because of the hit... gigantic sh*t storm!

Shockingly there is very little on this hit. Hopefully someone can post the youtube vid of it, which isnt up yet, by tomorrow morning to see if it compares to Chara. If they suspend umberger because of the hit... gigantic sh*t storm!

having not seen the hit yet, i think it's safe to they won't. we've already seen three occasions in this thread where the same situation wasn't suspended. i don't think they're going to change it two days after they decide the worst one wasn't worthy of a suspension.

I'm sure it will get some play only because of the hit in Montreal. Just fuel for the fire for those that choose to overreact.

I don't think it was a majority either but it was enough people that it was really unnerving. They just saw some teenager suffer a serious head injury about 6000 miles from home and they were deliriously happy about it. It was like they'd won something. They were so satisfied with what they were seeing.

It basically ruined the rest of the game for me even though I liked watching Foligno play well and wanted Canada to win. I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of sociopaths who were there for much different reasons than I was.

Yeah you're right. We Canadians are sociopaths hellbent on destruction. Not. Give your head a shake. Sure there was cheering for what amounts to a good open ice hit that unfortunately in this case left a player hurt but following the hit the crowd noise definately tapers off to what I would consider normal under the circumstances. I've watched a hell of a lot of hockey in my life and the crowds at a typical N.F.L. game make hockey fans look like sissys in most citys. Give your head a shake. Its quite ironic that a few Americans on this forum play this up to look like Canadians are savages at the gates when American society as a whole is inundated with gratuitous violence everywhere. On t.v.,in the movies,on video games and where the lowest common denominator in all aspects of entertainment seems to rule the ratings and feeds the hunger of the population but show a nipple and it better be blurred out or there'll be a congressional hearing. I'm sorry some loser Canadians ruined your hockey viewing pleasure but if you want golf stay home. I'm sure its on one of the channels thats not playing Jersey Shore.

Yeah you're right. We Canadians are sociopaths hellbent on destruction. Not. Give your head a shake. Sure there was cheering for what amounts to a good open ice hit that unfortunately in this case left a player hurt but following the hit the crowd noise definately tapers off to what I would consider normal under the circumstances. I've watched a hell of a lot of hockey in my life and the crowds at a typical N.F.L. game make hockey fans look like sissys in most citys. Give your head a shake. Its quite ironic that a few Americans on this forum play this up to look like Canadians are savages at the gates when American society as a whole is inundated with gratuitous violence everywhere. On t.v.,in the movies,on video games and where the lowest common denominator in all aspects of entertainment seems to rule the ratings and feeds the hunger of the population but show a nipple and it better be blurred out or there'll be a congressional hearing. I'm sorry some loser Canadians ruined your hockey viewing pleasure but if you want golf stay home. I'm sure its on one of the channels thats not playing Jersey Shore.

LOL, the fury over Janet's nipple was ridiculous.........It wasn't even a top notch nipple........ :bag:

I work in the motorsports industry, and we witness the same subset of fans with regards to crashes. Everyone will tell you that they hate to see them, but me, and a lot of other track operators, are convinced that danger, or just the thought of danger, sells tickets. People actually do die in my business. This past summer we had a fatality at our place, guy on a motorcycle. Worst day of my life. We take every precaution in regards to safety for our drivers, but you know, the guardrail was there, and he got tangled up in it.

There is a sigh of relief when a driver walks away from a crash. But when they don't, there is a sort of hushed "I was there...I saw it" kind of excitement in the crowd. It's hard to explain, but it's there.

I realize that a hockey game is different from a drag race. You don't see a car in the right lane INTENTIONALLY cross over and ram the car in the left lane into the wall/guardrail. I believe Chara knew exactly what he was doing. I also believe that a lot of fans of any sport attend events not only for the game/event itself, but also for the possibility that they may see some sort of incident. I think it's human nature...remember the Romans? They packed those coliseums just waiting to see some blood. And they cheered. We are much more civilized as humans now, but there is still a little bit inside of some of us that waits for this kind of thing.

Rubberneckers the lot of them.

I still think that was a clean hit (and I'm not being a homer; anyone can refer to my posts last year regarding Kassian's suspension, if they doubt it), but your point is the crowd, and you're right, it's classless.

But before we become too proud, two words: Campbell, Umberger. I'll admit that I was cheering that hit for longer than necessary.

It's a lot different when it's your team and the evil Flyers, isn't it?

And I don't remember anyone on this forum who complained about the Campbell soup t-shirts being sold after the fact that glorified the hit. You remember them? They said umberger soup on a Campbell soup can. I loved that hit but the fact that it knocked a guy unconcious never gave me a thrill. You always feel for the guy on the recieving end of one of those hits. Same on a T.K.O. in a good hockey scrap. But you still cheer initially if its your boy that won the fight.

And I don't remember anyone on this forum who complained about the Campbell soup t-shirts being sold after the fact that glorified the hit. You remember them? They said umberger soup on a Campbell soup can. I loved that hit but the fact that it knocked a guy unconcious never gave me a thrill. You always feel for the guy on the recieving end of one of those hits. Same on a T.K.O. in a good hockey scrap. But you still cheer initially if its your boy that won the fight.

:clapping:

Here ya go..looks like a "hockey play" to me...this one does look unfortunate

You've got your panties in a wad over how non-Canadians reacted to the bloodlust when you should be upset with the subset of your countrymen who did act like savages. How can you criticize someone who is merely voicing that he felt uncomfortable with his surroundings when so much crass behavior was happening? Your anger is misdirected here.

Just sayin'....

I was at that game too. It wasn't the cheering over the hit that was bothersome. It was the profusion of commentary directed at the kid laying motionless on the ice. And there was alot of it. If you weren't there, you have no idea what was going on in that crowd.

I have to admit, I had no problem with that, but only because RJ was back the next game, and never missed time because of it. Now, had he been knocked out for several games or weeks, I probably would agree there was no place for it.

Secondly, he was a Flyer :nana:

Umberger ran Doughty into the turnbuckle tonight. Let's see all those RJ Umberger is criminal and should be suspended posts.

Well, after a challenge like that I think I HAVE to respond. :D

#1. Legal hit because Doughty had the puck when the check was initiated.

#2. It looked to me like Umberger was trying to check Doughty into the bench, not ride him into the stantion.

#3 I don't hide from the bias I may or may not hold towards all things Boston. I don't have the emotional budget to get worked up over something a Columbus player does. :P

Either way, its a very dangerous play given the proximity to the stantion. After what happened to Pach you'd think players would be more aware of the risk of throwing a check at the end of the bench, at least short term.

The big difference to me is that it looked like Umb was trying to put Doughty into the bench whereas Chara looked to be riding Pach into the stantion. AND the Umb hit was a legal hit, not a late hit.

Also I did not see Umberger raise his arms and direct Doughtys head into the stanchion. When I first saw the Chara check I did not have a problem with it but then I noticed how high his hands came up and steered his head into the stanchion. That was the difference for me.

Well, after a challenge like that I think I HAVE to respond. :D

#1. Legal hit because Doughty had the puck when the check was initiated.

#2. It looked to me like Umberger was trying to check Doughty into the bench, not ride him into the stantion.

#3 I don't hide from the bias I may or may not hold towards all things Boston. I don't have the emotional budget to get worked up over something a Columbus player does. :P

Either way, its a very dangerous play given the proximity to the stantion. After what happened to Pach you'd think players would be more aware of the risk of throwing a check at the end of the bench, at least short term.

The big difference to me is that it looked like Umb was trying to put Doughty into the bench whereas Chara looked to be riding Pach into the stantion. AND the Umb hit was a legal hit, not a late hit.

What he said.

You've got your panties in a wad over how non-Canadians reacted to the bloodlust when you should be upset with the subset of your countrymen who did act like savages. How can you criticize someone who is merely voicing that he felt uncomfortable with his surroundings when so much crass behavior was happening? Your anger is misdirected here.

Just sayin'....

I was at that game too. It wasn't the cheering over the hit that was bothersome. It was the profusion of commentary directed at the kid laying motionless on the ice. And there was alot of it. If you weren't there, you have no idea what was going on in that crowd.

I'm glad we've all come to our senses and you've said 'a subset of my countrymen' and I said 'a few Americans'. When the games occured I was one of a few Canadians on this site that were outspoken about the poor behaviour of my fellow countrymen. Their behaviour wasn't what my post was about. My post was about the reaction to it which was clearly over the top considering the violence that seems absolutely woven into the very fabric of your society. Like it or not you are the modern day Rome and there is a certain amount of bloodlust that needs to be sated. I'm surprised you never noticed. Oh and Weave, I don't wear panties.

Just sayin'....

I'm glad we've all come to our senses and you've said 'a subset of my countrymen' and I said 'a few Americans'. When the games occured I was one of a few Canadians on this site that were outspoken about the poor behaviour of my fellow countrymen. Their behaviour wasn't what my post was about. My post was about the reaction to it which was clearly over the top considering the violence that seems absolutely woven into the very fabric of your society. Like it or not you are the modern day Rome and there is a certain amount of bloodlust that needs to be sated. I'm surprised you never noticed. Oh and Weave, I don't wear panties.

Just sayin'....

The post that you quoted and responded to didn't have any blanket statements about your countrymen that I recall. He did say he was uncomfortable being in the arena crowd given the reaction to the hit. It wasn't a shot at everyone in the arena wearing a Canadian flag. You just took it that way.

So...... commando? NM, I don't really want to know. :wacko:

Archived