Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

I'm having a good night. I posted about 5 good one liners.

I think I should jump on the medical bandwagon like they did with Campbell for veins and sweating. See if Miller will endorse my Colonoscopy Clinic. I'll have his catch line be, "When something soft going through me doesn't hurt anyone else"

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. :clapping: :thumbsup: :worthy: :w00t:

Didn't get to see the game. All I can say is dammit, why the F did Carolina end up with a three point lead.

I guess the papers (most likely, the web equivalent) will tell me the answer.

I'm going to miss seeing Saturday's game, too. I'm not happy about that.

Didn't get to see the game. All I can say is dammit, why the F did Carolina end up with a three point lead.

I guess the papers (most likely, the web equivalent) will tell me the answer.

I'm going to miss seeing Saturday's game, too. I'm not happy about that.

Miller much less than stellar game, putrid PP, Vanek missing wide open net come to mind. This is one we gave away.

It all depends on how you view the GWG...

I saw the end of the 2nd till the finish

I thought Miller played well for the most part, I saw the goal he gave up (goal #1) and thought that he was just over committing.

Same for the 2nd goal...Miller looked stupid just diving around there.

Our Powerplay was horrible.

One thing this team needs to do is shoot! We did not shoot nearly as much as we should have despite having about 30 shots...a few times we stood there looking for a pretty pass.

If you get the puck to the net, crazy things happen.

Our D was mediocre for the most part.

Good plays to keep Carolina a many one and dones, but when they were in there, we def. saw it.

We got 3 more times with the Canes, 3 games in hand on NYR and 2 on Car...we control our own fate.

Well, that was a great hockey game with a bummer of an ending.

One issue that has plagued the Sabres all year is following up a goal with a couple of shifts in which they allow the other team's forecheck to dominate them in the defensive zone, resulting in either a penalty or a goal surrendered.

Vanek: zero shots on goal for the 2nd game in a row, and a minus-2 in the bargain. It must be Lindy holding him back again.

Fortunately both the Rangers and Thrashers lost, and maybe if we're lucky the Flyers will still be missing some bodies:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=554958

The good news is the Flyers have lost to some really bad teams lately, and aren't clicking well at all.

Just don't see it mattering down the stretch anyways, this team just doesn't perform well enough in the big games.

What about the other goalies in the league that play as many games as he does? Are they better? Do they get more sleep? I just don't think the playing him into the ground theory should be used to cover that he isn't the superstar we have bought into him being.

Miller doesn't have the constitution or stamina of a Martin Brodeur, who has more of a compact, muscular physique. The tall and thin can't handle this kind of grind. He's had no backup all year and now it's catching up to him. He may also be playing hurt, for all we know.

I thought the Sabres dominated the second period with most of the play in canes zone except for the 2 goals both on screw ups by the TEAM. PP cost us on this one and should have had a 5 - 3 PP at end TC was pulled down on a nice break. We had a nice view from section 106 of the Miller misplay you could see that goal coming the minute the misplay occurred. We are now down 2 with 3 on rangers and down 3 with 2 in hand on Canes. Leafs one so they are getting closer but we have 2 in hand on them. A win would have been big but 3 - 4 points in these two isnt bad. Big weekend ahead. Claude cant wait to hear your story

Boyes is the only one who showed up tonight. I absolutely agree with the top line of the pp for him. I think lindy will realize that after tonight. Mix up the pp lines it wont hurt. Put kaleta on the damn pp, do something :wallbash:

Boyes

Myers

Stafford

Sekera

Weber

Hecht

All had very good games tonight

Miller

Vanek (how do you miss that open net)

Pommenville

Not so much. They played a great offensive game and the D did a great job limiting chances. Too bad Miller could not have been on the same page as rest of the team. Bottom line, 3 games in hand to get 2 points and 2 games in hand to get 3. Play Enroth on Saturday and pray for a win while Miller gets back to form for Sunday.

Just looks like he is the opposite of fresh. It's not his fault, it's Lindy's chronic goalie mismanagement...he's playing him into the ground.

That's what I was thinking even before the game.

What about the other goalies in the league that play as many games as he does? Are they better? Do they get more sleep? I just don't think the playing him into the ground theory should be used to cover that he isn't the superstar we have bought into him being.

Fair point, however I remember after the Islander game Miller being allowed to stay home rest and practice while enroth took the Montreal game and he(Miller) did come back with some of his best play of the season for half dozen games. I think there is something to be said about rest and practice especially when other teams are scouting your tendencies and designing plays to take advantage of them. Ray said as much about the canes practicing that one play all morning that netted one of their goals. My pet peeve is Lindy promised after that Islander debacle he and Miller worked out a rotation for the rest of the season. I assume it went something like this Hey Ryan you will let me know if you need a break, right?

All and all an entertaining game however these last two games are not playoff caliber hockey. The number of mistakes and misplays and the fancy pants game will bring this playoff march to a crashing end. After watching several Philly games recently I expect that to happen Saturday unless Philly comes and lays an egg.

This is the time of year to be honing your teams system and ensuring everyone is playing sound defensive hockey starting in your own zone and then making the most of your chances at the other end of the ice. It's too bad I see a team still several players away from that team.

I am still rooting and hoping for them to make the playoff's even if it is an 8th seed so some of the kids on this team can get some playoff seasoning and the owner gets to see first hand the players that have no buisness coming back next year.

Miller doesn't have the constitution or stamina of a Martin Brodeur, who has more of a compact, muscular physique. The tall and thin can't handle this kind of grind. He's had no backup all year and now it's catching up to him. He may also be playing hurt, for all we know.

Nah....Miller let in two goals caught out. Those are never pretty. If you are caught out, it always looks embarrassing. He was solid otherwise.

The OT goal I put on the D. Nice screen by Cole on Miller and a crap job by whoever was high on McBain (who had crap night otherwise). Basically created a double screen for the point shot.

That should have been a win. but...

Nah....Miller let in two goals caught out. Those are never pretty. If you are caught out, it always looks embarrassing. He was solid otherwise.

The OT goal I put on the D. Nice screen by Cole on Miller and a crap job by whoever was high on McBain (who had crap night otherwise). Basically created a double screen for the point shot.

That should have been a win. but...

Are you Ryan Miller? Seriously. The mumbo jumbo smoke screen explanation.

"Elite" goalies can't be solid "otherwise" in big games.

Are you Ryan Miller? Seriously. The mumbo jumbo smoke screen explanation.

"Elite" goalies can't be solid "otherwise" in big games.

Did you miss the caught out of the crease part?

The issue wasn't physical stamina or technical flaws. That was my point. Those were gaffs.

What type of argument are you looking for exactly?

Either way, the last goal was crappy play by the skaters.

Boyes

Myers

Stafford

Sekera

Weber

Hecht

All had very good games tonight

Miller

Vanek (how do you miss that open net)

Pommenville

Not so much. They played a great offensive game and the D did a great job limiting chances. Too bad Miller could not have been on the same page as rest of the team. Bottom line, 3 games in hand to get 2 points and 2 games in hand to get 3. Play Enroth on Saturday and pray for a win while Miller gets back to form for Sunday.

I'd also toss Ennis in the 'had very good games category'. To be fair, I'll throw the Tin Man in the 'not so much' column.

Miller did screw the pooch on the first 2 goals, especially that second one.

By the way, did anyone else catch Miller on the dump around the boards that "DIDN'T" get the puck out of the zone just prior to the second goal.

He can't handle the puck to save his life. But he wasn't the reason the Sabres lost this game. He played good enough, so did the team, to win this game.

It comes back to "FINISHING".

Vanek misses on an open net after splitting the D and putting the goalie down, slides it through the crease instead of in the net.

The Power Play was horrible, just horrible. Butler does not need to be on the power play at all.

Not enough movement from the skilled guys to get to the front of the net, it looks like Lindy has both units playing "behind the net" on the power play, that won't work for this group and it's a large reason why they don't score often enough in my opinion.

Getting tired of the drop passes in the nuetral zone, everyone stops at the blueline then it's a dump in 90% of the time and they can't get control of the puck, just another horrible coaching philosophy in my opinion. This doesn't mean Lindy is a horrible coach, but he needs to find another strategy.

Getting tired of the drop passes in the nuetral zone, everyone stops at the blueline then it's a dump in 90% of the time and they can't get control of the puck, just another horrible coaching philosophy in my opinion. This doesn't mean Lindy is a horrible coach, but he needs to find another strategy.

That's indicative of the center-less brand of hockey they are playing.

Those drops are to try to gain entries. So weak through the middle.

The issue wasn't physical stamina or technical flaws. That was my point. Those were gaffs.

Sekara carried into canes zone than dumps it behind net :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: I liked the play of Ennis all night and had some chances for Drew and Vanek. Would have been nice to get a regulation wins on the rednecks but still 2 remaining with them, 2 in hand and 3 back.

Sekara carried into canes zone than dumps it behind net :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: I liked the play of Ennis all night and had some chances for Drew and Vanek. Would have been nice to get a regulation wins on the rednecks but still 2 remaining with them, 2 in hand and 3 back.

For the most part that was a solid road game. They carried most of the play.

Crappy result.

It happens.

On the first goal Miller got beat off the post on the short side, then for no good reason pushed himself a third of the way into the corner, leaving the net open. On the second goal, he got back into the crease in more than enough time to make the save, but spun himself around for no good reason, leaving the net open. The overtime goal is yet another example of a long shot leaking through Miller in crunch time. Of course, there's always a tip or a screen for his defenders to point out.

The first two were awful plays in the game of the season with his team in the lead. Shades of the Bruins series.

That's indicative of the center-less brand of hockey they are playing.

Those drops are to try to gain entries. So weak through the middle.

Completely agree with this thought on the center position.

It is ashame pricing was jacked up so high at the deadline, but I happen to agree with what Regier did by not over paying at this time of year.

It will have to be addressed either via a trade on Draft Day or move up high enough in the Draft to get an NHL ready center or through a trade in the off season. I just don't see any Free Agent center's being available come July 1st.

Brad Richards? Sure, that would be fantastic, but as many other's have pointed out, he's going to want his retirement contract this time around and I'm of the belief that would be a mistake.

But, there is nothing that can be done this last month in a half of the regular season but call up from Portland.

The only center I see in Portland currently that has a shot is Luke Adam and after viewing him earlier this season, he isn't ready for the NHL yet in my opinion.

Frustrating? Sort of, but even if we don't make the playoffs this season, I am very happy Boyes is here from St. Louis. That was a steal by Darcy. Risky, but it's paying off so far, and only for a 2nd round pick.

One thing is for sure, Pominville, Stafford and Boyes on Right Wing now. Do we see Pominville or Stafford moved in the off season?

I have to believe that yes, one of Pomer's or Stafford are gone in the off season in a trade to bring in a center, and given Pominville's contract, I believe Stafford is the one leaving.

Who would Darcy target as a center? I would look to Pavelski or Clouter (more likely Pavelski) from San Jose in a trade.

Just my opinion on the situation.

Archived