Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Unless you have access to a camera viewing angle that mimicks Millers' sightline you cannot say that it is plain as day that he saw it. There were 3 bodies between Miller and the shooter. From the camera angles I saw it is very conceiveable that Miller's view of the shooter was obstructed. We don't have access to Miller's perspective on that shot.

I don't know if Miller saw the shot so i'm not in any hurry to lay judgement on that particular play.

At NHL.com on canes vision, the video they have is a camera angle from the same side of the ice the puck was on and it was almost a straight on view of Millers front. You can see plain as day Sekera and Stall were not in his way. Maybe the high sabre right in front of the shooter was in his way but Sekera and Stall were not. Miller flat out got beat by that shot. He needs to stop that.

At NHL.com on canes vision, the video they have is a camera angle from the same side of the ice the puck was on and it was almost a straight on view of Millers front. You can see plain as day Sekera and Stall were not in his way. Maybe the high sabre right in front of the shooter was in his way but Sekera and Stall were not. Miller flat out got beat by that shot. He needs to stop that.

Link?

I guess there was no irony, Weave.

See if this works http://video.hurrica...id=-6&id=101078

Sekera even watched the puck go right by him then by Miller. So how did Miller not see it?

Cool video. Thanks for the link. Kind of inconclusive.

But excellent shots of Vanek's opp -- a lot tougher chance than many make it out to be as he had to finagle around Ward's stick on his backhand and quickly turn it to the net -- and Morrisonn's save on the second goal. He has a real knack for doing stuff like that. Something to like about Shaone, anyway.

See if this works http://video.hurricanes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-6&id=101078

Sekera even watched the puck go right by him then by Miller. So how did Miller not see it?

Thanks. He probably saw it late.

It looks like that was Vanek high on the shooter. (Which is my primary issue, I thought it was Sekera)(see why Vanek doesn't kill penalties :) )

No way does Miller see that coming off the stick. Just didn't have time to react.

Thanks. He probably saw it late.

It looks like that was Vanek high on the shooter. (Which is my primary issue, I thought it was Sekera)(see why Vanek doesn't kill penalties :) )

No way does Miller see that coming off the stick. Just didn't have time to react.

Seriously?? That is an awful goal. He was down too early and he missed it. Plain and simple. His fault! I'm so tired of everyone kissing Miller's butt. Bad goal. Bad, bad goal.

Very insecure. He's been tossing his teammates under the bus for a while now.

I wonder how many guys actually like him on this team? I'd get sick and tired if he was always throwing me or my mates under the bus. He makes it seem like he has the hardest job in the world and the skaters jobs are easy??? Trade him in the off season I say.

My few takeaways from last night:

Shakira played a good game offensively, but not so much defensively. He should of been on LaRose and should have had better positioning on the OT goal so not to screen Miller.

The drop pass. They can make this work against some teams, others they need to just abandon it. It seemed to work best against the Canes with the drop pass more to the side getting picked up by the streaking winger (see Ennis goalpost).

Many a time last night I thought they would make the smarter play, Sekera late, shoot the puck! but they didn't.

Shots. Everyone on the team had at least one shot on goal. Except Vanek and Myers. These two needed to get those shots. I'd imagine Vanek's ankle messes up the aim a bit, but he needed the puck more last night.

Another guy who needed the puck more was Ennis. LR should have given that line more shifts. Boyes-Connolly-Ennis was great last night.

PP. Fix this and we win A LOT more. Here is where we miss Leopold.

For the shots, everytime we take a shot, we have a chance to get a puck in the net!

and the Powerplay was trying to make the pretty pass/shot combo. If everytime we shot from the point, then we'd have more chances to score. Tyler Myers has to shoot more, I like that he is passing to the halfboards to get the puck closer, but shoot when you have the chance!

I agree that people on this board are covering for Miller when he F's up. Why he was spinning like a top on the 2nd goal is beyond me. He could have laid out flat and been better off. I only saw the highlights and he was not good on the 2nd or 3rd goal. He's been better lately but he has to shoulder the blame on those goals.

Thankfully the Rangers lost again and we are within striking distance of them too.

Hockey is a game of mistakes, but when a goalie is making them, you can't win. Miller needs to do his job and not allow goals like last night. If he does that, we should be in good shape. But let's stop covering up for the dude. He F'd up on two goals and we lost a valuable point.

Yeah, a goalie will take the blame sometimes, but also will deflect to the defensemen...Miller is having an awkward year.

Last night was a bad night for him and it cost us a point.

I'm of two minds about it. The fisrt two were fluky brain farty goals which we haven't seen too much of...so I'm not too worried about it. But they are not beyond criticism.

I think however, if you give up only 2 goals in regulation....that's what the baseball statistician would call a quality start. They should have won.

I'm of the mind it should have been a 3-2 win. Not necessarily a 2-1 win. :beer:

Although 2goals/runs/points in baseball is good, not necc in hockey.

One shot in hockey can make it a tie game or two point lead which is huge and comparing it to baseball could be skewed, but the point being made nonetheless, I understand.

3-2 win at least, if you want to count the one OT goal, but more like 6-2 with our chances

This sounds almost polemical: "The didn't' see it crowd."

A goaltender is not out there alone. He's talking to the D all the time. Together they are like dance partners. One thing I like about Butler defending is that he decides early whether to contest a shot or move inside to let Miller see it. The worst thing is to not decide at all...like Sekera last night. He got caught. Cole was in front too. Double screen.

1. Goaltenders are working with their defensemen.

2. Half of the defense's job is to help your goalie see shots.

These last two points are independent of any opinions about Miller, but they can certainly help inform any opinions.

You're right on the two points.

Goalies do work w/ the D and half the D's job is to make sure shots are seen, but also to clear the D out of the way...sometimes that goes hand in and hand and works against. Lets say Sekera wasnt in the way, there's a pass and goal, or tipped shot...but with him in the way, he clears the opponent out, but in turn the shot is taken with our own man as the screen.

He saw it, just too late. FTR I'm not sticking up for his game last night. He made big mistakes. The biggest was overcommitment.

I think we all can agree on this.

He seems to be trying too hard now.

Does the puck deflect slightly off of Montador's stick?

No, I don't think so. I think Miller just got beat.

If Buffalo has any ideas of making the playoffs he needs to be a lot better than that. The team stepped up and played very good in front of him in Carolina, he let them down and he lost a big point, worse yet he allowed Carolina to get 2 points.

Once again he passed the buck and blamed others for his shortfalls, that is just one of the reasons why I don't like the guy.

No, I don't think so. I think Miller just got beat.

If Buffalo has any ideas of making the playoffs he needs to be a lot better than that. The team stepped up and played very good in front of him in Carolina, he let them down and he lost a big point, worse yet he allowed Carolina to get 2 points.

Once again he passed the buck and blamed others for his shortfalls, that is just one of the reasons why I don't like the guy.

The Sabres did for the most part did carry the play, but the equal story to Miller's gaffe(s) is 0/6 on the PP. That game in NOT solely on Miller.

Re-cap of game experience. No behavior cards at swanky Presidents club entrance. They toned down the scoreboard nonsense too, the only thing I saw was the drunk Jim Kelly clip saying "let's go canes". Had an issue with some Canes fans when I cheered a nice body check by the Sabres along the boards. My friends and I were standing in the common area directly behind the last row of seats. Here is the exchange that followed, that they initiated by the way..

Them: Do you live here?

Me: Yes

Them: are you a season ticket holder?

Me: No, why would I be as a Sabres fan?

Them: But you live HERE, you should support the team. Why do you only come here when the Sabres play?

Me: Again I'm a Sabres fan, that's why I come. Would you become and Av's fan if you moved to Denver tomorrow?

Them: Umm, ahhh, ummm. Well YES!!

Me: Ok, so a difference of philosophy. I'm not a team swapping ######.

That pretty much ended the exchange for a few minutes. The next thing I know a security guard taps me on the shoulder and says I'm bothering the fans in front of us, and I need to move to stand behind some empty seats. Apparently, by saying that I'm not a team swapping ###### I implied that this guys wife is an actual ######. <_< Those sneaky Canes fans and their embellishments! So I just moved. Well my friend that got the tickets (a canes fan) went through the roof. He grabbed the security guard and told him that he paid for these tickets and that entitles us to stand wherever we want in the club. He was really laying into him and to be honest I'm surprised we didn't all get kicked out for it. But he was wearing a Canes jacket so the guard was just saying "yes, sir. yes, sir. yes, sir"

Overall though a tame game experience, but we are still perceived as marauding monsters.

The Sabres did for the most part did carry the play, but the equal story to Miller's gaffe(s) is 0/6 on the PP. That game in NOT solely on Miller.

Re-cap of game experience. No behavior cards at swanky Presidents club entrance. They toned down the scoreboard nonsense too, the only thing I saw was the drunk Jim Kelly clip saying "let's go canes". Had an issue with some Canes fans when I cheered a nice body check by the Sabres along the boards. My friends and I were standing in the common area directly behind the last row of seats. Here is the exchange that followed, that they initiated by the way..

Them: Do you live here?

Me: Yes

Them: are you a season ticket holder?

Me: No, why would I be as a Sabres fan?

Them: But you live HERE, you should support the team. Why do you only come here when the Sabres play?

Me: Again I'm a Sabres fan, that's why I come. Would you become and Av's fan if you moved to Denver tomorrow?

Them: Umm, ahhh, ummm. Well YES!!

Me: Ok, so a difference of philosophy. I'm not a team swapping ######.

That pretty much ended the exchange for a few minutes. The next thing I know a security guard taps me on the shoulder and says I'm bothering the fans in front of us, and I need to move to stand behind some empty seats. Apparently, by saying that I'm not a team swapping ###### I implied that this guys wife is an actual ######. <_< Those sneaky Canes fans and their embellishments! So I just moved. Well my friend that got the tickets (a canes fan) went through the roof. He grabbed the security guard and told him that he paid for these tickets and that entitles us to stand wherever we want in the club. He was really laying into him and to be honest I'm surprised we didn't all get kicked out for it. But he was wearing a Canes jacket so the guard was just saying "yes, sir. yes, sir. yes, sir"

Overall though a tame game experience, but we are still perceived as marauding monsters.

Why engage in conversation at all?

I was asked a series of questions and I responded. I know you don't go to games, but if you did, im sure you'd just stand there and ignore direct questions, right?

I may have left out that number sign part, though.

I was asked a series of questions and I responded. I know you don't go to games, but if you did, im sure you'd just stand there and ignore direct questions, right?

Yes. You knew where the conversation was going.

Most of you guys love it and go looking for it. Stop pretending like you are offended.

Yes. You knew where the conversation was going.

Most of you guys love it and go looking for it. Stop pretending like you are offended.

Look, it may seem like a contentious conversation, bit it wasn't. It only got that way when security got involved. Offended? Wtf. I know you are well known for jumping to conclusions to support your contrarian agenda, but I told the story to show how tall tales grow amongst the canes fan base. It would take a whole lot more than that to offend me.

Look, it may seem like a contentious conversation, bit it wasn't. It only got that way when security got involved. Offended? Wtf. I know you are well known for jumping to conclusions to support your contrarian agenda, but I told the story to show how tall tales grow amongst the canes fan base. It would take a whole lot more than that to offend me.

I'm pretty sure that half the tall tales are coming from the Buffalo side.

Erg, this is really boring -- Sabre fans vs. Cane fans, two of the lamest fan bases. I'm sorry I jumped in.

Erg, this is really boring -- Sabre fans vs. Cane fans, two of the lamest fan bases. I'm sorry I jumped in.

No and no.

When visiting my folks in NC, I had to listen to their friends gripe and moan about behavior at the games and I really had to ask myself if these people had ever been to a hockey game before.

Your second statement is just agenda driven drivel.

No and no.

When visiting my folks in NC, I had to listen to their friends gripe and moan about behavior at the games and I really had to ask myself if these people had ever been to a hockey game before.

Your second statement is just agenda driven drivel.

You are agenda driven drivel.

No, please continue to give us these well informed opinions based on your long history of attending games at the RBC center. <_<

Archived