Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

A quick note to the "call up Enroth" crowd: the team is limited to 4 AHL non-emergency callups until Portland's season is done. That is going to have an impact on this goalie situation.

And Vanek looked like he was slowed a step or two last night thanks to that injury. I hope he gets over that quickly.

On the first goal Miller got beat off the post on the short side, then for no good reason pushed himself a third of the way into the corner, leaving the net open. On the second goal, he got back into the crease in more than enough time to make the save, but spun himself around for no good reason, leaving the net open. The overtime goal is yet another example of a long shot leaking through Miller in crunch time. Of course, there's always a tip or a screen for his defenders to point out.

The first two were awful plays in the game of the season with his team in the lead. Shades of the Bruins series.

I love when people who have never played the game or the position feel like they know enough about what is going through the head of a vezina trophy winning, olympic medal winning NHL goalie that they can criticize and second guess the decisions he made on the ice.

This post is just retarded.

On the first goal Miller got beat off the post on the short side, then for no good reason pushed himself a third of the way into the corner, leaving the net open. On the second goal, he got back into the crease in more than enough time to make the save, but spun himself around for no good reason, leaving the net open. The overtime goal is yet another example of a long shot leaking through Miller in crunch time. Of course, there's always a tip or a screen for his defenders to point out.

The first two were awful plays in the game of the season with his team in the lead. Shades of the Bruins series.

Gaffs are indicative of gaffs.

First goal he lost the puck...he thought it was behind the net.

Second goal the D called to play it around. Dumb.

Third he didn't see. (Maybe I'm old school enough to think that the Skaters job in the D zone is to make sure your keeper sees it, I don't care who is in the pipes.)

I was responding specifically to the stamina issue. The first two were ugly. But stamina?

Getting tired of the drop passes in the nuetral zone, everyone stops at the blueline then it's a dump in 90% of the time and they can't get control of the puck, just another horrible coaching philosophy in my opinion. This doesn't mean Lindy is a horrible coach, but he needs to find another strategy.

I agree that I am also tired of the drop pass, it's not like it works that often. I do, however disagree with your point on them dumping it in 90% of the time. On the powerplay I find they carry it over the blueline more often than not. Overall, it's time for a new strategy.

My few takeaways from last night:

Shakira played a good game offensively, but not so much defensively. He should of been on LaRose and should have had better positioning on the OT goal so not to screen Miller.

The drop pass. They can make this work against some teams, others they need to just abandon it. It seemed to work best against the Canes with the drop pass more to the side getting picked up by the streaking winger (see Ennis goalpost).

Many a time last night I thought they would make the smarter play, Sekera late, shoot the puck! but they didn't.

Shots. Everyone on the team had at least one shot on goal. Except Vanek and Myers. These two needed to get those shots. I'd imagine Vanek's ankle messes up the aim a bit, but he needed the puck more last night.

Another guy who needed the puck more was Ennis. LR should have given that line more shifts. Boyes-Connolly-Ennis was great last night.

PP. Fix this and we win A LOT more. Here is where we miss Leopold.

I agree that I am also tired of the drop pass, it's not like it works that often. I do, however disagree with your point on them dumping it in 90% of the time. On the powerplay I find they carry it over the blueline more often than not. Overall, it's time for a new strategy.

I can understand the team's logic to a point. The Canes by stacking the blue line were daring the Sabres to dump it. It is as if they were saying "throw it in, but you can't beat Pikanen in a footrace."

So the Sabres were using drop passes to try to take the line with speed. It was effective at times, but I thought if you have someone rushing through the middle why not chip it occasionally and keep the D honest.

Gaffs are indicative of gaffs.

First goal he lost the puck...he thought it was behind the net.

Second goal the D called to play it around. Dumb.

Third he didn't see. (Maybe I'm old school enough to think that the Skaters job in the D zone is to make sure your keeper sees it, I don't care who is in the pipes.)

I was responding specifically to the stamina issue. The first two were ugly. But stamina?

You're covering for him, and I don't know why. Thinking the puck was behind the net wouldn't explain what Miller did on the first goal. A miscommunication on the second goal had nothing to do with Miller spinning himself around on the second goal. On the winner, you don't know that Miller didn't see the puck, and I don't know that he did.

Four on four is chaotic. There's going to be open ice and open looks. You can take practically every goal scored in the history of the league and find a mistake of some kind made moments before the goal was scored. It's the loser's lament.

My few takeaways from last night:

Shakira played a good game offensively, but not so much defensively. He should of been on LaRose and should have had better positioning on the OT goal so not to screen Miller.

The drop pass. They can make this work against some teams, others they need to just abandon it. It seemed to work best against the Canes with the drop pass more to the side getting picked up by the streaking winger (see Ennis goalpost).

Many a time last night I thought they would make the smarter play, Sekera late, shoot the puck! but they didn't.

Shots. Everyone on the team had at least one shot on goal. Except Vanek and Myers. These two needed to get those shots. I'd imagine Vanek's ankle messes up the aim a bit, but he needed the puck more last night.

Another guy who needed the puck more was Ennis. LR should have given that line more shifts. Boyes-Connolly-Ennis was great last night.

PP. Fix this and we win A LOT more. Here is where we miss Leopold.

Good stuff.

FWIW...I thought McBain had a crappy game. Except for...well the game winner.

Samsonov for Allen was a great trade.

You're covering for him, and I don't know why. Thinking the puck was behind the net wouldn't explain what Miller did on the first goal. A miscommunication on the second goal had nothing to do with Miller spinning himself around on the second goal. On the winner, you don't know that Miller didn't see the puck, and I don't know that he did.

Four on four is chaotic. There's going to be open ice and open looks. You can take practically every goal scored in the history of the league and find a mistake of some kind made moments before the goal was scored. It's the loser's lament.

DVR is ur friend there PA.

First goal he looks behind the net at the Canes player trying to find the puck, then realizes it's not on that guys stick. Morrisonn more the gaff on the first goal IMO.

Second- He whiffed on the puck. His D told him to take it. He whiffed. he thought LaRose would one time the puck, he sprints out, LaRose hold onto the puck, Miller can't stop and does what he can to cover the crease.

Third- Miller sees around Sekera (to Miller's left) as the shooter goes to wind up. Sekera shifts to Miller's right as the shot is taken. Miller hasn't seen the puck leave the stick already. When Reggie is finally out of the way, he sees it from, to quote Harry, about 10 feet out, too late (I think it goes under his armpit). And FWIW, Vanek should have blocked that shot, he could have laid down for that one, he had plenty of time to do it. We know damn well Patty would've.

Again, they could have and should have made smarter plays, they didn't.

I agree that people on this board are covering for Miller when he F's up. Why he was spinning like a top on the 2nd goal is beyond me. He could have laid out flat and been better off. I only saw the highlights and he was not good on the 2nd or 3rd goal. He's been better lately but he has to shoulder the blame on those goals.

Thankfully the Rangers lost again and we are within striking distance of them too.

Hockey is a game of mistakes, but when a goalie is making them, you can't win. Miller needs to do his job and not allow goals like last night. If he does that, we should be in good shape. But let's stop covering up for the dude. He F'd up on two goals and we lost a valuable point.

I agree that people on this board are covering for Miller when he F's up. Why he was spinning like a top on the 2nd goal is beyond me. He could have laid out flat and been better off. I only saw the highlights and he was not good on the 2nd or 3rd goal. He's been better lately but he has to shoulder the blame on those goals.

Thankfully the Rangers lost again and we are within striking distance of them too.

Hockey is a game of mistakes, but when a goalie is making them, you can't win. Miller needs to do his job and not allow goals like last night. If he does that, we should be in good shape. But let's stop covering up for the dude. He F'd up on two goals and we lost a valuable point.

I'm of two minds about it. The fisrt two were fluky brain farty goals which we haven't seen too much of...so I'm not too worried about it. But they are not beyond criticism.

I think however, if you give up only 2 goals in regulation....that's what the baseball statistician would call a quality start. They should have won.

I'm of the mind it should have been a 3-2 win. Not necessarily a 2-1 win. :beer:

DVR is ur friend there PA.

First goal he looks behind the net at the Canes player trying to find the puck, then realizes it's not on that guys stick. Morrisonn more the gaff on the first goal IMO.

Second- He whiffed on the puck. His D told him to take it. He whiffed. he thought LaRose would one time the puck, he sprints out, LaRose hold onto the puck, Miller can't stop and does what he can to cover the crease.

Third- Miller sees around Sekera (to Miller's left) as the shooter goes to wind up. Sekera shifts to Miller's right as the shot is taken. Miller hasn't seen the puck leave the stick already. When Reggie is finally out of the way, he sees it from, to quote Harry, about 10 feet out, too late (I think it goes under his armpit). And FWIW, Vanek should have blocked that shot, he could have laid down for that one, he had plenty of time to do it. We know damn well Patty would've.

Again, they could have and should have made smarter plays, they didn't.

Your DVR is broken, I take it. Morrisonn got his stick on the second shot to prevent a goal. Amazing defensive play. Then the third shot went in with Miller sitting next to the dude with the Buffalo wing hat on. If Miller thought the puck was on the stick of the player going behind the net, why would he slide below the goal line?

The retort to the "didn't see it crowd" is easy. They never have an answer to this: If Miller had made the save on that OT shot, it would have been a lucky save, right? No blame, no credit.

The retort to the "didn't see it crowd" is easy. They never have an answer to this: If Miller had made the save on that OT shot, it would have been a lucky save, right? No blame, no credit.

This sounds almost polemical: "The didn't' see it crowd."

A goaltender is not out there alone. He's talking to the D all the time. Together they are like dance partners. One thing I like about Butler defending is that he decides early whether to contest a shot or move inside to let Miller see it. The worst thing is to not decide at all...like Sekera last night. He got caught. Cole was in front too. Double screen.

1. Goaltenders are working with their defensemen.

2. Half of the defense's job is to help your goalie see shots.

These last two points are independent of any opinions about Miller, but they can certainly help inform any opinions.

This sounds almost polemical: "The didn't' see it crowd."

A goaltender is not out there alone. He's talking to the D all the time. Together they are like dance partners. One thing I like about Butler defending is that he decides early whether to contest a shot or move inside to let Miller see it. The worst thing is to not decide at all...like Sekera last night. He got caught. Cole was in front too. Double screen.

1. Goaltenders are working with their defensemen.

2. Half of the defense's job is to help your goalie see shots.

These last two points are independent of any opinions about Miller, but they can certainly help inform any opinions.

C'mon, it's plain as day that Miller seen the puck on the last shot. If you think otherwise you need your eyes checked.

C'mon, it's plain as day that Miller seen the puck on the last shot. If you think otherwise you need your eyes checked.

He saw it, just too late. FTR I'm not sticking up for his game last night. He made big mistakes. The biggest was overcommitment.

Unless you have access to a camera viewing angle that mimicks Millers' sightline you cannot say that it is plain as day that he saw it. There were 3 bodies between Miller and the shooter. From the camera angles I saw it is very conceiveable that Miller's view of the shooter was obstructed. We don't have access to Miller's perspective on that shot.

I don't know if Miller saw the shot so i'm not in any hurry to lay judgement on that particular play.

Unless you have access to a camera viewing angle that mimicks Millers' sightline you cannot say that it is plain as day that he saw it. There were 3 bodies between Miller and the shooter. From the camera angles I saw it is very conceiveable that Miller's view of the shooter was obstructed. We don't have access to Miller's perspective on that shot.

I don't know if Miller saw the shot so i'm not in any hurry to lay judgement on that particular play.

Not completely sure, but I think you missed an ironic perspective.

I'm just popping my popcorn, getting ready for the end of year volcanic top blowoff by Miller when all is lost. He has matured over the last few years....but I would be pissed if I were him. If he has been playing through injuries...every game the past 3 months....as he's lost 5% of his body weight....hasn't been given any help in the trade market....has to put up with the negative media.....is planning his dream wedding to his female soul mate.....and is expected to carry this team on his back.....it's all gonna come out. You can see the magma flowing under the surface and steam bubbles starting to escape.

Miller is outplaying what I expect of him at this point. I don't blame him for a gosh darn thing. In fact, I feel sorry for him.

I'm just popping my popcorn, getting ready for the end of year volcanic top blowoff by Miller when all is lost. He has matured over the last few years....but I would be pissed if I were him. If he has been playing through injuries...every game the past 3 months....as he's lost 5% of his body weight....hasn't been given any help in the trade market....has to put up with the negative media.....is planning his dream wedding to his female soul mate.....and is expected to carry this team on his back.....it's all gonna come out. You can see the magma flowing under the surface and steam bubbles starting to escape.

Miller is outplaying what I expect of him at this point. I don't blame him for a gosh darn thing. In fact, I feel sorry for him.

Not completely sure, but I think you missed an ironic perspective.

I can live with MILLER's performance last night, you're not always gonna be at the top of your game, but to come out in the presser and say that "my guys told me to play the puck", like he was trying to deflect blame, like a 6 year old, that was ridiculous. :thumbdown:

I can live with MILLER's performance last night, you're not always gonna be at the top of your game, but to come out in the presser and say that "my guys told me to play the puck", like he was trying to deflect blame, like a 6 year old, that was ridiculous. :thumbdown:

Very insecure. He's been tossing his teammates under the bus for a while now.

I completely agree Ghost of Dwight Drane.

I do not point the finger at to many players, I am not found of Butler, Pominville, Connolly, Niedermayer and Morrisonn.

I do hope the re-sign McCormick, Sekera and Montador.

I have stated it before, but I believe they are going to have to deal either Pomer's or Stafford to bring in a Center and I am looking at San Jose as the team to deal with if I were Darcy Regier.

After looking at that site Weave pointed me to (thank you Weave once again), Cap Geek, San Jose has $52,544,167 in contracts for next season with 15 players. With the projected averaging increase in the cap only going up 1.5 to 1.75 million next season let's assume 61.5 mil for the new cap ceiling next year for numbers sake. That leaves roughly 9 million for the Sharks with 3 RFA's, Setoguchi, McCarthy and Hutton.

Not really sure if they sign or move these guys, but, if they fail early in a playoff run this season I can see San Jose really wanting to address the defensive side of their line up.

Could a cap clearing trade be made, and if so, who is the likely suspect?

If I'm Darcy Regier, I'm all over Pavelski at 4 million a season for the next 3 seasons. I can't see San Jose jettisoning any of the big 3 and Clouter is cheaper.

Is Pavelski a good fit and where does he fit in the line up?

Yes, I believe Pavelski is a solid line 2 Center and would be a good fit with Boyes and Ennis on the wings. That's merely my opinion though.

What would it take to get Pavelski in the off season?

I believe a package with a signed Stafford (at 3.5 to 4 mil) would get it done. Maybe a package of Stafford and a 3rd for Pavelski and a 4th, something along those lines.

How does this make the Sabres better?

It gives them a solid center with a decent contract for 3 more seasons. With Roy sure to return and be placed with Vanek and Pominville (if Stafford is moved) it could free up enough talent to create that 3rd scoring line we've been hoping to see.

What about a 3rd scoring line, who would be on it?

I can see the Sabres bringing up Luke Adam next season to center Hecht and ? (insert your choice here for Right Winger), my choice would be Gerbe.

This would put Goose centering Kaleta/Gerbe/McCormick or you can place one of these players on line 3.

Just some thoughts on the possibilities this off season concerning the center position and some roster idea's. Take it with a grain of salt.

After looking at that site Weave pointed me to (thank you Weave once again), Cap Geek, San Jose has $52,544,167 in contracts for next season with 15 players. With the projected averaging increase in the cap only going up 1.5 to 1.75 million next season let's assume 61.5 mil for the new cap ceiling next year for numbers sake. That leaves roughly 9 million for the Sharks with 3 RFA's, Setoguchi, McCarthy and Hutton.

Not really sure if they sign or move these guys, but, if they fail early in a playoff run this season I can see San Jose really wanting to address the defensive side of their line up.

Could a cap clearing trade be made, and if so, who is the likely suspect?

If I'm Darcy Regier, I'm all over Pavelski at 4 million a season for the next 3 seasons. I can't see San Jose jettisoning any of the big 3 and Clouter is cheaper.

Is Pavelski a good fit and where does he fit in the line up?

Yes, I believe Pavelski is a solid line 2 Center and would be a good fit with Boyes and Ennis on the wings. That's merely my opinion though.

What would it take to get Pavelski in the off season?

I believe a package with a signed Stafford (at 3.5 to 4 mil) would get it done. Maybe a package of Stafford and a 3rd for Pavelski and a 4th, something along those lines.

How does this make the Sabres better?

It gives them a solid center with a decent contract for 3 more seasons. With Roy sure to return and be placed with Vanek and Pominville (if Stafford is moved) it could free up enough talent to create that 3rd scoring line we've been hoping to see.

What about a 3rd scoring line, who would be on it?

I can see the Sabres bringing up Luke Adam next season to center Hecht and ? (insert your choice here for Right Winger), my choice would be Gerbe.

This would put Goose centering Kaleta/Gerbe/McCormick or you can place one of these players on line 3.

Just some thoughts on the possibilities this off season concerning the center position and some roster idea's. Take it with a grain of salt.

Pavelski for stafford or pommers and pick has been discussed and dismissed but I am still in favor of such a move.

Archived