GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I'm not asking anyone to blame Miller. Was the shot absolutely unstoppable? Unstoppable shots are stopped every night. Thomas did it the other night against Toronto.

Laser shot tipped in by Recchi right in front.

If not unstoppable it was at least an extremely hard one to stop. Tough to play the shot and the re-direct.

I'm not asking anyone to blame Miller. Was the shot absolutely unstoppable? Unstoppable shots are stopped every night. Thomas did it the other night against Toronto.

To put it back into your own words, then, yes, it was too much to ask Miller to save that one.

it was a good game. I don't mind the loss so much because the mistakes were made by rookies I like, who are going to get better. I thought bflo played a hard game and if they keep playing like that they'll get their share of wins.

How many wins constitutes "their share?"

I think a lot of fans - and perhaps the entire Sabres roster - doesn't fully grasp how bad their playoff situation is right now. Seven points back in itself isn't outrageous if you're a team like the Penguins or the Caps. The Sabres, however, don't have the talent and the intestinal fortitude to maintain a regular season winning pace needed to overcome that kind of point deficit. Just putting together 3 straight wins has been an impossible task thus far for these losers.

It's great that the rookies are learning lessons from their mistakes, but the expectations for the 2010-11 Sabres was supposed to be advancing past the first round of the playoffs, not getting the young guys experience while we struggle to reach .500 hockey.

The silver lining around this season, for me at least, is the introduction to Terry Pegulla. The sooner the Status Quo Quartet (Golisano, Quinn, Regier, Ruff) is eliminated from the picture, the sooner the Sabres can begin getting serious about the Stanley Cup. Not re-signing Connolly, Stafford, and Rivet means $10.3 million to use on a couple star forwards who can score clutch goals and help restore the dynamics of the locker room that left with the BIG TWO in the summer of 2007.

It's great that the rookies are learning lessons from their mistakes, but the expectations for the 2010-11 Sabres was supposed to be advancing past the first round of the playoffs, not getting the young guys experience while we struggle to reach .500 hockey.

I would have agreed with you right after we were eliminated last spring, but after our terrible summer of not-improving the team, my expectations for this season were pretty low.

The silver lining around this season, for me at least, is the introduction to Terry Pegulla. The sooner the Status Quo Quartet (Golisano, Quinn, Regier, Ruff) is eliminated from the picture, the sooner the Sabres can begin getting serious about the Stanley Cup. Not re-signing Connolly, Stafford, and Rivet means $10.3 million to use on a couple star forwards who can score clutch goals and help restore the dynamics of the locker room that left with the BIG TWO in the summer of 2007.

A fresh start with Pegula sounds amazing right now.

I feel bad for Weber. I thought he played a pretty solid game until he had that huge mistake. I feel worse for Adam. He scores his first NHL goal and then takes the fluke high sticking penalty to lose it. At least Weber helped save the other point with Miller out of position near the end. The Sabres had other glorious chances to win but I can't count how many open nets the Bruins missed. I couldn't believe it. The officials had a bad game, the refs missed that punch and Miller's interference claim at the end, and the linesmen messed up at least a couple offside calls when the Sabres were clearly onside. I almost never complain about the officials, but they were atrocious tonight. The Bruins are a bigger stronger and I would say more polished team. I hate them, and I've hated them ever since the 80's when they ruined us in the playoffs every year. Thankfully we have Toronto to make me feel better every time we play them - at least I can make fun of my neighbors and remember that I'm not a Leaf fan.

How many wins constitutes "their share?"

I think a lot of fans - and perhaps the entire Sabres roster - doesn't fully grasp how bad their playoff situation is right now. Seven points back in itself isn't outrageous if you're a team like the Penguins or the Caps. The Sabres, however, don't have the talent and the intestinal fortitude to maintain a regular season winning pace needed to overcome that kind of point deficit. Just putting together 3 straight wins has been an impossible task thus far for these losers.

I think this is a transitional year and don't expect them to make the playoffs. If they do, .I think they'd make it by the skin of their teeth this year and I'd consider it a bonus.. I want them to play at least 5 rookies and phase the deadwood out. I'm starting to like this team. I was really down on them earlier but without Stafford, Rivet, Connolly and maybe some other roster moves, I'd be excited to see youth take over and form a new core. I like the way Buffalo is competing these days and hope they keep it up.

I really don't have a problem with how they played. Boston is a very good looking team right now, and still beatable.

I want the Nathan Gerbe experiment to end.

Agreed on both. Still pissed at the result. What a stupid, stupid turnover.

I think this is a transitional year and don't expect them to make the playoffs. If they do, .I think they'd make it by the skin of their teeth this year and I'd consider it a bonus.. I want them to play at least 5 rookies and phase the deadwood out. I'm starting to like this team. I was really down on them earlier but without Stafford, Rivet, Connolly and maybe some other roster moves, I'd be excited to see youth take over and form a new core. I like the way Buffalo is competing these days and hope they keep it up.

Yeah after some time to let the disappointment wear off and reflect this is a great perspective to have. It was a a pretty good game by the Sabres but there were a lot of missed nets by the Bruins. Miller had an okay game but he did not look as good as Thomas did last night.

It is frustrating to see this team so close so many nights and just unable to bring it home which is why I would agree in letting these kids get the seasoning.

I agree that the lack of moves in offseason originally had me not expecting much but then Lindy proclaimed during exhibition season this was a Stanley cup contender and I thought somehow he knew something I didn't. That by itself now was ridiculous and makes me wonder what he was thinking or trying to do with that. Has he really lost it or was it some crazy attempt to stoke his players to unrealistic heights?

Sure seems absurd now and I would love to see/hear his reaction if one of the media brought it up after another one of these close but no cigar games we have become so accustomed to as Sabres fans under this regime.

If this is a transitional year, then what the ###### were the last three?!!?!? This was supposed to be the year when Darcy's kids finally grew up! This was supposed to be the year when they learned how to be leaders and it was all supposed to come together! This was supposed to be the year where they learned from their playoff ass pounding and used it to propel them farther!

###### developing rookies! We've been doing that for 13 years. I just don't see Darcy and Lindy's master 20 year plan leading to anything.

Yeah after some time to let the disappointment wear off and reflect this is a great perspective to have. It was a a pretty good game by the Sabres but there were a lot of missed nets by the Bruins. Miller had an okay game but he did not look as good as Thomas did last night.

It is frustrating to see this team so close so many nights and just unable to bring it home which is why I would agree in letting these kids get the seasoning.

I agree that the lack of moves in offseason originally had me not expecting much but then Lindy proclaimed during exhibition season this was a Stanley cup contender and I thought somehow he knew something I didn't. That by itself now was ridiculous and makes me wonder what he was thinking or trying to do with that. Has he really lost it or was it some crazy attempt to stoke his players to unrealistic heights?

Sure seems absurd now and I would love to see/hear his reaction if one of the media brought it up after another one of these close but no cigar games we have become so accustomed to as Sabres fans under this regime.

It reminds me of the Bart Simpson quote, "Got it Dad, can't win, don't try."

By not making any moves this offseason, they've lowered our expectations so much that some of us are actually satisfied with the results so far? :blink:

You're right about Lindy. There is a big difference between being rah-rah and delusional. I'd really like to find out which it is because I've got my guess.

The first goal, yeah, that one's on Miller.

And the 3rd, IMO.

I really don't have a problem with how they played. Boston is a very good looking team right now, and still beatable.

No problem with the effort, but is a GD insurance goal so much to ask? Couldn't Pommer bury one of his many chances for $5.3MM per year?

I'd expect that Gerbe is running out of time.

If this is a transitional year, then what the ###### were the last three?!!?!? This was supposed to be the year when Darcy's kids finally grew up! This was supposed to be the year when they learned how to be leaders and it was all supposed to come together! This was supposed to be the year where they learned from their playoff ass pounding and used it to propel them farther!

+1

###### developing rookies! We've been doing that for 13 years. I just don't see Darcy and Lindy's master 20 year plan leading to anything.

It reminds me of the Bart Simpson quote, "Got it Dad, can't win, don't try."

By not making any moves this offseason, they've lowered our expectations so much that some of us are actually satisfied with the results so far? :blink:

You're right about Lindy. There is a big difference between being rah-rah and delusional. I'd really like to find out which it is because I've got my guess.

You're spot on about fans having lowered expectations. The expectations have become so low that this horse$hit is accepted. This team should be competing for the cup every year and instead that moron Regier has us happy to compete for the playoffs every year. He sells us a bill of goods every training camp about the exciting possibilities of growth from within and the odd 'tweek' or addition of some cheap end of his career veteran and everyone swallows so fast they become delusional with the loss of oxygen.

The last three years was the slow-minded discovery of the management (under the non-leadership from Sugar Packets) that the team minus Drury/Briere doesn't have what it takes. Giving guys like Stafford/Connolly a chance to show that they can do it on a regular basis...it proved to be just wrong IMO. Meanwhile, sticking with and giving guys a chance, is a noble thing to do, if you're right about those guys. But they have proved to be wrong about alot of these guys like Gaustad, Hecht, Grier, Lalime and others and transplanting a guy on the downside, who didn't want to come here anyway, Rivet as captain just seemed like a way to pull back and let the system develop in front of our eyes. There are some pretty good pieces still in place...I still have hope for the Roy-Vanek-Pominville core, but many of the guys that they devoted longterm salaries to were simply duds and should be replaced by the yutes. I'm geniunely happy about the development of this latest crop, including Ennis, Adam, Kassian, Weber, Butler and yes, Gerbe and would like to see them get a chance this year.

Butler Weber minus 2

Plus/minus isn't telling the whole story here. Neither one of them had anything to do with that first goal -- it was just ridiculously soft and should never have happened. The second goal was all on Weber. It's another 'minus' for the other four guys on the ice (including Butler) but not their fault at all.

To put it back into your own words, then, yes, it was too much to ask Miller to save that one.

Really? then I guess it was not too much to ask of Thomas to make the save on Roy.

I guess you have got to ask yourself, why are some saves too difficult for Miller but not too difficult for other goalies? Hmm.... makes you wonder.

Really? then I guess it was not too much to ask of Thomas to make the save on Roy.

I guess you have got to ask yourself, why are some saves too difficult for Miller but not too difficult for other goalies? Hmm.... makes you wonder.

Take a look at the position of the skater when he picked up the puck and you'll have the answer to your question. Roy was in too deep and had very little room to move. Horton was out in the mid-slot, pretty much the perfect position. Thomas was out of his net a bit, Miller was not and could not be. If he's out at all, that puck doesn't even make it to Horton, it banks into the net off the back of Miller's leg.

I went back and watched both goals because I thought the same thing. They were completely different plays. Thomas saw everything in front of him and the played developed so slowly that he had time to set up and get position on Roy. The play on Miller was so fast that he had no time to face the shooter. Everyone, even Horton, was surprised that pass didn't go behind the net.

If everyone ever actually gets healthy, it won't really matter since he'll be in the pressbox. Still, I'd much rather have Mancari filling that role instead of Gerbe. He really doesn't bring all that much either, but he's still a better fill in for those 3rd/4th line roles than Gerbe is.

To all the people ready to throw Weber and Adam off a bridge I say this:

Remember how early in the year, and in years past, we hated connolly and stafford for their soft lacksadaisical(sp?) play? Remember how we hated the smurfs and wanted some of our biggger recent draft picks in the lineup? Remember how we hated Rivet's declining skills and toughness and prayed for a toughnosed defenseman to come in and be the sheriff? Remember how we wanted Ruff to bench those scrubs and play the young guys? Remember how we said we would rather live with the kids' mistakes than watch the same old guys playing the same old way?

Well, we have our wish. Adam is everything we have hoped for. He is big, uses his body a little (as he matures physically I think he will use it a lot more) and has been generating a ton of chances for himself and his linemates. Some people expressed concern with his speed early in the year, but I have never seen any evidence of this, and have heard no complaints since. With him playing, we have all quickly forgotten about tiny tim. He finally gets his first goal, the first of what is likely to be be many more this year, and then receives a BS double minor for a high stick against a guy who could win olympic gold in diving. I saw a welt, but no blood. Even if there is just a little blood, those are usually just 2:00.

Weber is that big tough sheriff of a defensemen we have all clamored for. He is young and improving. He hits, he fights, and he isn't slow as molasses. I thought last night was his best game of the year until he had that brain fart in the 3rd. Cut him some slack. He is only going to get better. As he said himself, he has to forget about it and move on. If he is constantly worried that making a mistake will land him in the press box or Portland, he will never improve. Accept some mistakes, even ones that cost us points, and let the kid grow and mature into a player you love.