Avatars, pics, and file uploads got hosed...

SDS

Those images are just cached locally on your systems. Trust me. The disk is hosed and taken out of the system.

The good news is that I just ordered a kick-ass new server that will crush this one...

3x the RAM, 4x the number of cores, faster, more reliable disks in a RAID 1 to improve reliability and further increase performance. This new rig will rock.

Jesus Christ, people, haven't we put this issue to bed? It's not about how cool your avatars are, it's about the quality of the content that you post here. For my part, I would gladly go without avatars entirely, or endure really bad ones, if it meant that this message board finally brought home a Stanl-- ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Jesus Christ, people, haven't we put this issue to bed? It's not about how cool your avatars are, it's about the quality of the content that you post here. For my part, I would gladly go without avatars entirely, or endure really bad ones, if it meant that this message board finally brought home a Stanl-- ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Only fitting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

What are we to make of the fact that certain avatars survived the great purge of ought-ten? Does this say something about the validity or other inherent goodness of the related posters?

This or wishfult thinking

It's going to take me ages to recreate my avatar. :)

Nobody cares.

Those images are just cached locally on your systems. Trust me. The disk is hosed and taken out of the system.

The good news is that I just ordered a kick-ass new server that will crush this one...

3x the RAM, 4x the number of cores, faster, more reliable disks in a RAID 1 to improve reliability and further increase performance. This new rig will rock.

Can we get the team a similar server to increase performance?

Sorry for dropping the ball on this. We had a disk crash and the only thing on that disk of importance were avatars, photos, and photo uploads. We can't get the drive to spin up anymore. The backup I have does nightly backups of the database and the web files, but I never added that directory on the other disk. :censored:

So, once I get the new drive setup - you can reload your avatars if you have them.

Sorry folks!

Should I bring all of my glasses too??

My avatar won't upload - says my file is too large - says 20 KB max for photos. My pic is 14.4 MB. Can't remember which one is larger! Also says it will automatically reduce the size of files that are too large. Apparently that is not happening!!!

Is it just me or is everyone still having this problem? I thought it was supposed to work now???

I'm having the same problem.

BTW, 1 MB (ie "1 million bytes") = 1000 KB (ie "1 thousand bytes), ya hoser.

Word.

I recovered mine from TSW. It appears to be working fine. Sheesh. Am I the only one who knows how to work these new electronical com-pu-tater machines?

I'm having the same problem.

BTW, 1 MB (ie "1 million bytes") = 1000 KB (ie "1 thousand bytes), ya hoser.

Word.

That's what I thought, but it didn't seem possible that we could have an avatar size limit 1/1000 the size of my picture. ######! I thought we had some hot shot new server?

Word to your mother, ######.

Edit: What??? I'm still confused. Friday night drinks started early. Screw it, I'll try it again Monday. Have a nifty new avatar to upload, too.

Isn't it actually some strange number close to 1000 and not the actual metric conversion?

A megabyte has long stood for 1,048,576 bytes (2^20) and a kilobyte for 1,024 (2^10) bytes. Many places now use the terms mebibyte and kibibyte for these quantities thanks to the IEC, while using the original terms for 1,000,000 bytes and 1,000 bytes. I can't stand using 'mebibyte' and 'kibibyte' but I can see why they wanted to keep the 'mega-' and 'kilo-' prefixes consistent with other terms of measurement.

A megabyte has long stood for 1,048,576 bytes (2^20) and a kilobyte for 1,024 (2^10) bytes. Many places now use the terms mebibyte and kibibyte for these quantities thanks to the IEC, while using the original terms for 1,000,000 bytes and 1,000 bytes. I can't stand using 'mebibyte' and 'kibibyte' but I can see why they wanted to keep the 'mega-' and 'kilo-' prefixes consistent with other terms of measurement.

This is very interesting, even if it ismore information than I ever needed. The question is, though, why can't I upload my snazzy new friggin avatar!?!

Is it just me or is everyone still having this problem? I thought it was supposed to work now???

dude, your photo is 1000x larger than it is supposed to be. The board will re-dimension it if it is under the right file size.

Archived