GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

This was horribly frustrating. It reminded of a 2006-2007 Sabres game where the Sabres were completely outplayed and dominated for most of the game and somehow found a way to win. Tonight it was the Sabres who completely outplayed the Blackhawks and somehow found a way to lose. Ridiculous.

How can the Sabres not take it to Hjalmarsson or to Kopecky. This is just an incredibly soft team. Where's Kaleta? Where's Gaustad? Where's Rivet? Where's anyone? These guys are a bunch of pansies, and I'm sick of it.

The Sabres again gave up two goals because of long cross ice passes in which the forward got behind the defense. Hossa did this twice last game, again tonight and so did Bolland, and he almost scored the first time he did it. Do these guys have any awareness of where the forwards are on the ice? Seriously, you've been burned twice before and a third time earlier in the game, how do you miss this? Bolland's goal was totally Rivet's fault and I can't believe he missed him. Rivet is also ridiculously slow as a skater. It's time to retire.

This team is completely off right now. I'm really not even sure what the root cause of the problem is. It seems like everyone up and down the lineup including the coaches are just in a complete funk. There's not just one person you can pinpoint blame on because no one has really been overly better than anyone else on this team. This is the true sign of adversity, and during the next three days when they sit on this 4 game losing streak and think about what's going on will we see how this team reacts. I hope they don't just fold up and let the losing continue, but nothing indicates to me that they will turn this around. This is frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

This team is completely off right now. I'm really not even sure what the root cause of the problem is. It seems like everyone up and down the lineup including the coaches are just in a complete funk. There's not just one person you can pinpoint blame on because no one has really been overly better than anyone else on this team. This is the true sign of adversity, and during the next three days when they sit on this 4 game losing streak and think about what's going on will we see how this team reacts. I hope they don't just fold up and let the losing continue, but nothing indicates to me that they will turn this around. This is frustrating.

After last year's playoffs, the Sabres roster clearly had some issues that needed to be addressed. Darcy's response? He did nothing. Other than Leopold, we didn't sign anyone that other teams were really hot for. And we sure as hell didn't make a trade to change our team.

This roster wasn't put together to win the Cup. It was patched together with Darcy's usual half-assed, scared-to-do-anything-ever effort.

• Like (+1) 1

After last year's playoffs, the Sabres roster clearly had some issues that needed to be addressed. Darcy's response? He did nothing. Other than Leopold, we didn't sign anyone that other teams were really hot for. And we sure as hell didn't make a trade to change our team.

This roster wasn't put together to win the Cup. It was patched together with Darcy's usual half-assed, scared-to-do-anything-ever effort.

Exactly. Who is our "star"player?

This team is not even exciting to watch. And they have created an expectation of: guaranteed loss despite effort. They cannot put the puck in the net despite incredible pressure nor can they finish out an entire sixty minutes. Absurd. I want to spend $169 to watch them throughout the season, but they have given no reason to work a second job so that I can afford it. I am a real fan, but I also have to pay real bills. So far, I have not seen a real team...

I agree. This isn't so much a collapse as an indication of this teams true character and make-up. The prognosticators throughout the league have said as much for a couple of years now. Nobody in the know considered this team a true contender. Let this slide continue and if the hockey gods see fit we'll finally be rid of Regier. He sits on his hands and the players simply follow suit. As they say,$hit flows downhill.

And since I'm doing as the players do and using tired cliches I'll give another. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. That for me sums up Lindy Ruff and managements predicament. If only Darcy didn't have an inflated opinion of 'his' boys.

I'm frustrated like eveyone else but last night I can not blame boring hockey or lack of effort. Sabs were the better team except for the score. This is not a playoff team though.

Last night is just one of those losses you have to take, and a prime example why you can't take nights off at the rate these guys do - In this league, sometimes more often than not, you lose games you should've won, so you'd better make sure you got enough wins in the bank to absorb those losses.

Wishful thinking to believe the Sabres would acknowledge this, though.

such as?

I think they could start with the goal announcements, when the Sabres manage to score one, that is. Almost every other building in the league, the home goal announcement comes with the ensuing faceoff or moments after. It keeps the momentum of the goal going. In Buffalo, the announcement takes way too long. (So do the penalty announcements, which has driven the Pens' announcer Mike Lange crazy for years.) I like what some buildings do, where the fans are asked to shout the last name of the goal scorer in the announcement. Guilt the fans into cheering.

I'd also lose the horn. It works in Chicago, because the building is so loud. In Buffalo, it disguises the fact that people don't make a lot of noise when the Sabres score. Well, why should they, when the horn makes noise for them? Again, turn off the piped in sound and let the fans realize how quiet they are. Guilt is wonderful!

Others have commented on the atrocious musical selection. Can they at least throw Lady of Spain and the Eyewitness News theme out the window? Copy the Hawks, they have it right. And a Chelsea Dagger type theme, used consistently, is a great idea. It annoys the crap out of the opponent and almost creates a predictable, psychological effect of, "You are going to lose, and you know what it's going to sound like."

And they really need someone in the crowd, maybe an employee, with a klaxon or something to get the crowd into the Let's Go Buffalo chant.

Of course all this ignores the ultimate reality that the team has to change its makeup to get the fans back in the game. Until then, even if the team is boring, you can't tell me a hockey town like Buffalo should ever have one of the quietest buildings in the league. And that's hardly just my opinion, as it's been brought up by media members, even Rick Jeanneret, in recent seasons.

I agree. This isn't so much a collapse as an indication of this teams true character and make-up. The prognosticators throughout the league have said as much for a couple of years now. Nobody in the know considered this team a true contender. Let this slide continue and if the hockey gods see fit we'll finally be rid of Regier. He sits on his hands and the players simply follow suit. As they say,$hit flows downhill.

QFT.

I also think given this teams track record that the coach should never have started the season pronouncing this sadsack collection of losers as Stanley cup ready. San last nights game it looks like this team expected the rest of the league to read their press clippings and just lay down.

This team lacks chemistry, an identity and focus. I have seen tournament road teams come together on a weekend have more chemistry and purpose than these guy's.

Just what is the system we are playing?(left wing lock, puck possesion, Offense first, ,,) I know one thing it definitely is not play to the current player strengths because it allows regular breakaways going the other way and has defenseman looking uncertain where they should be.

How many years now has the PP been broken ? Whose responsibility is it to bring in an assistant coach than can actually help with that? (Lindy, DR, ) No we will save the money and let Lindy and the staff that have butchered it for years Google it or try and copy some team they like I guess expecting they can figure out the logic behind the plan.

Last tirade point, please do not tell me they cannot trade Timmay because no one would take him, we know that. Who said he had to be traded?

You want to send a message to this team? Pull a NYR's or EDM move ala Wade Redden, Sheldon Souray and waive his a$$ and put him in Portland. That will send a message..

I think they could start with the goal announcements, when the Sabres manage to score one, that is. Almost every other building in the league, the home goal announcement comes with the ensuing faceoff or moments after. It keeps the momentum of the goal going. In Buffalo, the announcement takes way too long. (So do the penalty announcements, which has driven the Pens' announcer Mike Lange crazy for years.) I like what some buildings do, where the fans are asked to shout the last name of the goal scorer in the announcement. Guilt the fans into cheering.

I'd also lose the horn. It works in Chicago, because the building is so loud. In Buffalo, it disguises the fact that people don't make a lot of noise when the Sabres score. Well, why should they, when the horn makes noise for them? Again, turn off the piped in sound and let the fans realize how quiet they are. Guilt is wonderful!

Others have commented on the atrocious musical selection. Can they at least throw Lady of Spain and the Eyewitness News theme out the window? Copy the Hawks, they have it right. And a Chelsea Dagger type theme, used consistently, is a great idea. It annoys the crap out of the opponent and almost creates a predictable, psychological effect of, "You are going to lose, and you know what it's going to sound like."

And they really need someone in the crowd, maybe an employee, with a klaxon or something to get the crowd into the Let's Go Buffalo chant.

Of course all this ignores the ultimate reality that the team has to change its makeup to get the fans back in the game. Until then, even if the team is boring, you can't tell me a hockey town like Buffalo should ever have one of the quietest buildings in the league. And that's hardly just my opinion, as it's been brought up by media members, even Rick Jeanneret, in recent seasons.

Actually, all they need to do is fire the MSG producer that tells the audio guy to turn down the crowd mics and bring up the ice mics.

On CI when there is both the home and away broadcasts, the building always sounds WAY more alive on the away feed. I find myself watching those more often because the game just sounds more exciting.

Actually, all they need to do is fire the MSG producer that tells the audio guy to turn down the crowd mics and bring up the ice mics.

That's a load of crap and I suspect you know it.

It's an accepted fact in media circles that this is a quiet building, and those are folks actually in the funeral home while games are being played. It has nothing whatsoever to do with microphones.

Anyway, I have no problem hearing noise in the building on TV -- l sure as heck heard it when Rick Jeanneret got a nice ovation.

It's an accepted fact in media circles that this is a quiet building, and those are folks actually in the funeral home while games are being played. It has nothing whatsoever to do with microphones.

Anyway, I have no problem hearing noise in the building on TV -- l sure as heck heard it when Rick Jeanneret got a nice ovation.

It's not a load of crap. I do audio for TV. I've even done audio for hockey (Islanders). I'm not saying that the building may not be quieter than others, but I know for a fact that the producers/director want more ice sound for some reason. I personally like more crowd in my mix. Unless you have CI and go back and forth between the home and away broadcasts and tell me that you don't hear a difference, then you, good sir, are the one who is full of crap.

It's not a load of crap. I do audio for TV. I've even done audio for hockey (Islanders). I'm not saying that the building may not be quieter than others, but I know for a fact that the producers/director want more ice sound for some reason. I personally like more crowd in my mix. Unless you have CI and go back and forth between the home and away broadcasts and tell me that you don't hear a difference, then you, good sir, are the one who is full of crap.

It's not even worth arguing with him. If I remember correctly, he hasn't been to a game in years.

I don't know about the crowd noise in the stadium, but I do know that Hockey Night in Canada does up the crowd noise on their broadcasts. I noticed that fifteen or so years ago and have always wanted our broadcast to do the same. I like hearing the roar of the crowd

When your team takes on the character of a Philharmonic, that's the type of atmosphere and patrons which will follow. When your team takes on the character of a jazz band, you will get the drinking, dancing, smoking, cheering, and revelry.

Darcy is first chair cello. Quinn plays flute, and Lindy is the conductor with the extra starched shirt.

This team has been system oriented for years. Systems make you think instead of go on instinct. I would much rather see trust within a structure. That's what jazz is. Guys who know in their hearts what to do, and are allowed the freedom to show it. This team has little to none of that.....and it rubs off on the crowd.