GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

When your team takes on the character of a Philharmonic, that's the type of atmosphere and patrons which will follow. When your team takes on the character of a jazz band, you will get the drinking, dancing, smoking, cheering, and revelry.

Darcy is first chair cello. Quinn plays flute, and Lindy is the conductor with the extra starched shirt.

This team has been system oriented for years. Systems make you think instead of go on instinct. I would much rather see trust within a structure. That's what jazz is. Guys who know in their hearts what to do, and are allowed the freedom to show it. This team has little to none of that.....and it rubs off on the crowd.

That's as well put as anything I've read.

It's not a load of crap. I do audio for TV. I've even done audio for hockey (Islanders). I'm not saying that the building may not be quieter than others, but I know for a fact that the producers/director want more ice sound for some reason. I personally like more crowd in my mix. Unless you have CI and go back and forth between the home and away broadcasts and tell me that you don't hear a difference, then you, good sir, are the one who is full of crap.

Again, it has nothing to do with the audio on TV. Forget it.

If someone who goes to the games on a regular basis wants to try and tell me the fans are loud in that building, I'll listen.

If someone who goes to the games on a regular basis wants to try and tell me the fans are loud in that building, I'll listen.

Wow. People really have no idea what I do for a living. Kinda cool.

That building is quiet as hell for most of the game. I went to 2 games back to back in Oct last season and I was disgusted at how quiet it was. I was there for Myers first goal and the building exploded and then quieted after 5 mins.

The next night, Max returned to HSBC. It was quiet til he touched the puck and I decided to boo him. Then, there was some noise. Then, he scored and people cheered.

The only time I've been to a game where it was loud the whole game was in the 06 playoffs.

I mean, I've gone to a Sabres game and the next night gone to a Bandits game with half the crowd and the difference in noise level is insane. Granted, Bandits is a difference atmosphere with the PA announcer basically trying to insight a riot and the organized cheers and the fact that the core fans are extremely loyal.

But it is still the same building with almost half the crowd. And it's been the same way since the lockout. It's the fact that the Sabres have gone more to the casual fan and the rabid crowds we remember are gone.

That building is quiet as hell for most of the game. I went to 2 games back to back in Oct last season and I was disgusted at how quiet it was. I was there for Myers first goal and the building exploded and then quieted after 5 mins.

The next night, Max returned to HSBC. It was quiet til he touched the puck and I decided to boo him. Then, there was some noise. Then, he scored and people cheered.

The only time I've been to a game where it was loud the whole game was in the 06 playoffs.

I mean, I've gone to a Sabres game and the next night gone to a Bandits game with half the crowd and the difference in noise level is insane. Granted, Bandits is a difference atmosphere with the PA announcer basically trying to insight a riot and the organized cheers and the fact that the core fans are extremely loyal.

But it is still the same building with almost half the crowd. And it's been the same way since the lockout. It's the fact that the Sabres have gone more to the casual fan and the rabid crowds we remember are gone.

And that all comes back to ticket prices. The people who go are the ones who can afford to. But they might not be the best fans. It's typically middle class families with kids. Those aren't what makes noise. It's this whole "family event" atmosphere that kills these games. Lower the ticket prices to be inline with the economy of the area and you'll get the crowd back.

Oh, and win a few damn games too.

This is why college hockey is so much better than the NHL.

Bologna is the most anger inducing of all lunch meats. I mean, you're eating bologna. Wouldn't you be pissed you've been reduced to eating big noses and horse hooves.

Anywhere but Buffalo perhaps. Buffalo loves their bologna.

It's not a load of crap. I do audio for TV. I've even done audio for hockey (Islanders). I'm not saying that the building may not be quieter than others, but I know for a fact that the producers/director want more ice sound for some reason. I personally like more crowd in my mix. Unless you have CI and go back and forth between the home and away broadcasts and tell me that you don't hear a difference, then you, good sir, are the one who is full of crap.

My advice, Swamp: save yourself the trouble (but you are right).

And Chicago--one of the best buildings in the league? They didn't have any atmosphere at all until 2008. I was two blocks from the arena an hour before Game 2 last year, and you would have had no idea that the city had a team, much less that Game 2 of the Finals was an hour and two blocks away.

It was quiet at HSBC for the NJD game, though. For good reason: there was little to cheer.

I did not DVR the Chicago game so I won't be able to see for myself what happened when I get home...anyone care to sum it up?

Bologna is the most anger inducing of all lunch meats. I mean, you're eating bologna. Wouldn't you be pissed you've been reduced to eating big noses and horse hooves.

I would say pimento loaf if far more of a angering lunch meat that bologna.

My top Six lunch meats :

Prosciutto - Roast Beef - Genoa Salami

Turkey - Ham - Capicola

My top four cheeses :

X-Sharp Cheddar - Swiss Lorraine

Colby - Pepper Jack

Starting Bread :

Fresh Vienna Bread

This is far more interesting than talking about the Sabres. Maybe Russer's will follow Perry's and develop a lunch meat for the Sabres. Who wouldn't want to order a pound of Pu$$y Loaf?

And Chicago--one of the best buildings in the league? They didn't have any atmosphere at all until 2008. I was two blocks from the arena an hour before Game 2 last year, and you would have had no idea that the city had a team, much less that Game 2 of the Finals was an hour and two blocks away.

It was quiet at HSBC for the NJD game, though. For good reason: there was little to cheer.

I did not DVR the Chicago game so I won't be able to see for myself what happened when I get home...anyone care to sum it up?

That's good advice. No one will ever convince me that building has any energy whatsoever, just like the team and the burnout behind the bench.

And I'm certainly not going to be swayed by someone who doesn't recognize the history of hockey fans in Chicago.

That's good advice. No one will ever convince me that building has any energy whatsoever, just like the team and the burnout behind the bench.

And I'm certainly not going to be swayed by someone who doesn't recognize the history of hockey fans in Chicago.

Feel free to cheer and add some of your own energy every time you go to a game.

They played and skated much harder, and created more offensive chances, than in any prior game this year. They also blew 2-1 and 3-2 leads, including a 3-2 lead in the 3rd period. It's of course totally subjective, but the aura of loser-ness that is currently surrounding this team made Chicago's comeback seem inevitable -- I was watching the game expecting it to happen.

Team defense was pretty good, EXCEPT for a few breakdowns that Chicago was able to cash in a pretty ruthless and cold-blooded fashion. Same for Lalime -- he played pretty well, although he surrendered the GTG on a breakaway by a non-scorer (who sailed past Rivet when Rivet took the wrong angle on the backcheck). And other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Roy-Vanek-Stafford looked alright, although Vanek is deep underwater right now. He had the puck on a 3-on-1, held it too long and passed it directly to the defenseman. Awful. TC played with McCormick and Hecht -- that line was also alright. Ennis was with Niedermayer and Grier, and Gerbe was with Gaustad (who had his best game of the season) and Kaleta (who is kinda invisible these days).

PP moved the puck well but didn't cash anything.

Myers continued to struggle.

It's fairly rocky in Mudville.

Well I just got back from camping and watched the game. My thoughts....

Seems my boy Tyler Myers can't catch a break, but with his skill set and attitude I don't worry about it. Hopefully he's getting the yips out of the way now.

Vanek? Seriously on a 3-1 give the puck up at the line to Stafford and let him decide. Terrible play. You think Chicago will trade him for Hossa?

Ennis? Shoot the puck kid. You are about to get benched in favour of Gerbe full time. He played very well that #42.

McCormick? Love him. Works hard. Great team guy. Play him more.

Rivet? You are a useless bag of shat. That 4-4 goal pass came from deep inside the Hawks line and yet he is flat footed and beaten like a rented mule. He's a disgrace of a Captain and frankly his time is past. He needs to go away.

Connolly? Looked good to me but nothing came of it.

Roy? Best skater on the team this season.

Lalime? I don't know what to say.

Gaustad? Go away.

The team as a whole, if they play like that each and every night then I'll have no issues with anything. They outworked Chicago all night long, but the confidence is low and the Hawks are the Champs and made them pay for every mistake. But if the boys play like that we'll be fine.

As for Myers not kicking the crap out of the guy when Roy got hit, he couldn't. PP to tie the game was more important. Unfortunately the team did nothing to settle any scores re: the bad hits but what do you expect?

I'll take that as your white flag of surrender. Whether I go or not is irrelevant to the discussion.

In a way, you've made it relevant.

It's one thing to make an observation. Maybe even the same observation twice. It's another to harp on a subject of which you choose not to become a part of the solution. Complaining that other people who make the trip aren't loud enough, especially to the virtual faces of those who are going, is rather bush IMO.

I'll take that as your white flag of surrender. Whether I go or not is irrelevant to the discussion.

If you need that to be a white flag for you to feel good then sure, it's a white flag.

My point was that you wouldn't need convincing about the energy if you just went to a game. I say the broadcast makes a difference. You say it doesn't. You're wrong. Is it quieter than other barns? Maybe. I've already said that, but not by as much as you think because of the amount of the crowd mics that the director allows to go to air.

Why oh why didn't I listen.

In a way, you've made it relevant.

It's one thing to make an observation. Maybe even the same observation twice. It's another to harp on a subject of which you choose not to become a part of the solution. Complaining that other people who make the trip aren't loud enough, especially to the virtual faces of those who are going, is rather bush IMO.

It's all repetitive on here, especially in the Ruff Era (har har). It's a good thing we harp. It keeps you in business.

I don't think Swamp has admitted to going to any more games than I have, but I could be wrong about that.

And, who's to say I choose not to go? Don't make assumptions.

If you need that to be a white flag for you to feel good then sure, it's a white flag.

My point was that you wouldn't need convincing about the energy if you just went to a game. I say the broadcast makes a difference. You say it doesn't. You're wrong. Is it quieter than other barns? Maybe. I've already said that, but not by as much as you think because of the amount of the crowd mics that the director allows to go to air.

Why oh why didn't I listen.

Are my eyes wrong too? The Sabres score, and sweeps of the arena show most people sitting.

Ever notice they zoom into a small group of people who are actually cheering? That's an old director's trick, too, isn't it?

In a way, I'm really railing on an ownership and management and coaching team that has bored a great hockey town to tears. I'm also railing on fans who go to a hockey game and won't cheer. I just don't get that. John Vogl pointed out in his game blog the other night that Buffalo remains the only NHL city he's been in that doesn't give a standing ovation to servicemen and servicewomen being recognized at the game.

I missed most of the argument but I just wanted to throw in my two cents here. I have seen (heard?) HSBC loud. Very loud. I went to Game 2 vs Philly in 2006 and that was probably the loudest I've ever heard the place. Granted it was playoffs. But the thing is in 2005-06, only people who legitimately cared about hockey and the Sabres were going to the game. Hockey still didn't exist to a lot of people. Not to demean any fans but you've got to admit, the # of Sabres "fans" at least tripled after the 06-07 season, and it seems like at that point going to games became more of a family oriented event rather than a fan oriented event. Last season I went to a game against Phoenix and sat second row, close enough to touch the glass (closest I've ever sat) -- some group of old ladies near us in the front row bitched at us for touching and pounding on the glass.\

To me, the arena definitely isn't anywhere near as energetic as it used to be -- most likely because lots of families go together and don't want to go nuts. But that said, it's not like the place is an abandoned warehouse either. It still gets loud and people still cheer, especially in the 300's, but it definitely hasn't been like 2006.

I missed most of the argument but I just wanted to throw in my two cents here. I have seen (heard?) HSBC loud. Very loud. I went to Game 2 vs Philly in 2006 and that was probably the loudest I've ever heard the place. Granted it was playoffs. But the thing is in 2005-06, only people who legitimately cared about hockey and the Sabres were going to the game. Hockey still didn't exist to a lot of people. Not to demean any fans but you've got to admit, the # of Sabres "fans" at least tripled after the 06-07 season, and it seems like at that point going to games became more of a family oriented event rather than a fan oriented event. Last season I went to a game against Phoenix and sat second row, close enough to touch the glass (closest I've ever sat) -- some group of old ladies near us in the front row bitched at us for touching and pounding on the glass.\

To me, the arena definitely isn't anywhere near as energetic as it used to be -- most likely because lots of families go together and don't want to go nuts. But that said, it's not like the place is an abandoned warehouse either. It still gets loud and people still cheer, especially in the 300's, but it definitely hasn't been like 2006.

Right. And these family types aren't there to cheer until they can't speak anymore. Which is the exact opposite of myself, who spends upwards of 15 nights every season blowing my voice out for my Tigers at home (and often times away too). Last year a group of us got a box of 8000 coughdrops from Halls for free because we wrote Halls and told them we burned through packages of them for hockey games, and they thought that was awesome. Show up to a Sabres game with your pockets stuffed with cough drops and start cheering your team on, and all of a sudden you and the three other guys in your section who care, are all getting dirty looks from mom and dad because they don't get it.

Being a spectator isn't about sitting with your hands in your lap and clapping every time someone makes a play. It's about cheering until your throat is raw and you have broken blood vessels in your eyeballs. It's about being a part of the game, not removed from it.

That's one thing the fans at Bills games have that we don't. Drunken, rowdy, spirit and a complete lack of politeness.