GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

That's good advice. No one will ever convince me that building has any energy whatsoever, just like the team and the burnout behind the bench.

And I'm certainly not going to be swayed by someone who doesn't recognize the history of hockey fans in Chicago.

One of the best buildings in the league may have included Chicago Stadium, but it never will include the United Center, PA. Has nothing to do with history; has everything to do with lack of fans in a new building. Which is what you were discussing. But go on, go on...

Right. And these family types aren't there to cheer until they can't speak anymore. Which is the exact opposite of myself, who spends upwards of 15 nights every season blowing my voice out for my Tigers at home (and often times away too). Last year a group of us got a box of 8000 coughdrops from Halls for free because we wrote Halls and told them we burned through packages of them for hockey games, and they thought that was awesome. Show up to a Sabres game with your pockets stuffed with cough drops and start cheering your team on, and all of a sudden you and the three other guys in your section who care, are all getting dirty looks from mom and dad because they don't get it.

Being a spectator isn't about sitting with your hands in your lap and clapping every time someone makes a play. It's about cheering until your throat is raw and you have broken blood vessels in your eyeballs. It's about being a part of the game, not removed from it.

That's one thing the fans at Bills games have that we don't. Drunken, rowdy, spirit and a complete lack of politeness.

Lots of good points throughout the thread.

The Halls story is awesome.

The arena HAS changed over the years. The President's Trophy team for some reason changed a lot of the dynamics. It's probably a combo of fans getting priced out of attending games on a regular basis, the disappointment of getting your team gutted and missing the playoffs just months later, and don't forget....the lockout plays a roll. I used to be a die-hard Braves fan until the baseball strike. They came back and won the series the next year...and I didn't feel it in my gut. This from a guy you used to watch every game when they were 62-100.

If you had a time machine and took someone out of the crowd from the Aud...and transported them to the Sabres/Devils game, they would have taken a shotgun to their own head. There wasn't one moment during that game other than Miller's nice sprawling leg-stab save where I couldn't clearly hear the person next to me in a conversation. Back in the day you would be so focused on the play on the ice you wouldn't dare talk during play, and the crowd excitement would make it tough to talk during breaks.

Seriously, the only reason I went to the game was to get dinner and drinks. There just happened to be a hockey game going on around us. I take some of the blame for that, but if I believed in this team, that they were doing everything they could to win and tried with even 93% effort....I would be enthralled in the game. The Sabres to me are sort of the deadbeat relative you have to sit through Thanksgiving dinner with. You are polite and listen to their endless talking....but don't believe a word that comes out of their mouth and are happy to see them go.

I can't be alone in that thought....and because bigger money is now in control of the seats at the arena, you are not going to have an exciting atmosphere. The arena now is not much different than a Florida Panthers game.

I can't be alone in that thought....and because bigger money is now in control of the seats at the arena, you are not going to have an exciting atmosphere. The arena now is not much different than a Florida Panthers game.

The irony being that the throngs of Sabres fans in attendance at Florida Panthers' (or Tampa Bay and Carolina, as well) games are so raucous and lively they can clearly be heard via the TV broadcast. I've experienced some truly dead crowds at HSBC over the last 150 or so games I've attended since the lockout and there was clearly a shift starting around the time of the 2006-07 season to a crowd that considered a Sabres game a social event, worth more as an anecdote than an actual living hockey experience.

About 2 years ago I recall seeing a very well manicured young dude, replete with designer jeans, leather jacket, and silk scarf, with a large group that looked more at home at Shea's than a sporting event, seated in the row in front of me--- this dandy fop actually wiped off his seat before he sat in it, and, to prove chivalry is truly dead, refused to do likewise for his girlfriend. Later, after a Buffalo goal, someone accidentally spilled beer on him in celebration, and he spent the next 10 minutes or so glaring back at our row in disgust. Seriously? Upset that beer was obviously accidentally spilled on you at a hockey game in the heat of the moment following a goal celebration? If it were intentional--- sure, that's worthy of getting upset. But if you don't want to be in the sightline of potential beer spillage, then the last place to go is a hockey game.

It certainly varies from night to night, but overall the wrong kind of crowd has invaded HSBC. Game 5 against Ottawa in 2007 was the single most electric and involved crowd I've ever been a part of, but that was probably the last time the crowd felt like a living breathing organism--- that we could almost will the team to victory (sadly of course, it didn't happen that night). The metrosexuals in the crowd are merely mimicking the metrosexuals on the ice.

If you did it more than twice a game, then I'm siding with the old ladies. Man, is that annoying.

I pray you never go to a Bandits game.

I think I realized the shift in the fan base when I was screaming and yelling during a game and started getting dirty looks from the lower bowl and I was up in the 300's. I nearly lost a girlfriend over my overly raucous behavior. That and she was pushing my buttons after the Bandits lost the championship game.

The real fans sit up top. There are still pockets of real fans up there. The problem is they can't even cheer because you got the whiners up there ready to run to an usher for no reason. I mean, I really think half the problem is this PC Amerika/Family Values/Moral Majority push. As Helen Lovejoy says, "Won't someone think of the children!" Well, you think about your children and how you brought them to a sporting where alcohol is served, the athletes constantly hit each other, and may get into a fight.

And there is another thing, the arena staff caters to those type of fans because I'm sure the last thing they want is a lawsuit over some people yelling and how it scarred their children for life. I've seen arena staff remove people for being a little rowdy but all in team spirit. And I've seen overzealous dad's sicked on 20-somethings by helicopter mom's and then watch the 20-something get tossed. Then, take away any sign that is anti-management or expresses any negative sentiment.

There is a lot at play here but it still leaves the fact that the arena is dying.

The irony being that the throngs of Sabres fans in attendance at Florida Panthers' (or Tampa Bay and Carolina, as well) games are so raucous and lively they can clearly be heard via the TV broadcast. I've experienced some truly dead crowds at HSBC over the last 150 or so games I've attended since the lockout and there was clearly a shift starting around the time of the 2006-07 season to a crowd that considered a Sabres game a social event, worth more as an anecdote than an actual living hockey experience.

About 2 years ago I recall seeing a very well manicured young dude, replete with designer jeans, leather jacket, and silk scarf, with a large group that looked more at home at Shea's than a sporting event, seated in the row in front of me--- this dandy fop actually wiped off his seat before he sat in it, and, to prove chivalry is truly dead, refused to do likewise for his girlfriend. Later, after a Buffalo goal, someone accidentally spilled beer on him in celebration, and he spent the next 10 minutes or so glaring back at our row in disgust. Seriously? Upset that beer was obviously accidentally spilled on you at a hockey game in the heat of the moment following a goal celebration? If it were intentional--- sure, that's worthy of getting upset. But if you don't want to be in the sightline of potential beer spillage, then the last place to go is a hockey game.

It certainly varies from night to night, but overall the wrong kind of crowd has invaded HSBC. Game 5 against Ottawa in 2007 was the single most electric and involved crowd I've ever been a part of, but that was probably the last time the crowd felt like a living breathing organism--- that we could almost will the team to victory (sadly of course, it didn't happen that night). The metrosexuals in the crowd are merely mimicking the metrosexuals on the ice.

I think those types showing up at the game has more to do with the push to revitalize Buffalo, which I do support as a West Side resident. The problem is a lot of people think they can turn this place into the Village in NY, hence the attitude they bring around. They forget that this was a blue collar, working class city. Buffalo never claimed to be the class act of NYS. I understand we do have a budding art scene and some respected education institutions but you don't see that type of person showing up at Knick games and Ranger games in NYC. So why think you can turn a Sabres game into some sort of social event. It's not suppose to be.

I think those types showing up at the game has more to do with the push to revitalize Buffalo, which I do support as a West Side resident. The problem is a lot of people think they can turn this place into the Village in NY, hence the attitude they bring around. They forget that this was a blue collar, working class city. Buffalo never claimed to be the class act of NYS. I understand we do have a budding art scene and some respected education institutions but you don't see that type of person showing up at Knick games and Ranger games in NYC. So why think you can turn a Sabres game into some sort of social event. It's not suppose to be.

Do they like men in pink vest / swimsuit combos and the words "MASTER CYLINDER" in giant typefaces?

The most fun I've had at the arena in recent years is to be sitting in the 300's surrounded by Montreal fans. They were semi-obnoxious, but mainly in good fun. We started getting into playful barbs with them....and because they knew their hockey and obviously are into it, making the drive, it was all the better. If you gave a Sabres IQ test to people.....and say average on this site would be 40 out of 50......I bet the average fan over 20 years old at the arena would be lucky to sport a 20-25.

Again....I can't blame the current crowd. Going to a Sabres game the past 4 years many nights is like walking into the DMV. A bunch of people are there because they have to be, a few because they want to be, and the employees show the same passion.

You guys wanna hear a dead crowd? I was watching a Kings game on TV here the other day, and I could not believe how silent it was. Absolutely pathetic. They were just skating around, it was like....I don't know how to describe it.

Maybe Buffalo's different in person, but it's definitely not terrible on TV to me compared to the Kings.

You guys wanna hear a dead crowd? I was watching a Kings game on TV here the other day, and I could not believe how silent it was. Absolutely pathetic. They were just skating around, it was like....I don't know how to describe it.

Maybe Buffalo's different in person, but it's definitely not terrible on TV to me compared to the Kings.

They need to turn up the mics!

I'd like them to replace Gaustad, Grier and Hecht with Mancari, Kassian and Luke Adam.

I'd like them to replace Regier and Ruff with whoever at this point, and then replace everyone on the roster besides Miller and Myers, but seeing as that's not going to happen I'm going to set my bar low.

I personally promise never to watch a Sabres game again, until ONE of the following things come true, in no particular order :

1. Regier is fired/steps down

2. Ruff is fired/steps down

3. Rivet is a healthy scratch/waived/traded

4. Connolly is waived/traded

5. Stafford is waived/traded

6. A true no. 1 center is aquired

7. A 40-goal scorer is aquired

*edit

And for those of you who think I'm not serious, I haven't watched a game since they refused to does as much as even show up against the Rangers for game ###### TWO of the season, AND the HOME OPENER!!!

I'd like them to replace Regier and Ruff with whoever at this point, and then replace everyone on the roster besides Miller and Myers, but seeing as that's not going to happen I'm going to set my bar low.

I personally promise never to watch a Sabres game again, until ONE of the following things come true, in no particular order :

my bet is that Rivet is a healthy scratch happens first and a true no. 1 center acquired is last.

my bet is that Rivet is a healthy scratch happens first and a true no. 1 center acquired is last.

Mine is that neither happens until either Rivet, Stafford or Connolly aren't resigned, and it's a definite possibility they will be, in which case I'm fine with skipping a few seasons.

As long as this crap stays the same, I'm not watching, simple as that.

I stuck with them through bankruptcy, but I can't stomach this fear of changes from management or lack of drive and basic professionalism from the players.

*edit

And for those of you who think I'm not serious, I haven't watched a game since they refused to does as much as even show up against the Rangers for game ###### TWO of the season, AND the HOME OPENER!!!

Mine is that neither happens until either Rivet, Stafford or Connolly aren't resigned, and it's a definite possibility they will be, in which case I'm fine with skipping a few seasons.

As long as this crap stays the same, I'm not watching, simple as that.

I stuck with them through bankruptcy, but I can't stomach this fear of changes from management or lack of drive and basic professionalism from the players.

So if none of these items occurs this year (and it's at least 70% likely that this will be the case), you're not going to watch a single game? What if they come back strong and win the division again? You're not going to watch the playoffs? Also, if Vanek returns to form at hits 40 this year (which I don't expect to occur, but it is possible), will this satisfy #7?

Don't be ridiculous.

So if none of these items occurs this year (and it's at least 70% likely that this will be the case), you're not going to watch a single game? What if they come back strong and win the division again? You're not going to watch the playoffs? Also, if Vanek returns to form at hits 40 this year (which I don't expect to occur, but it is possible), will this satisfy #7?

Don't be ridiculous.

I feel quite confident neither of what you described is going to happen, but I've said it before I'll say it again - Winning the division last year had nothing to do with the team, and everything to do with Miller playing lights out for 3/4 of the season. Very entertaining when Dom did it, because he had a team in front of him that would play their hearts out. Miller's team on the other hand, will quite happily take 20-30 nights off per season, and stand around and watch while other teams cheapshot him, or anyone else for that matter, to injury.

At the moment Miller's not stealing games like he was last year, and once again we see the offense being insufficent, the PP being non-existent, the defense running all over the place, allowing breakaways left and right.

The only really strong point this team seems to have on a consistent basis is it's PK.

I don't expect you to understand, but change is desperately needed, and until I see as much as a glimpse of it, I'm not going to watch a game simply cause I've seen it all before, and its sure as heck wasn't very interesting the first, second or third time around.

Like I said, I stuck with the team through the post-Hasek and bankruptcy era. Star players leave and teams struggle to replace them, owners make bad or illegal decisions and teams suffer because of it. That's just how the world of pro sports works. I'll accept that 100% any day. I may not like it, but I'll accept it all the same.

But there's never a valid excuse for the current state of affairs other than stubbornness, unwillingness to adapt, and poor decision making as a whole from the management and coaching team. Add to this a complete unwillingness to compete as professionals from 90% of the roster, and you end up with a product I don't care to watch.

Ridiculous? Quite possibly, but I consider icing the same pathetic crew season after season, and making the same mistakes over and over again way more ridiculous.

I want change. As little as scratching Rivet will do it.

But I want change.