Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

90% is probably way too high. The percentage of Buffalo fans caring about the Amerks is most likely only slightly higher than the amount of Mets fans that even think about the Bisons.

The affiliation thing was a shame....but Portland has been great for the Sabres this year.

The callups have been solid and ready..

The affiliation thing was a shame....but Portland has been great for the Sabres this year.

The callups have been solid and ready..

That has nothing to do with town they play in. How on Earth did Tommy let them split the Americans with the Panthers? Did that save him some daily tax money as well?

I have no idea what that means. Nothing Against Wildcat but maybe he could pretend to be something more than a Maine Minor league hockey fan and post something about the big boy club instead of an article about the team stolen from WNY.

wildcat48 does a great service to us keeping us informed of the players in the system. You don't speak for the rest of us. Lay off, huh?

I have no idea what that means. Nothing Against Wildcat but maybe he could pretend to be something more than a Maine Minor league hockey fan and post something about the big boy club instead of an article about the team stolen from WNY.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

STFU pal. If you don't like the posts don't read them.

Seriously? I was all for the Amerks when they were Buffalo's affiliate, but the fact that they left has nothing to do with Portland stealing them. Rochester chose to dual affiliate, and it ruined the relationship with Buffalo. Rochester has no one to blame but Rochester's front office.

And have you ever been to Portland? The fans up there have actually started to turn into Sabres fans BECAUSE of the Pirates. I went up there for the first time back in November for a job interview at an engineering firm, and when we started talking sports, hockey was the first thing that came up, and it started as Pirates talk, but soon turned to Sabres. They seem to know their Sabres stuff up there (mixed in with some bruins fans that is <_< )

If you don't like the fact that some of us do actually enjoy reading about Buffalo's farm team, then don't read these posts. It's not like anyone is forcing them on you.

wildcat48 does a great service to us keeping us informed of the players in the system. You don't speak for the rest of us. Lay off, huh?

STFU pal. If you don't like the posts don't read them.

Seriously? I was all for the Amerks when they were Buffalo's affiliate, but the fact that they left has nothing to do with Portland stealing them. Rochester chose to dual affiliate, and it ruined the relationship with Buffalo. Rochester has no one to blame but Rochester's front office.

And have you ever been to Portland? The fans up there have actually started to turn into Sabres fans BECAUSE of the Pirates. I went up there for the first time back in November for a job interview at an engineering firm, and when we started talking sports, hockey was the first thing that came up, and it started as Pirates talk, but soon turned to Sabres. They seem to know their Sabres stuff up there (mixed in with some bruins fans that is <_< )

If you don't like the fact that some of us do actually enjoy reading about Buffalo's farm team, then don't read these posts. It's not like anyone is forcing them on you.

Right, right, and right.

It's about the easiest stuff on the board to ignore, too, if you want to. It's all in one thread (most of the time).

And it's not Portland's fault or Buffalo's fault that Donner was an idiot.

Normally I am against the mods deleting posts but these should be an exception. Wildcat doesn't deserve to have to read these and they have nothing to do with the thread!

Thought about it. But it's one person who doesn't know the story and all the rest sticking up for Wildcat. He should be able to see that too.

Thought about it. But it's one person who doesn't know the story and all the rest sticking up for Wildcat. He should be able to see that too.

I agree with that. The absolutely idiotic statement was quickly shot down by just about everyone and Wildcat should see that.

You realize 90% of the people here resent the fact that the team left Rochester and is in some no name city in a no name state?

Portland is actually a really nice city. Not sure why anyone from Rochester gets to be on a high horse about any other city.

This is like when my 10-year-old says "No offense, but you stink." (I think Will Ferrell did the same thing in "Talladega Nights," which was a great movie btw).

Anyway, I'm firmly in the camp supporting Wildcat and asking exactly WTF your problem is. If you're unhappy that the Amerks aren't affiliated with the Sabres anymore, your beef is with Donner, not the Sabres -- and certainly not Wildcat.

Whitmore ‘rallies’ the troops in OT; give Pirates 2-0 series lead

Published on: 16th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Much like the regular season, the margin for error is very small between the Portland Pirates and the Connecticut Whale.

With seven of the nine games during the season being decided by a goal including Game 1 of the Calder Cup playoff, which was a 3-2 victory in favor of the Pirates, Game 2 was no different.

Derek Whitmore scored in the third period, and again in overtime as the Pirates rallied from behind for a 3-2 win in front of 5,029 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Saturday night to take a two games-to-none lead in the best-of-seven series Atlantic Division semifinal.

Link>>>>

No offense taken, but this response has been a common one that I've received. People from Rochester have been very bitter because of a poor on-ice product and that’s understandable. I get it. It’s tough to endure missing the playoffs. That said this level or feeling of a sense of entitlement is just outlandish.

Nobody is entitled to anything… The Rochester Americans don’t deserve or are entitled to be affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres anymore than the Norfolk Admirals deserve to be with the Tampa Bay Lightning or the Chicago Wolves with the Atlanta Thrashers.

Portland is affiliated with Buffalo… That’s the way it is. Nobody stole anything from anyone.

As for myself… If it hadn’t been noticed it’s called “Maine Hockey Journal”. Why would I cover Buffalo when you have TBN, Oleans, WGR, WECK, MSG and so on and so on. They all do a wonderful job are fantastic people. I cover what I know which is the Portland Pirates franchise and hockey in the State of Maine. I post here only as a way to make sure people know where they can find news on the Portland Pirates and Buffalo Sabres prospects. I would do the same, and have done so, if it was the Anaheim Ducks, Washington Capitals or any other affiliation.

I’m sorry the Amerks are going through a difficult time, but at some point reality has to set in and people need to just move on. This isn’t the same AHL anymore.

Couture played a ‘Whale’ of a game

Published on: 17th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Hartford, CT – With the Connecticut Whale on the ropes, it was another Derek this time that stepped up to the plate.

Derek Couture scored the game-winning goal in the second period and added an assist as the Whale went on to take Game 3 of the best-of-seven Atlantic Division semifinal with a 3-1 victory over the Portland Pirates before 3,102 at the XL Center on Sunday.

Link>>>>

Missed opportunities may prove costly

Published on: 18th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Special teams very well may be the deciding factor in the outcome of the series between the Portland Pirates and Connecticut Whale.

Entering Game 3, the Pirates were 2-for-12 with the man advantage and finished the night 0-for-8 in a 3-1 loss to the Whale.

Link>>>

Pirates powerless in Hartford

Published on: 19th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Hartford, CT – The road team once again goes home empty.

After dropping the first two games of the AHL Atlantic Division semifinal, the Connecticut Whale tied the best-of-seven series at two games apiece with a 3-1 victory to take Game 4 over the Portland Pirates in front of 2,581 at the XL Center.

Link>>>>

Pirates looking to regain their edge

Published on: 20th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Up two games-to-none in the AHL Atlantic Division semifinal, the Portland Pirates missed a prime opportunity to take control of the best-of-seven series, dropping Game 3 on Sunday, followed Game 4 on Tuesday night, both held at the XL Center.

Link>>>>

Pirates move the Whale to the brink of extinction

Published on: 21st April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Forward Mark Mancari swooped in and saved the day for the Portland Pirates.

After dropping their last two games on the road, the Pirates got back on track and moved to within a game of clinching their first round series against the Connecticut Whale as Mancari scored a goal and added two assists for a 5-4 victory in Game 5 of the best-of-seven series before 6,260 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Thursday night.

Link>>>>

It’s all in a night’s work for Mancari

Published on: 22nd April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Just like that Portland Pirates forward Mark Mancari road into town like a white knight, scored a goal and added two assists and then was off again before for the sun rose over Casco Bay.

Link>>>>

Pirates 'resilient'in clinching series against the Whale

Published on: 23rd April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Hartford, CT – It was a game made for Generation Z.

If you don’t like the results hit the reset button, and that was exactly what the Portland Pirates did. After a rough start, the Pirates found a way to right the ship.

Paul Byron and Mark Parrish each recorded three points on the night as the Pirates put the Connecticut Whale away in Game 6 of the Atlantic Division semifinals with a 6-4 victory in front of 4,514 at the XL Center on Saturday night.

The Pirates win the best-of-seven series, 4-2.

Link>>>>

Archived