Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Kassian is wearing #19. Was that the number he wore in Jrs?

Between the OHL, World Juniors, and the prospects game, he's worn 9, 14, and 19. I suspect that he likes 9, whether it's actually 9 or 19. Those two are likely the most popular numbers for forwards, though.

AHL doesn't keep track of TOI... At least not as a public stat. As for Kassian, he's been average. No real scoring chances, but that's not unsual. He has to get adjusted to the pro game and that will take some time. Luke Adam went through the same thing.

Had a chance to chat with Mr. Andrews during Game 1 of the ADF... As always, he was very gracious and had plenty to say.

Chat with AHL President Dave Andrews

Published on: 3rd May, 2011 by Chris Roy

Link>>>>

Great Stuff Chris,

Interesting how he makes the Rochester/Buffalo point....."no right to talk to"

Sounds like Rochester/Florida is a messy relationship.

Thanks as Always.

Pirates live to fight another day

Special to Maine Hockey Journal by Tom Robinson

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – Dominance on the special teams was one of the biggest reasons the Binghamton Senators went into Tuesday night with a chance to become the first team to land a spot in the Calder Cup conference finals.

Link>>>>>

And Mancari is just tearing it UP in that league. All this talk of him not cutting it in the NHL....I just hope we give him one more chance like we did Gerbe.

There are a LOT of players who "tear it up" in the AHL who can't make the jump to the next level.

And Mancari is just tearing it UP in that league. All this talk of him not cutting it in the NHL....I just hope we give him one more chance like we did Gerbe.

Not saying that it's impossible that he could make the jump, but the "tearing it up in the AHL" carries less weight every year that he spends in the AHL, not more. Nowadays, NHL teams want their prospects to get more of the ice time, so "veteran" AHLers are playing in a younger, less experienced league, making it easier them to figure out how to do well. A first or second year AHLer tearing it up means a lot more than a guy who has been there for four+ years doing it.

With back against the wall the Pirates stay positive

Published on: 5th May, 2011 by Chris Roy

It was lightened mood as the Pirates took to the ice for their later than normal practice at the Cumberland County Civic Center in preparation for Game 6 on Friday night.

That doesnt mean the Pirates are taking the Binghamton Senators lightly has they still hold a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series.

Link>>>

There is some Bingo news in there too... Hit with a potential serious injury.

This drum has been banging a little too long. You do realize Mark Mancari has been an AHL regular for SIX FREAKIN YEARS. Nathan Gerbe spent 2 half seasons in the "A".

Pirates bounced out of the playoffs

Published on: 6th May, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Binghamton Senators head coach Kurt Kleinendorst wasn’t sure how goalie Robin Lehner would responded after a four-goal shellacking in Game 5 of the Atlantic Division Finals.

He liked what he saw in Game 6.

Lehner made 36 saves for his first career playoff shutout as the Senators blanked the Portland Pirates, 3-0, before 2,713 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Friday night to win the best-of-seven Calder Cup series, 4-2.

Link>>>>

It looked like over 2,000 last night and that building only holds 4,000. Plus there was a Sea Dog baseball game going on across town. Better than the 800 or so in Manchester to see a game 7.

Portland is one of America's great small cities. I can totally see young players thanking their stars for the chance to play there as opposed to Rochester. There are so many awesome clubs and restaurants within blocks of CCCC.

One thing I noticed is a big Sabres logo at center ice. Is that something Team Pegula insisted on? Seems like they are very big on reinforcing the Sabres brand

PTR

Archived