Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

I've been wondering about that.

I think Foligno has one more year of junior eligibility (he's just 19)....so that may have weighed into it.

He'll be two years removed from his draft this year, so they have to sign him or lose him. It doesn't seem like too many are signed and then returned to juniors as an overage player. The teams are only allowed to carry 3 20 year olds.

I'm pretty sure he can join the team with a PTO and still be elligible to go back to juniors if he has any junior time left. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

He needs an NHL contract by June or he goes back into the draft. That doesn't stop him from going back to juniors as an overaged player though (unless the CHL has some rule about that which I'm unaware of).

Silver lining in tonight's loss...Portland's run to the Calder Cup just got a lot stronger.

I would think that Enroth, Gragnani, Ellis & Mancari will all be back in Portland for Round 2.

After that game last night, I'm way too lazy to go digging into the specifics, but I believe Gragnani may have to clear waivers to be sent down. Don't quote me on that one though.

Pirates feel they gave the game away

Published on: 28th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates felt as they didn’t lose a game instead they gave the Binghamton Senators a victory in Game 1 of the Atlantic Division Finals.

Zach Smith scored midway into the third period to give the Senators a 3-2 win before a friend’s and family crowd of 1,518 at the Cumberland County Civic Center to take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

Link>>>

Pirates in a hole as the series moves to Binghamton

Published on: 28th April, 2011 by Nathan Fournier

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates find themselves in a very tough situation as the AHL Atlantic Division Finals move to Binghamton after giving up a golden opportunity to tie the best-of-seven series.

Of course, the game wasn’t without its controversy.

Kaspars Daugavins scored two goals as the Binghamton Senators swept the first two games of the best-of-seven series with a 5-3 victory in Game 2 over the Pirates before 1,831 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>

After that game last night, I'm way too lazy to go digging into the specifics, but I believe Gragnani may have to clear waivers to be sent down. Don't quote me on that one though.

Wildcat's article below says Grags wasn't assigned to Portland, so that answers that one.

Yup, would have to clear. He's playing in Worlds.

Pirates in ‘must-win’ mode

Published on: 30th April, 2011 by Chris Roy

It’s a must-win situation for the Portland Pirates.

Down 2-0 in the best-of-seven series, the Pirates now face each game as a Game 7 in order to avoid going into an insurmountable hole against the Binghamton Senators, who headed home with all the momentum.

Link>>>>

Conboy calls BINGO with clutch goal

Special to Maine Hockey Journal

by Tom Robinson

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – The Portland Pirates avoided slipping to the brink of elimination by stealing from the Binghamton Senators’ formula for postseason success.

Trailing in both games and goals, the Pirates pulled out a dramatic Game Three victory, winning, 3-2, on a rare Tim Conboy goal with 12.5 seconds left.

Link>>>>

Here is the article from the Bingo Press & Sun:

Game 3

Photo's from game

Schedule:

Atlantic Division Finals – Series “I” (best-of-7)

A1-Portland Pirates vs. E5-Binghamton Senators

Game 1 – Wed., Apr. 27 – Binghamton 3, PORTLAND 2

Game 2 – Thu., Apr. 28 – Binghamton 5, PORTLAND 3

Game 3 – Sat., Apr. 30 – Portland 3, BINGHAMTON 2

Game 4 – Mon., May 2 – Portland at Binghamton, 7:05

Game 5 – Tue., May 3 – Portland at Binghamton, 7:05

*Game 6 – Fri., May 6 – Binghamton at Portland, 7:00

*Game 7 – Sat., May 7 – Binghamton at Portland, 7:00

Pirates walking the plank in Binghamton

by Tom Robinson

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – Turnovers and penalties got the Portland Pirates into a hole they could not escape Monday night.

Sloppy play in their own zone caused the Pirates to face a series of strong early scoring chances and the Binghamton Senators used three power-play goals to roll to a 6-1 victory in Game Four of their Calder Cup second-round playoff series.

Link>>>>

Pirates walking the plank in Binghamton

by Tom Robinson

Link>>>>

Any word on how Kassian is doing?

According to the box score he had 2 SOG and 2 PIMs and had a +/- of 0 in a 6-1 loss, so he must have been doing something right. I don't see TOI for him though.

Can you weigh in on this, Wildcat?

Archived