Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

Thorton caught him right on the chin. If it was Kaleta throwing that hit it would be 10 games easy. Because it's Thorton, I put the over/under at 2 games.

Unless Thorton has priors, and I don't have time to look it up, I think you're right.

Thorton's not targeting the head. He's standing in front of Perron. Perron is busy looking at his feet. The only reason Thorton hits Perron in the head is because of the size difference.

Thornton easily could have turned that into a body check, had he cared to.

Thorton's not targeting the head. He's standing in front of Perron. Perron is busy looking at his feet. The only reason Thorton hits Perron in the head is because of the size difference.

The way I understand the new "interpretation of the rules" is, it don't matter. Hit someone in the head when they are unaware or likely to be unaware and you get punished.

The way I understand the new "interpretation of the rules" is, it don't matter. Hit someone in the head when they are unaware or likely to be unaware and you get punished.

The way I understand the rules, there are none, first they factor in the name on the back, then the logo on the front, then the weather in Texas over a 3 day span, then the Nasdaq, and finally, if the playerwas facing in a NE direction or SW. After all those factors, they give a 2 game suspension and whine and cry to the fans that they have been taking the required steps to stop these kinds of hits :rolleyes:

Yeah, by bring a step ladder with him out of the penalty box.

Or by bending his waist and/or knees by about five degrees. It's not exactly like Thornton was moving at full speed, either. He had plenty of time to line up a proper hit, if he wanted to.

Or by bending his waist and/or knees by about five degrees. It's not exactly like Thornton was moving at full speed, either. He had plenty of time to line up a proper hit, if he wanted to.

Or Perron could have picked his head up. Or Thorton could have cradled him down to the ground and told him and bed time story.

Or Perron could have picked his head up. Or Thorton could have cradled him down to the ground and told him and bed time story.

Neither of which address the issue of whether Thornton could have made a clean check, which he could.

Neither of which address the issue of whether Thornton could have made a clean check, which he could.

What does that have to do with the rule?

I don't see how this is a blindside hit, unless you factor in the position of the "victim's" head. If a player is skating north-south and turns his head to the east, and is hit from the front, is that a blindside hit?

I don't see how this is a blindside hit, unless you factor in the position of the "victim's" head. If a player is skating north-south and turns his head to the east, and is hit from the front, is that a blindside hit?

Read what I was responding to. Read the whole thing. Tell me where I referenced anything about a blindside rule.

Read what I was responding to. Read the whole thing. Tell me where I referenced anything about a blindside rule.

The second part of my post wasn't directed toward you.

I took the discussion as, "Should he be suspended?"

Do you want him to be suspended for something that isn't against the rules? (But he was penalized for the hit; maybe I just don't know what a blindside hit is.)

Yeah it is blindside.

Perron was skating north-south, Thorton came in parallel to the red line from the outside. Perron was looking back over his inside shoulder the entire time Thorton was skating up to him. Thorton was out of Perron's field of vision, aka blindside. This is exactly the kind of hit the league is trying to phase out of the game. Last year the league would have ruled the hit OK. This year, no dice.

BTW- That D-man that made the pass needs the sh!t beat out of him by a teammate. That was a suicide pass all the way.

Just so you all know, I am not making a value judgement on whether or not I think he deserves to be suspended. I'm just saying that this hit is exactly the kind of hit that they are trying to eliminate, coming in from outside a players line of vision and hitting them in the head.

The second part of my post wasn't directed toward you.

I took the discussion as, "Should he be suspended?"

Do you want him to be suspended for something that isn't against the rules? (But he was penalized for the hit; maybe I just don't know what a blindside hit is.)

Sorry, I'm especially argumentative today.

He should have been suspended for the hit. If rule 48 doesn't apply, there are others (e.g., 42) that do.

BTW- That D-man that made the pass needs the sh!t beat out of him by a teammate. That was a suicide pass all the way.

And this is the exact reason why the "keep your head up" argument is complete BS. If any player in that spot sees the hit coming, side steps it, leading to a free turnover for the other team, he is completely crucified by the fans and his coach.

Archived