[OT] The Bills

SabresneedaCup

To answer your question I'll take Andrew Luck or Ryan Mallett as my young franchise QB. Is it guaranteed? No. We saw today again what we get with Fitzpatrick. He's a average and inconsistent quarterback. You don't build your franchise around a QB like that. Fitzpatrick is a constant, you know what you get. Luck and Mallett are variables which can turn out extremely well for the Bills. Again, no guarantees. Just a better chance.

If there is a defensive player out there who is a big time play maker I'm going with that. I mean you can't even name one of the QBs you want, you just toss out the two names that are getting the media attention. This team is so bad defensively that they need help. I'm not calling Fitz great, but he seems to have room to grow and he has the mental part of the game down, imo. Sure, if there is a QB that they feel is a must take, then do it, but the track record of first round QBs isn't exactly high

If there is a defensive player out there who is a big time play maker I'm going with that. I mean you can't even name one of the QBs you want, you just toss out the two names that are getting the media attention. This team is so bad defensively that they need help. I'm not calling Fitz great, but he seems to have room to grow and he has the mental part of the game down, imo. Sure, if there is a QB that they feel is a must take, then do it, but the track record of first round QBs isn't exactly high

The track record for all first round picks isn't very high no matter the position. You need look no further than Maybin, McCargo, Whitner and Posluszny to prove that point.

Luck and Mallett are getting the media attention because they are really good and play the highest profile position. They are both juniors and if neither come out I have already said I would go elsewhere with the pick. I would even try to trade out of it. If one is there you have to take them. It's been long enough, it's time to settle the position and Luck or Mallett will give you a better chance of settling the position than Fitzpatrick will long term.

The track record for all first round picks isn't very high no matter the position. You need look no further than Maybin, McCargo, Whitner and Posluszny to prove that point.

Luck and Mallett are getting the media attention because they are really good and play the highest profile position. They are both juniors and if neither come out I have already said I would go elsewhere with the pick. I would even try to trade out of it. If one is there you have to take them. It's been long enough, it's time to settle the position and Luck or Mallett will give you a better chance of settling the position than Fitzpatrick will long term.

Totally agree. They need players, not one guy is coming in to save them

Or just disallowed. It should not be a part of football.

Yeah, it's terrible. And I've always felt that way, not just today. I don't know why the league thinks it's good to have apparent winning kicks wiped out.

What the heck was Steve Tasker thinking praising the timeout up and down so forcefully as a "good timeout." How good would it have been had Lindell missed?!

Fitz has nuts the size of Gala apples, that's all I have to say about that guy. Biggest since Jimbo was here.

Totally agree. They need players, not one guy is coming in to save them

You do realize if they pick a QB #1 they still get to use the rest of their picks? If they can come out of the 2011 draft with a Franchise QB and two or three defensive starters, or at least contributors, that is a huge step forward.

To answer your question I'll take Andrew Luck or Ryan Mallett as my young franchise QB. Is it guaranteed? No. We saw today again what we get with Fitzpatrick. He's a average and inconsistent quarterback. You don't build your franchise around a QB like that. Fitzpatrick is a constant, you know what you get. Luck and Mallett are variables which can turn out extremely well for the Bills. Again, no guarantees. Just a better chance.

Of course no guarantees. I just hope that at least one of them enters the draft. If not, I don't want the Bills wasting time on the second-tier guys (Locker, Newton, etc.).

Of course no guarantees. I just hope that at least one of them enters the draft. If not, I don't want the Bills wasting time on the second-tier guys (Locker, Newton, etc.).

Sadly for the players, if they don't come out the Bills will likely be in position to draft them in 2012 as well. I agree, if they are not in the draft then try like hell to get of that #1 slot. If they can't than CB Prince Amukamara or WR A.J. Green may be the best options.

Sadly for the players, if they don't come out the Bills will likely be in position to draft them in 2012 as well. I agree, if they are not in the draft then try like hell to get of that #1 slot. If they can't than CB Prince Amukamara or WR A.J. Green may be the best options.

See, there are top-five picks in two successive years. You get it. Many don't. If Luck and Mallett stay in school, take Carimi or some stud DL or LB instead. And then, yeah, Luck and Mallett are in for 2012.

See, there are top-five picks in two successive years. You get it. Many don't. If Luck and Mallett stay in school, take Carimi or some stud DL or LB instead. And then, yeah, Luck and Mallett are in for 2012.

From reading mock drafts online I get the feeling the top talent is at the skilled positions not the trenches.

From reading mock drafts online I get the feeling the top talent is at the skilled positions not the trenches.

So if Mallett and Luck stay in school (they can), what would you want to happen? For me, it's Carimi, if the Bills have the first pick. Good OL, and freaking SMART. I do not want to see a top three pick used for Locker, Ponder, whatever his name from Auburn, or any other of the pretender QBs.

I've never paid much attention to the NFL draft. When was the last time a LB went 1st overall? And yes, I could just google it, but ######, you people are my google right now.

I've never paid much attention to the NFL draft. When was the last time a LB went 1st overall? And yes, I could just google it, but ######, you people are my google right now.

According to Google, there have been 4 in the history of the draft:

Chuck Bednarik (1949, HOFer)

Tommy Nobis (1966, Pro Bowler)

Tom Cousineau (1979, drafted by Buffalo but opted to play in the CFL)

Aundray Bruce (1988)

According to Google, there have been 4 in the history of the draft:

Chuck Bednarik (1949, HOFer)

Tommy Nobis (1966, Pro Bowler)

Tom Cousineau (1979, drafted by Buffalo but opted to play in the CFL)

Aundray Bruce (1988)

Cousineau, btw, came back to the NFL, was signed by the Bills and then traded to the Browns for the pick that became...

Jim Kelly.

So if Mallett and Luck stay in school (they can), what would you want to happen? For me, it's Carimi, if the Bills have the first pick. Good OL, and freaking SMART. I do not want to see a top three pick used for Locker, Ponder, whatever his name from Auburn, or any other of the pretender QBs.

This is where I wish they didn't take Spiller last draft. Trading down and picking up Mark Ingram if he came out if I didn't have Spiller is how I would go. Since I do have Spiller I would try to just accumulate picks.

This is where I wish they didn't take Spiller last draft. Trading down and picking up Mark Ingram if he came out if I didn't have Spiller is how I would go. Since I do have Spiller I would try to just accumulate picks.

Fine, but going forward, what would you want to happen if Luck and Mallett are out?

Shawn Merriman, former pro bowl linebacker for San Diego. Career went straight down hill after he was busted for performance enhancing drugs. He has been mostly injured/ineffective when not injured since his suspension.

I am surprised they are pursuing him. Goes to show just how bad our linebacker situation is.

Archived