[OT] The Bills

SabresneedaCup

I found an interesting tidbit buried as a link within today's MMQB by Peter King. This article is talking about misc. football items and the rebuilding of the Atlanta Falcons. It was written by Dan Pompei for the National Football Post. It says:

"The Falcons were built to be resilient. In his three years with the team, general manager Thomas Dimitroff has drafted 13 players who were team captains in college. And Dimitroff has made it a point to acquire veterans who are leaders as well."

You can read the article here for proper context.

But this is intriguing to me. Hard to argue with the notion that College Captains might make better character guys, better football players than the stud wideout with a rap sheet. I know this isn't rocket science, but in essence it says better to have a team of Peyton Manning types than Randy Moss types over the long haul.

You probably didn't get to see the Falcons Bucs game yesterday because the networks bought Dallas-Indy, but trust me, it was a good football game. Those Falcons are tough. There is a lot to like about a team that tossed away Michael Vick (no I'm not editorializing on that decision, just stating facts), the GM and Head Coach and turned their franchise around in three years.

But if you want to rebuild the Sabres and the Bills, maybe a new paradigm is in order. How about trying something like this?

How anybody can think that the Bills should put Fitz in the position that he thinks he's playing for his job next year is beyond me. Ever think that Fitz is playing better because he knows the job is his for the entire season since Trent was canned? Worst rushing defense by far in the entire league and we need to draft a franchise QB............... right. Put all your eggs in one basket, makes sense to me. I find it odd that the only criticism Fitz gets is from BFLO fans. Actually, no I don't.

Not at all. Just mourning the fact that a chance at acquiring a franchise quarterback is dead. At what coast? A win against a pathetic Browns team and a pathetic Lions team? This is one of the all-time worst moments in Buffalo Bills history.

I've always called the Great Lakes area the North Coast.

How anybody can think that the Bills should put Fitz in the position that he thinks he's playing for his job next year is beyond me. Ever think that Fitz is playing better because he knows the job is his for the entire season since Trent was canned? Worst rushing defense by far in the entire league and we need to draft a franchise QB............... right. Put all your eggs in one basket, makes sense to me. I find it odd that the only criticism Fitz gets is from BFLO fans. Actually, no I don't.

He's just not good enough. If you were happy with the 7-9 Dick Jouron years by all means build a team around Fitzpatrick. Might as well build a defense around Poz and Whitner. They are all the same player. They are not good enough. You need difference makers. The Bills have none. They lost a chance at acquiring one. The only hope now is for Luck to stay in school one more year and the Bills to finish with the number one pick next year.

He's just not good enough. If you were happy with the 7-9 Dick Jouron years by all means build a team around Fitzpatrick. Might as well build a defense around Poz and Whitner. They are all the same player. They are not good enough. You need difference makers. The Bills have none. They lost a chance at acquiring one. The only hope now is for Luck to stay in school one more year and the Bills to finish with the number one pick next year.

Fitz wasn't the problem when Jauron was coach......... Jauron was the problem when Jauron was coach.

Fitz and Edwards knew they were playing for their job every time they started a game. You don't think both of them played to not lose instead of trying to win in order to keep their job? Maybe it's just me, but IMO a QB is going to play differently when he knows the coach won't put his backup in the following week if he has a bad game.

Jauron and his gameplan was the most pathetic nauseating style of football I have ever seen.

Fitz wasn't the problem when Jauron was coach......... Jauron was the problem when Jauron was coach.

Fitz and Edwards knew they were playing for their job every time they started a game. You don't think both of them played to not lose instead of trying to win in order to keep their job? Maybe it's just me, but IMO a QB is going to play differently when he knows the coach won't put his backup in the following week if he has a bad game.

Jauron and his gameplan was the most pathetic nauseating style of football I have ever seen.

That doesn't make Fitzpatrick a franchise quarterback. None of what you said does. I've seen enough of Fitzpatrick, good and bad, that I know this franchise needs better, much better. Again, unless the goal is just to be 7-9 or 8-8, Fitzpatrick isn't good enough.

Or we can turn around and draft a QB and he turns out to be a bust....... then it'll set the entire team back another 3-4 years.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how much better this team would be right now with a 'better' QB.

I guess you haven't watched many Atlanta or Baltimore games lately.

Any pick at any position can be a bust. Williams, McCargo, Whitner, Maybin and Spiller are all examples. For every bust at every position there is a player that has made a impact.

If a quality QB doesn't make them better then that is more true for other positions.

Or we can turn around and draft a QB and he turns out to be a bust....... then it'll set the entire team back another 3-4 years.

Yes, they have a bad habit of drafting poorly, but if they somehow got the #1 pick and took Luck (assuming that he comes out), they'd be following the draft recommendation of every expert out there. If he busts, then it would just be really bad look. However, I'd be willing to find out. Besides, set back from what? They're bad now and there isn't an alternative to drafting a potential franchise quarterback that gives them a better chance of changing that.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how much better this team would be right now with a 'better' QB.

Getting a potential franchise quarterback isn't about being better right now; it's about (potentially) being better for the next decade, maybe more. They have a lot of holes to fill, so it may take a year or two to get the rest of the pieces. Nothing they do would "get 'em there" next season.

I guess you haven't watched many Atlanta or Baltimore games lately.

Any pick at any position can be a bust. Williams, McCargo, Whitner, Maybin and Spiller are all examples. For every bust at every position there is a player that has made a impact.

If a quality QB doesn't make them better then that is more true for other positions.

You can't say that Spiller is a bust, yet. Wait until we have any semblance of a line to make that judgment.

As to picking first, I'm going to play hockey right now. I may trip and fall head first into the boards and die tonight. At least I'll die a little happier that the Bills won today. I'm certainly not going to wish that the Bills are that bad next year so that they can get Luck if he stays. Good God! Are you insane? That's two years from now!

There are plenty of teams that are good that haven't picked first in a long time. It's not the only way to build a good team.

You can't say that Spiller is a bust, yet. Wait until we have any semblance of a line to make that judgment.

As to picking first, I'm going to play hockey right now. I may trip and fall head first into the boards and die tonight. At least I'll die a little happier that the Bills won today. I'm certainly not going to wish that the Bills are that bad next year so that they can get Luck if he stays. Good God! Are you insane? That's two years from now!

There are plenty of teams that are good that haven't picked first in a long time. It's not the only way to build a good team.

Fred Jackson has no issues running behind this line. This is another wasted pick.

Yes, they have a bad habit of drafting poorly, but if they somehow got the #1 pick and took Luck (assuming that he comes out), they'd be following the draft recommendation of every expert out there. If he busts, then it would just be really bad look. However, I'd be willing to find out. Besides, set back from what? They're bad now and there isn't an alternative to drafting a potential franchise quarterback that gives them a better chance of changing that.

Getting a potential franchise quarterback isn't about being better right now; it's about (potentially) being better for the next decade, maybe more. They have a lot of holes to fill, so it may take a year or two to get the rest of the pieces. Nothing they do would "get 'em there" next season.

Haha, yeah. In this day and age if professional sports, there is no such thing as preparing for the future. Instant gratification reigns supreme. I've seen how Bills fans react to a couple of bad games, I'd hate to see how they'd react to a couple more years of rebuilding........ again.

Typical Bills fans............ give them a million dollars and they'd bitch about how you gave it to them.

Archived