Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

Just looked it up it's actually both.

48 hours from the end of hearing to fax and e-mail both parties involved.

48 hours from that point for the team to walk away or accept.

Only if the club doesn't have any other arbitration eligible players coming up on the hearing schedule. They've got 48 hours from resolution of the last player's status to decide on all their arbitration awards.

My question is, how many lawyers do we have on this site that have actually passed the bar exame?

Any of them Business Attorneys?

Just lookin :D

Not a lawyer until you pass a bar. Until then, you are just a person with a really expensive degree.

Not a lawyer until you pass a bar. Until then, you are just a person with a really expensive degree.

correct.

and on a side note to the main topic, I read that Timmy may have been looking for 1.4 million and the Sabres were offering 700k on a 1 year contract.

I have to wonder, a 1 year contract at that reported amount, was the organization looking for him to step up his game and reach his potential? If that is the case, do they even realize that Lindy played him in a defensive line role for most of the season?

Hmmmm.................something tells me Kennedy is very expendable, maybe in a trade.

correct.

and on a side note to the main topic, I read that Timmy may have been looking for 1.4 million and the Sabres were offering 700k on a 1 year contract.

I have to wonder, a 1 year contract at that reported amount, was the organization looking for him to step up his game and reach his potential? If that is the case, do they even realize that Lindy played him in a defensive line role for most of the season?

Hmmmm.................something tells me Kennedy is very expendable, maybe in a trade.

I hate this kind of "journalism."

Bucky writes: Buffalo was believed to be offering about $700,000.... Kennedy was believed to be looking for more than $1 million per season, perhaps upwards of $1.4 million.

Why the passive voice? WHO "believes" all that? Bucky? Bucky's dog? Bucky's buddies at the bar? Eklund journalism. Hate it.

correct.

Look at the deal Gilbert Brule just signed. 2yr $1.85M per season to avoid arbitration. He's only played 222 NHL games and had 37 points (17G & 20 A) last year. While Kennedy has only one full season under his belt with 26 points (10G & 16A), you'd have to imagine that based on Brule's deal, Kennedy's going to get somewhere betwen $1-1.5M.

Brule: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4379

Kennedy: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5248

actually, you're a lawyer once you take your j.d., you're not an attorney (at law) until you get your license (which requires that you pass a bar exam).

Any more than none is too many.

appears that we're overfull then.

Bucky writes: Buffalo was believed to be offering about $700,000.... Kennedy was believed to be looking for more than $1 million per season, perhaps upwards of $1.4 million.

Why the passive voice? WHO "believes" all that? Bucky? Bucky's dog? Bucky's buddies at the bar? Eklund journalism. Hate it.

And are you willing to change this board to a "real name only" site? If you eliminate any reporting that doesn't list its source, you will have a very thin paper or an internet that is not reaching its max capacity.

And are you willing to change this board to a "real name only" site? If you eliminate any reporting that doesn't list its source, you will have a very thin paper or an internet that is not reaching its max capacity.

I don't see what this board has to do with it.

It's not that Bucky didn't list his source, it's that he has no sources. If he had a source, he would have written, "According to a source close to the negotiations who wishes to remain anonymous..."

He's just printing a rumor he heard.

correct.

Their offer is the qualifying offer required to retain his rights. It was originally done as just a procedural thing, but now that he's gone to arbitration, that sounds like the perfect starting point for a guy with his lack of experience. He probably should have just accepted the QO, but he probably wants a one-way deal out of this whole thing. That and a minor raise and it pays off for him.

Would it have been better if he had written "common sense says that Kennedy wants..." because that's exactly what this is.

I don't see what this board has to do with it.

It's not that Bucky didn't list his source, it's that he has no sources. If he had a source, he would have written, "According to a source close to the negotiations who wishes to remain anonymous..."

He's just printing a rumor he heard.

I don't think this is rumor based. He is quoting the regular player pay rise for young players. So the standard package is the bases for this. There is no bases to believe Buffalo offered anything than the quality offer they had to make to keep Kennedy's rights for the team. They did already but Kennedy didn't sign off on it. But that is just my thinking about it.

Still no word but I'll take a guess a 1.25 million, two way deal, two years. FWIW, Paille signed for 1.15 and has similiar numbers (although more years in league).

you think so? what would the point of that be, as a practical matter?

it's july, so i can recall that a two-way deal doesn't dictate whether a guy must clear waivers, but i can't recall the criteria or information that would tell me whether kennedy would need to clear. but i suspect that he would need to clear, given the # of games he's played -- yes? no?

Still no word but I'll take a guess a 1.25 million, two way deal, two years. FWIW, Paille signed for 1.15 and has similiar numbers (although more years in league).

I have a question about this - for a player with less experience, does the arbitrator rule that he gets more money than a player with similar numbers but more experience (Kennedy vs. Paille)? Is this on potential upside, or do AHL/juniors numbers come into play as well?

LETS PLAY........................THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

I think you over bid chz, atleast I hope Bob Barker tells me so.

For a young, yet to be determined what role he will play, Left Winger, with under 30 points at 24 years old in his rookie season.

I'll bid 1.05 million for 1 year.

(Come on Bob Barker, tell me I'm the closest)

Isn't it odd, already past the 24 hour mark on this 48 hour time limit to hear from the arbitrator and nothing.

Does this normally happen or are the decisions normally handed out in the first day or next day?

Not odd at all. The decisions very often come back a full 48 hrs after the hearing. That way both the team and player have more time to work a deal out on their own.

And, the arbitrator knows that at least 1 side will be unhappy with his decision; coming back w/ a result 2 hours after the hearing is in poor form. ("Your case was so pathetic, I had no reason to fully consider it", followed a few months later by "why am I being dropped from the list of arbitrators?")

10 goals and 16 assists and people are talking over a million a year? What a joke. With those numbers he should owe the Sabres money. :doh:

Ok, I'll bite. For a first year NHL player who played primarily on a checking line, some of it at center and some at winger, with no major claim to fame or high draft ranking, what kind of stats were you expecting?

Ok, I'll bite. For a first year NHL player who played primarily on a checking line, some of it at center and some at winger, with no major claim to fame or high draft ranking, what kind of stats were you expecting?

I don't think his stats are the issue, rather the 'amount to be paid' being discussed.

I don't think his stats are the issue, rather the 'amount to be paid' being discussed.

well, he's basing the 'amount to be paid' on his stats..

10 goals and 16 assists and people are talking over a million a year? What a joke. With those numbers he should owe the Sabres money. :doh:

you think so? what would the point of that be, as a practical matter?

it's july, so i can recall that a two-way deal doesn't dictate whether a guy must clear waivers, but i can't recall the criteria or information that would tell me whether kennedy would need to clear. but i suspect that he would need to clear, given the # of games he's played -- yes? no?

Sorry, meant one way. I think that's the biggest holdup and why they went to arby's in the first place.

Archived