Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

WOW!

Decent price for him. Who is the Blues GM? Good Job To Him.

I'd say the money was just about right. We have to remember that he is essentially an unproven backup with two good playoffs series under his belt. He hasn't yet proven that he can carry the load of being a starter.

I totally agree, but to be fair, I think most will agree that Vanek is not worth 7 mil -- they also will agree that the front office just absolutely could not let him go after losing Danny and Chris. It was a sticky situation and looking back, I'd rather have the draft picks, but you can't really blame Darcy for that one. hindsight is 20/20

Right.

Montreal signed Alex Auld and Curtis Sanford on 7/1. So it should be Auld's job with Sanford waiting in the wings.

Interesting moves. Bring in new blood on Free Agency day, and then get ready to move a body or two.

I just don't see Price/Auld being a 1/1A combination like Miller/Biron was.

I apologize if this has already been posted but I saw this on "Hendricks Hockey" posted July 6 (http://www.hendrickshockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2908:hendricks-saysrumors-76&catid=40:the-rumors&Itemid=86)

Buffalo is apparently testing the market to see what Thomas Vanek could get them in return or if anyone is interested.

Considering it comes from Hendricks' "rumors" section I don't put much stock in it. However, from what I've seen he's a more reliable source for information than Eklund on "Hockey Buzz."

I apologize if this has already been posted but I saw this on "Hendricks Hockey" posted July 6 (http://www.hendrickshockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2908:hendricks-saysrumors-76&catid=40:the-rumors&Itemid=86)

Considering it comes from Hendricks' "rumors" section I don't put much stock in it. However, from what I've seen he's a more reliable source for information than Eklund on "Hockey Buzz."

I would guess a team like the Kings would be all over Vanek if available. They have the money and are ready to take that next step.

I would guess a team like the Kings would be all over Vanek if available. They have the money and are ready to take that next step.

If they are willing to part with Dustin Brown, and the Kings won't, I'd be all it.

I've never been a big fan of TV but he really showed some guile and the end of last season. I'd be hesitant to move him unless the return was overwhelming.

If they are willing to part with Dustin Brown, and the Kings won't, I'd be all it.

I've never been a big fan of TV but he really showed some guile and the end of last season. I'd be hesitant to move him unless the return was overwhelming.

Actually lots of rumors of Kings being unhappy with Brown's development.

The Kings have lost out on every player they've been chasing so far this offseason, Martin, Hamhuis, and Kovalchuk. They've got a ton of money and something is going to give out there sooner or later.

The Kings have lost out on every player they've been chasing so far this offseason, Martin, Hamhuis, and Kovalchuk. They've got a ton of money and something is going to give out there sooner or later.

Has the potential for a good old fashion hockey trade where each team feels like they got the best of the deal and it doesn't involve disgruntled players or cap issues. :thumbsup:

Don't get me excited like that. Is straight up fair value for both sides?

No way. Dustin Brown is a good player, but not the caliber of TV. There would have to be a lot more coming back, and I don't mean picks and prospects - we would need players who can put the puck in the net.

Here are Dustin Brown's stats as a pro:

2005-06 Los Angeles Kings NHL 79 14 14 28 80 -- -- -- -- --

2006-07 Los Angeles Kings NHL 81 17 29 46 54 -- -- -- -- --

2007-08 Los Angeles Kings NHL 78 33 27 60 55 -- -- -- -- --

2008-09 Los Angeles Kings NHL 80 24 29 53 64 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Los Angeles Kings NHL 82 24 32 56 41 6 1 4 5 6

I know, he has intangibles. That makes him a poor man's Chris Drury.

I am not TV's biggest fan, either, but you are right - something came alive in him during the playoffs. He played with a desperation and intensity I have never seen from him, and seemed to put the team on his back. I would be very hesitant to move him right now, and it would take a lot more than Brown to get me to do it.

Now Connolly/Stafford/Gerbe, on the other hand, send them all 3!

Has the potential for a good old fashion hockey trade where each team feels like they got the best of the deal and it doesn't involve disgruntled players or cap issues. :thumbsup:

snivel snivel

voice quivering a little

"You just don't see trades like that among the organEYEzations of the NATIONal Hockey League anymore. When you look at how the market is positioned and the economics of the game has changed, the chance of it is nil. However I'm always looking to try and improve this hockey team, which is very good and going to get better over time. I consider every possible opportunity as they might arise."

So that means we'll soon see a post saying we should go after Jack Johnson. It's only a matter of time. Seriously though, if they were ever actually considering shopping Brown, he's got one ###### of a cap friendly contract, 4 more years with a $3.175 million cap hit. I think a lot of teams would not mind getting their hands on that.

Looks like he's going to Russia, 10 million a season. NOT confirmed, nothing with Kovy ever is.

I posted before about a friend who has a lake house next door to a former team mate of Kovy. Apparently Kovy complained often about the expense of chartering a flight to bring his squeeze back and forth from Russia. KHL would be a legitimate possibility for him with the salary cap in the states.

Is the KHL making enough money to sustain the salaries they are paying? Or is it all funded by oil money and profitability/sustainability isn't even a consideration?

I posted before about a friend who has a lake house next door to a former team mate of Kovy. Apparently Kovy complained often about the expense of chartering a flight to bring his squeeze back and forth from Russia. KHL would be a legitimate possibility for him with the salary cap in the states.

Is the KHL making enough money to sustain the salaries they are paying? Or is it all funded by oil money and profitability/sustainability isn't even a consideration?

Oil money and local governments. The big man tells the sponsor who they are going to sponsor and how much they need to give the team. None of the teams turn a profit, more like losing anywhere between 15 and 50 million a year.

Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

Career stats:

Rob Niedermayer

Center

Born Dec 28 1974 -- Cassiar, BC

Height 6.02 -- Weight 200

Selected by Florida Panthers round 1 #5 overall 1993 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1990-91 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 71 24 26 50 8 12 3 7 10 2

1991-92 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 71 32 46 78 97 4 2 3 5 2

1992-93 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 52 43 34 77 67 -- -- -- -- --

1993-94 Florida Panthers NHL 65 9 17 26 51 -- -- -- -- --

1994-95 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 13 9 15 24 14 -- -- -- -- --

1994-95 Florida Panthers NHL 48 4 6 10 36 -- -- -- -- --

1995-96 Florida Panthers NHL 82 26 35 61 107 22 5 3 8 12

1996-97 Florida Panthers NHL 60 14 24 38 54 5 2 1 3 6

1997-98 Florida Panthers NHL 33 8 7 15 41 -- -- -- -- --

1998-99 Florida Panthers NHL 82 18 33 51 50 -- -- -- -- --

1999-00 Florida Panthers NHL 81 10 23 33 46 4 1 0 1 6

2000-01 Florida Panthers NHL 67 12 20 32 50 -- -- -- -- --

2001-02 Calgary Flames NHL 57 6 14 20 49 -- -- -- -- --

2002-03 Calgary Flames NHL 54 8 10 18 42 -- -- -- -- --

2002-03 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 12 2 2 4 15 21 3 7 10 18

2003-04 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 55 12 16 28 34 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 76 15 24 39 89 16 1 3 4 10

2006-07 Anaheim Ducks NHL 82 5 11 16 77 21 5 5 10 39

2007-08 Anaheim Ducks NHL 78 8 8 16 54 2 0 0 0 0

2008-09 Anaheim Ducks NHL 79 14 7 21 42 13 0 3 3 12

2009-10 New Jersey Devils NHL 71 10 12 22 45 5 0 0 0 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals 1082 181 269 450 882 109 17 22 39 109

looks like a depth/experience/role model signing. Can't argue with more than 1,000 games played and a cup ring. Only one season of more than 20 goals, and that was 15 years ago.

Can't say as I noticed him at all last year, watched him play some with the ducks in years past (late night center ice package!). He has size, plays tough on the puck, but wasn't an impressive player, just a solid NHL vet. This is likely a one year contract, and I hope even that doesn't turn out to be too long.

All things considered, I would rather have his brother.

Archived