I Really Never Thought Badly Towards Canadian Fans

CallawaySabres

See, that's just it. I can't look at Canadian NHLers or American NHLers as Canadians or Americans. They're all NHLers. That's why the NHL in the Olympics doesn't work for me.

I do not see them in that light either. It is ironic though how the neighbors to the north are beating it's our game drum, acting pompous, feeling that they are entitled to the gold medal. It is rather silly, faux national pride.If the US wins does the entire population of Canada go on suicide watch?

We have real beer in Canada.

We know more about the USA than most Americans know about their own country. (See Jaywalking on Leno for an example)

We watch American network TV, yet 95% of the time it's "welcome to the show, America." Is it so hard to say North America?

Just want to hit on these three. 1, honestly, we just don't think about Canada that much, hence "America" instead of north. Thats not intended as an insult, just an insight. 2, Jaywalking is NOT the place to go for legitimate polls of what Americans know, haha. 3. If you're comparing with Coors and Bud, then yeah, but microbrews that are getting big down here are starting to compete with European beers in international competitions, and are winning.

Not that I picked the three things that are least contreversial, and least on topic, lol.

In reality, I don't really mind the chest thumping with Canada about hockey more than I do the Norwegians with the biathalon or the Danes with speedskating. Enjoy yourselves, do what you do best, but if you lose be prepared for some taunting coming back across the border.

Americans can be ######, but so can Canadians and everyone else. We're just get put on center stage more because we are the superpower right now, and everybody likes to knock the top guy on the pedastal off once in a while.

Jaywalking was meant as a joke, partly. I realize that you are all brought up to learn about America and that the rest of the world is secondary. I get that. But I do find it ridiculous that someone from Washington State once said to me, "do you live in an igloo?" The location for this comment was in White Rock, BC, which is roughly 5 miles from the US/Canada border. The person was in our country, lived within 100 miles from White Rock and honestly thought we lived in igloos???

Anyway, I don't think if the US wins it will be a miracle like one poster suggested. The game is NHL all stars against NHL all stars and it could go either way. If the US wins, it will suck for us, but we'll get over it. I'd say I'd be over it within 24 hours, unlike the feeling I had when Brett Hull scored the no goal. That took quite awhile to get over.

But if Canada wins, and the fans taunt, don't be upset and don't be bitter. It's sport. Game on.

The irony of this thread is pretty thick. There are s###head Americans, there are s###head Canadians...shocker.

Oh, and I personally loved the cigars and beer. Would it have been better if they stood there all corporate like, sporting their IOC approved apparel? Let's just hope that they were at least drinking a beer that sponsored the Olympics. Now I'm craving a Kokanee.

They just won the biggest tournament in the world for the third consecutive time, let them party.

As for the rest of the stuff, booing a country's national anthem is classless (unless its the French) and especially if you're booing the country that's been your best friend internationally, which is the case for both Canada and the USA. Personally, I think "Oh, Canada" is a beautiful anthem (2nd most beautiful of course) and I sing along whenever I'm at a hockey game. I like to think that the whole, "without America's military Canada wouldn't exist" jokes are more the product of good old fashioned ribbing because our closest ally is also our biggest rival. Because that is obviously not the case, 14,000 young Canadian men stormed Juno beach on D-Day, and the Canadian's still have boots on the sand with us in Afghanistan. I love to #%^$#! talk more than anyone I know, and I get out of hand sometimes, but disparaging the Canadian military is just ignorant.

Making fun of their high taxes and funny accents will never get old though, and I am sure I will use the term "America's Hat" more than once tomorrow afternoon. Like SwampD said there are ###### in every country, and a good old border war always brings em out. I'll be one of em, but I know that Canada and the Canadian people will always be our closest friends, except for Hit the Brakes Heatley. I hate him. And I hope we destroy those Canadians on their home ice, with the refs giving them all the calls. Viva America!

How dare Canadians be passionate about their sport. How dare they.

Win or lose on Sunday, hockey will ALWAYS be our game. Canada is the hockey capital of the world and winning or losing a gold medal doesn't change that.

Get off your soapbox.

Just once when you watch your American broadcasts on your teams or athletes, try looking at it from another country's perspective.

Canada gets passionate about very little and I won't apologize for our love for the game. But Americans shove their patriotism down everyone's throat in almost everything they do.

Get over yourself. Let Canada enjoy their games and their hockey team. Just be thankful that Canada loves hockey as much as they do because without us, there is no NHL! Period. Our country loves hockey in all corners of the map. Your country likes bowling better. Shame on you.

Good luck on Sunday. USA will probably win, but that's ok if they do. It won't matter in the end, just like it didn't matter when you won the World Cup of hockey. Canada's game. Now and always.

Like some poster's have already said their are sh!t heads on both sides of the border. It doesn't bother me that your fans have pride and root for their team. It's the attitudes and mean spirited rancor and lack of respect for the competition more than anything. The media and Canadian team itself IMO has not shown much outward respect to any of the teams/players they have faced. Whether on the ice with slew foots and body slams or in the hand shake line at the end or the fans attending or the press covering.

Be a gracious host, celebrate the competition not just the end result, take pride in the fact so many other countries emulate and aspire to do well in undeniably your native sport but act like you've been there before and show some class and respect for the teams and nations your facing.

Let me be clear. Booing the anthem is a disgrace. PERIOD.

As for making fun of our accents, come on. I'll gladly take a Newfie's accent over a southern ###### accent any day. Gawd awful to hear a southern accent. Sounds so "simple" as my grandpappy used to say.

Like some poster's have already said their are sh!t heads on both sides of the border. It doesn't bother me that your fans have pride and root for their team. It's the attitudes and mean spirited rancor and lack of respect for the competition more than anything. The media and Canadian team itself IMO has not shown much outward respect to any of the teams/players they have faced. Whether on the ice with slew foots and body slams or in the hand shake line at the end or the fans attending or the press covering.

Be a gracious host, celebrate the competition not just the end result, take pride in the fact so many other countries emulate and aspire to do well in undeniably your native sport but act like you've been there before and show some class and respect for the teams and nations your facing.

Very well stated, Mr. Dudley. I and every other serious hockey fan knows that Canada is the home of hockey and is the most talented team assembled. They are a fantastic team. And their fans, like ours if it were the same case, SHOULD celebrate that. It's a wonderful thing.

But this is the Olympics. Fans should NEVER deride any opponent by sarcastically chanting the name of a player. That's bush.

This is the Olympics. Fans should never start chanting who they want to play in the NEXT game BEFORE the current game is over. Think that didn't piss of the Slovaks to a certain degree. Dmitra hits that open net and that chant really looks stupid.

Ths is the Olympics. All countries and their respective athletes should be honored whether they win a gold medal or come in last. It's an honor to represent your country, your sport, your personage on the grandest athletic stage in the world. That deserves the respect of the people attending. To the fullest.

Their was a swimmer in the Athens game in '06 from some poor African nation. In his race, he finished a FULL 5 minutes after the second to last place finisher left the pool. EVERY fan in the stands stayed to cheer him on. Every other competitor did the same. He struggled his ass off to finish. But finish he did and he got a standing O. That was HIS Olympic moment. HIS gold medal. That captured the spirit of the games more than anything I've ever witnessed.

The Canadian hockey crowds could learn a thing or two from that lesson.

3. If you're comparing with Coors and Bud, then yeah, but microbrews that are getting big down here are starting to compete with European beers in international competitions, and are winning.

I have to admit I really like Sam Adams Light. We can't get Heineken Light over here either. I'm at the age when light beer has to start taking over...you know you're getting old when... When I stop in at Tops with my wife on occasion, I do tend to pick these up.

That having been said, most Americans always compliment Canadians on beer. :beer:

I will close with a guarantee that Canada will win gold tomorrow... :thumbsup: C'mon you know it, I know it...there's a twonie buried under the ice since it will be back-to-back gold, so it's a done deal ;) ...Anyone else care to predict? It's been kinda quiet...reality? :D We Buffalo fans have suffered long and hard :thumbdown: , but I have to admit, I think I can count on Canada...anyone wishing to hop on the bandwagon, we usually welcome all comers - including Americans.

I have to admit I really like Sam Adams Light. We can't get Heineken Light over here either. I'm at the age when light beer has to start taking over...you know you're getting old when... When I stop in at Tops with my wife on occasion, I do tend to pick these up.

That having been said, most Americans always compliment Canadians on beer. :beer:

I will close with a guarantee that Canada will win gold tomorrow... :thumbsup: C'mon you know it, I know it...there's a twonie buried under the ice since it will be back-to-back gold, so it's a done deal ;) ...Anyone else care to predict? It's been kinda quiet...reality? :D We Buffalo fans have suffered long and hard :thumbdown: , but I have to admit, I think I can count on Canada...anyone wishing to hop on the bandwagon, we usually welcome all comers - including Americans.

I'm going with the USA over Canada. Here's why:

1. They already beat Canada once.

2. They have never trailed in any game.

3. Slovakia and Switzerland slowed the Canadians down. Now that the lines are known, US gets last change.

4. Miller wasn't overworked in his last game. Fins didn't play a physical game and the Slovaks pounded the Canadians.

5. Canada starts a ton of shots at the net, but they are the gang that can't shoot straight. Americans will block a ton of shots. I just don't see Marleau/Heatley dropping down and putting their face in front of a puck for Team Canada. Just about every American on the roster will.

6. The Americans are far better than we give them credit for. On paper, it appears a mismatch, but the reality is, these guys are pretty talented.

7. My gut tells me so..

Win or lose on Sunday, hockey will ALWAYS be our game. Canada is the hockey capital of the world and winning or losing a gold medal doesn't change that.

Get off your soapbox.

who is on a soapbox here again?

For everyone on both sides of the border, consider this. If these games were in the US and the US fans were acting as poorly (alledgedly) as the Canadian fans are, (which, of course we would be) how much grousing would be going on by the Canadians about the ugly behavior of the ugly Americans? Let's face it, we are all the wretched refuse of every respectable country in the world. Let's just celebrate this game and hope that whoever wins does tequila shots off of the puck girls navels at center ice.

Go Hockey!

As a proud Canadian and a diehard sabres fan(oh about 31 years)I would like to apologize for any boorish behaviour by my fellow countrymen.Like a previous poster said nationality has never excluded anyone from acting like an idiot.We have all been guilty of it in the past,Americans and Canadians as well as every other nation at some time or another.Its human nature to circle the wagons and fight side by side with your countrymen.Watching the American team beat the Canadians earlier in these olympic games my wife caught me let out a loud cheer when Kesler scored his incredible emptynetter and I had to explain to her that although I wanted the Canadians to kick butt I also felt great for my boy Miller and his countrymen.It was a great game and the determination and grit the Americans showed was inspirational.Hopefully the game tomorrow is epic and good luck to the boys from south of the border but I gotta put my support behind my countrymen . GO CANADA!

As a proud Canadian and a diehard sabres fan(oh about 31 years)I would like to apologize for any boorish behaviour by my fellow countrymen.Like a previous poster said nationality has never excluded anyone from acting like an idiot.We have all been guilty of it in the past,Americans and Canadians as well as every other nation at some time or another.Its human nature to circle the wagons and fight side by side with your countrymen.Watching the American team beat the Canadians earlier in these olympic games my wife caught me let out a loud cheer when Kesler scored his incredible emptynetter and I had to explain to her that although I wanted the Canadians to kick butt I also felt great for my boy Miller and his countrymen.It was a great game and the determination and grit the Americans showed was inspirational.Hopefully the game tomorrow is epic and good luck to the boys from south of the border but I gotta put my support behind my countrymen . GO CANADA!

I'm guessing that your brain is telling you that you want Canada to win. I bet that after the the first puck gets behind Miller, as a Sabres fan, your heart is going to tell you otherwise. It's really the only reason I really care if the USA wins.

And yet another "you're nothing without the United States" comment. And you wonder why we like beating you so bad. The Russians don't act like that, nor the Swedes, etc.

I'll take our top Canadian broadcaster over an American one doing hockey any day of the week, thanks.

Own the Podium was the program that was put together to help our athletes be the best they can be. Was it possibly named poorly? Sure, but the premise was to fund our top athletes and get them on the podium. Last I looked, 10 Gold Medals for Canada so far, tops in the category. 4 more and Canada will have the most Gold medals of any country in any Winter Olympics, EVER. I'd prefer to win the Gold Medal count than the overall count. You can have your 14 bronzes. I wouldn't call that embarrassing at all.

As for the Canadian gals having a beer afterwards. Come on. Maybe they should have stayed in the room but no harm was done. Not the coolest thing to do, but very minor. Let's go back to the USA team with Brett Hull and Chelios trashing hotel rooms all those years ago. Pro athletes making fools of themselves, ruining rooms and furniture. That would be embarrassing.

First off I was giving you a hard time...Maybe you were so incensed at the first part you missed the last part..

As far as hockey goes your players are awesome. You play as soon as you can learn to walk. Therefore you should have the advantage.It is your passion your sport. However with that said I have the opinion you take it to a godlike level that isnt quite for the norm that most Americans have for anything other than Country and self. The passion you put towards your hockey is the same passion we have for our Country as a whole. It just come across to me as misplaced passion.. Where you call us Bullies becasue we send our sons daughters to fight for what we believe in you send your sons and daughters to play hockey.. To each his own...In the end we are all hockey fans and tomorrow shall be fun..Good luck..By the way did yor heart stop when Demitra had the wide open net..And clanked it off the cross bar with 6 seconds left..lol..That was close

Get off your soapbox.

Just once when you watch your American broadcasts on your teams or athletes, try looking at it from another country's perspective.

Canada gets passionate about very little and I won't apologize for our love for the game. But Americans shove their patriotism down everyone's throat in almost everything they do.

Get over yourself. Let Canada enjoy their games and their hockey team. Just be thankful that Canada loves hockey as much as they do because without us, there is no NHL! Period. Our country loves hockey in all corners of the map. Your country likes bowling better. Shame on you.

Good luck on Sunday. USA will probably win, but that's ok if they do. It won't matter in the end, just like it didn't matter when you won the World Cup of hockey. Canada's game. Now and always.

Why would there be no NHL without Canada?

I have news for you ...the NHL is a league started primarily by americans.

Most of the teams are located in the USA.

And if you're going to tell me about players, there will always be players when there are millions of dollars to be made, with or without Canada.

Americans take offense to Canada saying the USA got lucky in the 1st game with goal tending. But they didn't say that about the Canadian team after friday's game where they were holding on to a one goal lead.

I'm glad there's a rematch because beating Canada twice is the only way to shut them up.

And yet another "you're nothing without the United States" comment. And you wonder why we like beating you so bad. The Russians don't act like that, nor the Swedes, etc.

Sure they do, Ovechkin said that nothing could be better than beating Canada at their own game in an Olympics held in Canada.

Let's go back to the USA team with Brett Hull and Chelios trashing hotel rooms all those years ago. Pro athletes making fools of themselves, ruining rooms and furniture. That would be embarrassing.

Americans don't invest themselves in Chelios or Hull the way Canadians invest themselves in hockey players.

I'm guessing that your brain is telling you that you want Canada to win. I bet that after the the first puck gets behind Miller, as a Sabres fan, your heart is going to tell you otherwise. It's really the only reason I really care if the USA wins.

Not me, Miller playing in goal doesn't make this game any more special for me.

Miller or not, I'm always rooting for team USA in the Olympics and world juniors championships.

Right on. I seriously doubt that if the Games were in the US, and Marty Brodeur let in a goal late in the third in a 6-1 game against Finland, that American fans would begin taunting him. I seriously doubt that we would boo the Canadians in the last minute of said win. I again note that the annual anthem-booing BS usually starts in Edmonton or Montreal--not Philadelphia or Boston. Americans have plenty to look at and fix; poor sportsmanship (by fans) is something that Canadians need to look at and fix.

The booing of the anthems started in Canada and was a classless display on their part. The impression I got is that it had to do with politics, the Iraq war in particular.

That type of self righteous BS requires a special breed of arrogance which is normally reserved for the citizens of a country like France.

They took it further with the outrage expressed by Canadian news outlets when American fans replied in kind, as if in their minds it should have been understood that the USA deserves to be derided and that sanctimonious Canada is fit to judge.

I guess they expected that we should repentantly hang our heads in shame.

That episode more than any other exposed the holier-than-thou mindset of many canadians.

Sure they do, Ovechkin said that nothing could be better than beating Canada at their own game in an Olympics held in Canada.

Ovechkin said that nothing could be better than beating Canada at their own game in an Olympics held in Canada. How is that similar to this post suggesting Canada is nothing without the USA. The post was.....

LOL..Without the USA you would be playing pond hockey with aluminum bleachers and your broadcast would be done using morse code.

I have no issues with Ovie wanting to beat Canada, but sadly for him they got throttled. He didn't say Canada was nothing without Russia.

Anyway, just heading off to bed now. Just noticed we Canadians lead the Gold Medal count. Best ever by a host country. Be nice to add one more gold tomorrow. All the best everyone. Go CANADA Go!!!!

First off I was giving you a hard time...Maybe you were so incensed at the first part you missed the last part..

As far as hockey goes your players are awesome. You play as soon as you can learn to walk. Therefore you should have the advantage.It is your passion your sport. However with that said I have the opinion you take it to a godlike level that isnt quite for the norm that most Americans have for anything other than Country and self. The passion you put towards your hockey is the same passion we have for our Country as a whole. It just come across to me as misplaced passion.. Where you call us Bullies becasue we send our sons daughters to fight for what we believe in you send your sons and daughters to play hockey.. To each his own...In the end we are all hockey fans and tomorrow shall be fun..Good luck..By the way did yor heart stop when Demitra had the wide open net..And clanked it off the cross bar with 6 seconds left..lol..That was close

I'm not incensed at anything sten. Honestly. I just don't see what the big deal is. Canadians love their hockey. Some fans call it "our game." We want to play the US in the final, but we sure don't want to lose to them. We don't want to lose to anyone in the final. I personally don't take anything to a godlike level, except the love for my wife and kids. But hockey gold is important here and that's the way it is. As for my heart stopping when Demitra was robbed by Luongo and then the post, it didn't faze me. I was working and missed the whole game, and even if he had scored, we hadn't lost, it just would've gone on longer and we'd have won in OT or the SO!

Hope it's a good game and I hope we win! Miller, love ya, but not tomorrow.

Tomsmith,my impression is that the booing of anthems started way back when the blue jays won the world series and the U.S. marines flew the Canadian flag upside down .No one could be that stupid which led everyone to believe it was intentional,maybe it was,maybe it was'nt.The point is that when you bring politics into sports you're bound to stir up passions that transend the passion that already exists.Kind of like the arguments thrown around in this forum.We could ###### slap each other till the cows come home about transgressions that may have or may not have been perpetrated by either country but we all know its a waste of time and energy.Watch the game and enjoy the sport.Forget the politics.If there are idiot Canadians pissin you off take it for what it is and move on.Don't paint the entire population as idiots for the actions of a few and we'll try and do the same.Good luck

I'm not incensed at anything sten. Honestly. I just don't see what the big deal is. Canadians love their hockey. Some fans call it "our game." We want to play the US in the final, but we sure don't want to lose to them. We don't want to lose to anyone in the final. I personally don't take anything to a godlike level, except the love for my wife and kids. But hockey gold is important here and that's the way it is. As for my heart stopping when Demitra was robbed by Luongo and then the post, it didn't faze me. I was working and missed the whole game, and even if he had scored, we hadn't lost, it just would've gone on longer and we'd have won in OT or the SO!

Hope it's a good game and I hope we win! Miller, love ya, but not tomorrow.

Just out of curiousity..What is your opinion of Sidney Crosby as a player and leader???

Archived