I Really Never Thought Badly Towards Canadian Fans

CallawaySabres

This was the first time... it was just a matter of saving money on having to build a bigger rink...

ok, did Calgary do the same thing? I am asking because it seems that changing this particular rule favored NHL'ers. Might the Swiss, Germans or Solvaks have upset someone (US, Canada?) with an official international size rink? OK, tough question to answer, but I think the field was decidedly slanted.

ok, did Calgary do the same thing? I am asking because it seems that changing this particular rule favored NHL'ers. Might the Swiss, Germans or Solvaks have upset someone (US, Canada?) with an official international size rink? OK, tough question to answer, but I think the field was decidedly slanted.

Wait....the IOC setting things up so that the home team and its closest rival (geographically and talent-wise) would wind up in the gold medal game? Get out of here!

Seriously, I'm not saying that anything was "rigged" or even that the IOC was playing favorites. But, you do have to admit that if allowing Vancouver to save money by not having a bigger rink also gave the US and Canadian teams an advantage, well why wouldn't the IOC do it?

Wait....the IOC setting things up so that the home team and its closest rival (geographically and talent-wise) would wind up in the gold medal game? Get out of here!

Seriously, I'm not saying that anything was "rigged" or even that the IOC was playing favorites. But, you do have to admit that if allowing Vancouver to save money by not having a bigger rink also gave the US and Canadian teams an advantage, well why wouldn't the IOC do it?

It seems to me that the Olympics have strayed a long ways from what their original intent was. Maybe it goes back to LA in 1984 when the Olympics proved cities and countries could actually make some $$ by hosting. The more "little" rules like this change, the farther they get IMHO.

OUTSTANDING!

And apparently I need to inform some on this site (see the post following yours) that the closing ceremonies was a very tongue in cheek look at the way the world view Canada. I thought it was hilarious, but I said to my wife, that when they're I'm gonna go to the forum and read how someone just won't get it and make some stupid remark.

I agree. I thought the Closing Ceremonies were great and Canada was clearly able to make fun of itself. That "Sorry" bit was funny.

I am actually happy for Canada. I do wish they wouldn't act like Red Sox fans with an inferiority complex sometimes ;-), but there is no doubt the gold meant more to Canada than it did to the US in hockey (although the US payed quite a bit of attention to be honest).

I also agree that Canada had the best team on paper, and in that sense the "best team won". But I don't think you can say that after 6.5 periods on the ice against Team USA that they actually demonstrated they are the better team - gold medal notwithstanding.

I agree. I thought the Closing Ceremonies were great and Canada was clearly able to make fun of itself. That "Sorry" bit was funny.

I am actually happy for Canada. I do wish they wouldn't act like Red Sox fans with an inferiority complex sometimes ;-), but there is no doubt the gold meant more to Canada than it did to the US in hockey (although the US payed quite a bit of attention to be honest).

I also agree that Canada had the best team on paper, and in that sense the "best team won". But I don't think you can say that after 6.5 periods on the ice against Team USA that they actually demonstrated they are the better team - gold medal notwithstanding.

I thought Canada dominated the first game in all areas except goaltending. Brodeur was awful and Miller was lights out. An empty net goal gave the US the extra goal.

I thought Canada played better in both games against the US. In game one the tending was poor, in game 2 they did what most teams do, inadvertently, which is sit back and try not to lose instead of getting another one and putting it away.

Either way, it was a great game and obviously I'm happy our guys won, but it wouldn't have depressed me if they'd lost, for more than a day. The Sabres losing a big game or playoff series is much more disheartening for me.

I thought Canada dominated the first game in all areas except goaltending. Brodeur was awful and Miller was lights out. An empty net goal gave the US the extra goal.

I thought Canada played better in both games against the US. In game one the tending was poor, in game 2 they did what most teams do, inadvertently, which is sit back and try not to lose instead of getting another one and putting it away.

Either way, it was a great game and obviously I'm happy our guys won, but it wouldn't have depressed me if they'd lost, for more than a day. The Sabres losing a big game or playoff series is much more disheartening for me.

After a day of letting the game set in and thinking back I really cant remember the Canadien team making to many mistakes...That happens when you have 14 allstars on your team..The US made 2 bad plays that led to goals..The first goal was a bad decision by the dman and the winner should have been ended with a good hit and clear...I think the US really earned theyre goals, nothing was given to them..Crosby made the shot when it counted..Thats why he is one of the 2 best in the world..

Off topic I am curious why you root for the Sabres..Are you from around here originaly or just liked them for whatever reason..

My oldest son is a huge Crosby fan...He has adopted the pens as his team...I am crushed lol..I feel you should cheer where you live but he always seems to go with the best..I took him to the pens sabes game where the pens won in a shootout this yr and I almost made him walk home lol....

After a day of letting the game set in and thinking back I really cant remember the Canadien team making to many mistakes...That happens when you have 14 allstars on your team..The US made 2 bad plays that led to goals..The first goal was a bad decision by the dman and the winner should have been ended with a good hit and clear...I think the US really earned theyre goals, nothing was given to them..Crosby made the shot when it counted..Thats why he is one of the 2 best in the world..

Off topic I am curious why you root for the Sabres..Are you from around here originaly or just liked them for whatever reason..

My oldest son is a huge Crosby fan...He has adopted the pens as his team...I am crushed lol..I feel you should cheer where you live but he always seems to go with the best..I took him to the pens sabes game where the pens won in a shootout this yr and I almost made him walk home lol....

Sabres/Flyers 75 got me hooked. 10 years old, cool unis, French Connection, great series. I never looked back. The Canucks are my #1A team. I cheer for them for 81 games and playoffs. My worst nightmare would be the expansion cousins hooking up in the Finals. I find it very easy to hate Miller when he was wearing your colours though. Now that he's not, he's my boy again. It was a great Olympics all around. Wasn't into it when it started, but I miss it already.

Sabres/Flyers 75 got me hooked. 10 years old, cool unis, French Connection, great series. I never looked back. The Canucks are my #1A team. I cheer for them for 81 games and playoffs. My worst nightmare would be the expansion cousins hooking up in the Finals. I find it very easy to hate Miller when he was wearing your colours though. Now that he's not, he's my boy again. It was a great Olympics all around. Wasn't into it when it started, but I miss it already.

My friend is a equip mgr for the Sabres and i asked him if he thought that the team would have a problemm coming together as far as canadien vs american players..I asked him that because I myself would have a hard time playing with the enemy after a duel they just went through. He said that the management has a plan to get thru it and they expected there to be issues. I think it will be interesting to see how Miller plays on wed and if he is mentally spent, I think he geared up for the olympics mentally and used the season to tune up for the olympics. I wouldnt be shocked to see him struggle..That look on his face after the goal said it all to me..If I was in his shoes I would want to go against the Pens and Crosby right away, I am shocked Lindy isnt playing him and sticking him in the fire right away..I want my best player to play against the best and show his intestinal fortitude. I find it hard to believe Miller isnt demanding the game!! It says alot oabout his demeaner to me..I guarantee u the great ones want the ball when the game is on the line and I would think Miler would want to make a statement..It isnt the playoffs but the great ones dont sit against the best...Lalime played good against the Pens but u play the best against the best IMO...

Rickshaw it's funny reading your post and your reasons for liking the Sabres.My story is identical,75,76.French connection.Favorite player # 11.Jersey #11 on my uni all through minor hockey growing up.Never been to Buffalo and never felt that I had to be to be a diehard fan.The thought just never crossed my mind to cheer for the canucks which are 15 minutes by air from my home.Been to tons of Canucks games,alot of them to see the Sabres.It makes me wonder how many other youngsters will be turned onto hockey in the states because of the excitement of these olympics and the great showing of the U.S.A. squad just like you and I were turned onto the Sabres way back when.

Rickshaw it's funny reading your post and your reasons for liking the Sabres.My story is identical,75,76.French connection.Favorite player # 11.Jersey #11 on my uni all through minor hockey growing up.Never been to Buffalo and never felt that I had to be to be a diehard fan.The thought just never crossed my mind to cheer for the canucks which are 15 minutes by air from my home.Been to tons of Canucks games,alot of them to see the Sabres.It makes me wonder how many other youngsters will be turned onto hockey in the states because of the excitement of these olympics and the great showing of the U.S.A. squad just like you and I were turned onto the Sabres way back when.

That is funny. I was born in Vancouver, lived on the Coast my whole life until I moved to Kelowna 10 years ago. My fave # is 11 as well (birthday too) but I gotta say I have a very soft spot in my heart for #89!

I have been to many a game where I was cheering on the Sabres vs Vancity. But as you know, that western swing has always been tough, so I've seen many a Sabres loss. Some great games over the years though, especially the year they met in the first round of the playoffs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when it was #1 vs #16, and so on. And it was a silly 3 game series too. lol.

As for Stens comments. I too hope Miller doesn't funk it up. I hope, hope, hope he keeps the mojo going. He has had a Vezina year and was clearly the best player at the Olympics and he needs to remember that.

My friend is a equip mgr for the Sabres and i asked him if he thought that the team would have a problemm coming together as far as canadien vs american players..I asked him that because I myself would have a hard time playing with the enemy after a duel they just went through. He said that the management has a plan to get thru it and they expected there to be issues. I think it will be interesting to see how Miller plays on wed and if he is mentally spent, I think he geared up for the olympics mentally and used the season to tune up for the olympics. I wouldnt be shocked to see him struggle..That look on his face after the goal said it all to me..If I was in his shoes I would want to go against the Pens and Crosby right away, I am shocked Lindy isnt playing him and sticking him in the fire right away..I want my best player to play against the best and show his intestinal fortitude. I find it hard to believe Miller isnt demanding the game!! It says alot oabout his demeaner to me..I guarantee u the great ones want the ball when the game is on the line and I would think Miler would want to make a statement..It isnt the playoffs but the great ones dont sit against the best...Lalime played good against the Pens but u play the best against the best IMO...

The Canadian vs American thing shouldn't be too bad for the Sabres, but I can see some real problems being had between Kesler and Luongo. Kesler is a ###### to play against, but he's had many a dust up with teammates at practice too. I would love to be a fly on the wall for their flight to Columbus.

The Canadian vs American thing shouldn't be too bad for the Sabres, but I can see some real problems being had between Kesler and Luongo. Kesler is a ###### to play against, but he's had many a dust up with teammates at practice too. I would love to be a fly on the wall for their flight to Columbus.

Kesler is welcome any time to wear Sabre colors and have dust ups with any number of players in the Northeast division, including other laggards in Sabre colors..

The numbers are in.Over 40 million viewers in North America for Sundays gold medal game.Close to 28 million people tuned into and watched all or some of the game up here in Canada.80% of the population and that does'nt include those that watched in pubs,outdoor plazas etc.I'm not sure if the movie theatres that aired the game were included in these stats.Those are incredible numbers.We may not own the game as the beer ads state but we sure are passionate about this sport.

I have to admit I really like Sam Adams Light. We can't get Heineken Light over here either. I'm at the age when light beer has to start taking over...you know you're getting old when... When I stop in at Tops with my wife on occasion, I do tend to pick these up.

That having been said, most Americans always compliment Canadians on beer. :beer:

Maybe it was the places I went last summer, but I didn't have any great Canadian beer. I'm sure it exists, but all I saw was Molson, Labatt Blue, and something with an R that tastes like Sam Adams' Boston Lager. I guess they're better than the big American brands, but microbrews put them all to shame. I remember drinking Truly Canadian in college, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Besides, support your local economy, drink local beer. It's also environmentally conscious since it doesn't have to be transported as far. :)

Maybe it was the places I went last summer, but I didn't have any great Canadian beer. I'm sure it exists, but all I saw was Molson, Labatt Blue, and something with an R that tastes like Sam Adams' Boston Lager. I guess they're better than the big American brands, but microbrews put them all to shame. I remember drinking Truly Canadian in college, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Besides, support your local economy, drink local beer. It's also environmentally conscious since it doesn't have to be transported as far. :)

The big brewery beer is not what I'm referring to. We have excellent micro breweries here in BC. Way better beer than Canadian or Blue

Archived