I Really Never Thought Badly Towards Canadian Fans

CallawaySabres

Yea, we ALL get it...hockey is YOUR sport and YOUR pride and joy. Guess what, there are plenty of countries that contribute to this sport besides your precious little bunch of whiners. You fans up there have looked utterly foolish from the very start of this tournament and it shows from interviews across the board. Suck it up and act the part! Do you have the best team on paper? Yes, but does that give you the right to slap the gold medal around your neck because you just show up?

If there was one team that I wanted to win if the US did not, it was Canada. Not a chance now (and that has nothing to do with US being in the final). NOTHING would give me more pleasure than seeing the look on those fans faces if they came up short on Sunday.

Anyhow, congrats Vancouver on a great Olympics and may the best team win the Gold.

Yea, we ALL get it...hockey is YOUR sport and YOUR pride and joy. Guess what, there are plenty of countries that contribute to this sport besides your precious little bunch of whiners. You fans up there have looked utterly foolish from the very start of this tournament and it shows from interviews across the board. Suck it up and act the part! Do you have the best team on paper? Yes, but does that give you the right to slap the gold medal around your neck because you just show up?

If there was one team that I wanted to win if the US did not, it was Canada. Not a chance now (and that has nothing to do with US being in the final). NOTHING would give me more pleasure than seeing the look on those fans faces if they came up short on Sunday.

Anyhow, congrats Vancouver on a great Olympics and may the best team win the Gold.

Amen to all of this!

How dare Canadians be passionate about their sport. How dare they.

Win or lose on Sunday, hockey will ALWAYS be our game. Canada is the hockey capital of the world and winning or losing a gold medal doesn't change that.

Get off your soapbox.

Just once when you watch your American broadcasts on your teams or athletes, try looking at it from another country's perspective.

Canada gets passionate about very little and I won't apologize for our love for the game. But Americans shove their patriotism down everyone's throat in almost everything they do.

Get over yourself. Let Canada enjoy their games and their hockey team. Just be thankful that Canada loves hockey as much as they do because without us, there is no NHL! Period. Our country loves hockey in all corners of the map. Your country likes bowling better. Shame on you.

Good luck on Sunday. USA will probably win, but that's ok if they do. It won't matter in the end, just like it didn't matter when you won the World Cup of hockey. Canada's game. Now and always.

Win or lose on Sunday, hockey will ALWAYS be our game. Canada is the hockey capital of the world and winning or losing a gold medal doesn't change that.

Get off your soapbox.

Just once when you watch your American broadcasts on your teams or athletes, try looking at it from another country's perspective.

Canada gets passionate about very little and I won't apologize for our love for the game. But Americans shove their patriotism down everyone's throat in almost everything they do.

Get over yourself. Let Canada enjoy their games and their hockey team. Just be thankful that Canada loves hockey as much as they do because without us, there is no NHL! Period. Our country loves hockey in all corners of the map. Your country likes bowling better. Shame on you.

Good luck on Sunday. USA will probably win, but that's ok if they do. It won't matter in the end, just like it didn't matter when you won the World Cup of hockey. Canada's game. Now and always.

Without Canada their is no NHL????? LOL..Without the USA you would be playing pond hockey with aluminum bleachers and your broadcast would be done using morse code... Your country has totally embarrassed(sp) itself..From your We own the podium to your cigar beer drinking woman...Get over ourselves???? PLEASE!!!!!!!! Youre hockey product should be better..Most Americans could care less about Hockey..We dont go to pro games with our Flags draped around our shoulders like I see from 15 % of the Canadien fans that come down to every Sabre game when we play against the Leafs or Canadiens..Our country does watch bowling more than your beloved Hockey, you know why? Neither do I(LOL) In all seriousness I just wanted to give you some good ole fashion heckling..Good luck on Sunday I have to take my good old redblooded American Ass to work..Good day all

I think this is overplayed. The Canadians have every right to thump their chest loud and proud. They're the host; the stands are filled with their compatriots. They are celebrating a great game and their love for it. Am I rooting for the Americans? You betcha! This is David vs Goliath. I ask for three things come Sunday:

1. Deliver a truly epic game

2. Don't decide it in a shootout

3. Winner and loser be gracious

The Canadian fans were chanting "We want USA" last night. Then the Canadian players had to sweat out the end of the game. Well you know what Canada, you got your wish. The Lunch Pail Americans are coming to take your gold.

I think this is overplayed.

I agree. For some countries, it's soccer (have you ever been at a bar in Europe watching the Euro Cup or any other tournament... even one-off games?- crazy). For others like the U.S., it is baseball and football. For Canada, its hockey. I have no problem with how our Canadian Sabres fans are following the sport and routing for their team.

I really believe that the U.S. team's success in the tournament plus the passion that the Canadians have shown has really elevated attention to the sport here in the U.S. As Miller said, this is beneficial to those who love the game... may encourage kids (like my own) to pick up the sport, whether they be in the U.S., Canada, or anywhere else.

I am so geared up for the game tomorrow. That game last week was amazing... one of the best games I've seen, I think. If there were just a bunch of fans moping around in the crowd who didn't give a damn, it probably would not have felt the same way. I'm so proud of Miller. We are so fortunate that he is playing for Buffalo... and, of course, for the United States.

I have no problem with the fantastic passion Canadians show towards hockey. Of course this is their Super Bowl and they have every right to display that passion with glowing colors. Something has just rubbed me the wrong way with this sense of entitlement that I have seen the past couple weeks.

Vancouver has done a great job representing Canada and I would have been upset if the fans did not have a chance to witness their hockey team play for the gold. Again, may the most deserving team win.

Despite what you say, and I agree completely except that I have experienced Canadian hatred of the US first hand spending my summers up in Parry Sound as a kid, this is not new, we just don't hear it in our media that much. I once had argument between a kid when I was a kid that told me George Washington was once Canadian.... and was insisted upon by his dad. And there were many incidences.

One the other hand, I too appreciate their enthusiasm for the sport of hockey, but their out right hatred of the US on so many of the chat posts is unbelievable. If it was just relegated to hockey that would be one thing. For all their so called politeness, they are like a bombshell blond Texas woman... the first one to stab you in the back and go for the gold. Their inferiority complex with the US is unbelievable... so don't be surprised if it gets worse.

That being said, don't give them any quarter. So GO USA Hockey kick some frozen prima-dona Canadienne.... @#$@#$ :w00t:

The irony of this thread is pretty thick. There are s###head Americans, there are s###head Canadians...shocker.

Oh, and I personally loved the cigars and beer. Would it have been better if they stood there all corporate like, sporting their IOC approved apparel? Let's just hope that they were at least drinking a beer that sponsored the Olympics. Now I'm craving a Kokanee.

The irony of this thread is pretty thick. There are s###head Americans, there are s###head Canadians...shocker.

Oh, and I personally loved the cigars and beer. Would it have been better if they stood there all corporate like, sporting their IOC approved apparel? Let's just hope that they were at least drinking a beer that sponsored the Olympics. Now I'm craving a Kokanee.

I hear they were drinking Labatts, not Molsen the sponsor! I too agree, it is nice to go up there and easily purchase Cubans and real beer. Just saying their fans are wound (sp?) a little tight. It is like pick an argument with a Redskin fan during their Joe Gibbs hey day. All you had to say was Redskins suck and you had a ten minute one sided argument. It was a great way to get out of any sports discussion though cause you could just walk away without feeling bad and they always bit on that one. Seems like the Canadians always bite on hockey too... LOL

You got a point. The way they broadcast sports in this country is an embarrassment. All that phony patriotism makes me want to vomit. Don't get me wrong, I wanna bitchslap Canada and send their fans home mad, but they're not doing anything worse than what would go on here. Not even close.

Get off your soapbox.

We can all go back to fighting in a minute...but I just want to point out how awesome it is that it is a USA/Canada final. Just think, after we're done telling each other who sucks, we can find some euro fans and gang up on them so they know who REALLY sucks!

North America is #1 baby!!

Woo! In your face Europe!

If the US were out I would always root for the Canadians. Hell my wife and I always root for both the US and Canadian athletes in most the events. A gold-silver Canadian-US podium is a victory in my eyes. I love Canada. It's not my home but is a great place.

However broadcasts on CTV have been big on US bashing and that, I think, is silly. Some examples:

• While interviewing a Canadian snowboarder the morning after White won the gold for the US, the tool doing the interview was agitated and irate about the US snowboarders allegedly teasing the Canadian team's pants being too tight. He ranted and raved about it while the athlete shook it off and actually said it was nothing and he liked the US denim-looking pants. Minutes later, after the interview is done, the same tool starts slamming the Norwegian men's curling team pants saying how ridiculous they look.
  • The pre-game for the women's gold medal hockey game showed snippets of the Canadian women saying how much they hate the US players and team instead of focusing on how great the big match up of powerhouses will be.
  • I realize this isn't CTV on this one, but the commercial that shows two people with their backs to the camera getting their car torn apart by a US customs official (and I mean stripped to the frame) who turns and points at their team Canada jerserys and says, "You two weren't in any hurry, were you?"
  • CTV bringing in so called "fashion experts" (all Canadian, mind you) who mocked and trashed ever ice dancing team's outfits regardless of the fact that many were meant to be part of a "big picture" presentation (ie: the team whose woman was dressed to be the Bird of Paradise). After ten or so rippings they get to the Canadian gold medalists and gush about how her plain white dress and his black pants and white shirt are absolutely gorgeous, brilliant, dazzling, etc.

Also, booing a winning team in the Olympics is just classless, whether it is a semifinal match up or a gold medal round is not very classy. In Turino or Salt Lake or Nagano, where Canadians booed when they won games? I highly doubt it.

It just seems like Canada (and especially Canadian TV) feels they have to bash the US to make themselves feel better, which I really find sad. I cannot see (and haven't ever seen that I can recall) US networks putting down Canadians. Most of the US coverage I have seen seems to treat Canadian victories with as much pride as a US victory. I don't expect the US-Canada game on Sunday to be covered with a US bias on NBC, but fully expect it with a Canadian bias on CTV.

Wow, after reading some of the posts here I had to join in and post. I wish everybody would keep it to a level of a sporting event, not go into a deep hatred of each other countries. If Canada wins , the US is still doing better than expected with a silver medal, and if US wins than they pull off a big upset with Miller probably the hero in that game, and no matter who you're rooting for, in a couple of days it's back to work and life goes on...

My cousin, who's a firefighter who went to NYC to help after 9-11, developped strong friendship relations with US firefighters, and to this day they still call or e-mail each other, and they actually e-mailed each other yesterday saying stuff like: We will kick your ass or we will win in Canada just like you won in the US in 2002, all in fun, like it should be.

Get off your soapbox.

+1 except for the part about the USA winning... It would make a good story if the US did win, and it (USA winning in Canada after Canada winning in the US 4 years earlier) might be a big enough push to get the NHL guys to Russia in 4 years. (I wonder if there would be any impact on the NHL teams in US cities that are struggling if the the US did win gold. Probably not.) Unfortunately, the home team is most likely (unless it's Miller time) not going to let that happen. It doesn't bother me when I go to Sabres games and hear USA, USA, because I understand the patriotism, but it does bother me when I go to playoff games and hear the odd boo to the Canadian National Anthem if they're playing a Canadian team. A few disrespectful people don't get the fact that there are Canadian Sabre fans. If for some reason Canada doesn't win the gold, I'm glad that it would be the US. It would really eat away at me more if Russia, or any other European team would finish higher. I would always cheer for the Americans over any other team (and not just because of Miller). There are a lot of posters here at Sabrespace that have a great respect for Canada and the fact that we like to think it's our game. Thanks for that, and we'll always agree on our hatred of the Maple Leaf when the colour is blue instead of red...

Get off your soapbox.

Since it's you again, I'll try to be nice. ;-). I love watching Hockey Night in Canada because the passion for hockey clearly comes through. And because of it, I really support teams coming back to Quebec City or possibly other parts of the country. It's good for the game. When I say how great a hockey city Buffalo is, I usually preface it with "other than Canadian cities". So there is no doubt there.

But let's look at the other side. Baseball is "America's Game". Do you see Americans going to the World Cup and holding up signs "it's our game" and saying things like "we deserve it because we invented it?". Did you see hatred in the United States when the Blue Jays won the World Series the way you do every time an American team wins the Stanley Cup in Canada? And have you been to HSBC Arena when a Canadian team plays there? Canadian "guests" act like they own the place - and redefine rudeness.

Bottom line, I (and I think many others) love what Canada brings to table when it comes to hockey. It's great. But this isn't about hockey as much as what almost seems like a need by Canadians to get "respect" over something - and hockey seems to be that thing.

If the US were out I would always root for the Canadians. Hell my wife and I always root for both the US and Canadian athletes in most the events. A gold-silver Canadian-US podium is a victory in my eyes. I love Canada. It's not my home but is a great place.

However broadcasts on CTV have been big on US bashing and that, I think, is silly. Some examples:

• While interviewing a Canadian snowboarder the morning after White won the gold for the US, the tool doing the interview was agitated and irate about the US snowboarders allegedly teasing the Canadian team's pants being too tight. He ranted and raved about it while the athlete shook it off and actually said it was nothing and he liked the US denim-looking pants. Minutes later, after the interview is done, the same tool starts slamming the Norwegian men's curling team pants saying how ridiculous they look.
  • The pre-game for the women's gold medal hockey game showed snippets of the Canadian women saying how much they hate the US players and team instead of focusing on how great the big match up of powerhouses will be.
  • I realize this isn't CTV on this one, but the commercial that shows two people with their backs to the camera getting their car torn apart by a US customs official (and I mean stripped to the frame) who turns and points at their team Canada jerserys and says, "You two weren't in any hurry, were you?"
  • CTV bringing in so called "fashion experts" (all Canadian, mind you) who mocked and trashed ever ice dancing teams outfits regardless of the fact that many were meant to be part of a "big picture" presentation (ie: the team whose woman was dressed to be the Bird of Paradise). After ten or so rippings they get to the Canadian gold medalists and gush about how her plain white dress and his black pants and white shirt are absolutely gorgeous, brilliant, dazzling, etc.

Also, booing a winning team in the Olympics is just classless, whether it is a semifinal match up or a gold medal round is not very classy. In Turino or Salt Lake or Nagano, where Canadians booed when they won games? I highly doubt it.

It just seems like Canada (and especially Canadian TV) feels the have to bash the US to make themselves feel better, which I really find sad. I cannot see (and haven't ever seen that I can recall) US networks putting down Canadians. Most of the US coverage I have seen seems to treat Canadian victories with as much pride as a US victory. I don't expect the US-Canada game on Sunday to be covered with a US bias on NBC, but fully expect it with a Canadian bias on CTV.

Very well said. My response to another post was along a similar line.

Aren't all of the "Canadian" players and all NHL'ers paid in "American" currency ?

See, that's just it. I can't look at Canadian NHLers or American NHLers as Canadians or Americans. They're all NHLers. That's why the NHL in the Olympics doesn't work for me.

Since it's you again, I'll try to be nice. ;-). I love watching Hockey Night in Canada because the passion for hockey clearly comes through. And because of it, I really support teams coming back to Quebec City or possibly other parts of the country. It's good for the game. When I say how great a hockey city Buffalo is, I usually preface it with "other than Canadian cities". So there is no doubt there.

But let's look at the other side. Baseball is "America's Game". Do you see Americans going to the World Cup and holding up signs "it's our game" and saying things like "we deserve it because we invented it?". Did you see hatred in the United States when the Blue Jays won the World Series the way you do every time an American team wins the Stanley Cup in Canada? And have you been to HSBC Arena when a Canadian team plays there? Canadian "guests" act like they own the place - and redefine rudeness.

Bottom line, I (and I think many others) love what Canada brings to table when it comes to hockey. It's great. But this isn't about hockey as much as what almost seems like a need by Canadians to get "respect" over something - and hockey seems to be that thing.

Right on. I seriously doubt that if the Games were in the US, and Marty Brodeur let in a goal late in the third in a 6-1 game against Finland, that American fans would begin taunting him. I seriously doubt that we would boo the Canadians in the last minute of said win. I again note that the annual anthem-booing BS usually starts in Edmonton or Montreal--not Philadelphia or Boston. Americans have plenty to look at and fix; poor sportsmanship (by fans) is something that Canadians need to look at and fix.

But this isn't about hockey as much as what almost seems like a need by Canadians to get "respect" over something - and hockey seems to be that thing.

BINGO.

Is it such a crime for us to want to tell the world and the USA that we're better than you at something?

I'll say this. As a Canadian I am very proud. I think we are the greatest nation on this planet and I'm thrilled to live in the most beautiful (but damn expensive) province in this vast land. We can laugh at ourselves when the world comes poking at us. The "eh" jokes are so overdone now but we roll on.

Some random thoughts before my morning coffee......

We have real beer in Canada.

We know more about the USA than most Americans know about their own country. (See Jaywalking on Leno for an example)

We watch American network TV, yet 95% of the time it's "welcome to the show, America." Is it so hard to say North America?

We get little respect, yet since 9/11 we've lost over 100 soldiers trying to help out in Afghanistan. We wanted to help out but little respect comes our way, just jokes about our military. Only 100 soldiers some will say, but this wasn't our war, we joined up to help out the USA.

I could go on, but your comment is probably correct in many Canadian's eyes. We don't like losing to anyone, really, but for some reason we hate losing to Americans more. We like to have those little victories over you so we can be proud and so maybe you'll notice. Respect. In the end, it's all the same to me. Fans cheering for their teams. I want Canada to win Gold no matter who they're playing but yes, it will be a little bit sweeter beating the USA.

Let's hope for a classic that ends in regulation with the game decided on the ice by the players and not the refs.

As for the rudeness you see from Canadian fans at HSBC. Remember, they're Eastern Canadians and they're the worst! :)

Without Canada their is no NHL????? LOL..Without the USA you would be playing pond hockey with aluminum bleachers and your broadcast would be done using morse code... Your country has totally embarrassed(sp) itself..From your We own the podium to your cigar beer drinking woman...Get over ourselves???? PLEASE!!!!!!!! Youre hockey product should be better..Most Americans could care less about Hockey..We dont go to pro games with our Flags draped around our shoulders like I see from 15 % of the Canadien fans that come down to every Sabre game when we play against the Leafs or Canadiens..Our country does watch bowling more than your beloved Hockey, you know why? Neither do I(LOL) In all seriousness I just wanted to give you some good ole fashion heckling..Good luck on Sunday I have to take my good old redblooded American Ass to work..Good day all

And yet another "you're nothing without the United States" comment. And you wonder why we like beating you so bad. The Russians don't act like that, nor the Swedes, etc.

I'll take our top Canadian broadcaster over an American one doing hockey any day of the week, thanks.

Own the Podium was the program that was put together to help our athletes be the best they can be. Was it possibly named poorly? Sure, but the premise was to fund our top athletes and get them on the podium. Last I looked, 10 Gold Medals for Canada so far, tops in the category. 4 more and Canada will have the most Gold medals of any country in any Winter Olympics, EVER. I'd prefer to win the Gold Medal count than the overall count. You can have your 14 bronzes. I wouldn't call that embarrassing at all.

As for the Canadian gals having a beer afterwards. Come on. Maybe they should have stayed in the room but no harm was done. Not the coolest thing to do, but very minor. Let's go back to the USA team with Brett Hull and Chelios trashing hotel rooms all those years ago. Pro athletes making fools of themselves, ruining rooms and furniture. That would be embarrassing.

It will be Canada's game in your mind, but no one outside Canada thinks it is Canada's game. Any non-Canadian that grew up playing street hockey if the ice was thawed would find Canada's claim as arrogant and offensive. And American patriotism is nowhere near as bad as the Canadian bigotry both against other regions of its own country (Newfies, Red foots, Frogs, etc) and against other countries. I have a nephew in Ontario who used to get made fun of simply because his mother is an American citizen. I grew up with one or two kids with dual citizenship, and it was non-issue.

With regard to American patriotism, how exactly do we shove it down everyone's throat? I suspect you mean you don't like to see it when you watch American programming. There is a solution to that - don't watch American shows. And the reason that your country loves hockey on all corners of the map is that population wise, you only have two corners. Over half your whole population is within 100 miles of the US border! :P

Back to hockey. As an American, I would say that you should look at the demographics of the NHL and how they have changed over the years. The tell me if it is still Canada's game. It probably was 40 years ago. Now, not so much.

From the Canadian TSN's player rankings, the top ten are

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Mike Green

3. Nicklas Backstrom

4. Henrik Sedin

5. Ryan Miller

6. Alexander Semin

7. Zach Parise

8. Sidney Crosby

9. Evgeni Nabokov

10. Duncan Keith

Russia 3

Canada 3

Sweden 2

USA 2

That list is hardly indicative of Canada's dominance of Hockey in general. I suspect the stars of the league are evenly split across 6-8 countries, and that rank and file are dominated Canadians and northern Americans. That would be due to the NHL's footprint.

In thirty years from now, you very well may hear southern accents on the ice, though.

With all of that said, if the US wins again, it will be a miracle. However, that has happened before.

BINGO.

Is it such a crime for us to want to tell the world and the USA that we're better than you at something?

I'll say this. As a Canadian I am very proud. I think we are the greatest nation on this planet and I'm thrilled to live in the most beautiful (but damn expensive) province in this vast land. We can laugh at ourselves when the world comes poking at us. The "eh" jokes are so overdone now but we roll on.

Some random thoughts before my morning coffee......

We have real beer in Canada.

We know more about the USA than most Americans know about their own country. (See Jaywalking on Leno for an example)

We watch American network TV, yet 95% of the time it's "welcome to the show, America." Is it so hard to say North America?

We get little respect, yet since 9/11 we've lost over 100 soldiers trying to help out in Afghanistan. We wanted to help out but little respect comes our way, just jokes about our military. Only 100 soldiers some will say, but this wasn't our war, we joined up to help out the USA.

I could go on, but your comment is probably correct in many Canadian's eyes. We don't like losing to anyone, really, but for some reason we hate losing to Americans more. We like to have those little victories over you so we can be proud and so maybe you'll notice. Respect. In the end, it's all the same to me. Fans cheering for their teams. I want Canada to win Gold no matter who they're playing but yes, it will be a little bit sweeter beating the USA.

Let's hope for a classic that ends in regulation with the game decided on the ice by the players and not the refs.

As for the rudeness you see from Canadian fans at HSBC. Remember, they're Eastern Canadians and they're the worst! :)

-Jay Walking? God I guess we found out who thinks Jay Leno is actually funny...the Canadians (just kidding hehe). Geez if you think those Southern Californians that Leno nitpicks are typical Americans, then I'm more scared of what the world thinks of us than before. Unfortunately the loud minority of arrogant/ignorant Americans gives us well informed Americans a bad name.

-I'm not a beer guy but your whiskey sucks. :beer:

-Trust me, more Americans than you think appreciate how Canada has fought side by side with the USA going back to WWI. Jokes are just that...Jokes.

-The Canada ladies had every right to do what they did. The fact that it's even an issue is an embarrassment. The IOC are, as one great Buffalo coach once said, 'Over-officious Jerks'.

-Sunday...it's Miller Time baby!

-I use to like Canada until Tim Hortons invaded and now everywhere route I take on my morning commute to work there's a traffic jam because people need their Timmy Ho's double doubles. Curses! :D

-Hey I watch Hockey Night in Canada, would it be so hard to change it to Hockey Night in North American to accommodate us Yanks??? :pirate:

Archived