GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

I am incredibly proud of Ruff for benching Stafford. I simply do not see NHL drive or desire in his game, and am thinking he could very easily go the way of Paille by season's end. He's certainly not a top 6 player, and lacks the defensive skills, hustle and physical aggression for the 3rd or 4th lines.

It's a step in the right direction, I think.

Let him know that if he doesn't feel like giving a 100%, there are others waiting who do, and that if he doesn't feel like playing, he's easily replaced.

I'd say the next move is Stafford's. Will be interesting to see how he responds. Or even IF he responds.

How proud of Ruff are you, when he allows Connolly, Pominville, Vanek and Roy to remain in the lineup no matter how they play? They have sucked just as much as Stafford on many nights over the last 2-1/2 years.

No argument there, but seeing as this is this first time I can recall when a brat-packer gets scratched, not counting Paille, I still say it's a step in the right direction.

Whether or not something good comes out of it? Your guess is as good as mine.

How proud of Ruff are you, when he allows Connolly, Pominville, Vanek and Roy to remain in the lineup no matter how they play? They have sucked just as much as Stafford on many nights over the last 2-1/2 years.

New to hockey, are you?

Unlike Stafford, our top four scorers of Roy, Connolly, Pominville and Vanek have proven themselves at the NHL level over the past 3 years, so their leash for benching is longer for good reason. The stats of the top four is radically better than those of Stafford over this time period, so I don't see even a drip of validity in your argument.

Roy is leading the team in scoring, Connolly is 2nd despite his struggles, Pominville is 3rd and Vanek is 4th. Conversely, Stafford has just 16 points and has gone scoreless in his past 15 games despite playing on the top 2 scoring lines most of the season. Ruff would need his head examined if he did what you are suggesting.

So was that true, if Lalime's mask couldn't be fixed then Miller would have to step in? I mean, they do have spare masks right? And if not, could Lalime have used Miller's? I don't think I've seen a situation like that yet.

I'd be surprised if the masks aren't at least custom-fitted, they're at least different sizes. I can see Lalime (or Miller) putting on the wrong mask and letting a goal or two in because the feel or vision isn't right.

Yes. I just started following hockey last week. I didn't realize that the other members of the FAB 5 were playing so well that they are untouchables when it comes to deciding who gets benched.

I never said untouchable, I only pointed out that their production over the past 3 years is radically better than Stafford's so they've earned a longer leash. Now, Hecht on the other hand has not performed any better than Stafford, statistically or otherwise, so you could certainly make a good argument he's been qualified for some benchings and that Ruff deserves criticism for keeping him in the lineup no matter how poor his play.

Vanek has not had a great year, but I think his effort has been there. Even Pommer shows signs of life, but isn't producing enough. But you have no argument from me on Connolly and Roy, who always seem to get a free pass. Hecht, too.

Vanek has not had a great year, but I think his effort has been there. Even Pommer shows signs of life, but isn't producing enough. But you have no argument from me on Connolly and Roy, who always seem to get a free pass. Hecht, too.

Well, it had to start somewhere, and it started with Stafford - I hope.

If that alone was not enough in waking up the brat pack then they do deserve a benching too.

That being said, Vanek and Pommer seem to put in the effort, not always get the result though, is it the system we're in? I wasn't too thrilled with the big payrise Pommer got, but I have to admit he does hustle back and forth tirelessly. Vanek especially this season has been throwing his weight around and backchecking furiously too.

Roy, TC and Stafford - when they decide they don't want to play they are completely invisible.

Just Cause:

1. 4 points in the last three while enduring a two-game slide. I'll take it.

2. Lalime's play after being sent down has been quite serviceable.

3. Was the PK better last night with out Roy?

4. Bandicoot with back-to-back penalties... Maybe Crash needs a stint on the pine..

5. The Myers to Grier to Connolly shorty gets my vote for play of the year.

6. Miller rested for Tuesday versus Pitt.. Got to be happy about that.

7. I enjoyed watching the Blues play hockey. They are a scrappy, entertaining team. Seems like East vs West games are more entertaining as teams don't really know each other.

8. Still in first place on 28 December. There isn't a person on this board, including the most optimistic of us, that could have seen that coming. We have to be THE most miserable first place fans in all of sports. Our team is first place. It's a mirage. Fire the coach. The GM is stuck in the past. The Owner is cheap. The lines suck. Certain D men are terrible.. The ice in Buffalo is awful. The tickets are priced too high.. No Europeans will play for the Tsar.. The goalie is elite but only doing it for a chance to start in the Olympics.. The coach can't handle the back up goalies..They have the worst top six forwards in the league.. They have paid too much for the players on the roster.. that's a sampling.

9. Finally a PP goal..

10. Faceoffs. The ability to win a faceoff is coming back to center stage as a weakness that needs to be addressed/corrected..

just one more..

11. Was that possibly a record for icings called in one game??? Probably not, but there was a bunch of them..

Just Cause:

8. Still in first place on 28 December. There isn't a person on this board, including the most optimistic of us, that could have seen that coming. We have to be THE most miserable first place fans in all of sports. Our team is first place. It's a mirage. Fire the coach. The GM is stuck in the past. The Owner is cheap. The lines suck. Certain D men are terrible.. The ice in Buffalo is awful. The tickets are priced too high.. No Europeans will play for the Tsar.. The goalie is elite but only doing it for a chance to start in the Olympics.. The coach can't handle the back up goalies..They have the worst top six forwards in the league.. They have paid too much for the players on the roster.. that's a sampling.

No, I think most fans are like you and me: Very happy with the team, think Ruff has done a great job, think Darcy had a very solid off-season, and are excited about the possibilities this team has for a special season. The nannering naybobs of negativism we see in "message board world" are just a tiny sampling of contrarians, and should not be confused with representing the views of the majority of Sabres fans.

Being a realist with your guard up is one thing...being a doomsday sourpuss is quite another.

I certainly did not envision them in first place at this point in the season. They are a hard group to figure out. Except for Myers, Miller, Kaleta, Grier & Kennedy, they are not a very likeable bunch as they go from very good to very bad from game to game.

Hopefully they can raise their level of play as a team come the playoffs.

10. Faceoffs. The ability to win a faceoff is coming back to center stage as a weakness that needs to be addressed/corrected..

I certainly did not envision them in first place at this point in the season. They are a hard group to figure out. Except for Myers, Miller, Kaleta, Grier & Kennedy, they are not a very likeable bunch as they go from very good to very bad from game to game.

Hopefully they can raise their level of play as a team come the playoffs.

Hi my names Duds, this is my first meeting and I have a problem with hockey and a love hate relationship with the Buffalo sabres.

I will fess up, I did not see them in 1st place in the division at this point either.

I also like your likeable's and would have to add one more surprise player for me, Talinder to the list. I admit I was a Tallywacker hater last season.

Hockey is fun again, I came back in off the ledge, I am okay for now at least until they throw out another clunker like that Ottawa game.

That is all.

Am I glad we are in 1st place? Yes.

Is there some truth in everything you just listed? Yes.

Pomminstein and his $5.3M salary are in such demand and easy to move.

Hey man if Brown's stock is down in LA then they might be interested in a Pominville. They have the room, and i dont think many teams would overlook Pominville's ability to put up 70, almost 80 points, and think about the picks included in the deal. We would be giving more to get less.

Just as the Anti-Connolly hate begins to spread like wildfire, TC emerges with a highlight of the season shortie. That was intense. I almost broke my GF's hand as i yelled like a banshee and punched the wall.

[/quote/

Holding hands during a Sabres game..Ahh to be young and in love again... :wub:

Indeed. :thumbsup: But she's not a big fan of hockey, more like she was trying to pry me away from watching the game. But i persevered, as a famous supporting character from an iconic sitom would say, "Gotta suuport the team".

I hope I'm a realist with my guard up.

1. After the hot start, the Sabres have been on a pace that should put them comfortably in the playoffs, but closer to eighth than first. We're talking a sample of almost 30 games vs. 10.

2. Offensively, and on the power play, this is just about as bad as it's ever been under Ruff, and that's saying a lot.

3. Gaustad leads the league in faceoffs, and the Sabres are still 23rd overall in that category.

4. As DeLuca pointed out, the fundamentals of the Sabreconomy are not strong -- looking at giveaways, takeaways, hits, shots on goal against and so on. DL makes a very good case for Miller as Saviour.

5. Miller post-Olympics concerns me. That's as realistic as I can be.

Other than that, all is well. Fresh blood is really helping. Regier shook up the beaker, and the chemistry is a lot better. This team knows how to win. And there's too much offensive talent, IMHO, even with Lindy at the helm, for things not to turn around in the goal department. I'd be even more optimistic if Darcy had any recent track record of improving his team at the deadline.

Just Cause:

1. 4 points in the last three while enduring a two-game slide. I'll take it.

2. Lalime's play after being sent down has been quite serviceable.

3. Was the PK better last night with out Roy?

4. Bandicoot with back-to-back penalties... Maybe Crash needs a stint on the pine..

5. The Myers to Grier to Connolly shorty gets my vote for play of the year.

6. Miller rested for Tuesday versus Pitt.. Got to be happy about that.

7. I enjoyed watching the Blues play hockey. They are a scrappy, entertaining team. Seems like East vs West games are more entertaining as teams don't really know each other.

9. Finally a PP goal..

just one more..

11. Was that possibly a record for icings called in one game??? Probably not, but there was a bunch of them..

Definitely. the icings were horrendous and at one point in the 3rd period we had three icings in a row. It was almost like we were begging the Blues to tie the game at 4. Maybe the Sabres figured we'll show ya this time that we can win it in OT/SO!

I hope NOT!!!

...the fundamentals of the Sabreconomy are not strong -- looking at giveaways, takeaways, hits, shots on goal against and so on. DL makes a very good case for Miller as Saviour.

While the NHL has critieria for measuring these statistics, it's still subjective & varies from barn to barn.

Fortunately, for those of us who appreciate the skill game of hockey ....IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

You might want to try rollerblade!

As has been typical of many of your posts on this forum, you have missed the point yet again.

I want some fire and emotion, some stick up for each other. Not Slap Shot in real life.

My only complaint with this team is I still wish there was more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOD-kyvL_J8

Closest thing in recent memory was the infamous Neil hit on Drury which started the brawl which had the goalies fighting (Emery decking Biron) and Ruff nearly going at it with the other coach.

Archived