GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

Just as the Anti-Connolly hate begins to spread like wildfire, TC emerges with a highlight of the season shortie. That was intense. I almost broke my GF's hand as i yelled like a banshee and punched the wall.

Great goal, but you've got to hope that any forward on the team would have scored that one.

Connolly had a good game tonight (he probably couldn't drink on the plane last night), but I'm still ready to see him go. I really am.

Great goal, but you've got to hope that any forward on the team would have scored that one.

Connolly had a good game tonight (he probably couldn't drink on the plane last night), but I'm still ready to see him go. I really am.

You've been so negative lately.

Kopitar is now the face of the Kings. Frolov and Brown are both defensive liabilities, They can keep them.

I would still love to have Dustin Brown. 38/gp 9/g 19/a 28/p -2,+/-

Hes big, and he would easily be an upgrade over Pomminstein.

Holy christ, hes making 3.5 each year over the next 4 seasons. Darcy doesn't have the gonads to attempt a Pommer/1st and 2nd rounder for Brown. That might reel them in.

Love the atmosphere in this building. If only the Sabres had a cool shade of blue, a great old organ and iconic music to play after goals. FU LQ!

Unless they've re-done the building since I was there, the seats in St Louis are this awkward purple color that looks like crap. It was one of the stranger things I've seen in any arena.

While we are at it, how about Kovalchuk, Staal (all three of them), Carter and Richards...

Yeah, screw that 4th Staal. Who wants him?

Lol, good point. The airport security in St louis was probably tight, so Connolly brought the anger to the rink.

I'm against moving him because his salary isn't that bad. He still might put up 70 to 80 this year. When he's at the top of his game, he makes his line mates play better. I've always supported him, so that leaves me a little bit biased about it. But if we were able to get a big center in return, i'd pull the trigger on that deal. Perhaps Darcy's plan is to make a slight run this year, and deal Tim at the 2011 deadline.

Just as the Anti-Connolly hate begins to spread like wildfire, TC emerges with a highlight of the season shortie. That was intense. I almost broke my GF's hand as i yelled like a banshee and punched the wall.

[/quote/

Holding hands during a Sabres game..Ahh to be young and in love again... :wub:

I liked the way the Sabres played tonight. I thought Lalime played really well yet again making some really big saves at critical times in the game. Frankly, I think the only goal that he could have made the save on was Steen's second goal. Besides that, he was screened on Brewer's goal and really never saw the puck. On Steen's first goal that's a bad play by Butler for not taking out Steen and allowing him to walk in all alone into the circle. So, I've been very happy with Lalime's performances since his conditioning stint and has gotten points in all 3 games since with 2 of them coming as victories. Great to see Lalime's game coming back. I think the lesson is that if Lindy can give Lalime a game about once a week, he will continue to have enough action with little rust and he'll play better the more he plays.

I've been down on Connolly for a few weeks and he comes out with a huge performance today. This is the type of game I expect to see from Connolly, but it's so inconsistent. It doesn't seem like he wants to play this game night in and night out, and it's this lack of consistency that's the problem. You see a game like this, and then you see him go scoreless for 6-7 games after this and it just makes you shake your head. I think the reason he comes close to averaging a point per game is that his points typically come in multipoint games and are concentrated in a fewer number of games. Meaning, he can go 4-5 games scoreless and still average that point per game average. Either way, Connolly was awesome tonight, and while I don't know the exact numbers, he seemed to do really well in the faceoff dot winning quite a few draws.

I love the Vanek-Kennedy-Grier line. They generated 2 goals, and I don't if I've mentioned it, but I love that Mike Grier is back in Buffalo. His work ethic is infectious. He creates space on the ice for his linemates and he does the little things so well. This line has scored 3 goals in the last two games. It really works. If only Kennedy could win some faceoffs and give that line puck possession time, they'd be a really great line, but I love what I'm seeing from that line.

Good win, and nice to see Butler come back in his homecoming with a two assist performance. He made a great breakout pass on the first Grier goal to Kennedy. And, a great wrister that got through for the Connolly goal on the PP. The defenseman really need to start taking more wristers from the point on the PP to get shots through because slappers are way too telegraphed unless it's a one-timer. The wristers are so much tougher to block. On the down side, Butler was also on the ice for all three Blues goals, so he and Rivet really need to do a better job in the defensive zone, and yes a lot of the blame on all 3 goals can be put on the defenseman from what I saw, especially on both Steen goals. Oh well, good win, and great games from Lalime, Connolly, Grier, and Butler. Now, must get a win against Pittsburgh on Tuesday night.

I liked the way the Sabres played tonight. I thought Lalime played really well yet again making some really big saves at critical times in the game. Frankly, I think the only goal that he could have made the save on was Steen's second goal. Besides that, he was screened on Brewer's goal and really never saw the puck. On Steen's first goal that's a bad play by Butler for not taking out Steen and allowing him to walk in all alone into the circle. So, I've been very happy with Lalime's performances since his conditioning stint and has gotten points in all 3 games since with 2 of them coming as victories. Great to see Lalime's game coming back. I think the lesson is that if Lindy can give Lalime a game about once a week, he will continue to have enough action with little rust and he'll play better the more he plays.

Agreed that Lalime was good again tonight--let's hope the turnaround is permanent. But I've got to think that Miller would have saved Brewer's goal. He's a master of positioning and would have found a way to not be screened. Still, Lalime was fine, and I'm liking what I see from him since he returned from Maine.

Agreed that Lalime was good again tonight--let's hope the turnaround is permanent. But I've got to think that Miller would have saved Brewer's goal. He's a master of positioning and would have found a way to not be screened. Still, Lalime was fine, and I'm liking what I see from him since he returned from Maine.

My three stars of the game:

1. Mike Grier

2. Tim Connolly

3. Patrick Lalime

Great game, things starting to jell! Work-in-progress Sabres are a system that allows

individual parts to excel! GREAT JOB!!! worthy.gif

I would still love to have Dustin Brown. 38/gp 9/g 19/a 28/p -2,+/-

Hes big, and he would easily be an upgrade over Pomminstein.

Holy christ, hes making 3.5 each year over the next 4 seasons. Darcy doesn't have the gonads to attempt a Pommer/1st and 2nd rounder for Brown. That might reel them in.

Pomminstein and his $5.3M salary are in such demand and easy to move.

Kopitar is now the face of the Kings. Frolov and Brown are both defensive liabilities, They can keep them.

Kopitar is nothing without Ryan Smyth. He proved it when Smyth was out injured. Kinda like how Erik Cole and Eric Staal get better together.

Agreed though, they can keep Brown & Frolov.. Roy is a SGM, but he's our SGM.

I am incredibly proud of Ruff for benching Stafford. I simply do not see NHL drive or desire in his game, and am thinking he could very easily go the way of Paille by season's end. He's certainly not a top 6 player, and lacks the defensive skills, hustle and physical aggression for the 3rd or 4th lines.

Archived