Slug jersey coming to an end

Two or less

Wait until next year and buy the new road jersey. It will most likely be somewhere between the Winter Classic jersey and my white version of the current thirds.

I would have liked the choice between the retro and whatever new one they come with. I looked at the one photo and I don't see how it would get any better.

Here's a novel idea - eliminate the third jersey altogether next year. If the Sabres do in fact return to a design close, if not identical, to their original jerseys from 1970-96, I suspect that the sales will be so dramatically higher than they have been in recent years, thus the need to market a 3rd sweater design to compensate for weak sales of the primary jersey won't exist.

Look at a model organization like the Red Wings - they've never used a 3rd jersey because they don't need to - they have a classic design that's renowned through the hockey world and needs no additional gimmicks or variations, and I recall reading that it's always one of the top 5 in sales each year. For the first 33 +/- years of the Sabres franchise, there was no such thing as a third jersey.

Great points!

Granted, there were some really cool designs from the other teams. However, there were some really wretched ones out there as well. Who can forget the horribly :sick: 3rd jersey that Nashville had with the Grey Poupon mustard yellows? I would have expected that color on some minor league or college team, but most of us are probably going to have our memories scarred for life after having seen those things.

Gotta lose the heinous pit stains and piping before I'm on board.

I couldn't care less about the piping and "pit stains" at all. It's blue and gold, it has the crossed sabres and charging buffalo logo, and the slug ain't nowhere to be found. That's all I need.

I was at the Sabres store today and the only things in the store with the slug on it are items that are 'leftover' and nothing really 'new'. The new third logo and vintage logo are on everything. any new item has the new logo on it. It's pretty obvious the slug is gone. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!

it only took, what, 4 years of the slug? before they listened to us... how long did the Islanders take to get rid of the fisherman guy?

I was at the Sabres store today and the only things in the store with the slug on it are items that are 'leftover' and nothing really 'new'. The new third logo and vintage logo are on everything. any new item has the new logo on it. It's pretty obvious the slug is gone. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!

it only took, what, 4 years of the slug? before they listened to us... how long did the Islanders take to get rid of the fisherman guy?

LOL! The Gorton's Fisherman was gone in what; one or two seasons?

LOL! The Gorton's Fisherman was gone in what; one or two seasons?

Yeah, I think it was quick with the Isles, but I guess I've done enough complaining about it and it's being changed so I should be happy that they didn't make us wait longer. It will be nice to never see the slug again!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I think it was quick with the Isles, but I guess I've done enough complaining about it and it's being changed so I should be happy that they didn't make us wait longer. It will be nice to never see the slug again!! :thumbsup:

1 year. The only reason the Slug lasted this long was people were buying it coming out of the lockout since there wasn't anything else to buy.

I haven't bought anything with a slug, but I do have some gifts with it.

They didn't listen. This was their plan all along.

A couple of third jersey variations, including SW's changes:

post-1053-12614077572106_thumb.jpg

On second thought, Carp, the shoulder patches don't look right with two different crossed sword patterns.

Here's what I propose: Take the old red third and copy it exactly; change the colors to the current blue and gold; remove the "BUFFALO" from the hem stripes and make them match the sleeve stripes; for shoulder patches and chest logo, use your avatar.

It, imo, would be far and away the best third jersey in the league. I'd work one up myself in illustrator but the logo is your concept. And I don't have the time.

Also, if you want a copy of the red and black Sabres font, let me know.

Archived