Slug jersey coming to an end

Two or less

A sabre/saber is a type of sword. All sabres are swords; not all swords are sabres.

Does your avatar feature a sabre or a different type of sword? The franchise went from a sharp, slender fencing weapon to something a pirate would use to hack rope.

The butter knife third raises a question that has always perplexed me: what's the difference between a sword and a sabre?

Does your avatar feature a sabre or a different type of sword? The franchise went from a sharp, slender fencing weapon to something a pirate would use to hack rope.

The main difference is Sabres most often have curves and a hand guard. But here's a Merriam Webster dictionary comparison:

Sabre/Saber:

1 : a cavalry sword with a curved blade, thick back, and guard

2 a : a light fencing or dueling sword having an arched guard that covers the back of the hand and a tapering flexible blade with a full cutting edge along one side and a partial cutting edge on the back at the tip — compare épée, foil b : the sport of fencing with the saber

Sword:

1 : a weapon (as a cutlass or rapier) with a long blade for cutting or thrusting that is often used as a symbol of honor or authority.

(A cutlass is a shorter sword that is usually associated with pirates, rapier is a double edged straight sword.)

If anyone cares the only difference in Sabre and Saber is "sabre" is the old world spelling and at some point we Americans apparently decided to change it to Saber for the hell of it like we tend to do..

Edit: Came across this: "Early field manuals and writings from the 19th century in the U.S. also used the "Army Sabre" spelling. By the turn of the 20th century, U.S. manuals began to use the spelling of "saber".

I'd be fine with the current Slug blue jersey, but with the gold B and sword logo. That would be a decent jersey. Or use the Buffalo Destroyers head in Blue and Gold. :)

why does the image of sushi come to mind?

Here's a novel idea - eliminate the third jersey altogether next year. If the Sabres do in fact return to a design close, if not identical, to their original jerseys from 1970-96, I suspect that the sales will be so dramatically higher than they have been in recent years, thus the need to market a 3rd sweater design to compensate for weak sales of the primary jersey won't exist.

Look at a model organization like the Red Wings - they've never used a 3rd jersey because they don't need to - they have a classic design that's renowned through the hockey world and needs no additional gimmicks or variations, and I recall reading that it's always one of the top 5 in sales each year. For the first 33 +/- years of the Sabres franchise, there was no such thing as a third jersey.

Here's a novel idea - eliminate the third jersey altogether next year. If the Sabres do in fact return to a design close, if not identical, to their original jerseys from 1970-96, I suspect that the sales will be so dramatically higher than they have been in recent years, thus the need to market a 3rd sweater design to compensate for weak sales of the primary jersey won't exist.

Look at a model organization like the Red Wings - they've never used a 3rd jersey because they don't need to - they have a classic design that's renowned through the hockey world and needs no additional gimmicks or variations, and I recall reading that it's always one of the top 5 in sales each year. For the first 33 +/- years of the Sabres franchise, there was no such thing as a third jersey.

I take back what I said about the white sweaters, I was thinking about the royal blue that was sometimes used. I like the Navy much better and I too want to have a copy of the Ruff jacket. Had one as a kid, wonder where it went...

A jersey with "The City of Hockey Sabres Emblem" in White on a blue Jersey with yellow stripping might look good. or Just in blue on White. Either way, I like the old school style of the emblem on the Sabres Home page: http://sabres.nhl.com/index.html under game night.

Actually, Detroit has worn a third jersey. During the NHL's 75th anniversary season and the Winter Classic last season.

IIRC, they technically aren't allowed to use a 3rd jersey the 1st year they change the primaries. Which, considering that the slug is the most likely 3rd (at least initially), is a pretty cool rule.

When the Sabres went to the abominable snot smear, the royal blues w/ the number in front were technically considered vintage jerseys (although the Sabres never had #'s on the front until they wore the a.s.s.) so they got around the "no 3rds the 1st year a new uni is introduced" rule. (As if it's actually a feat to get around an NHL rule.)

IIRC, they technically aren't allowed to use a 3rd jersey the 1st year they change the primaries. Which, considering that the slug is the most likely 3rd (at least initially), is a pretty cool rule.

When the Sabres went to the abominable snot smear, the royal blues w/ the number in front were technically considered vintage jerseys (although the Sabres never had #'s on the front until they wore the a.s.s.) so they got around the "no 3rds the 1st year a new uni is introduced" rule. (As if it's actually a feat to get around an NHL rule.)

And they could use that same exact loophope to keep the slug as a 3rd jersey next season.

Just to complete my trifecta (LGS, SabresNotSlugs and here), here's my proposal for next year:

post-1053-12609894955582_thumb.jpg

Darks: I think they just go with the current thirds as is. Maybe they add a shoulder patch and or get rid of the pit mesh, but otherwise just what you have.

Whites: Not to nitpick, (because you and I have always tried to do redesigns on the jerseys) but on the whites you have one stripe pattern for the sleeves and a different one for the hem. I think they would likely be the same (the sleeve version, I think). Also, I think you need to add a silver piping to the outside of the gold yoke piping to keep it consistent. Otherwise they look pretty much as I'd expect them too although I think they may go silver on the side panel piping that you currently have blue...not sure which way they would go on that. Agian, may add a shoulder patch as the yoke looks...empty?...without them, imo.

Thirds: I have been beating that drum for a long long time. I don't think it would say "SABRES" but rather "BUFFALO" just like the red thirds did. Your font is a little too big and would put that hem text up into the belly area. Lastly, if you'd indulge me, I'd love to see the third with your primary (crossed swords with buffalo) logo as the shoulder patch over the skewered B.

Exactly right. They'd wait a couple years to introduce a third jersey to get a separate boost in jersey sales

Whites: Not to nitpick, (because you and I have always tried to do redesigns on the jerseys) but on the whites you have one stripe pattern for the sleeves and a different one for the hem. I think they would likely be the same (the sleeve version, I think).

SW: I always welcome your (and anyone's) input. I'll make a version with your suggestions later. However, as for the above comment on stripes, that's how it has always been:

(Perreault)

(French Connection)

(LaFontaine 2)

(Winter Classic)

Also note: I have no idea why I wrote "SABRES" on the thirds, not "BUFFALO". Weird.

SW: I always welcome your (and anyone's) input. I'll make a version with your suggestions later. However, as for the above comment on stripes, that's how it has always been:

(Perreault)

(French Connection)

(LaFontaine 2)

(Winter Classic)

Also note: I have no idea why I wrote "SABRES" on the thirds, not "BUFFALO". Weird.

Talk about "weird"...guess I blew that call. That goes against every designer convention I have seen. I applaud your catching it and doing it right :)

Gee, I was just about to do an impulse buy and it appears there are no Winter Classics made anymore. Fuggers.

They never actually made a Winter Classic jersey for retail sale. They simply marked the current Vintage white replicas as "Winter Classic" jerseys. I believe that they did make authentic and replica versions of Pittsburgh's WC jerseys and for every team since, but not for Buffalo. The big giveaway was the lack of laces on the collar, but there were some other differences.

They never actually made a Winter Classic jersey for retail sale. They simply marked the current Vintage white replicas as "Winter Classic" jerseys. I believe that they did make authentic and replica versions of Pittsburgh's WC jerseys and for every team since, but not for Buffalo. The big giveaway was the lack of laces on the collar, but there were some other differences.

ok, well they don't sell that jersey either.

ok, well they don't sell that jersey either.

Bought a $34 replica home original at Laux when the Sabres went to the red and black. (That was a lot of money; I was a poor student then!) Smartest $34 I ever have spent. That, and the red third sweater, remain the only two that I own.

Archived