GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

They always seem to have trouble with Florida, not quite as bad as the Thrashers, but still.

This Atlanta/Florida combo hasn't been nice to us in recent years, and for me a solid win would be a huge hint as to whether or not they're a different team than seasons past.

If this were the 08-09 Sabres, I would expect them to come out flat and lose 2-1.

Time to see whose these guys really are, and I'm excited to find out.

Come on Sabres - Make me change my sig.

Sabres 4

Florida 1

Miller has another strong showing. Goose gets another tally and Roy comes up w/ a goal.

Good call, I'm liking that! Roysie is due for his 1st of the year finally. I'm just hoping they return to 05/06 form of not losing back to back games you know.

The Sabre are very anxious and excited about the "surprise" team outing tomorrow and forget about the game tonight.

Florida 5

Buffalo 2

:doh:

The game being a mere inconvenience on their extended "field trip". I can so see it - they haven't proved yet they have deserve our optimism.

I haven't watched a Florida game yet, so I really don't know where they are compared to the Sabres. I think the standings are too early to indicate much of anything - except for Toronto, although I have seen Toronto "play" already.

But, if the standings ARE anything to go on, and last season, I'd say this could be more of a tight game than we'd like to see - especially if the Sabres don't pick up their game from last weekend. I'm talking going into OT. If the Sabres DO pick up their game, they stand a two-goal or greater chance of winning. The Sabres lost a lot of momentum over the weekend and with three days off.

The game being a mere inconvenience on their extended "field trip". I can so see it - they haven't proved yet they have deserve our optimism.

I haven't watched a Florida game yet, so I really don't know where they are compared to the Sabres. I think the standings are too early to indicate much of anything - except for Toronto, although I have seen Toronto "play" already.

But, if the standings ARE anything to go on, and last season, I'd say this could be more of a tight game than we'd like to see - especially if the Sabres don't pick up their game from last weekend. I'm talking going into OT. If the Sabres DO pick up their game, they stand a two-goal or greater chance of winning. The Sabres lost a lot of momentum over the weekend and with three days off.

Florida hasn't looked to solid. Volkun has been dreadful giving 3.8 per game. Clemmensen got the start and won against Philly last Friday so the have been off for a few days stretch as well. I expect to see both teams flying tonight.

I really didn't like the Sabres' focus or mental toughness in either of the games last weekend. I'd like to see a much improved level of determination. In fact, I need to see it before I start to believe that this team has turned the corner.

I was quite happy with the events of Friday/Saturday. I didn't have to spend Sunday writing an apology note to Lindy and Mrs. Ruff.

Florida hasn't looked to solid. Volkun has been dreadful giving 3.8 per game. Clemmensen got the start and won against Philly last Friday so the have been off for a few days stretch as well. I expect to see both teams flying tonight.

Think I heard yesterday that Clemmensen will be in net. Sabres always do worse against the backup (no I have no numbers to back that up) and everyone is scared that the sleeping giant (Darcy) has awoken early this year so probably a loss. Or they are excited that Paille is gone and come out strong. Or there is a power outage and the game gets cancelled. :blink:

7-2 Buffalo. On a side note, Bruins just lost Savard for 6 weeks with broken foot (they are IN Trouble). Penguins lose Gonchar with broken wrist....

It's amazing what can change from season to season in the NHL. The Bruins looked like world beaters last year...this year, not so much.

Boston badly under-estimated the importance of Kessell. He is a bit whiny and hasn't played a lick of defense yet, but 36 goals is 36 goals! The B's already gave up on Kobasew and Tim Thomas doesn't look as sharp this year either.

Back on topic: The Sabres win 4-2 tonight.

Florida's poor goaltending, lack of offense and inability to replace Bouwmeester on the blueline is haunting them this season.

Boston badly under-estimated the importance of Kessell. He is a bit whiny and hasn't played a lick of defense yet, but 36 goals is 36 goals! The B's already gave up on Kobasew and Tim Thomas doesn't look as sharp this year either.

They wouldn't have had Kessel right now anyway, so it's hard to place any blame on that trade right now.

That was my point.

They did have Kessell last year. 09-10 Bruins look nothing like the 08-09 version because he isn't there.

Through 7 games last year (all with Kessel), they were 2-2-3, a whole 1 point ahead of where they are right now. They scored 20 goals and allowed 23. Strangley enough, that's exactly what they've done so far this year (but the 23 allowed last year included the goals credited for a shoot out loss). Call me crazy, but I don't see too much Kessel effect there.

Florida 3

Buffalo 1

Florida clogs the neutral zone resulting in a extremely boring and disjointed game offensively for the Sabres. Buffalo spends most of its time chasing down the puck in their own end instead of getting shots. Roy nets a lucky goal at a crucial time, but the rest of the team doesn't respond and gives up the 3rd Florida goal less than 5 minutes later.

Sorry, I just hate how we play so badly against Florida.

Archived