GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

lydman really has been our worst defenseman so far this year

That's odd that you would say that. A few weeks ago, quite a few people here were calling for Tallinder to be shipped out of here. Yes, opinions were divided. However, if he can prove the naysayers wrong, then may we all get eggs on our faces for not believing that he would actually come through consistently this season.

That's odd that you would say that. A few weeks ago, quite a few people here were calling for Tallinder to be shipped out of here. Yes, opinions were divided. However, if he can prove the naysayers wrong, then may we all get eggs on our faces for not believing that he would actually come through consistently this season.

Oh well I wasnt here a few weeks ago. I'v always liked Lydman too but he hasn't performed so far this season. I'm not bias, if he aint playin well, sit him down and put Paetsch in for a game or 2

I know I should wait until tomorrow to bring this up, but someone else mentioned the pop up ads as annoying last GDT. I am really tired of those Dane Cook commercials. They wouldn't be so bad if he was even remotely funny. He's not.

Anyone else imagining nooses around the necks of Cellino and Barnes?

Well good win by the Sabres. They jumped all over the Panthers early on and won the game in the first period. Miller faced a ton of shots and made some good saves when he needed to. I have to say, tonight was a great team win in that 14 different players got in on the scoring, which is absolutely fantastic. That's a true team win when you can get that to happen. I don't take too much from tonight because the Panthers are absolutely horrible, but the Sabres beat a team that they should have beaten, and that's an improvement over last year's team. Overall, it was a good solid effort from the Sabres and lousy play and goaltending by the Panthers. Maybe it was just me, but it didn't seem like the Panthers had much interest in playing the game tonight, but maybe I'm the only one who saw it this way. I'll take the win and on to Tampa.

Well good win by the Sabres. They jumped all over the Panthers early on and won the game in the first period. Miller faced a ton of shots and made some good saves when he needed to. I have to say, tonight was a great team win in that 14 different players got in on the scoring, which is absolutely fantastic. That's a true team win when you can get that to happen. I don't take too much from tonight because the Panthers are absolutely horrible, but the Sabres beat a team that they should have beaten, and that's an improvement over last year's team. Overall, it was a good solid effort from the Sabres and lousy play and goaltending by the Panthers. Maybe it was just me, but it didn't seem like the Panthers had much interest in playing the game tonight, but maybe I'm the only one who saw it this way. I'll take the win and on to Tampa.

This game must have made most of the Sabres look good in the +/- department.

Game thoughts...

- A road win by 3 goals... Hard to complain, but I'll try my best.

- A horrible combination of bad defense and equally bad goaltending by the Panthers led to a 5-1 first period lead.

- I'd be more impressed if the Sabres went into a shell for the last 40 minutes. Instead, they just seemed to lose interest in playing hard.

- I thought Kennedy-Grier-Hecht was the best line.

- Stafford's move around the dman on Vanek's goal was a classic power forward move! More please!

- In the 2nd period, Butler made a simple play of pinning his man against the boards behind the net and I wondered why he doesn't do it more. He has got the size. Once again, it doesn't have to be bone jarring to be effective.

- Grier made a nice play while on the PK in the first period. He was along the boards near the blueline , out battled the Panther for the puck and got it out of the zone. Watching this makes you appreciate his play a lot.

- Miller with an outstanding game.

- Myers with 3 more giveaways. Some may minimize the mistakes he is making, but I guarantee you when those mistakes/giveaways start ending up in the Sabres net, he won't get off so easy. That being said, I don't think there is any way DR sends him back to juniors(only 2 more games before the decision is made).

- As RJ and Harry pointed out, very little physical play. Very little.

- Bring on the team building activity!!!!!

Game thoughts...

- A horrible combination of bad defense and equally bad goaltending by the Panthers led to a 5-1 first period lead.

- I'd be more impressed if the Sabres went into a shell for the last 40 minutes. Instead, they just seemed to lose interest in playing hard.

- Stafford's move around the dman on Vanek's goal was a classic power forward move! More please!

- In the 2nd period, Butler made a simple play of pinning his man against the boards behind the net and I wondered why he doesn't do it more. He has got the size. Once again, it doesn't have to be bone jarring to be effective.

- Grier made a nice play while on the PK in the first period. He was along the boards near the blueline , out battled the Panther for the puck and got it out of the zone. Watching this makes you appreciate his play a lot.

- Myers with 3 more giveaways. Some may minimize the mistakes he is making, but I guarantee you when those mistakes/giveaways start ending up in the Sabres net, he won't get off so easy. That being said, I don't think there is any way DR sends him back to juniors(only 2 more games before the decision is made).

You actually didn't complain a whole lot, above.

Kennedy-Grier-Hecht were great. And the Sabres definitely got bored in the last 40 minutes, which is understandable but still short of acceptable. Myers shouldn't go anywhere, but you're right, he does make some mistakes. I'd rather he learn more at the NHL level than at the junior level, though, and those are the only choices.

As for the "horrible combination" that the Panthers exhibited, it wasn't just limited to goaltending and defense. Wasn't there a 5-on-3 in the first? That team looked horrible.

What do you want? He's leading the team in goals despite being seventh -- SEVENTH -- in ice time per game among the forwards.

The ice time per game stats include his half-game against the Wings, so it's a bit off. He's averaging about 17 minutes per game for the four full games he's played, including tonight.

Game thoughts...

Good post.

To add my $.02.

I was not impressed with the final 40 minutes. They really looked listless. Although its hard to bitch and moan when everyline gets a goal. WTF did Kaleta say to Horton? And how unMac was it that he got tossed. As far as Myers he looked good but this kid is so very green still. He is probably going to grow in to a monster but he has his moments where he just looks average.

Montador was shaky tonight as well. I saw him catch a body to the head along the boards.

Miller stood tall when he had to but played sloppily after the 1st. Lydman was BRUTAL tonight. Just ugly. He really needs the infamous "change of scenery". Tallindar played decent, I guess on any given night those two equal on capable D-man.

Hope the boys enjoy the beach. I can see Lindy's whispy locks blowing in the seabreeze.

Good post.

To add my $.02.

I was not impressed with the final 40 minutes. They really looked listless. Although its hard to bitch and moan when everyline gets a goal. WTF did Kaleta say to Horton? And how unMac was it that he got tossed. As far as Myers he looked good but this kid is so very green still. He is probably going to grow in to a monster but he has his moments where he just looks average.

Montador was shaky tonight as well. I saw him catch a body to the head along the boards.

Miller stood tall when he had to but played sloppily after the 1st. Lydman was BRUTAL tonight. Just ugly. He really needs the infamous "change of scenery". Tallindar played decent, I guess on any given night those two equal on capable D-man.

Hope the boys enjoy the beach. I can see Lindy's whispy locks blowing in the seabreeze.

Creepy.

What. You didn't see him score tonight?

That hardly counts as scoring a goal.

What do you want? He's leading the team in goals despite being seventh -- SEVENTH -- in ice time per game among the forwards.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but he's only tied with MacArthur in goals.

Maybe he'd get more ice time if he spent less of it loafing around the ice. I understand he tends to play that way, but the guy should be at least a point per game player at the salary we're paying him. I want our stars to match effort with the lower lines, and I'm not seeing it yet, despite a solid win.

I'm glad we won this game. Onward.

I think that the teams should have just agreed to call the game at 5-1. Florida was trying a lot harder for the last two periods, but still not getting much done. Our defense tried to let them back in, but Miller wasn't having any of it. It was sloppy and loose, but still somehow boring. I was basically just watching the clock for the last 43 minutes. Glad we got the two, but I'll be deleting that DVR recording pretty quickly.

Archived