Most Hated Sabre

stenbaro

Then, there's Cyr and Tucker, who were supposed to have saved the franchise, but all they did was save the franchise from playoff advancement.

Cyr was a big disappointment, but Tucker was solid. He could not stay healthy for a full season, but his numbers when he played were good and he was not a slacker at all ... that's the only reason I really dislike guys, if they are lazy, and Tucker was not at all. And he averaged over a point per game in the playoffs.

I never realized it, but the Sabres got rid of both those guys before they were even 25 years old. They both came up at 19 and were regulars at 20 ... think about that compared to today ... makes you wonder what a year or two in Rochester might have done for them.

I've noticed that most of these guys in the above list are Europeans. To me that says that the people who I perceive as "holding out" on the Sabres are the obvious MERCENARIES, who should be avoided like the plague. Definition of a mercenary, for those of you who don't know, 1. Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain. 2. Hired for service in a foreign army. This type of player sickens me the most because not only do they not commit to playing "for the city" but they don't care about winning the Stanley Cup either; it's just another feather in their cap.

For hating Buffalo so much, I'd have to say Kozlov.

Mercenary. That's the word I was searching for yesterday when thinking about Drury. He was so joyless, cold and calculating.

As for current Sabres or hating them while they played on the Sabres, I've never been a big fan of Max. I've never liked him since 2001 when he first played with the Sabres. Can't say that I hate him or have contempt for him, he's just a bad player, but he hasn't done anything that makes me feel scorned.

I can say that I hate Hasek and Peca. Hasek held the team hostage threatening to retire unless he got his way which was to be traded to a Stanley Cup Contender. Not only that, the Sabres could only trade for players he deemed acceptable. Meaning, even though Ken Holland was willing to give up Sergei Federov in the deal for Hasek, Hasek overruled it because that would be taking away too many good players and hurting his chances of winning the cup, and hence that's how we got Kozlov. For that, I will always hate Hasek.

As for Peca, he's an arrogant jerk who thought too highly of himself. He has never been worth $4 million. He wasn't even worth the $2.5 million that the Sabres offered him. He, too, held the team hostage and for what? His greed. Please tell me what third line checking forward is worth $4 million? The best comparable I could give is Mike Fisher, and he's not even worth the money that he's making. In fact, almost all of the rumors sites out there indicate that the Sens are trying to get rid of Fisher but can't because his salary is too high. Why should Peca have gotten that type of money only to become an injury prone player subsequently? Peca's greed and holding the team hostage is why I hate him, and the Sabres put together one of their most talented teams ever that season even without him. If not for a soft goal to Kasparitis, the Sabres may have gone really far that year in the playoffs without Peca.

There's no bigger waste of a roster I've seen than Peters. I don't like naming a current Sabres as my "Most Hated," but I can't find anything positive. He's here to serve one purpose, and he doesn't even do that well.

Anyone remember Kevin Maguire?

As for current Sabres or hating them while they played on the Sabres, I've never been a big fan of Max. I've never liked him since 2001 when he first played with the Sabres. Can't say that I hate him or have contempt for him, he's just a bad player, but he hasn't done anything that makes me feel scorned.

I can say that I hate Hasek and Peca. Hasek held the team hostage threatening to retire unless he got his way which was to be traded to a Stanley Cup Contender. Not only that, the Sabres could only trade for players he deemed acceptable. Meaning, even though Ken Holland was willing to give up Sergei Federov in the deal for Hasek, Hasek overruled it because that would be taking away too many good players and hurting his chances of winning the cup, and hence that's how we got Kozlov. For that, I will always hate Hasek.

As for Peca, he's an arrogant jerk who thought too highly of himself. He has never been worth $4 million. He wasn't even worth the $2.5 million that the Sabres offered him. He, too, held the team hostage and for what? His greed. Please tell me what third line checking forward is worth $4 million? The best comparable I could give is Mike Fisher, and he's not even worth the money that he's making. In fact, almost all of the rumors sites out there indicate that the Sens are trying to get rid of Fisher but can't because his salary is too high. Why should Peca have gotten that type of money only to become an injury prone player subsequently? Peca's greed and holding the team hostage is why I hate him, and the Sabres put together one of their most talented teams ever that season even without him. If not for a soft goal to Kasparitis, the Sabres may have gone really far that year in the playoffs without Peca.

These are my two for the exact same reasons. But I think I have to put Peca ahead of Hasek. Without the Peca incident there would not have been the Hasek issue. We would have still been a cup contender and Hasek would not have felt a desire to leave. I just don't see how choosing to not play and get zero dollars is the better option...and he STILL got hurt.

I got nothing... In fact, I don't comprehend the concept of hating guys that played for your team. Are you implying that if you didn't like a certain player, you also hated the goals he scored, the defense he played, and the fights he got into on behalf of his teammates?? Did you not root for that person to be successful while he was wearing the swords? Did you not cheer his goals? Take May for example. Someone said they hated May. So that little goal he scored you hated?

I get not liking a player's style and effort, but hate?

Ditto that thats about my take on this one

Cyr was a big disappointment, but Tucker was solid. He could not stay healthy for a full season, but his numbers when he played were good and he was not a slacker at all ... that's the only reason I really dislike guys, if they are lazy, and Tucker was not at all. And he averaged over a point per game in the playoffs.

I never realized it, but the Sabres got rid of both those guys before they were even 25 years old. They both came up at 19 and were regulars at 20 ... think about that compared to today ... makes you wonder what a year or two in Rochester might have done for them.

Yep thats my peeve as well.... so since the title doesn't say just players I'll start mine at the FO and say Larry Quinn with an honorable mention to Teddy Nolan who just couldn't handle success...

For players it's always been about the ones who were lazy or didn't deliver in the clutch or up to their potential; so I'll dip back and start with Adam Creighton, Pierre Turgeon, Holzinger, a big wuss Chris Gratton and from player's still playing, Satan (e.g. that phone incident) and Max.

These are my two for the exact same reasons. But I think I have to put Peca ahead of Hasek. Without the Peca incident there would not have been the Hasek issue. We would have still been a cup contender and Hasek would not have felt a desire to leave. I just don't see how choosing to not play and get zero dollars is the better option...and he STILL got hurt.

Definitely Peca. He cost us Adrian Aucoin by talking bad about Buffalo. I realize that Aucoin isn't Wayne Gretzky, but he would have been a step up from what we had. Speaking of Peca, I thought it was poetic justice when Peca attempted to come back to Buffalo, only to see Darcy tell him "We're developing from within". That was actually Darcy-speak for "We don't need someone who talks trash about us on a different team".

I don't remember much about Paul Cyr, but the fact that no one here uses him for an avatar is quite telling...

I got nothing... In fact, I don't comprehend the concept of hating guys that played for your team. Are you implying that if you didn't like a certain player, you also hated the goals he scored, the defense he played, and the fights he got into on behalf of his teammates?? Did you not root for that person to be successful while he was wearing the swords? Did you not cheer his goals? Take May for example. Someone said they hated May. So that little goal he scored you hated?

I get not liking a player's style and effort, but hate?

I'm assuming it's my post that was the spark that begat this thread; as the original poster clearly stated, I said May was nearly my least favorite Sabre, not most hated.

OK, I understand his making Ray Bourque look like Phil Bourque in '93. Other than that, can somebody please explain to me what it is about Brad May that puts him in such high regard?

The guy broke his hand sucker punching Ulfie literally from completely behind him. And I can't recall a single Sabre that ever threw more punches after an opponent was prone on the ice. Wrestle them when it's fair, beat the snot out of them when they're down was his typical form. The guy is a thug, and he had enough talent that he didn't have to be. (He's basically another Chris Cheaplios w/out as much raw talent.) If not for scoring the series winning goal, I'd probably rate him just below Jacques Richard on my favorite Sabres list.

And, for the record, when he came to the team, I really liked his grit. And obviously, I cheered when he went around Bourque and put it past Moog. But, after he broke his thumb throwing a clear sucker punch (against a guy that deserved to get his lunch handed to him cleanly, severely, and often) I started paying attention to his play a bit more. And I couldn't help but notice how often he didn't throw punches until he had wrestled the other guy into a prone position, but boy did he go to town when the other guy was down. While I don't hate him, I had very little respect left for him when he left the Sabres, and since the Moore incident I have absolutely no respect for him. Slashing Heinze in the head, apparently breaking his hand again suckerpunching again another D-man (Wild's Boogaard in '07 playoffs), a few other suspensions; I can't think of a single thing he's done in the past 12 years to warrant an once of respect.

I can't really answer your questions about hating May, as that's not what I wrote. It seems your rant was a bit misguided.

By far my least favorite Sabre of all time is Bill Hajt, biggest ever!!

Aw, c'mon, if it wasn't for Hajt missing an attempted check and winding up standing w/ both hands on the crossbar behind Sauve in game 3 against the Habs, while Sauve was getting horribly out of position in the 3rd period and Bill having a point shot hit him squarely where the sun typically doesn't shine, who knows how that game and series turn out back in '83. ;)

Full disclosure: for about 11 of Hajt's seasons in Buffalo, he was my least favorite Sabre. But he did actually play well in ~3 seasons over his tenure towards the end of his career, IMHO.

I have too many memories of him unwilling to finish or for that matter start a check and opponents skating right around him for easy goals, geez I still get fired up!!!Current Sabre that drives me crazy is Max, I hate when he is on the ice!!!

I have too many memories of him unwilling to finish or for that matter start a check and opponents skating right around him for easy goals, geez I still get fired up!!!Current Sabre that drives me crazy is Max, I hate when he is on the ice!!!

BTW, welcome to the board.

PS. If you're old enough to remember the real Hajt, you're old enough to have a better avatar than the one you chose. ;)

Archived