The Skill could be returning this week!!!!!

LabattBlue

It's not luck. It's common sense. When you have an established historical pattern it's really easy to predict. If I were to predict that Connolly will get hurt again before the end of the season would you or anyone else be surprised when I'm right? No. Because we all know it's going to happen. You don't need a sound medical reason to predict it. Doctors may not be able to predict injuries but hockey fans sure can. It's like when Bills fan could predict that Rob Johnson would get injured. There was no medical reason for it but it sure did happen. Maybe it's because the laws of logic and reason don't exist when it comes to sports. Sports are ruled by gut feelings and instincts.

Is it also logical to predict Rivet will miss time again this season? The guy leaves the ice in agony once every game, like clockwork. Can he not play through pain? Why didn't he play through the pain of his shoulder "injury"? Note sarcasm please.

Is it also logical to predict Rivet will miss time again this season? The guy leaves the ice in agony once every game, like clockwork. Can he not play through pain? Why didn't he play through the pain of his shoulder "injury"? Note sarcasm please.

Logic would seem to dictate that a physical player like Rivet would be more prone to injury. My gut feeling is that is the case and on most nights Rivet is fighting through one injury or another. I also have a feeling that Rivet has played games with injuries that would knock Tiny Timmy out for months.

I actually think it is quite logical to think that he will get hurt again before the end of the season. Some basic data analysis will tell us that. That said, I would rather see Connolly playing than injured and I actually feel really bad for him. It really seems like he can't catch a break(from injuries not bones).

Now...the real question. With 42 left to play, who's out

Is it really that simple? Just bad breaks? Or is there a underlining reason for all the injuries? Can it be as simple as a lack of on ice awareness? Is there flaws in his practice habits or pregame preparations? Does he lack the intensity needed in the NHL which leaves him open for injuries? Or, is he just the NHL version of Sleprock walking around with a cloud over his head.

Not sure I agree about that, although I see where you're coming from.

I guess I think, that while he has a ton of moves in his arsenal, he's just not a natural finisher which is what counts in a shootout.

Look at Kotalik - He has maybe two or three moves that's it, but he can finish them.

Timmy just isn't a natural scorer, but a playmaker IMHO.

I definetly agree with you. He does have alot of moves,but alot of them are used for 1 on 1s or 1 on 2's. He kinda uses d men to deke. Like the between the legs move. I dont think if he did that on a goalie it would work. However the through the legs shot might work.I was gonna add this statement to my original one,but i was too lazy.

I think the move he pull on the isles would work in a shoot out though. This move to the backhand.

From sabres.com:

Ruff sympathizes with Connolly. As an NHL defenseman in 1980s, Ruff went through his share of ailments ? including a broken femur and broken ankle.

?I went through a lot of injuries I missed a lot of games, missed over 200 games,? Ruff said. ?At the end it was tough because seemed like you were hurt a lot and you feel that pressure."

Ruff has a lot more to say. http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=402692

Now, did the coach HAVE to say all of that? Personally, I think he's doing everything he can to make out of Connolly's critics. You want to say TC's a wuss? Then you'll have to call Lindy Ruff the same.

From sabres.com:

Ruff sympathizes with Connolly. As an NHL defenseman in 1980s, Ruff went through his share of ailments ? including a broken femur and broken ankle.

?I went through a lot of injuries I missed a lot of games, missed over 200 games,? Ruff said. ?At the end it was tough because seemed like you were hurt a lot and you feel that pressure."

Ruff has a lot more to say. http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=402692

Now, did the coach HAVE to say all of that? Personally, I think he's doing everything he can to make out of Connolly's critics. You want to say TC's a wuss? Then you'll have to call Lindy Ruff the same.

What Ruff is doing is trying to back track the frustration he showed earlier in the year when discussing TC's latest injury. He really says nothing that most of us haven't said. He is a better then decent player when he is on the ice. The truth, however, is that there is no room for him in an organization that has its own budget and has little to no room for mistakes and yet keeps making them.

While I don't agree with a some of DeLuca's more personal attacks he is correct when he says that TC's legend seems to grow with his absence. He was phenomenal in the 05/06 playoffs till he got hurt, he was very good that regular season when he played and he has been pretty good when he has been able to play since.

While he is not a superstar, his presence for the rest of the season would make this team as good as any in the East. I sure hope that's not Darcy's plan, though.

What Ruff is doing is trying to back track the frustration he showed earlier in the year when discussing TC's latest injury. He really says nothing that most of us haven't said. He is a better then decent player when he is on the ice. The truth, however, is that there is no room for him in an organization that has its own budget and has little to no room for mistakes and yet keeps making them.

While I don't agree with a some of DeLuca's more personal attacks he is correct when he says that TC's legend seems to grow with his absence. He was phenomenal in the 05/06 playoffs till he got hurt, he was very good that regular season when he played and he has been pretty good when he has been able to play since.

While he is not a superstar, his presence for the rest of the season would make this team as good as any in the East. I sure hope that's not Darcy's plan, though.

I agree with almost all of this, but the bolded part assumes quite a few other moving pieces come together too -- Miller playing well, Rivet staying healthy and keeping Tallinder on an even keel, Sekera not getting the yips, consistent production from Roy, Vanek and Pommer, continued improvement from Stafford and Gaustad, etc.

But hey! Why the heck not? If we beat the Rangers I'll be dreaming big dreams too.

Logic would seem to dictate that a physical player like Rivet would be more prone to injury. My gut feeling is that is the case and on most nights Rivet is fighting through one injury or another. I also have a feeling that Rivet has played games with injuries that would knock Tiny Timmy out for months.

Name ONE injury that Tim Connolly sustained that WOULDN'T have knocked out ANYONE ELSE for lengthy periods? I'll even overlook the mis-diagnosed jaw problem that set back his return from the Shafer hit by months. Your logic concerning Rivet contradicts your case against Connolly. It's just more of your over-simplified opinion of Rivet=Macho Man, TC=P*ssy.

You make it so personal against TC that I think you're just trying to mask the major man-crush you have on him. You've missed him because he's an above-average talent that's disappointed you with his absence. Try not to put your lips too close to the TV screen on Friday night.

GO SABRES!!!

Putting aside the discussion on your personal opinions of Connolly as a player, does anyone know where he will be skating? Personally, I would not want to mess too much with the lines as they are as they seem to be working. You obviously would not touch the Vanek-Roy-Stafford line. But, where do you put Connolly? Right now, I wouldn't touch the Ellis-Gaustad-Pominville line either. The only place I could see him getting inserted would be at center between Hecht and Kotalik moving Mair down to the fourth line, or simply inserting him into the fourth line with Paille and MacArthur and making either Paille or MacArthur play right wing or putting Connolly on the right wing of that line. Not sure where else you put him as I like the way the lines are right now.

So DeLuca is correct when he says that TC's legend grows due to his prolonged absences from the line-up. Would 'legend' imply that TC is not as good as we thought he was? Because if that's the case then I really can't reconcile that with your notion that his presence in our line-up makes us as good as any team in the East. And if he would make us as good as any team in the East then Darcy should get rid of him? Not saying a trade, in and of itself, is necessarily a bad idea but wouldn't we be risking losing a player that makes us as good as any team in the East for someone that wouldn't?

GO SABRES!!!

Putting aside the discussion on your personal opinions of Connolly as a player, does anyone know where he will be skating? Personally, I would not want to mess too much with the lines as they are as they seem to be working. You obviously would not touch the Vanek-Roy-Stafford line. But, where do you put Connolly? Right now, I wouldn't touch the Ellis-Gaustad-Pominville line either. The only place I could see him getting inserted would be at center between Hecht and Kotalik moving Mair down to the fourth line, or simply inserting him into the fourth line with Paille and MacArthur and making either Paille or MacArthur play right wing or putting Connolly on the right wing of that line. Not sure where else you put him as I like the way the lines are right now.

Without thinking about it too much, bumping Mair down to the 4th like you suggested seems like the best move to me.

That was exactly what I was thinking. We'd have some unconventional lines, but it might be hard for other teams to figure out how to play against.

Unless DR is planning to make a substantial deal for a legitimate #2 center in the next two months or so, they have to roll the dice with Connolly.

What they do in the off-season is a whole different story. More than likely Connolly will not be offered a new contract and there is no one is Portland to step up. I can't believe they will try to use Hecht as the #2 center for the 3rd year in a row.

I'd predict:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Connolly-Pommer-Kotalik

Hecht-Gaustad-Mair

Ellis-Paille-MacArthur

but your guess is certainly as good as mine.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Connolly-Pommer-Kotalik

Hecht-Gaustad-Mair

Ellis-Paille-MacArthur

I'd much rather see:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Pominville-Connolly-Hecht

Ellis-Gaustad-Kotalik

Paille-Mair-MacArthur

Like you said, your guess is as good as mine.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ellis-Gaustad-Kotalik

Paille-Mair-MacArthur

This is the second option that I was thinking about (though, I'd put Pommer on the right wing and Hecht on the left ;) ) since Pommer and Connolly have always had some chemistry. For better or worse, this is more of a traditional lineup than any one with Ellis-Gaustad-Pominville.

They have put together a couple of wins. Why in the hell would the Sabres even contemplate disrupting the lineup for a game or two which is when he will get hurt again.

Send "The Skill" home for good and let the team move forward. Send Max with him. They can hang out and play with each others Wii.

Let it go man -- injury prone or not, Connolly is an improvement to this team. He's better than Gerbe/Kennedy/Mancari (at this point in their careers), and I'd much rather have him in the lineup than Peters. Ellis should stay, though.

I'd much rather see:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ellis-Gaustad-Kotalik

Paille-Mair-MacArthur

Like you said, your guess is as good as mine.

I like these lines. I have a feeling Lindy will probably make it up as he goes along though.

I'd predict:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Connolly-Pommer-Kotalik

Hecht-Gaustad-Mair

Ellis-Paille-MacArthur

but your guess is certainly as good as mine.

I'd swap Ellis and Mair, but then again, I've never paid too much attention to who skates on which side. That Ellis-Hecht-Gaustad combo sounds like a very strong defensive unit.

I'd swap Ellis and Mair, but then again, I've never paid too much attention to who skates on which side. That Ellis-Hecht-Gaustad combo sounds like a very strong defensive unit.

I believe that when Mair played on the wing, it was usually the right. Of course, Kotalik and Pommer (together on that second line) are both right wings, too. Ellis has played on the left of Gaustad in the past couple of games. Some players can switch sides without problems, but not everyone can.

Archived