Miller Signs 5 year extension

WNY-Enforcer

I know this is the old "you always catch the retaliator" theme, but don't you think Brain had a right to offer some of his/her insults, in response to the nastiness that was thrown his/her way? (Yes, Brain started it and deserved it.)

I just don't think there are many clean posting hands in regards to insults in this thread. Which begs the question: what if the troll isn't fed? This poster knew what he/she was talking about. Either he/she would have gone away or dropped the insults and become a valued poster.

The other burning question: what is he/she was a he-she? That would really blow my mind.

I know this is the old "you always catch the retaliator" theme, but don't you think Brain had a right to offer some of his/her insults, in response to the nastiness that was thrown his/her way? (Yes, Brain started it and deserved it.)

So to clarify: you can kick down the door, announce how you're smarter than everyone else, act like a jackass, insult people, and then when people fire back, you have the right to continue acting like a jackass?

I just don't think there are many clean posting hands in regards to insults in this thread. Which begs the question: what if the troll isn't fed? This poster knew what he/she was talking about. Either he/she would have gone away or dropped the insults and become a valued poster.

Should we tolerate someone acting like an ass on the hopes that they are either going to leave on their own or will magically drop the insults and attack and become a valued poster?

And I wouldn't know whether he knew what he was talking about, because I couldn't get past the condescending attitude, the insults, and the personal attacks.

So to clarify: you can kick down the door, announce how you're smarter than everyone else, act like a jackass, insult people, and then when people fire back, you have the right to continue acting like a jackass?

Should we tolerate someone acting like an ass on the hopes that they are either going to leave on their own or will magically drop the insults and attack and become a valued poster?

And I wouldn't know whether he knew what he was talking about, because I couldn't get past the condescending attitude, the insults, and the personal attacks.

Now you know why I still have no idea where you stand on Ryan Miller. "He's one of the greats but needs to get better" is all I can come up with of late.

I've never heard it called "sandwich debris."

nice. :o

The other burning question: what is he/she was a he-she? That would really blow my mind.

yeah, i'm with wolf on this one. while i appreciate the hope that brain could've reformed his initial ways, i think allowing that process to play out (if it played out at all (unlikely, imo)) would have come at the expense of the board's larger community. to me, it's just not worth it.

Should I take that as a compliment?

most definitely. i appreciate your insights. i probably disagree as much as i agree -- but i always appreciate them.

That is the magic of the internet. That person can reincarnate as a civil poster minus the abuse.

Or better yet, find a more appropriate forum for the thing they do.

Is Goose out there vs top line?

Answer : NO

Case Closed

Sorry, guys, I know he's been banned, but I just could not get past the stupidity of his claims and the incredibly flawed obscure statistic he cites as his backup that his point is correct. First, he flat out concedes the point that even the website that came up with this stat agrees that it's flawed, so the stat itself has very little credibility. Second, he also never answers the fact that the stat does not account for coaches who do not line match at all and does not account for the fact that visiting coaches can rarely line match on the road. Since it's exceedingly difficult to line match on the road, even if Goose was matched against top lines on most nights, the fact that he's playing on the road and Lindy is not able to line match would still reduce the overall average score amortized over the entire season because of road games, so the stat can only work 50% of the time when teams play at home AND are able to line match. This is a point he never argues.

Third, even if we assumed that the statistic he's using was 100% full proof and flawless, it does not account for other factors that would prevent Gaustad from being a "true" checking line center matching up against top lines. Saying Gaustad is not good defensively is flat out false as he plays on the PK and is one of the best PKers on the team, so it would be stupid to say that Goose cannot play defense, but I would not put it past him to be stupid. Second, when you look at his linemates for much of the season, Lindy would be a fool to have played Gaustad against any team's top line. At the beginning of the year when Connolly was with Hecht and Pominville, Max was on the top line with Roy-Vanek, and Goose was playing with Kotalik and Stafford. Kotalik as we all have seen can be a defensive zone liability, and Stafford is not really the backchecking beast we'd love for him to be, so why would Lindy put Goose against top lines with those linemates? Then, when he switched and put Max on his line and Stafford with Roy-Vanek, he added another defensive liability in Max along with Kotalik to play on his line and that would be a disaster playing that line against any team's top line. Then, once injuries started creeping into the forward reigns, Paille moved up from the 4th line to play with Goose more regularly in addition to his PK duty. While Paille is good defensively, Lindy tends to be risk averse and not play rookies (for all intents and purposes Paille's rookie year last year) against top lines so again Gaustad would not play against top lines. However, he did get regular duty with Hecht and Pominville in quite a few games around January-March timeframe including against the Rangers, Thrashers, and the Lightning in which the Sabres came back from a 4-1 deficit to win the game 7-4. In my opinion, I would like to see Goose lined up as center between Hecht and Pominville going forward. I think more than anything the factors preventing Goose from being utilized as a checking line center aren't obscure statistics but rather the lack of depth at the center position overall on the team and Lindy's unwillingness or inability to put Gaustad in that position by playing him with more skilled forwards who are terrible in the defensive zone.

This clown was totally obnoxious and no idea what he was even talking about. Citing an obscure statistic that is laden with flaws proves nothing. The funny part is that he felt this stat was the end all be all, and any good statistician worth his salt would tell you there are other factors that go into the numbers and they are not proof positive of necessarily anything on face. What I learned about this guy is that he is obnoxious, arrogant, has a bit of a superiority complex probably because his mom always told him he was the greatest growing up and he believed it, and that he has an excessive problem because I don't think it's even possible for him to love anyone more than himself.

I'm glad he's gone, but I would love to hear him refute any of the gaping holes in his logic as well as this end-all, be-all statistic that he's citing in which the people who came up with the stat recognize that it's very much flawed.

Now you know why I still have no idea where you stand on Ryan Miller. "He's one of the greats but needs to get better" is all I can come up with of late.

Coming from someone who "really likes Ryan but doesn't want to take part in overhyping him" (whatever the hell that means) I'll take that as a compliment.

Your position here is not surprising, since you seem to skim posts for bits and pieces to try to legitimize your own convoluted position, and seem so eager to play the "SabreSpace martyr" for supposedly having a differing opinion.

This clown was totally obnoxious and no idea what he was even talking about. Citing an obscure statistic that is laden with flaws proves nothing. The funny part is that he felt this stat was the end all be all, and any good statistician worth his salt would tell you there are other factors that go into the numbers and they are not proof positive of necessarily anything on face.

It has nothing to do with being a statistician. I'd think that any semi-informed hockey fan is going to have questions about how much meaning +/- really has. Now if you go on and base some more complicated stat completely on +/-, common sense says that the same questions are going to stand.

yeah, i'm with wolf on this one. while i appreciate the hope that brain could've reformed his initial ways, i think allowing that process to play out (if it played out at all (unlikely, imo)) would have come at the expense of the board's larger community. to me, it's just not worth it.

I think the jerk FNG process pretty much did play itself out. He made it pretty clear what kind of guy he was. Yes, there were some sharp remarks made towards him, generally in response to his sharp remarks, but his reactions were what they were. Nobody made him talk like that. Yes, SDS could have let it go on indefinitely, but who needs it? I don't come on this board to get into a pissing contest with some sociopathic teenager who needs to get laid instead of planning his next shooting spree at school.

I have heard open face roast beef sandwich, or roast beef curtains... :thumbsup:

Eeeesh. Better get the dart gun.

Of course he was shut down. Don't rock the boat. He's probably at Gitmo right now.

:D :D :D

This thread has been priceless.. This was by far the best!! I'm just saying.... You probably don't know.... Gitmo.. Love it...

Of course he was shut down. Don't rock the boat. He's probably at Gitmo right now.

Son, we post on a board that has rules, and those rules need to be guarded by men with keyboards. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant X. Benedict? The moderators have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for The Brain and curse the moderators; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what the moderators know: that The Brain's banning, while tragic, probably saved posters and that the mods' existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves posters. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want KR, Labatt and SDS on that wall, you need them on that wall.

Son, we post on a board that has rules, and those rules need to be guarded by men with keyboards. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant X. Benedict? The moderators have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for The Brain and curse the moderators; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what the moderators know: that The Brain's banning, while tragic, probably saved posters and that the mods' existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves posters. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want KR, Labatt and SDS on that wall, you need them on that wall.

for the fuggin' win -- hall of fame stuff. the bolded piece is my favorite part of the adaptation.

Priceless. :thumbsup:

:worthy:

Simply priceless... If my sig wasn't so full, I'd ask to use that... :lol:

I can hear that being read by the library investigator on "Seinfeld."

Outstanding!!!! :worthy: :worthy:

Archived