Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I guess the SOTU Address last night has me in a mood, so...

I hate when people think I'm in Iraq fighting Iraqis, when that is the furthest thing from the truth. The "War in Iraq" (in its current state) is the most competent fighting/defense force in the world protecting the Iraqi people from de-stabilizing influences, while the Iraqi people decide how they are going to govern themselves. For all the US deaths in Iraq, there are multitudes more deaths of Iraqi citizens who have the guts to stand up for themselves and their neighbors against violent extremist groups who continue to thrive in lawlessness. It bothers me that we are abandoning these people during their most desperate time of need. But, at least we're "ending the war in Iraq."

Meanwhile, the term "Global War on Terrorism" is not an American idea. It is the mentality of our determined enemy, who will fight us on their terms, anywhere in the world. I am looking forward to leaving this flat country where our American military forces have a clear technical and military superiority over our enemies to go to the mountainous, cavernous, hostile battlefield of Afghanistan, where we will not be able to demonstrate our air power or make effective use of things like night-vision equipment, so American Soldiers' lives will be in even more peril. I also cannot wait to leave these friendly, supportive, educated Iraqi people who lived under a ruthless dictator whose ideals were inimical to the best interests of both his own people and our country's security. What a joy it will be to operate among the uneducated population of Afghanistan, who actually believed in the precepts of the treacherous Taliban party, because none of them were taught any differently.

All I can say to everyone who supports the fight in Afghanistan, but wants us to leave Iraq is...

see your local Armed Forces recruiting office... "We need more meat for the grinder."

I guess the SOTU Address last night has me in a mood, so...

I hate when people think I'm in Iraq fighting Iraqis, when that is the furthest thing from the truth. The "War in Iraq" (in its current state) is the most competent fighting/defense force in the world protecting the Iraqi people from de-stabilizing influences, while the Iraqi people decide how they are going to govern themselves. For all the US deaths in Iraq, there are multitudes more deaths of Iraqi citizens who have the guts to stand up for themselves and their neighbors against violent extremist groups who continue to thrive in lawlessness. It bothers me that we are abandoning these people during their most desperate time of need. But, at least we're "ending the war in Iraq."

Meanwhile, the term "Global War on Terrorism" is not an American idea. It is the mentality of our determined enemy, who will fight us on their terms, anywhere in the world. I am looking forward to leaving this flat country where our American military forces have a clear technical and military superiority over our enemies to go to the mountainous, cavernous, hostile battlefield of Afghanistan, where we will not be able to demonstrate our air power or make effective use of things like night-vision equipment, so American Soldiers' lives will be in even more peril. I also cannot wait to leave these friendly, supportive, educated Iraqi people who lived under a ruthless dictator whose ideals were inimical to the best interests of both his own people and our country's security. What a joy it will be to operate among the uneducated population of Afghanistan, who actually believed in the precepts of the treacherous Taliban party, because none of them were taught any differently.

All I can say to everyone who supports the fight in Afghanistan, but wants us to leave Iraq is...

see your local Armed Forces recruiting office... "We need more meat for the grinder."

My tours were in '04, '05, and '07, when all these educated Iraqi were indeed trying to blow the hell out of us. Unfortunately it did take 3,000 of our comrades paying the ultimate price to get where we are now. Whether you agreed with the invasion or not, we are now giving the Iraqis a chance to restart their country instead of living under a dictator who brutalized and abused his people. Return home safe, my friend.

My tours were in '04, '05, and '07, when all these educated Iraqi were indeed trying to blow the hell out of us. Unfortunately it did take 3,000 of our comrades paying the ultimate price to get where we are now. Whether you agreed with the invasion or not, we are now giving the Iraqis a chance to restart their country instead of living under a dictator who brutalized and abused his people. Return home safe, my friend.

Sorry, Rob, I'm not as jaded as you. It wasn't the same educated Iraqi people we are here trying to protect. It was the same enemy who is currently lying relatively low - violent extremists, like Al Qaeda in Iraq and extremist Shia terrorist groups. I agree the tactic of choice is, was, and will be improvised explosive devices, but it wasn't the former scientist, lawyer or teacher who was doing that. There's a good chance most of your enemies in '04 and '05 weren't even Iraqi.

On monday morning I bought something at CVS for $3.19. I have the cashier $3.20. She only handed me a receipt and not the penny. I didn't bother saying anything because who cares, it's just a penny. Later that day when I bought lunch, it came out to $5.24. I had 23 cents in my pocket. :wallbash:

On monday morning I bought something at CVS for $3.19. I have the cashier $3.20. She only handed me a receipt and not the penny. I didn't bother saying anything because who cares, it's just a penny.

If a cashier tries to pull that on me, they better be prepared to open the drawer back up, because I'm not budging and it has nothing to do with it just being a penny.

If a cashier tries to pull that on me, they better be prepared to open the drawer back up, because I'm not budging and it has nothing to do with it just being a penny.

I would have never expected that from a place like CVS. They're usually far too professional to pull something like that, compared to the typical family-run, corner store type place.

#1: The Ottawa Senators

#2: The Pittsburgh Penguins

#3: I hate when I'm in a grocery store, toting around a cart full of stuff, and people stop in the middle of the aisle to either stare at something or chat with a friend when they know I'm right there trying to get past them. Even worse, I could be stopped in the aisle scanning the shelves for the can of soup I'm looking for when someone stops their cart RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME to look at the same area of the shelves. I won't buy the fact that they didn't see me...it's hard to miss anyone with a grocery cart, no matter how short they are.

Went to Starbucks the other day - bought 2 lbs of coffee beans and a latte. Came to $28.74. I handed the "barista" $30. I had planned to put the dollar and change in the tip jar anyway, but the clerk handed me the coins only, not the dollar. I was going to ask for the buck, but I looked at my receipt and she rang up it up as $29.00 cash tendered. So, how do you hand a clerk two bills (a ten and a twenty) and have them interpret it as $29.00? So basically, there is an extra dollar in the till. Maybe making up for an earlier boo-boo? Anyway, not real happy about that deal. Good thing that Starbucks coffee is so expensive that I only go there once or twice a month...:angry:

My college just announced that after decades of using the quarter system, they will be switching to the semester system in 2013. I'm graduating, so I could care less, but apparently all the students here think it's insane.

Yeah, wouldn't want to have longer breaks and a less compacted course load so that you could have more time to enjoy the finer points of college. <_< I guess if you're an antisocial shut in the quarter system is awesome. But for us normal students who made the mistake of coming to an abnormal college, it's a pretty great move.

Enrollment will increase, retention rates will increase, getting sick mid-semester wont result in failing the course, students that struggled with an unnecessarily fast pace in the harder programs will finally keep their heads above water. Heck, I'd bet the number of students on campus with Adderall prescriptions would even go down since the semester system wont require the use of amphetamines to keep up.

Waiting for my boss to get back to me with a salary for a new position I interviewed for. The stress level will be higher, my hours suckier, my new boss shittier, but the pay will hopefully allow me to stop delivering the za and get on with my life.

Don't forget the intangibles!!!!