Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm happy to report that my mom's interview last week went well and she actually just started working again this past Tuesday in her field of expertise, which is a huge relief. (What a difference a week makes!) The lack of programming jobs is crazy... the guy who hired her said that they'd received 1000 applications from all over the country with people willing to relocate if hired because those jobs are so scarce. Thank goodness things are looking up for her, and I wish the same for your mom, CSB. At least if she does move in with you, maybe she can help care for your son?

Ah, so you're mom's a programmer too, huh? I wouldn't be totally opposed to her moving in, it would help cut down my expenses, and she'd help take care of my son, but she's also bi-polar and we tried the living together as adults situation before I was married, and after two months I couldn't take it. She figures she can get a little apartment nearby and pay all her bills working 40 hours a week at $10.50/hour. She was making $65K+ as a programmer, but all she wants now is a job where she can have enough money to have her own place.

Ah, so you're mom's a programmer too, huh? I wouldn't be totally opposed to her moving in, it would help cut down my expenses, and she'd help take care of my son, but she's also bi-polar and we tried the living together as adults situation before I was married, and after two months I couldn't take it. She figures she can get a little apartment nearby and pay all her bills working 40 hours a week at $10.50/hour. She was making $65K+ as a programmer, but all she wants now is a job where she can have enough money to have her own place.

My goodness, man, your mom AND your (soon-to-be) ex-wife are both bipolar?? That's rough. Yeah my mom does IBM based RPG programming... I have no idea what that is, but I guess she said it's an older programming language that isn't widely used anymore so it's difficult to find jobs based on that experience alone. She was making a hefty salary for a number of years but managed to squander it such that she has zero savings or retirement, which is very frustrating from my standpoint because that probably means my brother and I will be left taking care of her once she's unable to work (or she'll be working well beyond standard retirement age). But, I'm still happy for her that she will be able to avoid losing her apartment and I can only hope she takes this as a wake-up call to become more financially responsible in the future. I hope everything works out with your mom so she's able to have her own place, for both your sakes!

My goodness, man, your mom AND your (soon-to-be) ex-wife are both bipolar?? That's rough. Yeah my mom does IBM based RPG programming... I have no idea what that is, but I guess she said it's an older programming language that isn't widely used anymore so it's difficult to find jobs based on that experience alone. She was making a hefty salary for a number of years but managed to squander it such that she has zero savings or retirement, which is very frustrating from my standpoint because that probably means my brother and I will be left taking care of her once she's unable to work (or she'll be working well beyond standard retirement age). But, I'm still happy for her that she will be able to avoid losing her apartment and I can only hope she takes this as a wake-up call to become more financially responsible in the future. I hope everything works out with your mom so she's able to have her own place, for both your sakes!

I think it's Dungeons & Dragons and stuff like that.

Yep, mom AND the soon-to-be ex are both bi-polar. My mom does some RPG programming, but mostly COBOL. Like you, I have no idea what it is, other than that it's antiquated and you can't find a job using it anymore. She's tried to learn Java and stuff like that, but couldn't pick it up. To deal with her bi-polar she was basically a hoarder who just blew all her money on stupid stuff (at one point she owned 3 carpet cleaners and at least a half dozen mattress pads). So she too has no savings or retirement. She's finally getting treatment for her issues (been about a year now I guess), but most of the damage has been done, and now she's trying to get the train back on its tracks. In all honesty she'd probably be a candidate for disability like my aunt (also bi-polar), but there's no way she'd get it now as they'd assume she's milking the system being on the last legs of her unemployment and all. Hopefully this, or some other, job comes along ASAP. I just hope if she finds one she can keep it.

RPG is report program generator, one of the first attempts at a next generation language. Mostly used on older and smaller IBM mainframes and a few other computers. Not sure there is much demand anymore.

Yep, mom AND the soon-to-be ex are both bi-polar. My mom does some RPG programming, but mostly COBOL. Like you, I have no idea what it is, other than that it's antiquated and you can't find a job using it anymore. She's tried to learn Java and stuff like that, but couldn't pick it up. To deal with her bi-polar she was basically a hoarder who just blew all her money on stupid stuff (at one point she owned 3 carpet cleaners and at least a half dozen mattress pads). So she too has no savings or retirement. She's finally getting treatment for her issues (been about a year now I guess), but most of the damage has been done, and now she's trying to get the train back on its tracks. In all honesty she'd probably be a candidate for disability like my aunt (also bi-polar), but there's no way she'd get it now as they'd assume she's milking the system being on the last legs of her unemployment and all. Hopefully this, or some other, job comes along ASAP. I just hope if she finds one she can keep it.

Man, our moms are cut from the same cloth. My mom hasn't been officially diagnosed as bipolar but I'm pretty sure she is, and she has the same hoarder / overspending habits as yours. I wish she could see how destructive her habits are and understand that material possessions will never make her truly happy, but thus far, no luck. It's tough always being the responsible one in the family.

:lol: I wasn't going to give away the full extent of my nerdiness, but when I see RPG I automatically think Role Playing Games. :blush:

Oh, FFS, your screenname is "biodork!" You have a dancing test tube and the formula for caffeine as your avatar! That ship sailed long, long ago, sweetheart.

• Like (+1) 3

RPG is report program generator, one of the first attempts at a next generation language. Mostly used on older and smaller IBM mainframes and a few other computers. Not sure there is much demand anymore.

Yeah I think you're right... my guess is the companies that have been using it for a long time will continue to do so for now, but any newer business is going to start on a more advanced system. Horrible timing on the economy with all the people caught at the age where it's kind of too late to go back to school and learn a new language.

Oh, FFS, your screenname is "biodork!" You have a dancing test tube and the formula for caffeine as your avatar! That ship sailed long, long ago, sweetheart.

Really? I thought she was a test tube baby that liked coffee. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (insert appropriate emoticon here)

• Like (+1) 2

My complaint is that I don't have a .edu email address. If you are in school and can't wait to finish so you can join the "real" world, then you are an idiot. Stay in school as long as you F'N can.

Don't know why everyone thinks students have it made... that email account comes with a half-lifetime of debt. Or you could just work at a school. ;)

I had to pitch a price increase to one of our larger customers today due to an unfavorable commodities enironment. As I'm standing in their reception area, MSNBC or something is on in the background giving a blow by blow account of the DOW tanking today and the softening commodities environment.... coupled with growth in China slowing.

CUSTOMER X: "Good to see you again, what is it we need to talk about today?"

ME: "M***** F*****!?!"

Don't know why everyone thinks students have it made... that email account comes with a half-lifetime of debt. Or you could just work at a school. ;)

see thats my evil plan to be an academic and have a cushy job for the next 30 years... .edu address and great benefits sounds pretty good to me but since this is a complaint thread... I don't have a real job and I am stuck at work til 8 and I am freaking hungry and bored....

• Like (+1) 1

Of all the things I thought people would be complaining about today, not one man or woman on here has said anything about the extremely annoying changes that Facebook made yesterday. The fact that everyone was talking about it, even on the radio and telly, should have been an indicator that what they did caused quite a stir.

So, for everyone's amusement, I have the following:

Facebook Changes

I had to pitch a price increase to one of our larger customers today due to an unfavorable commodities environment. As I'm standing in their reception area, MSNBC or something is on in the background giving a blow by blow account of the DOW tanking today and the softening commodities environment.... coupled with growth in China slowing.

CUSTOMER X: "Good to see you again, what is it we need to talk about today?"

ME: "M***** F*****!?!"

Wow. Nearly a 400 point drop, or -3.51%. It's one thing when it's a one-day correction. However, if this is becoming the norm, then that's not a good sign.

Positive posts in this thread. Save it for tomorrow. This thread is all about today.

HABS FANS ARE DELUSIONAL OMFG WOW!!! They are seriously stupid. They think their offense (top two lines) is better than the sabres. Are you freaking kidding me?

I did the math and I'm pissed because I hate math but if you use Gomez, Cammalleri, Plekanec, Gionta, Kostitsyn, Cole as their top six you end up with 285pts in 469gp last season.

Now for the Sabres: Vanek, Pommers, Leino, Roy, Stafford, Ennis as our top six you end up with 314pts in 413gp

OR: the Sabres even with their injuries last season had 29 more pts and played 56 fewer games than Montreal's forwards and the percentage works out to .61 for the habs and .76 for sabres when it comes to percentage of games scored in so the sabres if they played the same number of games would add another 42.56pts to their total so I'll round down meaning that the Sabres top 6 out scored the Candiens 356pts to 285pts or by 71pts.... EPIC FAIL YOU STUPID HABS IDIOTS.

At least after Drury and Briere left we knew that it was going to be ruff and didnt say we still have a great offense! well maybe some did but I didnt so I am complaining about the stupidity of HABS and Leafs fans for your blind following of your crappy teams!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I just got out of a big conference that I've been at since 7:30. Luckily they moved a bit quickly and canceled the last meeting that would be starting right about now. It gave me time to actually get home for a bit. My original plan was to go straight from there to my beer league championship tonight (which I have to watch since I'm getting my knee scoped next week). Being out straight through from 7am until after midnight would have really sucked. But hey, I still will get to do it all over again tomorrow morning.

Definitely tired of work this week. After an 11 hour day on Tuesday, I got to go home and spend an hour scraping dog sh!t off the kitchen floor, give my dog a bath to get the crap off his feet, and mop the floor (twice). And I probably get to do it again today and tomorrow.

My complaint is that I don't have a .edu email address. If you are in school and can't wait to finish so you can join the "real" world, then you are an idiot. Stay in school as long as you F'N can.

And to think that earlier I was going to complain that my thesis isn't writing itself! :lol:

see thats my evil plan to be an academic and have a cushy job for the next 30 years... .edu address and great benefits sounds pretty good to me but since this is a complaint thread... I don't have a real job and I am stuck at work til 8 and I am freaking hungry and bored....

That's what I thought about a career in academia before I came back for grad school. Key word: before. To really, really make it cushy in academia (at least engineering/sciences, I'll say), you have to make it at a top school, and then you've got years of political b.s.: scrambling for grants, endlessly writing proposals, competing for alliances between professors, networking with completely fake douches from universities across the country, etc. Once you get tenure, though, you get to breathe a wee bit...

I started off on a PhD track, because I really enjoyed teaching; then I realized how a career in academia really is, and I'm taking my Masters and running. Be wary, young Liger.

Positive posts in this thread. Save it for tomorrow. This thread is all about today.

Better? :pirate: