Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I love how after a big snowstorm, you'll hear all the comments about how global warming doesn't exist. This has been one of the hottest and wettest summers and now NYC has been hit by a hurricane and a tropical storm in consecutive weeks. I wonder what Dick Chaney and all his lackeys think about global warming now.

This isn't a political thing, either. I just have no patience for people who would rather listen to an industrialist about scientific theory, than listen to actual scientists.

I love how after a big snowstorm, you'll hear all the comments about how global warming doesn't exist. This has been one of the hottest and wettest summers and now NYC has been hit by a hurricane and a tropical storm in consecutive weeks. I wonder what Dick Chaney and all his lackeys think about global warming now.

This isn't a political thing, either. I just have no patience for people who would rather listen to an industrialist about scientific theory, than listen to actual scientists.

Have you seen the documentary The Great Global Warming Swindle? Just asking. Not looking to "start" something.

Are you referring to actual scientists such as Al Gore?

Or are you referring to actual scientists such as Jasper Kirkby, Henrik Svensmark, Eigil Friis-Christensen, and Knud Lassen?

Still in the friend zone, completely blew up my friendship with my ex-gf (which, yes, is a complaint since she's a great person), and it's been FN raining for days. Made the trip from Buffalo to Philly on the bike with the last 200 miles thru the remnants of Lee on Tuesday.

Are you referring to actual scientists such as Al Gore?

Or are you referring to actual scientists such as Jasper Kirkby, Henrik Svensmark, Eigil Friis-Christensen, and Knud Lassen?

Changes in solar activity are a cause of global climate change. Therefore they are the ONLY cause of global climate change? My wife spends a lot of money on shoes. Therefore my gambling addiction is not a cause of our financial distress...

1. When is the NYS DMV going to revise what is included on the road test? Take out ###### like parallel parking and 3 point turns, and include having to go on a busy street(road test locations of East Aurora and Orchard Park don't cut it), make people get on and off the thruway and when possible have them go thru a traffic circle(see my rant below). Also, make it so that once you hit a certain age, you need to take a road test every 5 years(70 or 75???)

2. There are several new traffic circles that have been constructed in WNY over the last few years, and people are clueless as to how something so simple works....the cars ENTERING the circle YIELD to cars IN the circle. Do you idiots not know what yield means?

3. Every year I have chronic cough problems that flare up as soon as the temps start to drop. I've been to the doctors well over a hundred times over the last 30 years and all the visits and tests have never got to the bottom of it. :angry:

Changes in solar activity are a cause of global climate change. Therefore they are the ONLY cause of global climate change? My wife spends a lot of money on shoes. Therefore my gambling addiction is not a cause of our financial distress...

Haven't been able to read the Nature article (don't have a subscription to it), but everything that I have read from credible sources regarding the article indicate that they DON'T claim that cosmic rays and solar activity are the sole cause of global climate change. Which is unlike most of the ninnies that are trying to use their research to make that claim and the ninnies that are trying to discredit them by claiming they make that claim.

But, nice strawman.

[EDIT]And unlike hucksters like Michael Mann, these scientists developed a theory and are actually running experiments to test said theory AND are actually releasing the actual data they've gathered and used in testing their theory so that actual scientists can weigh in on whether their theory is a bunch of hooey.

Again, nice strawman.

1. When is the NYS DMV going to revise what is included on the road test? Take out ###### like parallel parking and 3 point turns,

Nice timing on this one...

1. On my drive to work this morning, a school bus decided to make a 3 point turn on a busy street. Needless to say, I didn't make it in to work exactly when I wanted to. I wasn't really mad about the whole thing though, it was kind of hilarious to watch.

2. And completely unrelated to that, I turned 30 and I haven't seen the sun since. Kind of ominous if you ask me.

1. When is the NYS DMV going to revise what is included on the road test? Take out ###### like parallel parking and 3 point turns, and include having to go on a busy street(road test locations of East Aurora and Orchard Park don't cut it), make people get on and off the thruway and when possible have them go thru a traffic circle(see my rant below). Also, make it so that once you hit a certain age, you need to take a road test every 5 years(70 or 75???)

2. There are several new traffic circles that have been constructed in WNY over the last few years, and people are clueless as to how something so simple works....the cars ENTERING the circle YIELD to cars IN the circle. Do you idiots not know what yield means?

3. Every year I have chronic cough problems that flare up as soon as the temps start to drop. I've been to the doctors well over a hundred times over the last 30 years and all the visits and tests have never got to the bottom of it. :angry:

You don't live in the city of Buffalo, do you? Parallel parking and K-turns are a way of life here.

As for traffic circles, the biggest problem I have is crossing them on foot, not driving through 'em. Ever try to get across Niagara "Square" while walking on Delaware? You're taking your life in your hands.

Maybe they're from New Jersey, they generally run the traffic circles backwards there (traffic in the circle yields to entering traffic). So messed up.

Haven't been able to read the Nature article (don't have a subscription to it), but everything that I have read from credible sources regarding the article indicate that they DON'T claim that cosmic rays and solar activity are the sole cause of global climate change. Which is unlike most of the ninnies that are trying to use their research to make that claim and the ninnies that are trying to discredit them by claiming they make that claim.

But, nice strawman.

[EDIT]And unlike hucksters like Michael Mann, these scientists developed a theory and are actually running experiments to test said theory AND are actually releasing the actual data they've gathered and used in testing their theory so that actual scientists can weigh in on whether their theory is a bunch of hooey.

Again, nice strawman.

My apologies, I thought you were making that claim. Figured based on your negative reference to Gore that you were trying to deny that atmospheric composition is a primary cause of global climate change augmenting the cyclical changes in cosmic energy fields.

"It's a Jump-to-conclusions-mat.."

I developed a chronic cough when I moved out here to cincinnati (terrible air) and no one seemed to be able to figure anything out, but my physician put me on Singulair a couple years ago, and it has been an absolute wonder drug for me. It works like an anti-histamine, but it blocks a different protein, one that gets the surface of the lungs over excited. Not sure if you've been down that road, but it might be worth a look.

My apologies, I thought you were making that claim. Figured based on your negative reference to Gore that you were trying to deny that atmospheric composition is a primary cause of global climate change augmenting the cyclical changes in cosmic energy fields.

"It's a Jump-to-conclusions-mat.."

It's cool.

But as far as scientific acumen in concerned, I have just a smidge less respect for the Divinity School dropout than I have for the former playmate/ candies model / autism activist. Primarily because she doesn't seem to have a financial interest in pushing her brand of stupidity, though she has to date caused more personal suffering than he has, but I have faith that he'll catch up in time.

It's cool.

But as far as scientific acumen in concerned, I have just a smidge less respect for the Divinity School dropout than I have for the former playmate/ candies model / autism activist. Primarily because she doesn't seem to have a financial interest in pushing her brand of stupidity, though she has to date caused more personal suffering than he has, but I have faith that he'll catch up in time.

but if we don't listen to celebrities, who will tell us how to think?

You don't live in the city of Buffalo, do you? Parallel parking and K-turns are a way of life here.

As for traffic circles, the biggest problem I have is crossing them on foot, not driving through 'em. Ever try to get across Niagara "Square" while walking on Delaware? You're taking your life in your hands.

Even so, the parallel parking done on the road test is nothing like what you are doing on a daily basis. It is one car on the street with wide open curb behind that car. It is not, here are two cars with a 10 ft opening between them, go for it.

But, nice strawman.

Again, nice strawman.

But I really liked "Miami Vice" and "Ali." Disappointing to learn he's a rabble-rouser.

Also, make it so that once you hit a certain age, you need to take a road test every 5 years(70 or 75???)

Sunday afternoon I was on Grand Island Blvd just north of Fantasy Island and came across this scene just after it happened:

An elderly woman had "fallen asleep" at the wheel, drifted off the right side of the road, ripped off her oil pan and exhaust when she "passed over" a sewer entrance, then drove/coasted another 100-150 yds(!) through brush and between trees before her car died from lack of fluids. No skid marks it seems she "slept" even through that bumpy terrain until the car stopped on its own. We stopped to help and she got out of her car, said "I fell asleep - it happens all the time". She said her brother lived right around the corner and she was going to walk there. We called the cops and by the time the police showed up she was gone. We talked to the cops and he said "I think I know who you're talking about - she was driving around her son's apartment parking lot last weekend hitting dumpsters (plural)" Then she comes wandering back and I point her out to him and he says "yeah that's her".

I hope he took her license but somehow I bet she's out there "driving" right now.

Sunday afternoon I was on Grand Island Blvd just north of Fantasy Island and came across this scene just after it happened:

An elderly woman had "fallen asleep" at the wheel, drifted off the right side of the road, ripped off her oil pan and exhaust when she "passed over" a sewer entrance, then drove/coasted another 100-150 yds(!) through brush and between trees before her car died from lack of fluids. We stopped to help and she got out of her car, said "I fell asleep - it happens all the time". She said her brother lived right around the corner and she was going to walk there. We called the cops and by the time the police showed up she was gone. We talked to the cops and he said "I think I know who you're talking about - she was driving around her son's apartment parking lot last weekend hitting dumpsters (plural)" Then she comes wandering back and I point her out to him and he says "yeah that's her".

I hope he took her license but somehow I bet she's out there "driving" right now.

I guess she was driving under the effluence.