Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Do you sprain your MCL when you dislocate your knee cap?

Typically yes, because when the knee cap comes out of the channel, it typically slides to the outside of the knee (leg) and results in an MCL sprain. Fortunately I was down in the butterfly so there wasn't as much room for the leg to bend as it would have been if I was standing, so I didn't strain the MCL too bad. It wasn't as bad this time as the first time and really only resulted in minor swelling.

Apparently in my case the chance of dislocation is increased because my knee cap not only sits up higher, but is also shorter than it should be. The knee cap, by general rule, should be the same size as the distance between the bottom of the knee cap and where the patellar tendon attaches to the Tibia. By strengthening my quads it should strengthen the quadriceps tendon holding the kneecap in place and prevent it from sliding as much.

This stuff gives me the heebie jeebies. I hate talking about ligaments. :sick:

Speaking of hockey stuff, I hate refs that call a penalty on me even though he's looking the other way. And of course to make matters worse, he then doesn't blow the whistle when we have the puck, leading to the game winning goal being scored on that delayed "penalty" with about 30 seconds left in the game.

Speaking of hockey stuff, I hate refs that call a penalty on me even though he's looking the other way. And of course to make matters worse, he then doesn't blow the whistle when we have the puck, leading to the game winning goal being scored on that delayed "penalty" with about 30 seconds left in the game.

So lost in the backstory, were you guilty?

Typically yes, because when the knee cap comes out of the channel, it typically slides to the outside of the knee (leg) and results in an MCL sprain. Fortunately I was down in the butterfly so there wasn't as much room for the leg to bend as it would have been if I was standing, so I didn't strain the MCL too bad. It wasn't as bad this time as the first time and really only resulted in minor swelling.

Apparently in my case the chance of dislocation is increased because my knee cap not only sits up higher, but is also shorter than it should be. The knee cap, by general rule, should be the same size as the distance between the bottom of the knee cap and where the patellar tendon attaches to the Tibia. By strengthening my quads it should strengthen the quadriceps tendon holding the kneecap in place and prevent it from sliding as much.

This stuff gives me the heebie jeebies. I hate talking about ligaments. :sick:

I suffered from knee problems my entire life. Knee cap dislocates and the MCL sprains. I was told everything at one point or another - my knee caps were too small, they were shaped funny, I needed to strengthen quad tendons, etc, etc. Lived with it, kept playing sports, and destroyed my knee. Hockey is particularly hard on the problem, and I would guess goalies especially so, because of the amount of time and weight and pressure spent on the inside edge - placing the knee in that position primes the knee cap for dislocation.

About 4 years ago, after yet again spraining the knee, I went to see a local orthopedist. His son and mine played hockey together, and he was the team doctor for the local ECHL team, so I figured what the hell. He did the x-rays, took my history, did an MRI, and then told me that the reason this happens is because the anatomical alignment of my suprapatellar lligament wasn't quite right, so my knee cap was always primed to come out of the channel it is supposed to ride in. He recommended a procedure known as a distal relocation of the tibial tubercle. It involves an arthroscopic release of the knee cap - they cut some of the connective tissue holding it in place so it can move to its new location - and then an open procedure where they cut off the tibial tuburcle - the part of the tibia where the suprapatellar ligament attaches - move it medially into an anatomic location - and screw it back down.

The surgery was not fun at all - but after the rehab was completed it's like I have a brand new knee. 4 years later I still haven't dislocated the knee cap or sprained the knee. No problems at all. Running, skating, hunting you name it, never once a problem.

My knee was bad. It was to the point where I could step off a curb wrong and sprain it. I walked on the outside of my feet because I was guarding so bad, and that made the problem worse. Go talk to a top flight orthopedic surgeon who has a good deal of experience with knees. Preferably someone involved with professional athletes. I wish I had this procedure done 15 years ago.

So lost in the backstory, were you guilty?

I tied a guy up on a faceoff at center ice. It might technically have been interference, but it was pretty much a case of two people trying to go the same direction off the draw. When he couldn't move, he dove into my legs to take me out. Ref turns around, sees me on top of him and assumes I took him down.

I suffered from knee problems my entire life. Knee cap dislocates and the MCL sprains. I was told everything at one point or another - my knee caps were too small, they were shaped funny, I needed to strengthen quad tendons, etc, etc. Lived with it, kept playing sports, and destroyed my knee. Hockey is particularly hard on the problem, and I would guess goalies especially so, because of the amount of time and weight and pressure spent on the inside edge - placing the knee in that position primes the knee cap for dislocation.

About 4 years ago, after yet again spraining the knee, I went to see a local orthopedist. His son and mine played hockey together, and he was the team doctor for the local ECHL team, so I figured what the hell. He did the x-rays, took my history, did an MRI, and then told me that the reason this happens is because the anatomical alignment of my suprapatellar lligament wasn't quite right, so my knee cap was always primed to come out of the channel it is supposed to ride in. He recommended a procedure known as a distal relocation of the tibial tubercle. It involves an arthroscopic release of the knee cap - they cut some of the connective tissue holding it in place so it can move to its new location - and then an open procedure where they cut off the tibial tuburcle - the part of the tibia where the suprapatellar ligament attaches - move it medially into an anatomic location - and screw it back down.

The surgery was not fun at all - but after the rehab was completed it's like I have a brand new knee. 4 years later I still haven't dislocated the knee cap or sprained the knee. No problems at all. Running, skating, hunting you name it, never once a problem.

My knee was bad. It was to the point where I could step off a curb wrong and sprain it. I walked on the outside of my feet because I was guarding so bad, and that made the problem worse. Go talk to a top flight orthopedic surgeon who has a good deal of experience with knees. Preferably someone involved with professional athletes. I wish I had this procedure done 15 years ago.

Great information, thank you. I'm glad there's someone else out there dealt with this same BS. I might have a talk with the sports med staff here at RIT and see if there's anyone they recommend going to. It's nice knowing the people here. It just worries me knowing my Uncle's history with knee problems from HS football and having had both knees replaced (twice, due to a motorcycle accident a month after he was finally cleared to ride after the first surgery). I just want to play sports but not wind up one of those people who can't walk later in life because of it.

I feel I should mention that the first time I did this was in 09, at the peak of my out-of-shapeness and it was while dancing to Thriller at a party. Talk about stupid. It's okay though, I got MJ back. :pirate:

Went to a NYS retirement planning seminar today. This is what I put up with...

1. Despite the seminar host stating at the very beginning of the day to take any conversations outside, I got saddled with two women right next to me, who decided to talk all day long.

2. A Darwin award candidate sitting near the front, gets up in the middle of a presentation and instead of heading to the back of the room and out the door, he walks right in front of the presenter and the screen and out the door in front of the meeting room.

3. Same two women mentioned in #1 come back from lunch(don't know what they did during LUNCH) and proceeded to eat their stinky lunches during the afternoon presentation.

4. People asking questions that if they were listening, were answered at some earlier point in the seminar.

I am fairly certain last weekend's "Supermoon" has fried the brains of many of my customers. Some of the calls and requests I got over the last few days prompted me to instruct my staff to search the lobby for hidden cameras and microphones. I was certain someone was setting us up "Candid Camera"-style with all these odd questions and complaints.

My boss has been preparing a paper for publication for a few months now, and even though I am listed as the second author, last Friday was the first I received the full paper for review and on Monday she decided to send it out to the other authors before I had a chance to read it. So yesterday I read the thing, and it still includes sections with incorrect (and poorly written) information that I already corrected when she sent me a partial version SIX WEEKS AGO. Also contains sections where she has asked us to write a description on how something was done, and then she changed it without asking to a version that is also factually incorrect. :wallbash:

FWIW... My link

I still need to get one of these myself. 8" sabres decal

Now for the complaint. I'm with Cheez. FU SNOW!

Thanks but the shipping could be up to 30 business days! That's six weeks. By then we could be on the golf course. I'll just have to wait until my twice annual trip back to the arena next season....

I'm really hoping we don't play the flyers in the 1st rd. All MSG broadcasts will be blacked out weather home or away. I'm going to have to pay for the Full NHL gamecenter to avoid the comcast clowns here in Philadelphia.

Unless of course I could get a slingbox hook up. :thumbsup:

Great information, thank you. I'm glad there's someone else out there dealt with this same BS. I might have a talk with the sports med staff here at RIT and see if there's anyone they recommend going to. It's nice knowing the people here. It just worries me knowing my Uncle's history with knee problems from HS football and having had both knees replaced (twice, due to a motorcycle accident a month after he was finally cleared to ride after the first surgery). I just want to play sports but not wind up one of those people who can't walk later in life because of it.

I feel I should mention that the first time I did this was in 09, at the peak of my out-of-shapeness and it was while dancing to Thriller at a party. Talk about stupid. It's okay though, I got MJ back. :pirate:

Knee woes suck. I feel for you guys. My knee was shattered in a car accident a few years back, and I still have five screws in there holding it together. Even though my docs said that I have recovered as well as could possibly be expected, I'm still looking at a total knee replacement before I'm 50.

Yes, this. The next tree-hugger that utters the phrase "global warming" is getting a mouthful of yellow snow. :pirate:

I KNOW this guy could use some of that yellow stuff!!!

Like one of my friends (who happens to be a meteorologist) told me one time, "I think he should be criminally indicted for fraud".

Word.

I just spent $11 to see Suckerpunch, and it was easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If you watch it, do so with friends, and be sure to pretend you're playing mystery science theater. Also, drink during or before.

Or just wait till it comes out in Redbox.

Tonight's March Madness games - specifically Duke and BYU losing - have probably ended any shot I had at winning my office pool. Especially since I had Duke winning it all.

Sorry about your brackets but how can it be a bad thing when Duke flames out?

LOL... I use to like Duke too... But I soured on them much like the Yankees.. Maybe soured isn't the right word, burned out might be more appropriate.

Nice thing is, though, Duke can't go out and buy a contender every year. But I get your point.

I have sort of an EP-sized list of complaints:

1, Tiësto is way too overrated.

2, John OO Fleming is way too underrated.

3, Maybe it's a girl thing, but I certainly can't dig this (with all due apologies to the lone person who created this page).

4, With all due apologies to Ron White, "You can't fix stupid Albany".

Nice thing is, though, Duke can't go out and buy a contender every year. But I get your point.

Yes and no. They seem to get the top recruits EVERY STINKIN' YEAR. I have all the respect in the world for Mike Krzyzewski, but it's ridiculous at how many of these players end up there. I know they have to be held to the academic standards to get in and stay in, but c'mon...

Being a Tar Heel fan probably doesn't help my attitude.